Profile for Sixties fan > Reviews

Sixties fan "Peter"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Doctor Who & Other Classic Ron Grainer Themes
Doctor Who & Other Classic Ron Grainer Themes

5.0 out of 5 stars My long overdue duty to tell the world how brilliant this cd is, 5 Sept. 2013
I feel this is my long overdue duty to spread the word for this long deleted cd.

This was manufactured in 1994. There are 30 generous tracks in total. The sound for a cd this old is fantastic. It says it was digitally remastered, also 'subject to Cedar and Sonic Solutions processing'. I have no idea what this means, but all I can tell you it's crystal clear sound, and it almost sounds as though it was recorded yesterday.

After listening to this cd quite regularly over almost 20 years I have come to the conclusion based on the tracks here that Ron Grainer was a genius. I have a few TV compilations in my collection (various artists) but this is the most cohesive collection by far. If you compare 'Maigret' to any other track here there is so much variety of sound and music that if you didn't know better you'd think that this was a compilation of different artists. He had a magnificent talent, and he kept adapting his music through the 60s, and right into the 70s.

Obviously, the best known tune here is 'Doctor Who' and it's the original version too. If that is your only reason for buying this cd you won't be disappointed. On top of that you'll get 29 other bonus tracks. There are so many highlights. You'll recognize some of the tracks instantly just by looking at the track list alone. 'Steptoe and Son' stripped away from it's visual is a jaunty tune that does stand up to repeated playing. You get the magnificent 'Tales Of The Unexpected' and the once heard never forgotten (in a good way)'disco version'.

The track I have listened the most is from an obscure film 'Only When I Larf' Love Theme. It is such a beautiful tune with an intricate arrangement, featuring flute, guitar, piano and not much else. If you have to listen to one track from this album then this is the one. It's on YouTube. Hugely recommended.

If that one track has whetted your appetite then my job is done.

A maginificent cd all round. Someone, somewhere should reissue it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 6:54 PM GMT

Music to Die for: Death Discs 1914-1960
Music to Die for: Death Discs 1914-1960

5.0 out of 5 stars I've bought one of these tracks and it's brilliant, 23 April 2013
I've just bought one of the tracks from this compilation: Robert Horton's Sail Ho which I have only heard on Brian Matthews's Sound Of the Sixties. I know nothing about Robert Horton other than he was a star of the 1960's tv series Wagon Train. I gather this song was a b side. It's a haunting track and at 5 minutes long, quite long. It tells a story of a prospector trying to find his fortune digging for gold. On the way his mule dies and he's left with no water. Will he live or die? It's quite a tour-de-force of a song. Another reviewer mentioned that the sound quality was excellent throughout the compilation. I can't comment on the other tracks but this track was definitely taken from vinyl- you can hear all the little scratches and not always very clear. I wonder if there's a digitally remastered take of this somewhere. All in all give this track a try. I think it's brilliant.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 9:00 PM BST

Here Come the Boys - Volume 1
Here Come the Boys - Volume 1
Offered by soulsearchingplus

4.0 out of 5 stars Here Come The Boys Volume 1, 23 Sept. 2012
Before I start This review relates to Here Come The Boys Volume 1. For some reason Amazon have incorrectly linked this to "Soul Underground Vol.2: Time Marches On" as well.

There was only 1 reason why I bought this CD. That reason is Vince Hill! He of Edelweiss fame. When I put it on my wish list this was the only CD appearance of Just As (You Belong To Me). Why should this 1 track be of any interest? For me the reason is very simple - Geoff Goddard. Johnny Remember Me, Just Like Eddie, anyone? A nice little track not produced by Joe Meek, but still worth getting.

That leaves 23 other tracks. Looking at just the track listing there are a few tracks that would be on a few collectors lists, but I have to admit not many known tracks to me.

Being a fan of record producer Curt Boettcher I'm very familiar with Sagittarius's cover of My World Fell Down. Here we have Ivy League's original and what a lovely record it is too.

Other tracks worth mentioning are The West Coast Consortium. Their hit All The Love In The World would have been a more obvious choice then Looking Back but still worth a listen. Check out their cd Looking Back: the Pye Anthology if you can.

A Band Of Angels feature Mike D'Abo who would soon become a Manfred Mann.

Searchers fans will be familiar with the name Tony Jackson who performs a obscure Goffin and King composition.

Their chart days were well and truly over but here are Jimmy Justice and Mark Wynter with songs from 1965.

The Chants I Could Write A Book, a song originally in the musical Pal Joey is here given a annoyingly catchy nonsense hook all throughout the song.

The actor Oliver Reed puts in a sterling effort with Ecstasy ( a Pomus and Spector song).

Big Black Smoke is a Ray Davies song, nice little record too.

There is one major problem with this cd. No killer tracks, not even a sniff of a hit to entice you in. I don't have a problem with this but it does mean that this little treasure of a compilation does get easily overlooked. If you're a fan of Sixties music there will be something on this disc that you will surely like. Worth investigating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2013 8:15 PM BST

You & I
You & I

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful album, 17 July 2012
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
The first I heard of The Pierces was the single "Kissing You Goodbye" a turntable hit on Radio 2. This was the only familiar track when I bought this cd. I must say I have enjoyed it immensely. Great singing, great catchy songs, and a consistently enjoyable album.
Please don't hesitate to get this. It's worth taking the chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That's Why God Made The Radio
That's Why God Made The Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I could ever imagine, 28 Jun. 2012
I am a Beach Boys fan.

I love such albums like Pet Sounds, Beach Boys Today and Sunflower and everyone who just has their Greatest Hits should add these to their collection. Sunflower from 1970 is probably my last favourite album of theirs, and that record is 42 years old. I have dipped into much of their 70s output and to be honest much of it is I rarely play.

So here we are in 2012. Yes I heard some time ago that Brian Wilson was going to rejoin the Beach Boys and that a new album was going to be released. I heard the single 'That's Why God Made The Radio' and I loved what I heard. I was tempted to download this 1 track but I thought perhaps I'll wait until the album comes out, and see what was being said about it. The first few reviews I saw in the papers gave it 3 stars, and on Amazon the first few reviews were generally favourable.

I took the plunge and I bought it. What can I say about this album? Shall I say is it as good as Pet Sounds or Sunflower? I decided against doing this and I will try to judge it completely on its own merits.

I've had this cd a few weeks now. I thought the best way to approach this cd in terms of reviewing it is: did I like the track that I just heard; and would I want to play the cd again. Before even I started playing it, I was prepared to be disappointed. For me their last crucial record was 42 years ago, and the Beach Boys are, putting it bluntly old men. Age is for the most part not kind on peoples vocal chords. I remember seeing Andy Williams on Jools Holland, he was singing but it was obvious that his voice had gone.

So, finally after most tracks I can say 'I Loved that', the only exception is 'Beaches In Mind' which is just okay. The songs hark back to the songs I love so much from the sixties. I find myself singing along to 'The Private Life Of Bill and Sue'. There is a lot to savour in these tracks, the Beach Boys harmonies, the production is spot on, and the songs are pretty good. I have to admit I have played this cd constantly and it has not been a chore.

Based on it's own merits it's a enjoyable album and recommend it to anyone who was ever a fan of the Beach Boys.

Sounds of the Sixties
Sounds of the Sixties
Offered by MasterDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Big confession: I haven't got this cd but..., 8 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Sounds of the Sixties (Audio CD)
Ever since I heard it on Brian Matthew's Sound Of The Sixties there has been one track that I've tried to get on MP3 or CD with zero success. Up to now that track has been impossible to come by, except on Youtube. I was glancing through the track listing of this cd and there it was. That track is No Fun At The Fair by Bobby Goldsboro, a fantastically catchy upbeat song written by Mike D'Abo and I've just downloaded it. Brilliant, Wonderful. Goodness knows why this was never a hit. So, thank you Brian Matthews for introducing this track on the airwaves and thanks to this cd which means I can now listen to this track on my MP3 player whenever I want.

As for the rest of the tracklist I like the fact that there are very few obvious tracks. I have many Sixties compilations and various greatest hits collections but I have very few of the tracks that are on this compilation. So, on the surface it looks worth getting especially if you don't just like the obvious sixties tracks.

Baby Pop
Baby Pop

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Pop Record, 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Baby Pop (Audio CD)
This is the second France Gall Cd I've purchased. The other being 1968. I've found the other cd a difficult cd to get into. However with this one I've enjoyed it immensely, playing it over and over again.

There are only 12 tracks but each one's a winner. I don't understand what's being sung, because I don't understand French but it doesn't matter. The catchy melodies and the lovely singing play a part in making this a very enjoyable record.

For your information here is the track listing:

1. Baby Pop
9. Nous Ne Sommes pas Des Anges
10. On Se Ressemble Toi Et Moi
11. Deux Oiseaux
12. Et Des Baisers

This is a very interesting, lively CD. Baby Pop has one of the cheesiest backing vocals ever, but very catchy. Track 2 has France practically breathing into the microphone in a very seductive way. Irresistable. Track 3 appears on the C'est Chic compilation on Ace. Track 7 is my particular favourite, catchy organ riff, great vocals from France. The sort of track that I would love to hear on Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC). Nice video of this track on You Tube. Tracks 4 and 9 are written by Serge Gainsbourg. The album hangs together very nicely from beginning to end,

There are other worthwhile French female singer Cds. The 2 cd Francoise Hardy The Vogue Years represents excellent value for money. Baby Pop in my opinion is one of the best albums of the sixties. France Gall's lovely vocals and great accompanient by Alain Goraguer and his Orchestra. Recommended highly. I just love this record.

Are Not For Smoking
Are Not For Smoking

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cd for any Sixties fan, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Are Not For Smoking (Audio CD)
This has to be one of my most favourite recent purchases that I have played over and over and over again. File under Sunshine Pop but also file under Good Music. The songs are largely unfamiliar but all excellently written. There are imaginative arrangements, the use of sitars, strings, brass. You name it it's in the mix somewhere.

This has been one of the most consistently enjoyable cds I own. Happy was their big hit which was also covered by The Sunshine Company. The Blades version is in my opinion the better version. There are many other highlights including 'I Love You Alice B Toklas' which is also the title of a film starring Peter Sellers(1968). There are also 2 cover versions: Help and Walk Away Renee. I thought when I saw these listed Uh Oh Filler. But I've been pleasantly surprised how good these versions are. Help in particular is not played straight and slows right down towards the end. There is not a duff track in this collection.

Produced by Bill and Steve Jerome, whoever they are but they've done a fantastic job. I have only come across the name Steve Jerome on a Reparata And The Delrons Cd and I thought those tracks he produced was pleasantly interesting.

If you like artists like The Millenium, Sagittarius, Left Banke, even sixties Beach Boys you will not be disappointed. I have had a few Rev-Ola cds, and this is the tops. Recommended highly.

Samsung YP-Q1JEB/XEU 16GB Black MP3/4 Multimedia Player Works w/ BBC iPlayer
Samsung YP-Q1JEB/XEU 16GB Black MP3/4 Multimedia Player Works w/ BBC iPlayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player., 31 Aug. 2011
I bought this second hand a year and a half ago. It's going very strong. I've had a Sandisk player before and that only just about lasted a year. Great sound, loads of storage, easy to navigate and very reliable to date. Would recommend highly.

Update: 4 Feb 2012. I have now had this MP3 2 years now. Dropped a few times, used daily, not well looked after to be honest, but works perfectly. So for reliabilty I would give Samsung 10 out of 10.

Natural Living tube tunnel with curve, 25 cm (for mice, hamsters etc)
Natural Living tube tunnel with curve, 25 cm (for mice, hamsters etc)
Offered by Country Life Services Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good but, 12 Jun. 2011
Bought this for 2 gerbils. It takes up a lot of room in the gerbilarium. It is made up of 3 sturdy segments. It is held together by small nails, some of which were coming loose. In the end I got a chisel and hammer. I seperated the three segments, removed all the nails. I'm left with one smaller log, 2 spare segments and no protruding nails for them to bite into or worse. It now no longer takes up as much room. We can fit in a house as well now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3