ARRAY(0xa02514e0)

Profile for liandra > Reviews

Content by liandra

liandra

A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 1 Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still good, but splitting the story geographically was a massive mistake..., 2 May 2012
Despite a lot of negative amazon reviews I still found myself reading this book long into the night - the intrigues, places and characters still pull you into a world that is fantastical yet totally believable.

BUT...as with A feast for crows I found the split storylines (events in Kings Landing and Westeros covered in Book 4 and parallel events in Essos/the North in Book 5) unbelievably frustrating- what on earth posessed GRRM to pursue this? The reader is constantly trying to remember the events of Book 4 and how they fit into A dance with dragons. I found that I cared less what happened to Danaerys etc. because I had not read about them for so long, and I wanted to know what was happening in Kings Landing- but to no avail.

Worth buying, but in my opinion this series is no longer the great fantasy epic that it could have been.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2012 3:29 PM BST

Heart's Blood
Heart's Blood
by Juliet Marillier

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing! dull, flat and predictable, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: Heart's Blood (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this book, being a HUGE fan of Juliet Marillier (especially her Sevenwaters trilogy). But the plotline is sadly lacking, it is too simple and predictable- we can tell what is going to happen miles off Juliet! Pretty Caitrin arrives alone at a mysterious castle owned by the reclusive, tetchy (but vulnerable and handsome) Anluan. Slowly she earns the regard and trust of the castle's inhabitants and the spectral 'host' that haunts its grounds. Oh and what a surprise- falling for Anluan! The characters are flat; Caitrin is annoyingly perfect, Anluan predictably troubled but lovable. The sub-plot of Nechtan and his creation of the 'host' is good, dark and compelling, adding a bit of substance to what is otherwise a lot of sentimental and descriptive padding.

One of the things I love about Juliet Marillier's previous books is her vivid portrayal of the beliefs, food, customs, clothing, politics etc. of a particular time and place. There is little of this in Heart's Blood- it could be set anywhere really and I wasn't drawn into its world.

This is not a bad book, it's an easy read and if you enjoy simple historical romances you might like it. Based on her other books though, I was expecting more.