Profile for Panos T > Reviews

Applied Econometrics
by Dr Dimitrios Asteriou
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written book, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Applied Econometrics (Paperback)
The material is perfectly exposed. The greatest advantage of the book is that it explains relatively advanced material very easily, following a step-by-step approach and providing plenty illustrative examples. I suggested this book to my MSc students and in 1-2 weeks they new about VAR, VEC, GARCH and how to apply it.

I think the book can be used by any student from 2nd year undergrand to MSc as well as from anyone who would like to learn how to use Eviews, Stata or Minitab within the context of simple econometrics.

If there is a downside with this book is that the material is introductory in principle and does not go deep, but I gues this is not the scope of the book.

European Banking: Efficiency, Technology and Growth (Wiley Finance)
European Banking: Efficiency, Technology and Growth (Wiley Finance)
by John A. Goddard
Price: 79.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book for bank efficiency, productivity and industrial organization research, 21 Feb 2013
This books seems to be suitable for researchers on bank efficiency, productivity and industrial organization (SCP paradigm etc) research. The material is nicely exposed, avoiding many technical details, leaving the reader to further explore certain issues in banking. I like that it provides theoretical foundations for the associated topics along with a review of the most important (or relevant) empirical banking studies. It is not a cookbook, though, in the sense that it teaches you the particulars of the models being used - just their foundations. Besides, it is just 280 pages. The language is good and the fonts are quite big - you read and feel no pain in the eyes if you know what I mean.

I would have given 5 stars if the authors had included an appendix with technical material and if they had used a bit of colour, along with schematic representations of theory. I would definately not pay the 90 poounds initial price for this book, but I find the current lowest price (20 pounds) a bargain. I would attach a price of 35-40 pounds for this book, if this sounds reasonable.

Modern Macroeconomics
Modern Macroeconomics
by Michael Parkin

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - only disadvantage a bit old, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Modern Macroeconomics (Hardcover)
I have used this book both to learn and teach Macroeconomics - all levels from 1st year undergraduate to MSc Econ (to provide theoretical foundations for the more complicated models). Despite its age, it is still one of the best books to teach you Macroeconomics. What I like most about it is that is exposes material using a model, unlike most moder colourful US books (some of you know what I mean). Classical, Keynesian, New Classical and New Keynesian model frameworks are used to explain most Macro topics. What I love about this book is the use of graphs and easy-going languange.

As I said, the only disadvantage of the book is that it is a bit old (1986) and does not cover most recent issues. I am aware that the authors have published other Macro books, but I have not read them to be sure about their content. All in all, a perfect book to provide solid Macro theory foundations.