Profile for T, Holmes > Reviews

Content by T, Holmes

T, Holmes (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Left to Tell: One Woman's Story of Surviving the Rwandan Holocaust
Left to Tell: One Woman's Story of Surviving the Rwandan Holocaust
by Immaculée Ilibagiza

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing, 25 April 2013
If you have a heart filled with compassion and love, congratulations, this book is for you.

I read this book as soon as it was delivered. I couldn't put it down. I had heard of this ladies ordeal via you-tube. I had seen countless videos of the holocaust and was moved to my core by the atrocities that occurred. I wanted to know why this happened? What drove neighbours and friends to kill each other, in such horrific manners? Once I read this book, I understood.

Imaculees' tale is just one of countless stories that should be told, but thankfully (for me, at least) she kept focused on staying alive so she could get this essential message across, to as many as want to listen. One thing that stood out for me was her undying faith, she knew that she had a purpose to fulfill after the madness was over. It was this that provided us with this book and for that i am truly thankful. It is a graphic and concise account of what happened to her throughout the holocaust and at times made me question my own potential as a human being. It tells of how her somewhat ordinary life changed over night and how she had to leave her family behind, knowing that she may never see them again. She spent three months with several other women hiding in a small toilet in the local ministers house scared for her life. It tells of how they wasted away in hiding and of her fear and anger but also how she came to terms with the devil within, demanding revenge. Immaculees' courage astonished me. Her defiance, despite everything, kept itself alive throughout her time in hiding and she never lost faith even when the devil shouted in her ear! I have nothing but compassion for you Immaculee, and for everyone suffering at the hands of mans greed and selfishness. Maybe one day all men will learn this lesson? God bless you.

Music City Soul
Music City Soul
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars top album but lacks direction, 23 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Music City Soul (Audio CD)
I had high hopes for this album and i wasnt dissapointed. I watched Beverleys blog on youtube and she explains her intentions for the recording. Looking at all the other reviews you would be forgiven to think that this was some kind of gem. Dont get me wrong you cant get away from the fact that she can sing as well as aretha and has the power and soul that any of the greats have but my quibble wouldnt be with her or the production team but with the selection of tracks. Sure it sounds like a classic atlantic recording from the 60s but it lacks direction. A classic album speaks of an era and you know that youre listening to part of musical history. I guess what im saying is i hoped that this would have been one of them... a classic recording but of original material, beverleys music. Despite this, stand out tracks for me are (rock steady) and the very funky (why me why you why now). However it is without a doubt one of the best soul albums ive heard recently, i only give it 4 stars because it could have been so nearly a classic.

Night Train
Night Train
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars ahead of its time and quite simply adorable., 1 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
I love this album. I listened to Oscar when i was a child, my dad was always playing it and countless other jazz records and it reminds me of good times. Setting aside nostalgia this makes me realise just how talented Oscar Peterson is, hes one of very few pianists that still gives me the shivers. I can truely relate to this recording and i shall look out for more classic Peterson Trio recordings in the future. There isnt a dud in this collection, its a true classic worthy of 10 stars at least and I hope you love it as much I do.

Stax Funk/Get Up & Get Down
Stax Funk/Get Up & Get Down
Offered by soulsearchingplus

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute classic, 16 Jan. 2007
I absolutely love this, its everything i want from a funk album. As with most Stax albums the tracks have been well sequenced and the vocals are contrasting, unusual and inspiring. As well as some deep funk classics here there is a selection of seriously cheesey soul/ funk chucked in the thick of it, i guess its this that makes the album enjoyable and unusual. I had this album when i was a kid back in the eighties and it was played endlessly then as it is now. There are few albums i can hold in this regard, i recommmend it and its worth paying for. Another good one is Stax O Soul which is a great collection of Soul/ Funk and i never tire of that either.

Black Diamond [CD]
Black Diamond [CD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth buying, 21 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Black Diamond [CD] (Audio CD)
I wasnt sure what i was getting when i bought this album but i was pleased i did because it clearly is a classic. If you love quality female soul singers then I think you'll love this. This is not a collection of unrelated tracks like so many soul albums are but a album with a real honest feeling to it. It may be a coincidence for all i know but its seems very well thought out and planned like a good book. I love it and its up there with my fave albums and its played on a regular basis when i want to chill.

Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury (Re-Issue)
Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury (Re-Issue)

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique talent. Great grooves and intelligent lyrics, 21 Dec. 2006
Ive just listened to this album from the start and I thank the lord im not depressed because i think its fair to say that this isnt uplifting. This is intense stuff and requires a good listen especially to what the mans sayin'. I listen to HipHop, Funk and Soul mainly (check my reviews) On a HipHop tip I litsen to Mos Def, Kweli, Rawkus records, PE and Other mainly underground HipHop artists. I regard this recording as too advanced and complicated for myself as im not drawing enough from it, maybe given a few more plays i may change my mind but for the time being i finding it too political, heavy and intense for regular play and have only given it four stars for this very reason. Im going to kick back and listen to Kylie and Jason to cheer myself up and if that wont kill ya nothing will! One last thing, track 10 Music and Politics is genius, enjoy.

James Brown's Funky People
James Brown's Funky People
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars the best funk album ever produced? hell yehhhh, 26 Oct. 2006
Yeh i think this is one of the best funk albums produced. I first heard this playing in HMV back in the 80s on a pair of bose speakers and the bassline shook the room and truley rocked the joint and from that day on i can safely say i was a changed man. This album changed what i expected of music and it then i realised what soul was. The tracks on this are all classics and i will only tire of it when im too deaf or mad to listen to them. The other two funky people albums are good but not as good as this. Anyway this has the diva that is miss Lynn Collins singing Take me as i am and im in love with this track and with her still, although im sure shes about 70 now. Thankyou the JBs and Miss Lynn Collins for such a funky experience and showing me what real soul is.

Juslisen
Juslisen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 11 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Juslisen (Audio CD)
Truely a soul classic. I have no hesitation recommending this album because like all good music it never leave your player for long and its back making you gettin your groove on all over again.

I guess i bought this a year or so ago and it was this album that got me into this sort of music. Theres not really a dead track in it. The album starts well with three really strong tracks and eases you gently into an album full of relaxed harmonies and quality beats. My favorite track is track 4 which i should think is one of the smoothest grooves around even today, so Juslisen and im sure you wont be disapointed.

Soulstar
Soulstar
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy, Sexy soul, 11 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Soulstar (Audio CD)
This is good soul music but i think it will date pretty quickly, its not as good as Juslisen. There are some classy tracks there though which pack a punch. Basslines are heavy and the beats are typical of musiq style. If you were gonna buy one album i would buy Juslisen because thats all you need to do and you'll be hooked.

Maxwell Mtv Unplugged
Maxwell Mtv Unplugged
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

5.0 out of 5 stars this is class, 11 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Maxwell Mtv Unplugged (Audio CD)
I would buy this Maxwell album and Urban Hang suite, then you would have a good idea of who Maxwell is. This is a good example of how a live performance can sound if its really carefully planned. This is very sexy and very smooth and is the ideal music for getting it on........ not that i do anymore.. anyhoo very good soul music, buy it.

Page: 1 | 2