Profile for R. NEIL > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Count Arthur Strong [DVD]
Count Arthur Strong [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Delaney

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably like most people I came to be a follower of ..., 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Count Arthur Strong [DVD] (DVD)
Probably like most people I came to be a follower of the Count after hearing the radio series. Initially I did not really fall for the this TV adaptation but something clicked when I began watching series two and I decided to re-visit this disc. It's a different series of course - I guess Steve Delaney and Graham Linehan could easily have just shifted the radio series characters into this scenario but on reflection that would not have worked. Here we get the wonderful dymanic provided by Rory Kinnear as Michael, the son of Arthur's late stage partner. Michael could probably have his own series (think Colin's Sandwich) but with Arthur and the other characters there is great fun to be had in absurd situations. Unlike the radio series there is an element of pathos as well and that adds to the depth of this series.

Or was Pathos one of the Muscrats? Muscovites no, musketeers (apologies to the writers)

Nuclear Burn
Nuclear Burn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed ..., 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Nuclear Burn (Audio CD)
Excellent set. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed these albums back in the day and they sound better to me now with better equipment to listen on and a better appreciation of this type of music. Great value for so much music too. I had one of the albums, Product, on CD already and compared the sound to see if any remastering had been done - both versions sound identical so if you already have the albums here on CD this collection might not be for you.

Saturn V Rocket
Saturn V Rocket
by Daron
Edition: Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good way to spend a couple of lad and dad ..., 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Saturn V Rocket (Toy)
Really good way to spend a couple of lad and dad hours - even links in with my son's year 6 school work this year. Great fun and looks good when finished too.

Harvest Of The Heart - An Anthology
Harvest Of The Heart - An Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent package of 90 tracks, 11 Jan. 2015
Excellent package of 90 tracks. I'm coming from the point of view of an old Genesis fan who moved on from their music a long time back - I used to own several Anthony Phillips' albums on vinyl - no idea why I did not replace them when the switch to CD happened all those years ago.

This box set will satisfy either a returning fan or someone who would like an intro to Ant's music. The pieces are chronological so the entire work can be treated as a whole journey or you can simply dip in and out of the music as you please.

In all honesty I'd not heard Ant's music sound this good before - we had access to a decent turntable and set up back in the day but for some reason, it actually sounds better to me now. I'm principally referring to the Sides and Wise After the Event tracks. This compilation also introduces me properly to the marvelous Silver Song - I'd heard rough recordings before - for me this is like getting a brand new vintage Genesis song forty years on.

There's a plethora of new Ant music to listen to as well. I can see me buying a lot more of his back catalogue as it gets re-released.

The booklet is excellent too - I had to read it through in one go!

Scalextric 1:32 Scale C1329 ARC One (APP Race Control) Set
Scalextric 1:32 Scale C1329 ARC One (APP Race Control) Set
Offered by pioneer goods

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set and pretty good value for money - particularly ..., 25 Dec. 2014
Good set and pretty good value for money - particularly as it came with a voucher for a further "free" car if you complete an online survey (limited to a certain number of buyers) so very happy with that. The only problem you might encounter is whether your tablet supports the app or not - there's detail on the Scalextric website which will guide you through that though before you commit. We started off using an iPhone as the household's iPad was an older one which did not work with the set.

The functions are exactly what we had been looking for - lap times and race set up. You can even programme in pit stops and tournaments. Very good product development from Scalextric. Looking forward to a four or six lane version now.

Update February 2015... Now using a Samsung Tablet which is fully compatible with this set and better than using an iPhone as the screen size is bigger. The "free" car turned out to be a limited edition McLaren which ultimately made the set extremely good value for money indeed.

Texet Strip Cut Manual Shredder (Assorted colors)
Texet Strip Cut Manual Shredder (Assorted colors)
Offered by Curated-UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little shredder, 23 Dec. 2014
Great little shredder. I've been contemplating buying a shredder for some time but been put off by not really having the space to keep one. Having seen this one and the other reviews on here I decided to take the plunge. Very glad that I did. As the other reviewers have mentioned it is not one for use with high volume shredding but it you are looking to deal with the occasional bill or bank statement then I don't think you can go wrong. The width of the unit is designed to take a sheet of A4 in portrait so it's not that wide (hence not too big either for storage purposes). Good price and well packaged and delivered by Amazon in a timely manner as ever.

Panasonic DMR-BWT740EB 1TB Smart Networking Blu-ray Disc Recorder (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars This Blu Ray recorder functioned well but like its' predecessor it's now broken, 18 Dec. 2014
Sadly only a two star rating as once again Panasonic have let me down with reliability - I had a DVD recorder which broke down last year - it was only 2 years old. I thought that was a one off and stuck with the brand. This Blu Ray recorder functioned well but like its' predecessor it's now broken :-( and even quicker then the older model.

The thing still records but the output socket is broken and won't send the output signal to the TV. There's only one output - HDMI so that's that. I've had the model less than 18 months and of course the guarantee was only for a year. Panasonic really should do better with these.

My original Panasonic loyalty came from a DVD recorder (individual disc, not hard drive) - it was excellent. I also had (and still have) a portable version which has been everywhere and still works too. It seems to me as if the newer models are much less reliable. I don't save anything to disc these days so now reverting to an entry level blu ray player and maybe a smart TV with catch up. Sorry to be negative but with two Panasonic failures on the bounce I am going to switch brands as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2015 4:47 PM GMT

Rough Diamonds
Rough Diamonds

3.0 out of 5 stars Has to be the weakest of all the Bad Company albums, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Rough Diamonds (MP3 Download)
Has to be the weakest of all the Bad Company albums. It's flaws show themselves both lyrically and on the production side. Worst track has to be Painted Face - awful lyrics which are not even complete with Paul Rodgers doing a la-la-la bit halfway through. Best track is the opener, Electric Land.

Worldwide Underground
Worldwide Underground
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album and also Ms Badu in general, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
Love this album and also Ms Badu in general. Here's the story... I bought her first CD, Baduizm, which clicked with me pretty much straight away. Then I bought this one. Couple of plays and then parked it fairly quickly. I am not sure why I went back to it but I did so and gradually the whole thing started to hit home. It's a great CD. Nothing like Baduizm - it's totally original - like its' creator. Hope I get the chance to see her gig one day.

Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Genesis

1.0 out of 5 stars Fairly typical fare as it involves Tony Smith as exec ..., 13 Oct. 2014
Fairly typical fare as it involves Tony Smith as exec producer. All too obviously a chance to make some money out of nothing new. I guess the people who blindly collect anything related to Genesis will buy it along with the other major 2014 let down - the R-kive cd set. I'll save my money for the new Hackett album and the Anthony Phillips box set!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12