Profile for melangell > Reviews

melangell

Love and the City
Love and the City
by Lauren Weisberger

4.0 out of 5 stars Firmly in chick lit genre but a great parallel text for learners, 17 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Love and the City (Paperback)
I've tried other parallel texts and tend to find them difficult. This one's easier, probably because the story itself is very easy to follow/predict. If it were in English, I'd have finished it in 10 minutes. Definitely 'chick-lit', which is not usually my cup of tea. But in this case, i'm so absorbed in figuring out the French (trying not to read the English on the facing page) that I'm finding it fascinating. Make sure that you buy the 2011 edition, though. I'm told by a French person that there are mistakes in the French in the earlier edition.

The Gorilla Who Wanted to Grow Up (Jill Tomlinson's Animal Stories)
The Gorilla Who Wanted to Grow Up (Jill Tomlinson's Animal Stories)
by Jill Tomlinson

5.0 out of 5 stars laugh out loud funny - my 7 yr old, 1 Jan. 2012
This book was the first of this length for my son to read from cover to cover by himself ... it was so good he didn't stop until he'd read the whole book in one sitting. Up until then it had been hard work getting him interested in reading anything longer than a couple of pages so this really was a major breakthrough. He laughed out loud and read bits out to me so that I could laugh too. We went on to get the whole series. All great, but soft spot for this one.

A Drop of Blood (Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science: Stage 2)
A Drop of Blood (Let's-Read-And-Find-Out Science: Stage 2)
by Paul Showers

3.0 out of 5 stars A drop of blood: entertaining and informative but too american, 17 Sept. 2011
My son's read this one lots of times because it got left in the car for months... which means it's also been read by a few of his friends we've given lifts to, too. My son liked it and was interested in why the science of blood was portrayed in a vampire style. But he didn't like a plaster being called a bandage... is this American? - thought it was band-aid in American, but it's definitely a picture of a plaster and box of plasters in the picture but bandage in the text. There was a definite Americanism that I can't recall right now that also frustrated him. But on the whole a good book that's had plenty of use.

Astrosaurs 19: The Forest of Evil
Astrosaurs 19: The Forest of Evil
by Steve Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars Astrosaurs the forest of evil: another great book, 17 Sept. 2011
The Astrosaurs series never fails to enthuse and excite and this one is no different. Far-fetched science fiction for me, but great fun for my son. We read this one and Twists of Time very close together, and my son thought the Twists of Time was much funnier, but he is a huge fan of the whole series and can't wait for the series to grow even more.