Profile for Jane Smith > Reviews

Content by Jane Smith

Jane Smith "Jane" (Wales UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Zheng Gu Shui External Analgesic Lotion - 3.4 Fl. Oz. (100ml)
Zheng Gu Shui External Analgesic Lotion - 3.4 Fl. Oz. (100ml)
Offered by hongkong supply

5.0 out of 5 stars effective healing, 3 Jun. 2013
I was recommended this oil as a follow-on from "Wood Lock" oil by an acupuncturist, as a treatment for a badly sprained ankle. The Wood Lock had been suggested for the acute phase of swelling and pain, this oil was said to help with the ongoing chronic inflammation and weakness. Zheng Gu Shui's influence is said to go "through to the bone". As the sprain was caused by inadequate healing of a previous injury, with consequent weakness of the ankle, I have been pretty consistent with the use of these oils, and the Zheng Gu Shui has been applied twice a day on a regular basis. Together with shiatsu therapy and an ankle support worn when walking, it has worked wonders and my ankle, six weeks on, feels stronger than before the sprain.

Incidentally my stepson, who is a professional skateboarder, says that skaters use it on a regular basis for their many and varied injuries.

Sampradaya
Sampradaya
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sampradaya (Audio CD)
I can't possibly improve on the previous review, with my inadequate knowledge of Indian music. Having owned and treasured Pandit Shivkumar Sharma's album "Santoor" in versions from vinyl, cassette and finally CD since the '70's, I was keen to experience more of his work. I have not been disappointed. This is celestial music.

The Secret of the Golden Flower: The Classic Chinese Book of Life
The Secret of the Golden Flower: The Classic Chinese Book of Life
by Thomas Cleary

5.0 out of 5 stars A clear guide to presence, 3 Jun. 2013
I was recommended this translation of the Chinese alchemical classic by a friend. I had previously read and enjoyed the Wilhelm version, but it seemed to describe mystical and uinattainable experiences - interesting but not for me. This translation is very different. There are some passages of the beautiful Taoist poetry which is symbolic in nature and thus inscrutable if you don't know the symbolism (which Cleary explains in the notes and appendices) but mostly it is written in direct and practical language. It is a guide to recognizing consciousness, consciousness itself being the enlightenment that we dwell in all the time if we recognize it at its purest. Very simple (also very hard, at least for me, for more than two seconds). Cleary perfectly captures the friendly and helpful tone of the unknown author(s) and provides clear notes and explanations. he also points out where and why he has deviated from the Jung-influenced Wilhelm interpretation. It is a book I will continue reading and re-reading for life.

Shivkumar Sharma - Santoor
Shivkumar Sharma - Santoor
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 24 April 2013
In 1978 I bought a vinyl LP by Shivkumar Sharma withZakir Hussain called "Santur". I played it and played it, and when cassettes came in I asked a techi friend to transfer it to cassette along with a few other LPs. This was the one he commented on, calling it "extremely beautiful". I still loved it and played it all the time. My cassette was beginning to wear by the early noughties, when I got it transferred to CD by another techi. Alas, the old cassette tape was a bit stretched and wowy, and it showed on the CD, so I realised I had to try to find the original re-mastered or re-recorded. Amazon being the first port of call, lo! I found it. Thirty-five years on, the youthful Shivkumar Sharma pictured on the original LP is now a Pandit, a term of reverence. The sleeve notes say that this is recorded from a concert given in the '90's, and it is clearly live, but amazingly it is almost note for note the same as my original beloved recording.

I never tire of this music - after listening to it for thirty-five years, I am still enchanted. It is constant as a Bach fugue is constant; the rhythm is insistent but ever changing. The notes are clear as a glass bell, running in shimmering sequence like a chord or beating out a repeated melody in synch with the tabla. It is music both for the heart and the head, and for me it is music for the spirit.

Twinings Cleanse Nettle and Sweet Fennel 20 Teabags (Pack of 8, 160 Teabags)
Twinings Cleanse Nettle and Sweet Fennel 20 Teabags (Pack of 8, 160 Teabags)

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect balance, 24 April 2013
This is my favourite bedtime tea, soothing and tasty. The slightly bitter aromatic nettles are perfectly balanced by the gentle aniseedy overtone of fennel, neither of which are so good on their own. And it is beneficial - at least Ithink so! Fennel is reputedly soothing to the digestion, and nettles are rich in minerals. So a winner all round. I can't always find this tea in my local supermarket, so I was glad to get this multipack at a discount from Amazon.

THE MANDE VARIATIONS
THE MANDE VARIATIONS

5.0 out of 5 stars crystal notes, 4 April 2013
This review is from: THE MANDE VARIATIONS (Audio CD)
This is one of three kora albums I ordered after attending a kora/harp performance by Catrin Finch and Seckou Keita, where I fell in love with the kora. It is a stand-out album out of the three, with a more classical feel. I can see why it is named Mande Variations, with a nod to the Goldberg Variations - the intricate melodies and the purity of the notes make me think of Bach or Scarlatti (that sounds worthy of Pseuds Corner, but it is what I feel). The kora here is close in sound to the Indian Santoor, as other reviewers have pointed out, which is another instrument I love. Toumani Diabate is conceding nothing to popular expectations with this album, he is playing as inspiration comes through, and it does come through, flowing like a river. This is not a CD to do the washing-up to,or cuddle up with, it is music to lift you to another level of awareness.

In the heart of the moon
In the heart of the moon

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 4 April 2013
I fell in love with the kora when I saw Catrin Finch, harpist, performing together with Seckou Keita on kora. The kora sound, softly thrumming below the sometimes jangly harp, entranced me. This album produces the same feeling, with the hypnotic repetition of the base note providing the rhythm while the harmonies weave above it. It is soothing music, with a warm glow but also a lifting of the spirits, and gives a lilt to my step if I am going about my chores while listening. It is never obtrusive or overpowering, but I drink in every note, it is not background music. These two master musicians clearly gain energy from each other and creatively spur each other on. This has shot to the top of my favourite CD's, and everyone who hears it wants to know what it is, even my notably un-musical partner.

2GB USB MP3 Digital Voice Recorder UltraDisk DVR7 - FM Radio - High Quality Portable Audio Recording
Offered by UKET

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 19 Sept. 2012
Used this to record sound for a DVD, and it is excellent. Clear voice recording, minimum background noise (though we did have to reduce background noise slightly on the audio software when editing). Does what it says on the tin and does it extremely well for such a reasonable price. It produced a very professional sound in our extremely amateur setup!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mop ever, 19 Sept. 2012
This is my second E-mop, not because it wore out but because I need two mops and just love this so much. It is even better than the first one, as the head is bigger; also the first one has developed an annoying squeak in the handle. I love this mop because I don't like using lots of chemical cleaning products, and this works with plain water (although I usually add a few drops of detergent to the rinsing water) and because it cleans the floor leaving it almost dry. Much better than lugging around a bucket of dirty water that you then slop back on to the floor with a regular mop head. I make a trip back to the sink to rinse occasionally, but even so it is so much less hassle. Clean dry floor, less hassle, no chemicals, what's not to love, as they say?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 1:23 PM GMT

Roots & Branches
Roots & Branches

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music for massage, 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Roots & Branches (Audio CD)
A student brought this along to a massage class I was teaching and I bought it as a result. It lasts an hour, and was recorded, I suppose as an improvisation, to accompany a massage session. Consequently it flows smoothly, but with variations in tempo and expression instead of the 'celestial choir' or plinky-plink piano that so often can be played during massage. This music is soothing but human, warm and gutsy as well; you don't get bored with it.

Page: 1 | 2