Profile for Spoonman > Reviews

Content by Spoonman

Spoonman (Kent United Kingdom)

WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage
WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage
Offered by PANDY
Price: 164.89

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but slow copying files onto it, 11 Jan 2014
In a netshell...
Pro's - does what it says on the tin, simple to setup and use, quiet, no problems connecting via Windows PC, Android phone and tablet, PS3 or Fedora netbook. No streaming problems or need for constant buffering.
Cons - Pretty slow copying data to it - even with a directly attached device via cable I've not got better than about 1mb per second, so imagine how long it takes to copy a few films to it :( Connections to it have dropped whilst using it, although it's not always clear if this is the WD drive itself or the wifi network

Getting Started with Citrix Xenapp 6
Getting Started with Citrix Xenapp 6
by Guillermo Musumeci
Price: 34.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Better off reading Citrix documentation. Very poor., 3 May 2012
I've read numerous books on the various different versions of Terminal Services and Citrix MetaFrame/Presentation Server/XenApp and unfortunately this is by far the poorest. It offers nothing that anyone familiar with the product won't already know and even for the beginner I'd say it offers little for the cost. It's mostly padded out with numerous step-by-step screenshots and the text tends to just point out the obvious or seems like it could've been lifted straight from Citrix e-docs. There is no in-depth analysis or much advice that's useful in the real world, and where topics are covered in slightly more depth I found the explanations poor. Other components such as EdgeSight and Provisioning Server are not covered at all.

Nothing here that you can't find online - probably explained better, covered in more depth, more uptodate, and free. Don't waste your money on this book like I did.

Lulu
Lulu
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.75

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, self-indulgent unlistenable rubbish. And I'm trying to be kind, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Lulu (Audio CD)
No point messing around or dressing it up - this is awful. Abysmal. Titanic rubbish. Sub-standard Metallica riffs (or sometimes just fingernail-down-blackboard style noises - I can't call it music or jamming or anything else) with a mad old man rambling what sounds like shockingly bad 6th form art-school "poetry" over the top of it at random. One giant, stinking sorry mess.
For anyone finding anything of much merit in this 90 minutes of hell I can only say "The emperors new clothes". Shockingly atrocious to the point where you can only laugh out loud at it. Lou Reed released Metal Machine Music years ago, now he's helped Metallica release their own unlistenable dross.

Metallica have made what many of their fans think are some of the greatest albums of all time. Now they've made one of the worst as well. This makes St Anger look like Master Of Puppets. I can only assume this is their latest strategy for combatting illegal downloads of their music i.e releasing material so dire that no-one wants it in the first place.

Microsoft Windows Networking Essentials
Microsoft Windows Networking Essentials
by Darril Gibson
Price: 18.35

4.0 out of 5 stars A great refresher/introduction to networking. Not for experts wanting a networking bible, 7 Nov 2011
I used the Microsoft Networking Essentials book way back in about 1996 to learn about networking and study for my first MCSE back in the NT 3.51 days. I was after a book to refresh my memory on alot of the concepts and get up to date with all the technology advances and updates that have occurred since then. And lo and behold an updated version of the trusty old Networking Essentials book appears! I found the book really useful to remind myself of forgotten concepts and standards but there are pro's and cons to it...
Pros: Easy to read and understand, it covers a wide range of topics pretty well and I found it waslayed out in a visually attractive manner. It explains lots of stuff that I kind've understood but had never had fully spelt out to me before.
Con's: At 300 pages and covering as much ground as it does its not the most in-depth book you'll find on any of the topics it covers. Then again it's called "Networking Essentials" for a reason.

In summary if you are new to networking or like me are a bit rusty and want to remind yourself of some long forgotten concepts and update you're knowledge this book is well worth a look. If you already know networking quite well and are after an in-depth networking bible this is not the book for you.

Creative ZEN X-Fi 32GB MP3 and Video Player with Wireless LAN Compatibility
Creative ZEN X-Fi 32GB MP3 and Video Player with Wireless LAN Compatibility

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK MP3 player but not all it could've been, 12 Jan 2010
I was looking forward to this product having owned a Zen Sleek before and been pleased with it. Although the Zen X-Fi it by no means a bad product I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. As a player its competent enough but I was disappointed by the other features.
Firstly one of the big selling points - the Wifi connectivity is next to pointless as far as I can see. I rather naively assumed that you'd be able to transfer songs to the device wirelessly which would've been a great feature but this is not the case. The only use I can see Creative mentioning is IM chat which I've not tried but on a device like this seems ridiculous to me unless I'm missing something.
I was also disapointed not to get album cover art displayed on-screen as I've seen other players do. The Creative Centrale PC software is OK but a bit clunkly and nothing to write home about and I found the players menu navigation to be a bit annoying although I'm sure this will come down purely to personal taste. Also be warned although it is a great looking piece of kit those navigation buttons are very small indeed, and the on/off switch would've been better situated on the side of the device rather than on the back. The headphone are very good but with the input jack sticking straight out of the side of the device rather having an L-shaped design the cable takes an unavoidable battering.
Despite those gripes as I said earlier as a player it does the job fine but then theres plenty of cheaper products that'll play your mp3's for you. For the price and with the Wifi functionality I was expecting a bit more from this though, with hindsight I'd buy something else. Check it out before you buy if possible.

Science, Religion, and the Meaning of Life
Science, Religion, and the Meaning of Life
by Mark Vernon
Price: 65.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 18 Jan 2008
This is a very informed book, the author obviously knows his subject matter very well indeed. The problem I had was that it seems more like a text book on Ancient Greek philosophy (mainly Socrates) than anything else with little mention of religion, science & their contradictions for long periods.

If you're into Socrates & his influence you may well find it very rewarding. For anyone else it will probably be very heavy going, it certainly was for me. Maybe I misunderstood its purpose but for me this book didn't cover the subjects I was expecting it to, and when it did touch them it did so in a way that most people without a serious grounding in philosophy may well find bewildering.

Copper Blue
Copper Blue
Offered by trec002
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pop Smothered In Guitars, 9 Nov 2002
This review is from: Copper Blue (Audio CD)
Terrific songs smothered in guitars from start to finish. Changes and Helpless are awesome but there's not one weak song here. The album came out at the same time as Nevermind which might explain why its been overlooked by so many, not that I think Bob Mould is too bothered by that. Copper Blue is a man at the top of his game. If he'd wanted to he could have become a massive star with this record but he didn't - and thats why his music sounds so good. He does it the way he thinks it should be done and it comes from the heart.
The simplest and strongest recommendation I can give is that Copper Blue is my favourite album of all time, bar none.