Profile for hkvicky > Reviews

Content by hkvicky

hkvicky "Vicky" (London, England)

Deliciously Ella: Awesome ingredients, incredible food that you and your body will love
by Ella Mills (Woodward)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing photographs let down this wonderful cookbook, 1 Feb. 2015
I was so excited to receive this book after following Ella' s wonderfully inspiring blog but the awful photographs let the book down. The photographs on her blog make you want to make her recipes but the ones in the book are out of focus, boring and uninspiring. If not for the awful art work I would have given this book five stars. What a shame she was let down by the awful presentation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 2:18 PM GMT

Breville VBL062 Blend Active Personal Blender, 300 W - White/Green
Breville VBL062 Blend Active Personal Blender, 300 W - White/Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it, 10 Mar. 2014
I am loving my new blender. It's so compact but efficient and looks great in my kitchen but most of all it works brilliantly. I have been making smoothies with nuts and it's had no problems grinding them up. If you want a reasonably priced blender that looks good and works well then go for this. I'm very happy with mine.

SHAKER BOTTLE 600ML
SHAKER BOTTLE 600ML
Offered by MAKING LIFE SIMPLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and practical, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: SHAKER BOTTLE 600ML (Misc.)
I bought this as it was very reasonably priced and didn't expect much but it has exceeded my expectations and is brilliant. Only thing is make sure you have secured the lid otherwise you'll shake the contents all over the place like I did. I now have a big stain on the carpet next to my computer at work!

Atkins Advantage Vanilla Low Carb Shake Mix 370 g (10 Servings)
Atkins Advantage Vanilla Low Carb Shake Mix 370 g (10 Servings)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 1 Aug. 2013
A really delicious shake and very filling. I often have this for lunch with some fruit and it keeps me full until evening. If you're trying to lose weight it will keep you going and can also be used as a snack instead of going for chocolate, crisps or a cake as it gives you the same feeling and tastes like a real milkshake. One thing, do buy a shaker cup and shake it for at least 30 seconds to stop it going lumpy. I usually stir the water in gradually and then shake it.

Yogalosophy with Mandy Ingber [DVD]
Yogalosophy with Mandy Ingber [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 1 July 2013
I love this DVD and would recommend it if you're looking to get fit through yoga. Purists will probably not like it but it was just what I am looking for. I find Mandy motivating and I really like her manner, her voice and her karma.

SLX Gold digiTop Amplified High Performance Indoor Aerial for TV (UHF/Freeview), FM Radio, DAB Radio, Wideband

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 17 Feb. 2012
I bought this after being unable to get any digital channels on my TV with my existing indoor aerial. With no roof aerial in the block of flats where I live I was therefore stuck. I read the reviews on this product and thought I'd give it a go as the price was so good. It worked immediately and I haven't even had to move it around to get the right location. However I did find it worked better when the dish is placed upright rather than flat (you will know what I mean when you get one) but that may have just been my TV or location. If you're having problems getting all the digital channels like I was I would strongly recommend giving this one a go.

Little Black Bag -- INSPIRED
Little Black Bag -- INSPIRED

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little bag, 17 Feb. 2012
I was very pleased with this bag which arrived beautifully wrapped in tissue paper. It's just the right size to take my lunch to work or carry my book. Very sturdy and good quality. Also the handles on the one I received were black which pleased me. I love it.

CHER_Fitness_Body Confidence + A New Attitude_2 DVD_Region2_EU-Import
CHER_Fitness_Body Confidence + A New Attitude_2 DVD_Region2_EU-Import
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant fitness tapes, 17 Jan. 2012
I had both these DVDs on video in the 90s and used to workout to them religiously. I particularly enjoyed the step workout and used to do it 4-5 times a week. Within a couple of months I had dropped several dress sizes and my body - particularly my legs and bum - really slimmed off and became more sculpted. Everyone noticed the difference and that was without dieting either. Cher is great in it and I loved her funky outfits. Kelly Roberts (the trainer) was lovely and I ended up buying another step video by her that was more advanced and also good. I only stopped working out to the Cher videos my video machine broke and they weren't available on DVD. So, I am thrilled to see they are now on DVD and would recommend them to everyone. One thing, I do recall getting bored with the step soundtrack but by then I knew the routine off by heart and so would turn the sound off and play my own music. It kept me motivated and I loved it. I have just ordered the DVDs and can't wait for them to arrive so I can start stepping again.

Murder on the Verandah: Love and Betrayal in British Malaya
Murder on the Verandah: Love and Betrayal in British Malaya
by Eric Lawlor

1.0 out of 5 stars Very biased view of history, 25 Aug. 2009
The story starts off well albeit a rather lack lustre account of an intriguing murder but then the author goes off on a rant against colonialism and the British and the book becomes almost unreadable. It's a shame because this could have been another White Mischief and the right author would have brought it to life.

As someone who grew up in a colony (HK in the 70s & 80s), I do get fed up with inaccurate portrayals of colonial life. My father was an academic and my mother was a teacher so they both gave back to the community. I want to a multi-cultural school and most of my friends were Chinese or Indian. However, when I went to College in England in the late 80s I had so many comments from people about the exploitation of the Chinese etc. It was ill informed and stupid. Although, this book was set in the turn of the last century, I think the author is very biased in his portrayal of colonial life. He never once points out some of the good things that came out of the British administration and there were good things.

I would not recommend this book and would suggest readers seek a more accurate account of British rule in Malaya.