Profile for chubtor > Reviews

Content by chubtor

chubtor "chubtor"

The Days War
The Days War

5.0 out of 5 stars If you weren't sure whether to get this album or not, just buy it. You won't be disappointed., 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Days War (Audio CD)
I haven't ever reviewed an album on Amazon before, as I figure everyone has different tastes and musical interests. When I listened to this album however, I just knew that I had to write about it.

I am a comparative latecomer I guess to Lonely The Brave, having heard Backroads played by Huw Stevens on Radio 1 only a few weeks ago. As soon as I heard the song I was impressed, in a way I haven't been by a new band (to my hearing anyway) for quite some time. I immediately did the teenage groupie thing and went onto YouTube to check out any more of their songs, and wasn't disappointed.

When I finally got my hands on the album I wasn't disappointed. On the first listen through I was impressed by the differences between all the songs - there's nothing worse than an album that trades off the singles and has nothing more to support it. Each and every song on this album could easily be released as a single (excluding the obvious 'continuity' tracks Intro, Outro and Untitled). This hasn't changed with each time I've played it since (which is a lot!), and I don't skip a single track, which has never happened before that I can remember.

I initially thought that the production on the album let it down, with the sound not being as clear as it could have been, and after my first listen was a little bit disappointed by this, but playing it a second time I realised that the reverse was true. The raw sound of the album actually really enhances the powerful emotional vocals and instruments, to produce a proper authentic rock sound. If you close your eyes on some of the more anthemic tracks you could almost be at a live gig. And that's what I want in an album, especially from a rock band.

As mentioned, each track could completely stand on its own merits, which combines to make this a truly amazing album. Even more so that several of the tracks expertly change direction part way through. These tracks (Trick of the Light; Kings of the Mountain; and The Green, The Blue are the primary examples) develop a hook and run with it, that I can see making absolutely amazing sing-a-long moments at gigs. It is such a massive shame that the band aren't playing stadiums, as that is where this music belongs. I can't see it taking long though. They don't overdo the hooks though though, leaving you wanting more.

The only negative thing I can find to say about this album is that you have to play it as loud as possible to truly appreciate it fully, which isn't how to get on with your neighbours! Can't wait to see them live. These guys deserve to be huge.

GoKi Wooden Kubb Viking Chess
GoKi Wooden Kubb Viking Chess

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 9 Sept. 2013
As a recent convert to the game of Kubb, I was keen to buy my own set. After shopping around I found this to be the cheapest. This will be the last time I ever let that influence a purchasing decision...

The product arrived and is only about 1/2 the size of the other various sets I have played with. It is also smaller than the dimensions quoted even on its own sale page. The wood is very poor quality, and light enough that I would think the pieces would blow over in any kind of wind.

Extremely disappointed as I was, I requested to return the item, only to discover that the returns address is in Germany, meaning it would cost me some £18 to post it back. Barely less than the original cost of the item.

Kubb is a brilliantly fun game for all ages, so don't let this review put you off the game itself, but PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS SET!

The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain
The Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain
by Stephen Bungay

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitively helpful, 28 Sept. 2003
I was conducting research into the Battle of Briatin, and this title seemed to have excellent reviews, so I purchased it. What a good decision! Ever since I have started reading it, I struggle to put it down. Whether you are researching the Battle of Britain for a school or university assignment, or for your own pleasure, this is the book for you. It is a comprehensive insight into the air battle with everything you could possibly need to know.
It begins with an background section, where you learn the histories of all the key figures involved such as Dowding and Sperrle, as well as why the air battle was to be crucial. Instantly many of the popular myths are dispelled and a bizarre truth unveiled.
The rest of the book gives a detailed account of the Battle itself with in depth analysis. There are also photographs and illustrations to further enhance your understanding, as well as quotes from diaries of many of the key figures and interviews with survivors. The author has obviously done ample study, including a flight in a Spitfire so he can accurately descripe the feeling!
This is by far the best non-fiction book I have ever read, and would recommend it to anyone. In particular, students studying the B o B for their A-level history course or at university because it includes a full bibliography and source list!