Profile for MojoSan > Reviews

Content by MojoSan

MojoSan

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Series Collection (Episodes 1-64) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romi Park

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasing mix of light and dark, 15 April 2014
If you enjoy anime this is well worth getting. Although I haven't sen the original series (this is a remake) I have been told by several others that in this case the remake is the one to go for. I won't go into story because hopefully you'll enjoy that for yourself, but I do want to talk about tone, plotting and character. We'll start with tone, this is overall a very light hearted adventure, with plenty of cutsey and funny moments typical to anime however, be warned it will go to dark places. The overall tone, is lighter than Bleach or many other mainstream anime's but you will occasionally find yourself thrust into very dark regions with it. Much darker in fact than the aforementioned mainstream anime for the most part. That said it has excellent plotting, the story doesn't feel contrived and it happily avoids the standard anime format of meet new more powerful opponent, gain new secret more powerful technique/weapon/magic, defeat new opponent, rinse repeat. And keeps the plot and characters developing well. On character, well there's no dissapointment from the delightful contrast between Ed and Al, the protagonists to hilarious characters such as the strong arm alchemist. As I say however the plot is good and we all know that doesn't work when there are just novelty characters so don't worry you will find plenty of determined and heroic characters who develop and grow through the story. Anyway, enjoy it.

Prohibited Beats
Prohibited Beats

5.0 out of 5 stars Drum god does it again!, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Prohibited Beats (MP3 Download)
For any drummer the name Jojo Mayer is synonymous with excellent technique combined with true personality, having followed Jojo himself for sometime I finally decided to take an interest in his band and was delighted by the result. Having teamed up with 2 more equally talented musicians together they have created a beautiful fusion of live jazz style drum and bass music. The effects and riffs on the bass are enough for any fan of electric music backed up by beautiful and weird harmonies and flourishes from the synth player who also occasionally lends a hand in brass. The whole thing is of course driven by Jojo's unique sound and pushing rhythms, apologies to non drummers for the emphasis on Jojo, but I can only write from where I am and that's a drummer. apologies also to the other excellent musicians in Nerve who deserve every bit as much credit as Jojo but who's names I have yet to memorise!

IV
IV

4.0 out of 5 stars Good heavy music, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
I've followed Earthtone9 for sometime now and while this album is a departure from their earlier work it keeps it's distinctive eastern tint. They seem to have gone for a rather more old school sound with hints of Dio in the vocals on a few tracks, to be honest it was more of a grower whereas their first 2 albums ('off kilter enhancement' and 'arc tangent') grabbed me instantly. Overall, it's a good solid album with a few pleasant twists in the tail and some excellent tunes.

Martial Arts Foam Training shoto
Martial Arts Foam Training shoto
Offered by TSA Martial Arts

4.0 out of 5 stars playwell playsafe, 6 Sept. 2013
pretty self explanatory really, good quality foam covered shoto with a wooden core and rubber caps. I probably use them for heavier contant sparring than you should and occasionally the endcap can be knocked off, you may also recieve minor cuts to the knuckles or forearm from your opponents hiltguard. As I say I think I use them for heavier contact than they are built for and I think the quality overall is very good, after all, if your training for knife fights you shouldn't moan about a few split knuckles.