Profile for Lady A > Reviews

Content by Lady A

Lady A "Medieval Fan" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Vow (DVD + UV Copy)  [2012]
The Vow (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Rachel McAdams

5.0 out of 5 stars The best chick flick, Ive seen in along while, 21 April 2013
Leo and Paige spent five wonderful years married to one another, until a car accident left their lives in turmoil and her with no memory of that last five years and him losing the love of his life. As Leo tries to come to terms with the fact that the woman he loves does not remember him at all, he also has to try to make her remember what they had. How could he possibly do that with a woman who cannot even bare his touch? We see her go back to the only life she can remember with her overbearing parents and a jilted fiancé. Leo in the meantime tries desperately to try to woo her back and make her remember; only to find he is defeated by memories of her present life back at home. I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of the ending, but it's not what you hope to happen as she never regains her memory.

I loved this film. It's the best chick flick I've seen in a long time and it's totally believable as it is based on a true story. Get your hankies ready ladies, you will need them. I'm a fan of Channing Tatum and he did not disappoint and Rachel McAdams was brilliant as ever. You really need to see this film you won't regret it ladies, why not make a night of it with a box of tissues, box of chocolates and a good wine and your girlie friends. Please remember the man in your life may not really like this film, especially when he gets a load of Channing's six pack, although Rachel McAdams pert backside may make him smile.

The Iron Lady [DVD]
The Iron Lady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

4.0 out of 5 stars The Iron Lady - Her Funeral today, 17 April 2013
This review is from: The Iron Lady [DVD] (DVD)
Today is Lady Thatchers funeral and I decided I wanted more of an insight into the women rather than the political ogre as she has been portrayed over the years. I think you either love her or hate her and since her death last week, she has been verbally abused for her running of the country through media and socal networks. Such a shame as she was still a mother and grandmother.

The film takes you through her life in flash backs from meagre beginnings in Grantham as a girl growing up in her parent's grocery shop, to her old age and the onset of dementia.

What was nice was the love she had for Denis which bought out a very human side to this powerful women, but then there was Margaret the bully as she is portrayed, having men of the cabinet quake in her presence. There are political flashbacks of various stages over her 11 1/2 yrs in power, which include the minors protest and of course the Falkland's war.

The film does in parts, not shed her in a good light, however there were parts where she was very vulnerable. All I can say is Meryl Streep and Jim Broadbent were exceptional and I feel it's worth a look so that you may make up your own mind

Angel [DVD]
Angel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai

4.0 out of 5 stars Angel - Love it? Not sure, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Angel [DVD] (DVD)
I would watch anything with Michael Fassbender in, so I watched Angel with trepidation, not knowing whether I would like this or not. Surely as Michael was in it, I should be OK right. Well the Jury's out I'm afraid. I loved him in it and I loved Romola Garai as the heroine. But I did find it very soppy in parts and a bit unbelievable.

The film is an adaptation from the novel by Elizabeth Taylor which I have never read, so I have nothing to compare it to. It's set in the Edwardian era and I cannot fault the setting, costume design and cinematography. If you can get past the fantasy world that Angel lives in then you will enjoy the film. Watch it and see for yourself. All said, I still enjoyed it immensely.

Centurion [DVD]
Centurion [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Fassbender

4.0 out of 5 stars Centurion - Surprised, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Centurion [DVD] (DVD)
As a fan of Michael Fassbender, I watched this film with trepidation for fear of the film not living up to my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I did enjoy it. It's not a period of history that usually appeals to me, however as he played a main part I had to watch it.

It's set in England at the time of the Roman occupation and depicts the savage battles going on between the roman invaders and the Picts for supremacy of the country. We see our hero (Michael Fassbender) guarding a remote outpost which is raided by the Picts and he is taken prisoner, but subsequently escapes, to another post which homes the Ninth Legion. They in turn set about finding the Picts and wiping them out completely.

They are aided by (Etain) Olga Kurylenko who a Pict herself is going to track for them, but turns out to be in league with them and unfortunately leads them into a trap and the whole Ninth legion are wiped out leaving a handful of men to try and save their general (Dominic West) who has been taken captive. They break into the camp and one of the men kills the son of the king, who orders they are found and killed, hence the cat and mouse game begins.

Along the way they are assisted by Arianne who has been banished as a witch by the Picts and you can immediately see the sexual chemistry between our hero and her. After resting they continue to a near outpost where they are forced to stand against the Picts who are chasing them and the inevitable happens as they stand their ground. There are some surprising twists and turns and I don't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment further as I really think you should watch the film. You won't be disappointed.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (DVD + UV Copy( [2013]
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (DVD + UV Copy( [2013]
Dvd ~ Hugo Weaving
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit: I wasn't dissapointed, 14 April 2013
I did have mixed feelings about this film, as I didn't think it would live up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbit is just one book and this first instalment is just one small part of the bigger picture. I still found the film delightful, the same great cinematography and feel good feeling. I believe there will be 3 films altogether and it is yet to be seen if the book does not get a little diluted by condensing it into 3 movies. I can't help getting that "will I get bored feeling "however as a fan of the books and films, I hope not. The characters are believable and some new as well as old familiar faces are appearing. I'm sure you will also see as the films progress other characters we know and love will be back. A must for any fan.

Arn: Knight Templar [DVD]
Arn: Knight Templar [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Callow
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Arn: Knight Templar - One for the Ladies as well, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Arn: Knight Templar [DVD] (DVD)
Our story begins with Arn being sent to a monastery as a boy where he grows up and is taught to read and write. He also is taught to fight by one of the monks who see's the potential in him to be a great warrior. We soon see him grow into a bright young man, who does not yet know his fighting prowess. Whilst he is out riding he spots Cecilia and there is an immediate attraction, which is brought to the monks attention, and decided it's time to send him home to his parents.
Once back home he is caught amongst the bitter fighting between rival clans and is finds himself fighting for his father's honour.

OK now for the soppy girlie bit: It is here he is reunited with Cecilia and the inevitable happens and as a consequence of their actions they are both banished to do penance, her to a nunnery and he to the crusades as a Knight Templar for 20 years. They vow to love one another forever, with him promising to come back for her.

OK back to the crusades, where he proves to be an honourable and great knight. He inadvertently saves the life of Saladin and a bond of honour is reached between the two men. He fights in many battles and if you know your history then you will no doubt know the outcome. He is given an honourable discharge and returns to Sweden, but not without some trouble.

OK, soppy girlie alert: Once home he is reunited with Cecilia and we have once again all the sexual chemistry and love stuff. However he finds himself once again going into battle to save the honour of his country and king. I'm going to stop there as I really don't want to spoil anymore of the plot for you.

I didn't realise when I bought the DVD that it was originally from a trilogy of books by Jan Guillou of which I have never read. I just love anything to do with Knights and medieval history. The fight scenes were authentic as was the costume and set design and we mustn't forget there was an underlying love story at its heart which will please the ladies. It's well worth watching, my only criticism is that parts are spoken in Swedish/Arabic with sub-titles which is why I only gave it a 4 star, but this doesn't deflect from your enjoyment of a great movie. Well worth a watch.

Magic Mike [DVD] [2012]
Magic Mike [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Channing Tatum

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Mike, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Magic Mike [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I'm such a fan of Channing Tatum since I saw him in Step Up, that I had to watch this, although I was put off by the Chippendale type theme of the movie. Behind the pump and grind of the male bodies, there is a love story emerging. Channings dance moves dont dissapoint. Not one to watch with the man in your life as this is more of a chick flick. Worth a watch for any Channing fan

Rose Among Thorns (Harlequin Historical)
Rose Among Thorns (Harlequin Historical)
by Catherine Archer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Rose Among Thorns - Catherine Archer, 11 April 2013
Our story is set at the time of the norman conquest and tells the story of Rose, a saxon women who has lost her father and brother in the conquest and finds herself trying to lead her people despite her land being given over the a norman knight. She accepts her fate but does not relish the fact that she has also been awarded in marriage to the knight who holds her lands.

Sir Gaston finds Rose, strong willed and sorely tests his patience. She has been given to his brother by royal decree, but he finds himself strongly attracted to Rose like no other women he has known and vows to make her his, despite their differences.

Here we have a story of conflict between two people of different cultures. The sexual chemistry is abundant throughout the book. Will she wont she. Does he want to, of course he does. Behind the romance is a good story line and there is enough romance to keep you excited and wanting more. If you love the era 1066 as I do then this is a book you should read. I have given it 4 stars as I felt the ending was a little lacking as some questions were left unanswered, but you will have to read the book and make up your own mind. Maybe this is because another story will emerge.

The Golden Lure (Legacy of Love)
The Golden Lure (Legacy of Love)
by Juliet Landon

4.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Lure - Juliet Landon, 5 April 2013
The book is set in the reign of Edward III and tells the tale of Ginevra Mallard, who's mundain life in a priory has not set her well for life outside its walls, until a chance meeting with a handsome stranger has made her question her own feelings an wants.

Sir Jais de la Roche has bargained for the hand of Ginervra and to Ginervra's distress, he turns out to be the strainger who has stired her feelings back at the priory.

I love Juliet Landon, she always takes you back to the era she is writing about. The sexual chemistry is always there and is prevelant throughout the book. Our heroine trys to be strong willed, but as in many romance novels the hero gets the upper hand and to be honest we are talking about the 14th century not the 21st. There is conflict between the two, but you will have to read the book to find out if they resolve it.

I have given this book 4 stars as the first 1/4 of the book was a little slow, but then the pace picks up and it gets better and better. A good read.

A Moment's Madness (Mills & Boon Historical)
A Moment's Madness (Mills & Boon Historical)
by Helen Kirkman

4.0 out of 5 stars A Moment's Madness - Helen Kirkman, 3 April 2013
The story is of Sigrids fate. A Viking widow who has thrown herself at the mercy of a mighty Saxon Warrior, Leifwin. With the English army demolishing her village, what else has she to do. At first she is worried of what he will do and is torn by fear and revenge as the English and Vikings are locked in a bitter battle for supremacy over England. The story which is set in England 917AD in the reign of King Edward the Elder transports you back to that time in history, when the Vikings were defeated and the Saxons rule England until the Norman invasion. The sexual chemistry between the two main charactors is brilliant and there is nothing better than two people that start out not liking each other and finding there cultures clash. Its a story about revenge, acceptance and above all love. Please read this you will not be disappointed, especailly if you love that period in history and love the game of cat and mouse between two people.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3