Profile for B. Cooper > Reviews

Content by B. Cooper

B. Cooper "magic of the mind" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Neat Ideas Stainless Steel Mandolin Pro Slicer
Neat Ideas Stainless Steel Mandolin Pro Slicer
Offered by Neat Treats

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jun 2014
It's OK for slicing but no good at all for making juliennes of anything harder than a cucumber - the blades are just not sharp enough. The cleverly-designed retractable spikes on the handguard are too sharp and tear through vegetables so they no longer grip. It's also very fiddly to wash, dry and reassemble. I've gone back to my old, cheap 7-in-1 model.

I'll Put 3 Chips On God - just in case there is one
I'll Put 3 Chips On God - just in case there is one

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read..., 28 Dec 2013
...both sensible and humorous. I have a strongly scientific background and found very little in the book that I couldn't agree with. Most of it is common sense and even her own "Atom" theory is a perfectly valid metaphor. Highly recommended.

EasyAcc® Premium PU Leather Wallet Case for Google Nexus 4 Folio Flip Cover with Stand Card Holder Anti Shock Skin Pouch Pocket for Google Nexus 4 (Black, Slim, for Men)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 10 Sep 2013
I was looking for a flip-type case without a magnetic catch and this does the job very well. It's exactly the right size, the cut-outs are in the right place and it feels solid. While the case could be used as a stand it doesn't seem stable enough to leave it on, for example, a bedside table in that position, but I probably wouldn't need to do that anyway. My only real criticism was the price of £9.95, taking it just below Amazon's new free postage threshold.

Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable Speaker For Iphone 5, iPod, Ipad and MP3 Players
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality, 4 May 2013
The speaker is working well so far and it certainly sounds better than my laptop and tablet speakers. I don't find the short cable a problem.

What I don't like very much is the charging instructions; they say that a full charge takes 4 hours, but sound quality will worsen if you overcharge. Given that there is no indication of how much charge you have left, or when a full charge has been reached, you apparently can't top-up when needed; you have to discharge the battery fully then give it exactly four hours (plugged into a PC or a USB-mains adaptor). The speaker came charged, and it hasn't run down yet, but I've no way of knowing when it will run down.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 2:08 PM BST

Q Planes [DVD]
Q Planes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by handsomedicks

5.0 out of 5 stars Watched the DVD a few times..., 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Q Planes [DVD] (DVD)
...and I'm happy to watch it several more times. I thought Olivier's character was a bit wet, but Richardson's is hilarious. Apart from his influence on John Steed, the plot could also have come out of The Avengers.

The Lord Of The Rings
The Lord Of The Rings

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD disappointing, 20 May 2012
This review is from: The Lord Of The Rings (Audio CD)
While the music and the sound quality are great, I was rather disappointed in the accompanying DVD which strikes me as a missed opportunity. Too many of the photographs are completely irrelevant backstage shots. I'd rather see a photo of the person singing than the backside of an anonymous technician.

The book is also not as good as it could have been. It's informative but unless you have perfect eyesight you need a magnifying glass to read it. It would have been better in a larger format.

The Book of English Magic
The Book of English Magic
by Philip Carr-Gomm

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 7 May 2012
This book has reawakened my long-standing interest in the subject and brought it up to date, as all of the books I've read were written before the Eighties. It's a comprehensive overview and therefore necessarily a bit shallow, but there are plenty of recommendations for further reading.

I must make a few minor negative comments, though.

- Some of the web links no longer work (but I suppose this is to be expected in a book that's a few years old).

- I don't like the typography of the pages by "guest" contributors; these are in faint grey print and uncomfortable to read.

- The authors have some strange ideas about Freemasonry, which is not at all magical, at least for members of the degrees recognised by the United Grand Lodge of England. And where on Earth did the authors get the idea that Freemasons carry a magic wand in their cases? As Masonry is based on the stonemason's trade, all symbolical tools used are connected with that. The only "wands" in a lodge are the wands of office carried by certain officers, and those are about six feet long and nothing like a magician's wand.

Oxford Dictionary of English
Oxford Dictionary of English
by Catherine Soanes

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 12 April 2012
This is the best (and biggest) dictionary that I have ever owned, with the bonus addition of encyclopaedia entries and reference pages in the middle. It's a steal at this price.

The Very Best Of Anthony Newley
The Very Best Of Anthony Newley

4.0 out of 5 stars Comedy nostalgia!, 27 Sep 2011
I bought this CD for the three novelty songs which I hadn't heard for many years - "That Noise", "Strawberry Fair" and "Pop Goes the Weasel". Very funny and highly recommended.

Roberts MP43 Sound 43 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod-Black
Roberts MP43 Sound 43 CD/DAB/FM Digital Sound System with Dock for iPod-Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock-solid DAB reception, 17 Sep 2011
I had almost given up with decent radio reception in my house (apart from through my TV), with heavy interference on FM and DAB constantly dropping out on both my other radios. However the DAB reception on the Roberts is excellent and it works anywhere in the house. FM reception is still rough, though.

Page: 1 | 2