Profile for H. Nash > Reviews

Content by H. Nash

H. Nash (Abingdon, Oxfordshire United Kingdom)

Bring Up the Bodies
Bring Up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Wolf Hall, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
If you're one of those sceptics who think sequels can never better the original, think again! Bring up the Bodies is a stunning imaginative reconstruction of the Tudor period and of Thomas Cromwell, and Mantel's creation of his voice in this book is even more assured and fluent. It is genuinely gripping, unputdownable reading as Anne Boleyn's downfall is orchestrated from gradual beginnings to headlong rush. So many moments stand out for me, particularly Cromwell's meeting with Henry's rejected wife, Katherine, and his entrapment of Smeaton. The whole trial and its awful inevitablility, not because of the guilt of the accused but because Henry wishes it so, demonstrates the total power of the monarch. Anne's execution is unforgettable. This is an incredible novel and I cannot wait for part 3 of the story. While waiting, I will reread Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety, her equally brilliant novel of the French Revolution - don't miss it!

Me Cheeta: The Autobiography
Me Cheeta: The Autobiography
by Cheeta

3.0 out of 5 stars Has its moments..., 1 Aug 2009
I read this book when it first came out, before reading any reviews, and when I read the reviews later I honestly wondered whether we'd read the same book. OK, 'Me Cheetah' has its moments and I did laugh out loud at times and find some bits quite moving, but overall I think this is an incredibly over-hyped book. Why? Partly because it bored me after a while, repeating the same kind of funny little anecdotes which made me laugh at the beginning but had me muttering, 'Here we go again' by the end. OK, it does create and sustain an original narrative voice (incessant innocent misreadings of human society combined with scathing - and frequently very funny - comments) and play with the celebrity autobiography genre cleverly, but that was it! I also wasn't convinced by the use of frequently sentimental stories about animal cruelty - I thought the transition between the humour and anti-animal cruelty comments was poorly handled and didn't work for me.
I didn't review this book for a while because I would have been too harsh, but looking back now it was a fun, quirky read if you don't expect too much. I just don't think it deserves to be on the Booker Longlist!

Crochet  for Beginners
Crochet for Beginners
by Carroll & Brown
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the cover, 28 Mar 2009
I bought this book because I wanted to learn to crochet - no surprises there! In fact, I bought a couple of other learn to crochet books too, but this was by far the most useful. Both 'The Happy Hooker' and Lesley Stanfield's 'First Crochet', although very useful and I would recommend them both, feel like slightly more second stage books to me; both are great, but this is MUCH more absolute beginner! It is set out very clearly, with nice big photographs - MUCH better than the line drawings in lots of similar books - to illustrate the simple instructions. To make it EVEN better, it is spiral bound, so you don't keep on losing your page at a vital moment when the book just closes! Once you've got the basics, it gives instructions for lots more complicated effects. Throw in a few patterns and what you have here really is the ultimate in crochet for beginners - just like the title says. So if you are a complete novice but want to crochet - buy this book!

Fisual Hollywood High Speed HDMI Cable 1.5m length
Fisual Hollywood High Speed HDMI Cable 1.5m length

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable - and service!, 26 May 2008
This cable is great quality, especially bearing in mind the low price. Fabulous service from Avopro too - incredibly fast delivery! We have used them again!

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars another winner, 25 April 2007
This was an absolutely gripping read. O'Farrell sustains multiple narrative viewpoints, including that of a woman with Alzheimer's, to build a compelling story which interweaves contemporary Edinburgh with pre-war India and Scotland. She raises questions about society's rules and expectations and draws parallels between Esme and Iris which really get you thinking. I couldn't put this down, and as for the ending, well, I'd much rather one which didn't wrap everything up in one, implausibly neat, little bundle. I feel she gave us enough to make a satisfying ending and I'm glad she didn't overdo it - much better than that irritating little 'extra' bit tagged onto the end of her earlier book 'My Lover's Lover'...

Extras : Complete BBC Series 2 [2005] [DVD]
Extras : Complete BBC Series 2 [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars it just gets better, 16 Feb 2007
Series 2 of Extras was just fantastic. If you missed it - watch it! Particular highlights were Orlando Bloom's hilarious obsession with his good looks (and resentment of Johnny Depp) and Sir Ian McKellen's masterclass on acting - although the Daniel Radcliffe episode was pretty good too... in fact, there wasn't a dud episode! Stephen Merchant is superb as the hopeless agent. I can't wait to see it all again - there were so many lines I missed because I was laughing too much to hear them.

Little Boy Lost
Little Boy Lost
by Marghanita Laski

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books... ever, 2 May 2006
This review is from: Little Boy Lost (Paperback)
I can't begin to praise this book enough. I am a critical reader and I read a lot, and for this to be in my top ten it has to be something special. I keep on recommending it; to be honest, I beg people to read it because it it so good - and it's short, so quick to read! It is beautifully written, restrained and controlled in style, as it deals with a man's search for his missing son. This war-damaged man, bereaved and unable to express love, is as moving a creation as the little boy, Jean, who may be his son. The scenes where they go for walks together, especially when the man gives the boy a gift, are touching and yet never sentimental. The picture of post-war France is also unforgettable. It is impossible to put down and also has one of the most perfect (ie fitting) endings I have ever read (So many books just don't end well...). Once you've read and enjoyed it, try more Persephone books - they are fantastic!

Nicholas
Nicholas
by Rene Goscinny

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, clever and a really good read!, 6 April 2006
This review is from: Nicholas (Hardcover)
My sons (age 6 & 9) love this book, and I really enjoy reading it with them. We laughed so much at 'Playing Cowboys' that we had to stop reading (even second time around!), and we also loved 'Jocky', 'A Game of Football' and 'The Bike'. There is a great cast of characters, especially Nicholas and his friends: fat Alec with his pocket full of croissant and teacher's pet Cuthbert are particularly memorable. As with the best children's books (and films!), there were things I found funny and other things my children liked, so it succeeded all round. The book is beautifully presented, with lovely line drawings - and, of course, all that French culture...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 3:43 PM BST