Profile for P. Clarke > Reviews

Content by P. Clarke

P. Clarke (Leeds, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer)
The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer)
by Martyn Waites

1.0 out of 5 stars Please, do not read this; it`s a waste of your life., 2 Jan. 2015
This is a dreadful book. The historical errors are so numerous that I won`t detail them except the one that screams out at you. There is no such rank as captain in the RAF and surely somebody at Hammer should have noticed this and corrected it (and also many of the other errors). The writing is plodding and pedestrian and the characters two-dimensional. You could almost forgive this especially if you have had a poor education, but you can`t forgive the fact that the book does not give the slightest frisson to the reader. In fact, the book is plain boring.

Quality Millen-I-Air 18" (45 cm) High Velocity Air Circulator Fan with Gun Metal finish
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2014
This is a wonderful product. Well worth the money

This House is Haunted
This House is Haunted
by John Boyne

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many anachronisms, 15 July 2013
This review is from: This House is Haunted (Paperback)
This is an awful book. The obvious comparison is with Susan Hill`s "The Woman in Black". That really is a scary book; Boyne`s book is a damp squib by comparison. The tension is non-existent and I just wanted to finish the book as quickly as possible. I was by profession a teacher of history and I found it so grating that the author was using words, phrases or concepts that were not used in 1867 but were in use in the 20th century. He has no idea how a British execution was carried out and all the details are completely wrong. This is lazy writing. I pray that he does not unleash a sequel upon this poor world.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2014 2:09 PM BST

Vanessa: A Portrait of Evil
Vanessa: A Portrait of Evil
by Wensley Clarkson

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull, 29 May 2011
This is a badly planned and written book. It is full of grammatical mistakes and dreadful cliches. Once I start a book, I like to finish it and it is so tiresome going through this repetitive nonsence. It would have been so much better if an editor had been more forceful and cut it by about a hundred pages.

Bible of the Dead
Bible of the Dead

1.0 out of 5 stars Drearily written nonsense, 19 April 2011
This review is from: Bible of the Dead (Kindle Edition)
I feel very unhappy if I cannot or do not finish a book, shades of OCD, but with this rubbish, I had to. On every page there are inappropriate or silly metaphors. He really should read some Ernest Hemingway. One of the characters, Chemda, keeps on saying "Ah" and "Hn". It is most irritating. The characters were two dimensional.
All in all avoid this nonsence. I felt that it was an insult to my education.

The Last Testament
The Last Testament
by Sam Bourne

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long by far, 4 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Last Testament (Paperback)
I enjoyed Jonathan Freedland`s "The Righteous Men" a lot even though it was pure hokum; I quite enjoyed "The Final Reckoning". This book I found quite dreadful. I did not care about the characters (two dimensional) and I was desperate to finish this book. Too often writers in this genre feel that they have to produce a book of at least 500 pages. Fine if you have literary skills but the results can be quite dreadful if you haven`t. This book should have been cut by at least 200 pages. Eric Ambler with this material might have produced something good.

Appaloosa
Appaloosa
by Robert B. Parker
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Appaloosa (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a big Robert B. Parker fan and I was not dissapointed with it. There is the same laconic easy dialogue between Hitch and Cole as there is between Spenser and Hawk and the book also shares the same moral values that are in the Spenser books. There is one interesting difference betweeen the Spenser/Hawk and Cole/Hitch books. Spenser is the narrator in the former series and is also clearly the better educated but not necessarily the more intelligent. In the latter series it is Everett Hitch who is narrating and is the better educated of the two but is also Cole`s deputy in every sense of the word. If you like Spenser, you will certainly like this wonderful book. This is not a long book; none of Parker`s are. Do not be be put off by this. What they lack in poundage they make up in literary quality. Parker can convey in a few words what lesser writers will need a few pages to convey the same.

Timebomb
Timebomb
by Gerald Seymour
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but not his best, 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Timebomb (Mass Market Paperback)
This is not Seymour`s best book but I feel that it is good enough to award it five stars. Most of this author`s books follow a similar pattern. There are disparate situations and areas and every ten pages or so we move to a different scene until a climax is reached. You either love this approach or you will dislike it and clearly, some of the reviewers were in the latter category. All of the themes of his books are frightenly topical and this is no exception. An entertaining and thought-provoking novel.

The Reapers: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 7
The Reapers: A Charlie Parker Thriller: 7
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Birdless in New England, 9 Mar. 2009
I am very fond of the novels of John Connolly. They are first rate mystery novels with a touch of the supernatural. A wonderful combination! Most of this book is about Louis and Angel and we get to know a lot more about these two characters, particularly Louis. If we look at the Parker/Angel/Louis sequence of novels we surely must be impressed with the way that these characters are fully realised. There is a departure from the the previous books in that this is about Angel and Louis; Parker only appears in the last 100 pages or so and even then only as a peripheral character. This book is tremendously exciting; a page turner with real literary quality. I would love to have these three as my friends and not just to get me out of any scrapes I might get myself into.

Banquet for the Damned
Banquet for the Damned
by Adam L G Nevill

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 26 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Banquet for the Damned (Paperback)
I expected more from this book especially after reading the lavish reviews. There are plenty of good things; the description of St Andrews in particular. My problem with the book is that it is far too long. I think that a judicious editing of up to a hundred pages could have improved the book. You only have to read M. R. James` "The Casting of the Runes" to recognise how much better that book is than "Banquet of the Damned".

Page: 1 | 2