Profile for Marechal > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Victorian Rogues MEGAPACK TM: 28 Classic Tales
The Victorian Rogues MEGAPACK TM: 28 Classic Tales

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 17 Jan. 2015
Nicely produced and a steal at the price.

Ten Plus One (87th Precinct)
Ten Plus One (87th Precinct)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 29 Dec. 2014
This was my first Ed McBain and on this showing I shan't bother with another. The two detectives were deeply unappealing protagonists and I simply didn't believe the motivation behind the denouement. It all seemed to be happening in a moral universe I couldn't recognize.

The Daughters of Gentlemen: A Frances Doughty Mystery (The Frances Doughty Mysteries Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 1 Sept. 2014
Maybe this just wasn't for me: I found it slow-moving and the motivator of the plot -- a letter urging young ladies not to marry -- didn't carry conviction for me. I couldn't see how it could generate such a reaction as it does. There were too many passages where neither plot nor character development were of interest to me and I found myself skipping whole sections. I think I expected it to be illuminated by the enormous, burning issues of female suffrage but I didn't find that. Maybe I skipped too many passages? To be fair to Linda Stratman, though, I felt it was a serious attempt and the actual language is well-crafted. I liked the unusual choice of heroine. I think I ought to leave it for a while and then have another crack at it.

Sleep Tight
Sleep Tight

2.0 out of 5 stars Disliked it, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sleep Tight (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't get on with this at all. I found the multi-narrator technique off-putting and the mix of first-person and third-person narration seemed to break the emotional drive of the story. On top of which the atmosphere in which it was set was deeply unpleasant; it was dragging my spirits down without intriguing me with either unexpected twists of the plot or insights into human nature. It seemed a fair bit too long for the story being unfolded and I found myself skipping huge chunks just to get to the end more quickly. Frankly I was glad to move on to something else.

How The English Establishment Framed STEPHEN WARD
How The English Establishment Framed STEPHEN WARD

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile read, 25 May 2014
Having lived through the events at the time, I would have found this subject-matter interesting however it was written up. In fact it's well-presented, reminded me of several things I'd forgotten and told me several things I didn't know. It certainly fulfilled its aim as set out in the title, but it somehow didn't quite bring Ward's character into focus: On the one hand there was the support and friendship he got from people at widely different levels of society, and on the other hand there were so many occasions when he seems to have behaved like a pimp. On top of his many talents there does seem to have been good in him -- but you wouldn't want your daughter to meet him. I felt there was room for a balanced assessment of his character and I didn't really find one here.

The State We're In
The State We're In

2.0 out of 5 stars where are we?, 22 Mar. 2014
I've made several attempts to get into this book but I'm continually put off by its episodic structure, time-jumps and characters who appear to be either deeply unpleasant or just plain uninteresting. However I recognize it as a serious undertaking and Adele Parks is no trashy, churn-em-out writer. I'm going to keep on trying for maybe a couple more times. Wish me luck.

Children of the Revolution: The 21st DCI Banks Mystery (An Inspector Banks Mystery)

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 22 Mar. 2014
I couldn't believe how inept this was simply as a piece of narrative fiction. Structurally it's a shambles, with the action interrupted by interminable irrelevant discussions between characters, as if this were a novel of ideas (which it isn't) rather than a police murder mystery. There were several events and characters which I found totally unconvincing. I had to skip whole sections and to be honest I was glad when it ended. But reviews of other books by Peter Robinson seem to tell a different story so maybe I'll try one of them. Later, though.

Who's There?: The True Story of a Leeds Haunting
Who's There?: The True Story of a Leeds Haunting

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 22 Mar. 2014
I bought this book because it's set in an area of Leeds very close to where I grew up. I never experienced anything of the kind but the author tells her story clearly and simply, without any literary tricks or devices. She knows what she saw and heard and that's what she relates. There are points in the story where more natural causes suggest themselves. For example, an old house that's structurally unsound is extremely likely to produce odd noises. But there are many incidents where the reader has to decide whether the author is simply making it all up or whether the existence of ghosts is a reality. Unfortunately her way of describing these events is sometimes just too plain and simple, such as when someone rises from the bed and is taken up to the ceiling. This either happened or it's pure invention. If it happened, the world is a far stranger place than we take it to be. But there is no follow-up to this, no subsequent investigation, no details on exactly what the person felt during and afterwards etc. It's an extraordinary story, but if you don't want to be convinced, you won't be.

Triton SJA460 Log Jaws
Triton SJA460 Log Jaws
Offered by Ironmongery Online

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping stuff, 3 May 2012
I've never bought a Triton product that didn't work well and this is no exception. In France, logs for woodburners come in one-metre lengths so they need cutting in half, at least. With standard x-braced sawhorses you can only do that by holding the log with one hand, which means you have to wield the saw one-handed -- tiring and awkward. These things turn the Superjaws into a sort of metal alligator which can bite and hold logs of almost any size or shape. I use a bow-saw, which is pretty safe, but for anyone using a chainsaw I'd say this system is the only way to go.

The New Traditional Woodworker: From Tool Set to Skill Set to Mind Set (Popular Woodworking)
by Jim Tolpin

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 29 Nov. 2011
This is a well-written, well-illustrated book -- there can't be many amateur woodworkers who wouldn't learn a lot from it. I did, even though I do have some criticisms: I find some of his projects more complicated than they need to be (planing stop, bench hook, for example). What looks like one of his most interesting aids -- the sector -- is only shown in passing and its construction and use are not described. Pity. I'm slightly uneasy about the occasional recourse to machines, eg bandsaw, in what is essentially a guide to handwork. There doesn't seem much point in having a mechanical saw taking up floor space in the workshop if you're not going to use it on all -- or at least most-- appropriate occasions. Also it's simply not true to say handwork produces "only shavings." Pick up a handsaw and you produce sawdust!!And unlike a table saw, for example, there's no vac running at the same time to take the dust away as it's being created. Tolpin's listing of "Tools you'll need" is like many others-- and similarly lacking in detail. For example it doesn't mention the wider-bladed bow-saw -- cheap and effective -- but does list an infill plane, which is far beyond many pockets. The one-handed speed clamp is not illustrated, despite its popularity and widespread availability and thus its limitations compared to, say, a G-cramp are not described. Hand screws, which are among the most useful and versatile aids in the workshop, are pictured but not mentioned, though you can get a brief idea from a couple of photographs in the projects section. Other tools such as speciality planes are also well featured in the Projects section. Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to write a book giving really detailed, How-to instructions and tips on all the main hand tools. The sort that begins: "Congratulations on buying..." Having said all that, don't be put off, I'm being picky; I still recommend this book and have re-read my copy several times already.

Page: 1 | 2