Profile for Cloggy > Reviews

Queen Of Denmark
Queen Of Denmark
Price: 8.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Undiscovered joys, 2 July 2010
This review is from: Queen Of Denmark (Audio CD)
After more than 30 years of regular gig going, I continue to be amazed that you can still come across hitherto unknown artists of real quality. So attendance at a Midlake concert found me arriving just as Mr Grant took to the stage. The fact that his backing band are Midlake led me and my friends to conclude that we were indeed watching the main act. We started to look at each other as each song went by, with general agreement that this was really very bloody good (and also perhaps a]wondering why we were not hearing any songs that we knew and b] that the singers voice sounds very different and much stronger than on their records). Realisation dawned eventually of course, and I quickly bought this disc there and then.
Would not necessarily add to the very positive comments already, would endorse them wholeheartedly. This had me singing along to songs after three plays. Wonderful lyrics, pathos and humour. It has made me search out the Czars and is only the second or third album this year that I've specifically been recommending to friends. Thankyou you wonderful God of music and thankyou Mr Grant.
Two final things - his voice sounds fairly different live to the record - both equally as good. But I'd recommend seeing the live show. Oh, and Midlake were a disappointment [perhaps because they followed this], and i left early.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2010 9:35 AM GMT