Profile for Willow > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
On The Island
On The Island

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: On The Island (Kindle Edition)
"Thinking that our relationship was about to get complicated might have been an understatement"

So it has taken me a while to actually read this book. I kept putting it off. I had read that T.J is in remission from Cancer. I thought this was going to feature heavily in the book and I usually steer clear of books involving the big C, but some book friends said this was a must read, so on holiday, whilst sunbathing by an amazing pool, I finally took the plunge.

They were totally right, it is a must read and I really don't know why I waited so long to read it. Because of the hype, so many people telling me telling me to read it, I had set the bar high and it was amazing, but maybe I had set the bar too high because I can't quite bring myself to give it 5 stars.

The book is about T.J and Anna. Anna has accepted a job for the summer tutoring T.J whilst he is on a family holiday in the Maldives. T.J's family have gone on ahead and for different reasons T.J and Anna take a later flight. Unfortunately the pilot on their seaplane has a heart attack and it goes down. They luckily both wash up on an island and have to learn how to live there whilst awaiting rescue, which may not arrive.

Another reason that I was slightly put of the book was the ages of the characters. T.J is 16 years old at the start of the book and Anna is older at 30 years old. However a lot of time spans in this book and you can feel the characters growing and evolving during it. Nothing happens between the characters until T.J is older and towards the end of the book I no longer thought of T.J the young boy but T.J the man.

I have to say that the book wasn't quite what I was expecting and whilst I loved T.J and Anna's relationship develop whilst they are on the Island, it was actually the aftermath that gripped me most. Tracey did an amazing job of getting the feelings and opinions I would imagine would follow that experience for those effected.

There was a lot of emotion in the book, not enough to make me cry, but I am known as the Ice Queen, so you may find that you do cry at parts.

"the hope I'd clung to since our plane went down splintered into a million tiny shards that day, like a glass block someone pounded with a sledgehammer."

One thing I loved about this book is that it is told from dual POVs which really helps you understand what they are both going through and really makes you feel connected to the characters.

I totally got lost in this book and it was an extremely easy read. If you still haven't read it, you really must, it is a book that will stay with you and you will be thinking about it for many days, and from what others have said, months later too. Go and one click it now!

"You weren't supposed to fall in love" she whispered. "Well, I did" I said.

Unhinged
Unhinged

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 - 4 stars, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Unhinged (Kindle Edition)
"Whoever he was, there was something about him....
Something that Unhinged me."

I picked this book up because I had heard that it was actually a book by Nicole Edwards just written under a different name. The reason for this is because Nicole did not want her fans to think that it was going to be a traditional Nicole Edwards book which sit firmly in the erotica category. This book is completely different, it was much more of a sweet romance.

The book starts with Peyton having a dream about a guy, but not knowing who he is, although she's had the dream before. All she knows is she doesn't want it to end. But alas, she has to get up to go to the new job she has just started.

The new job is working for Mr Conrad Trovato, CEO of Trovato inc, a high end car/ engine designer. Wait, I know what you're thinking - nope this isn't one of those books! Payton is sent to Mr Trovato's house one day on an errand. There she literally meets the guy of her dreams.

"Holy crap.
He was the guy from my dream. The dream I'd had for the last couple of weeks. He was the guy I couldn't look away from, the one I would try to call back just before I would awaken abruptly"

He introduces himself as Sebastian and Payton assumes that he is Mr Trovato's mechanic.

The book is told from dual POV, so we get inside Sebastian's head too. He has also had a dream a about a girl who unhinged him, and yep you've guessed it, it's Payton.

Sebastian is not who Payton thinks he is though, he has a secret.

I really did enjoy reading this book, it was an easy read, the words flowed well and it kept me engaged. It was funny in parts and Sebastian is HOT! As the story progress' Sebastian emerges as having a bit of a bad boy persona. Did I also mention he has Tats and piercings? Hell yes, he's definitely hot! He's also told to stay away from Payton, but he can't get her out of his head either and so definitely breaks that rule!

"There was only one problem. She unhinged me. And I wasn't strong enough to resist her."

The book is a really short read though at only 184 or so pages and I was disappointed to find just as I was really immersed in the book it ended. On top of that it ends on a massive cliffhanger. Sebastian is just about to tell Payton a huge secret, not the one we as readers know already of who he really is, but a new secret and although you kind of get the gist of what he's about to say, it is shocking and you don't know the how, why or what Payton's reaction will be. So the book definitely leaves you wanting more, but I'll admit I found this hugely frustrating. Luckily the second book in the series is now out.

In summary, overall this was a good book that had me laughing in places and definitely lusting after Sebastian. The secrets he held added mystery to the book and kept it engaging. Although I said this is a sweeter Romance, there were still a couple of hot scenes that left you wanting more, just don't expect Nicole Edwards hot. Although there is the element of them both dreaming about the other before they met, this is not a paranormal book in any way. The disappointment for me came in the shortness of the book and it feeling like it ended just as it started to get going. That said it is a reasonably priced book and with the next one already out, It is worth having a read. I've started book two Unraveling and my review of that will be up shortly.

For more reviews visit The Romance Cover book blog.

Rocket Dog Womens Oralee Thong Sandals ORALE-BLK Black Seprantine 5 UK, 38 EU
Rocket Dog Womens Oralee Thong Sandals ORALE-BLK Black Seprantine 5 UK, 38 EU
Offered by Onlineshoe

5.0 out of 5 stars fab flip flops :-), 11 Sept. 2014
Very comfortable, true to size. Great price, look great.

Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain Series Book 3)
Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved Lexie!, 25 July 2014
I'm going to start off by saying this was my least favourite Colorado Mountain book, but that's not a negative, I just found The Gamble & Sweet Dreams had an edge to them that I felt this one didn't.

I found the beginning really interesting. Initially told from Lexie's POV, she is sent to pick up a guy from prison and take him where he needs to go. You see this is a favour for an acquaintance who just doesn't say no, so she agrees to this favour get him off her back for a while. The guy she has to pick up? Ty Walker - a man with little words.

I really struggled with Ty at first, he really doesn't say a lot, a few one word answers or commands here and there. I guess I just didn't get him. I was worried that I would feel like this for the duration of the book, but the mystery of why Ty was in prison and why Lexie was caught up doing her acquaintance's bidding kept me reading on.

What I loved about this book was that, unlike the previous two Colorado Mountain books I'd read, this one is told in alternative POV, which you really need so you can understand Ty much better. I found his parts made it a lot easier for me to connect to him and soon I was loving every part of this book.

Lexie's acquaintance owes Ty and Ty is cashing in, He needs a woman to marry and go back with him to his home whilst he works on his revenge plan for the people who were responsible for getting him sent to prison. The woman he's sent is Lexie. It becomes clear to Ty that Lexie isn't aware of the whole story of why she has been sent to him. Ty lays a deal on the table for Lexie, marry him whilst he gets his s*** done, then she can go on her merry way. In return, she gets cash, jewellery but most importantly protection from her acquaintance and a way to escape a life that she's been trying to get away from.

We get to see Ty and Lexie's relationship develop and they start to become a "real" couple. Lexie's back story is revealed and we get to meet some of her family/friends. Back in Ty's home in Carnal, he is intent on getting revenge, but he's up against not only criminals but dirty cops and we start to learn why and by who Ty was set up.

I have to say that whilst the first part of the book was interesting and engaging, I kind of lost my way half way through, it didn't feel like a lot was happening and I ended up putting it down to go off and read other books, though I kept dipping in and out of it. Eventually it picked up for me again and towards the end, it felt like everything was happening and I couldn't put it down.

Ty and Lexie do have a bumpy road, there are highs and lows. My heart broke for Lexie on more than one occasion. I totally loved Lexie, she's probably my favourite Mountain lady. She was so understanding and open and was willing to put herself out there, she seemed sweet and unsure at times, but other times, she was "throwing sass" and being super "goofy"

You have the added bonus of this being mainly set in Carnal so all the favourites were there, with Tate & Laurie, Krystal, Maggie, Deke, Jim Billy and more plus mentions of Max and Nina and Shambles cakes!(which the descriptions always make me so hungry!)

Although I lost my way half way through, this was still another good read from Kristen, and I know that for some people Ty is their favourite so this book is definitely worth a read!

Review for The Romance Cover book blog

Perfectly Damaged
Perfectly Damaged

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Story with Beautiful Characters, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Perfectly Damaged (Kindle Edition)
"Everyone suffers from their own struggles, whether they're big or small. There's no such thing as having a flawless life."

Two things I absolutely love in books - something a little different from the norm and something we can all relate to in some way. This book has both. Yes we've all read books before where one of the main characters has issues, but I've not read a romance book where the main character has mental health issues and for me this book was more about this and the road to recovery than the romance. As for things we can all relate to, the line I quoted at the start is just one of many (I went highlighter crazy!) I think we will all relate to on some level - it's true, no matter how perfect someone's life appears to be, you never know what they are truly going through.

The book starts in true EL Montes style, with something that will keep you guessing what's happened. Jenna McDaniel has woken up from a nightmare and rushes to her sisters room, only to be met with what she expected, but hoped not to be true - it's empty. Brooke is no longer there. Through the book we learn that Brooke has died, however we are left guessing for sometime as to the how and why. Brooke's death has had a huge impact on Jenna as you can imagine and she is struggling with her grief:

"Grief never goes away. It haunts you, takes over your mind, body and soul. Before you know it, it has won."

But grief isn't all Jenna is going though. Jenna suffers from Schizoaffective disorder. She's depressed and suffers from hallucinations and occasionally voices in her head. This has lead her to be a closed person, she tries not to feel emotion, shutting herself off from the world.

"Fear is one of my most battled emotions. Fear of the unknown, of never knowing where each step will lead..... It terrifies me."

Jenna's mum has decided to build a guest house and on the construction team is Logan Reed.

"A truck. Tats. And a cocky attitude."

I totally loved Logan and his cocky attitude and I loved the banter that they had. On their first meeting he helps Jenna out of a difficult situation which ends up with them kissing.

"He's a good kisser. He tastes like an apple-flavoured Jolly Rancher, which is usually the one flavour I ditch in the pack; after this it may become my favourite."

Sure, Jenna enjoyed it and she is attracted to Logan, but she knows it was just a one off , it can never be anymore, no one will ever want to get close to her when they know all about her. Logan on the other hand thinks a little different. He can't stop thinking about the kiss and wants a repeat performance. As they see each other more, they become friends, Logan wants more though and knows that Jenna is hiding something, if only he can just peel her layers.

Jenna has a real struggle here, she knows what people think of her when they find out about her illness. Will it make Logan run too?

"Jenna McDaniel, the girl with more issues than she can carry. No man will ever be able to handle them. Not even Logan Reed."

As I said before, yes this is a romance book, but it's more about a person suffering with mental illness and the struggles they go through, not only do we watch Jenna struggling with her feeling for Logan, trying to keep him away, but wanting him close, Thinking it's best for him not to know about her illness and the everyday struggles she faces, but we see her dealing with her mother who is a major trigger for her. Readers, make no mistake, this woman is a total bitch, the way she treats Jenna by not supporting, but actually contributing to triggering episodes for Jenna will have you seething. Luckily she does have a best friend on her side, Charlie. Charlie was actually Jenna's sister, Brooke's best friend, but knowing of Jenna's illness Charlie looks out for her and the two became friends. I totally love Charlie, she adds some humour to the book.

The book is told from alternating points of view between Jenna and Logan, which was great seeing not only what Jenna was going through, but how Logan perceived her behaviour and how he felt about it. There was one part of the book though where I would have liked to have seen what Logan was going through but alas, we just got Jenna's pov. I understand why the author chose to do this though ~ I'm just greedy!

I think EL did a fantastic job of portraying the darkness a person feels they have in them and the fear that people might find out and what they would think of them. Also what others around them might have to deal with. There are several things in this book that anyone suffering with, or is supporting someone with depression or other mental illness will relate to.

I do want to just share one of my favourite lines ~ there's hope for us all:

" ..everyone has issues and there's someone out there, regardless of what you may think, who can handle anything you're dealing with - because maybe that person needs you as much as you need them."

In summary this book has got the right balance of being a great romance book, that highlights mental illness' and the struggles that those suffering with or trying to support someone with an illness has to go through, without it being too heavy.

"That's why I just live for today, and push for tomorrow."

Love, in English
Love, in English

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best book yet. (And I'm a massive EiT fan!), 27 April 2014
This review is from: Love, in English (Kindle Edition)
"Love causes war and causes death, breaks souls and breaks lives. It runs people into the ground, makes them behave like moronic, immoral beasts, before it dances off, leaving only destruction in its wake - hearts blown wide open for the whole world to see."

It's no secret that I am a huge Karina Halle fan so I usually dive right into her books and speed read them because I'm desperate to see what happens in the end. This book was totally different. It took me a long time to read, but it's because It was so good, I wanted to soak up every single word. In short, I thought it was the best book Karina has written.

It has a different feel to what she has written before, no paranormal and no suspense, it's not an "action" book like the Artist Trilogy. It's all about the journey the main character makes and about love. This book does contain cheating but it's like nothing I've ever read. Usually the main character is the one being cheated on, or perhaps is the cheater, but in this book we see what it's like to be "the other woman".

Canadian Vera Miles has never felt she belonged anywhere and so wants to get away, experience something new and so she signs up for teaching conversational English to Spanish business men and women in Spain during her summer break. A piece of advice is given to her before she arrives at the resort - don't fall in love, and she doesn't intend to, that's not her style....

Until she meets Mateo Casalles that is. Totally gorgeous, confident and unfortunately married Mateo. Although Vera is attracted to him, she would never want to be involved in cheating - she's seen the results of that.

As Vera settles in she starts to understand what the advice meant as she sees other people on the program hooking up together. She builds friendships and starts to feel like she belongs. One of the close friendships she forms is with Mateo, she looks forward to her teaching sessions with him (well who wouldn't!!) and spends time with him during their free time. Although nothing physical has happened between them, people start assuming they are sleeping together because of their close friendship. This leads Vera to question whether what they are doing is really as innocent as she once thought.

"Sometimes I thought I was a terrible person"

Vera does struggle with her feelings towards Mateo and sometimes questions whether their friendship and actions are morally wrong. I think that is why this book has so much power. Everyone usually sees "the other woman" as just as much to blame, and they do need to take some responsibility, but it does makes you stop and think how she sometimes may feel and what she might be going through.

It isn't all about Mateo and Vera, it's also about Vera finding herself, finding friends and finding a place to belong. It's about a journey Vera is on, but all journeys must come to an end.

"There will be nights when you will feel alone and lost" he murmured in my hair. "Where I will feel alone and lost. When that happens, I want us both to remember this, right now. Bring our thoughts back to this room, this moment. Where we aren't lonely. Where we are both found."

So what happens after the program is over and everyone has to go back to their lives? When reality hits? When you realise there is a world outside the program? I loved that this book is spilt into three parts, which include part 1 which is in Spain and part 2 which follows Vera in the aftermath of the program.

"Don't you ever think that sometimes love isn't enough? That it can't over come everything?"

This book is definitely an emotional roller coaster ride. It has many ups and downs and there will be many of you that cry. Did I cry? Yes, but for me it's because I felt that Karina did such an amazing job at making you feel what the characters are going through, it did open old wounds.

The characters are well written and anyone who has been cheated on, been a cheater, been "the other woman", or has fallen in love or lost in love, will find a connection to one or more of the characters in this book and let's face it, that pretty much covers all of us!!

I will warn you, you will definitely fall in love with Mateo. You will love Vera. You may get frustrated at some of the decisions they make, you will feel pain and you will feel love, but those are the best books aren't they? If your looking for a story about perfect love this isn't it. But if you're looking for a book that has real life love, that often doesn't come at the right time, this book is for you. It's a definite must read in my opinion, but take your time, savour each word, each feeling.

"What is love in English"
I raised my brows. "Love, in English, is love"
"What is it in Spanish?"
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. "Amore"
He shook his head ever so slightly. "No. Love in Spanish is you"

Donners of the Dead
Donners of the Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars ~ Edgy and Dark, 24 Feb. 2014
I am a massive Karina Halle fan so was excited as always when I heard she had another book coming out, but I'll be upfront, I was really worried it wasn't going to be for me. But not because of the horror aspect, because it's set in the 1850's. I don't tend to read books that are set in the past, so I did start to read this book with trepidation that I might not enjoy it as much as her other books.

I was wrong.

Karina just has a way with words that captures your imagination and after reading the first chapter my fear had completely been forgotten, I was sucked in deep. I said I would just read for half an hour, but two hours whizzed by in the blink of an eye. Something about this book felt raw and gritty and I wanted more of it.

The story is about Eve, a young half Native girl who lives with her Uncle on his farm. Her father, a native, was the best tracker around the little settlement of River Bend. But with him missing, when five strangers roll in looking for a local tracker, it's Eve's name on everyone's lips. With her Uncle striking a deal with the strangers, Eve sets off with her friend, Avery and a female escort Donna. Their mission ~ to find out what had happened to George Clark, a family member of one of the strangers. He had set out for the Donner Party trail and never returned.

"Jake was in the Texas Rangers with me. We fought Monterey together. He's the best shot I've ever met, the best horsemam, and -if you believe the rumours- has killed a bear or two with only a pocket knife."

Jake McGraw, one of the five strangers, did not appear to like Eve. He is cold towards her and hardly speaks. Eve does not care much for him either and tries to keep out of his way but with her being the tracker, she has to be up front with him and not with her companions. As Eve spends time with these strangers and listens to their story of why they are out here searching, she starts to doubt their tale. She's doesn't have time to worry about it though when it soon becomes clear that they are not out there alone.

They are being stalked by something or someone.

With stories of the Donner Party turning towards Cannibalism to fight to stay alive during the harsh winter they were stranded in these parts, and then Eve's party finding bones, Eve worries what's out there? Man or Monster?

With the party being picked off one by one, Eve must look towards Jake to stay alive. As the two spend more time together fighting to survive, they start to become closer. But will they get out with their lives?

This book had me teetering on the edge of my seat the whole way through. It felt edgy and original and nothing like I had read before. Karina has an amazing, dark and scary imagination and a brilliant talent of getting this imagination into words to make the reader forget where they are, forget time and feel the horror her characters feel. You really should one click this now!

Review for The Romance Cover book blog

More Than This (More Book 1)
More Than This (More Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it Loved it Loved it, 30 Aug. 2013
Yes people I loved this book more than a lot! I totally couldn't put it down and got drawn into the story. It was an amazing book from a debut author and I cannot wait to read more from her. This book totally got under my skin. Im not going to write a big long review because I don't think I can actually do it justice! but go buy it now. :-)

Epilogue (The Dark Duet Book 3)
Epilogue (The Dark Duet Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fab book in the series, 30 Aug. 2013
was so excited when I heard CJ Roberts was doing an Epilogue because I wanted to know what happened to Livvie and Caleb after the ending of SitD. Sure, he tracked her down and she didn't call the police, but what happened after? How do they get on now they aren't in the same situation. How can Livvie forgive Caleb after leaving her? I wanted these answers - I got them.

I gave both Captive in the Dark & Seduced in the Dark 5 stars and although this book is very different it's definitely a 5 star book.

I loved how this book is written as Caleb talking to the reader. I found him funny at the beginning and actually went highlighter mad. Here are a few to give you a taster:

"She hit me so hard my damn eyes were watering (I was not crying - eyes water. I think we all know I'm a badass and I don't cry) "

"Nice car" she said.
"wait until you get inside. Its my favourite part." And yes, gentle readers, I am that smooth"

They have a lot they have to get past in order to move forward and I love the fact that Caleb mentions its quite sick how after everything he's done Livvie loves him.

"I am the man who kidnapped Livvie. I am the man who held her in a dark room for weeks. I am the one who tied her to a bed post and beat her. Im the one who nearly sold her into sexual slavery. But, most importantly, I am the man she loves. She loves me. It's quite sick isn't it"

That's how I felt about loving Caleb's character through the first two books, It felt like it should be wrong, but in this book you see a totally different side to Caleb and you don't feel like that at all!

I said this book is different and it is. you have still got parts of Caleb, but he's not the same, you feel him actually turning into a different person, into James. It is a difficult journey for him to go through, but a fascinating one. Livvie has changed a lot too and by the end of the book it did seem like I was reading about two different people.

this book feels more like the beginning of a story than an end. Although a far cry from what we are used to from The Dark Duet books, I loved it and would love to read more about Sophia and James and Claudia and Rubio.

This part of a joint review written on [...]

Façade: The Games Trilogy 2: The Games Trilogy 2
Façade: The Games Trilogy 2: The Games Trilogy 2

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, 30 Aug. 2013
This book is about Delaney and Aiden.

Aiden is Colt's friend from Charade. He is known as a party boy, there's always a people partying at his house, he is a smoker - always getting stoned and has fun with girls. But that's not the real Aiden, that's just a Facade.

The real Aiden is a tortured soul, a deep thinker and a writer. He's had someone he loves tragically taken from him, and he believes its his fault. He's had to walk away from his sister, Angel, because he can't bare it.

"What right do I have to try and console her when I'm the one who destroyed everything?
When I'm the one who let Ash die?
So I sit here and watch her, just so I'll never forget the pain I caused"

4 years ago Delaney's father killed a young boy in an accident that was his fault, Delaney family is ripped apart as lies and deceit come out in the open and Delaney is faced with the reality that her father is not the man she thought he was. Delaney's mother has shunned Delaney aside, but Delaney still fights to care for her mother, seeking her acceptance.

Delaney feels that the only way she can move forward after these tragic events is to make peace with the little boy's family. After speaking to Angel, she realises that that her father has caused more damage to this family than she thought when she finds out that Angel has not only lost the little boy, but her brother, Aiden, too as disappeared after Ash's death and will not face her.

Delaney makes the decision to seek forgiveness from Aiden and try to get the family back together, so she moves with her brother to where she believes Aiden to be to search for him. she gets an apartment and a job at a dinner, ready to settle to search for Aiden.

Delaney meets Aiden by chance, at first not knowing who he is, but she's drawn to him. Once she finds out he is the Aiden she is looking for, she's not quite ready to share who she is. She wants to get to know him, she knows it wrong, but she cant help it.

Aiden meets this girl, and although at first he's just looking for a hook up, he too finds himself drawn to her, drawn to the haunting in her eyes.

Both of them have their demons to deal with and both are trying to fight falling in to deep, trying to keep distance from the other. But when Aiden finds out who Delaney is can he forgive her, or will it all come crashing down?

This book is told from alternative POV which, if you've read my reviews before, you know I love! and I do think it was important in this story.

The thing I loved most was that there was a twist, something I actually never saw coming. I actually went back to parts of the story to see if I missed something, but no, this twist was really well written it makes you assume something without even realising it. You know those are the best kind of twists.

I also enjoyed that you do get to see snippets of Colt & Cheyenne. Since Aiden is Colts best friend you expect Colt to be in there somewhere, but I loved that Delaney is neighbours with Colt & Chey, (which is how the chance meeting between her and Aiden occurs) so you do also get a little girl time with just Delaney and Chey.

Ok so why only 3.5 Stars? I actually really struggled with rating this book. I wanted to totally love it and it was a good book. It was sad in some places and I did read it quickly because I wanted to see what was going to happen when he found out about Delaney. The twist I didn't see coming was brilliant and I loved seeing this different side to Aiden, but Something was missing and I can't quite put my finger on what it was. I went back and forth between 3.5 & 4 stars, but looking at some of the books I've given 4, I thought this wasn't quite there. It was a good book and will definitely be reading the next book in the series.
For more of my reviews visit The Romance Cover book Blog