Profile for D21 > Reviews

JELLY with Bompas & Parr
by Sam Bompas and Harry Parr
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A slice of wobbly fun, 15 Jan 2011
Bompas & Parr are the Willy Wonkas of jelly and this book takes the humble jelly to an entirely new level.

This book provides some very useful information about making smooth and tasty jellies (I found the information about which types of gelatine to use particularly helpful) and making them look as nice as they taste - especially the stripey clementine jelly which is a great crowd pleaser :)

My only slight criticism of this book is that sometimes style wins out over substance, and the luxurious creations they show off cannot feasibly be recreated at home - the moulds they use are often fantastic but unavailable to us mere mortals.

On the whole though this is a great book and offers something no other does, if you love the thought of beautiful jelly that packs a massive taste then look no further!

The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accessories
The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accessories
by David Lebovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth giving up shop bought ice cream for!, 15 Jan 2011
I stumbled upon this book when looking for a place to start making ice cream using a machine and was initially impressed by the sheer variety of recipes on offer (I would never have thought to include cheese in an ice cream before reading this book!).

When it arrived I was incredibly impressed by the sheer detail offered into how to master the basics - how to make a custard, how long to leave flavours to steep and even such simple concepts as using cool mixtures in the machine rather than warm.

Once I'd mastered the basic vanilla I couldn't wait to start tucking into some of the more exciting recipes and to date I have made the following:
Dark chocolate raspberry
Coconut
Sour Cream strawberry
Peanut butter and chocolate
Pear and caramel
Pear & Pecorino cheese

And (with the exception of the cheese one which I found a bit too crazy for my palette) they have all been delicious (particularly the pear caramel / coconut) and since buying this book I have given up my haagen dazs habit as everything coming out of this book tastes so much better :)

Bottom line - if you have an ice cream machine or are at all serious about ice cream, this book is an essential purchase!