Profile for Gary Nicholson > Reviews

Content by Gary Nicholson

Gary Nicholson "gazmundo" (Norfolk UK)

A Field Guide To The Birds Of Thailand
A Field Guide To The Birds Of Thailand
by Craig Robson

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay, 25 Oct 2014
Very similar to the Field Guide to the Birds of India(Krys Kazmierczak), I think I probably could have got by in Thailand with this. It's not clear on those birds endemic only to Thailand. A good book though.

Deep Sea and Foreign Going: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Brings You 90% of Everything
by Rose George

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, 8 April 2014
Plenty of facts in amongst the narrative makes this a reall good informative read. Rose makes the characters real and conveys the frustration and boredom of the crew while at the same time reassuring the reader of the prfessionalism of this particular crew at least! I like it.

Acme SS-204 6W 2.1 Speaker System
Acme SS-204 6W 2.1 Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool, 8 April 2014
Ok so I grew up with Wile E Coyote and Road Runner so anything with ACME on it was an alarm bel cos Wile E always ended up with defective gods from them but thes e speakers are excellent for the money. Other reviewers go on about woofers tweeters and tone and sound quality but if like me you don't wera sandals and socks (=beard) and just want to listen to music while working or gaming these are more than adequate.

Tubular Beats
Tubular Beats

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and has greater longevity than MOTR ever will, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
Overall brilliant even the weaker are better than anything on Man on the Rocks by a distanceand taht's taking into account the genre difference. Not new stuff but the remixes work for me.

Man On The Rocks
Man On The Rocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Gutted thought it would be better but TRULY BAD, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Man On The Rocks (Audio CD)
Having heard sailing and chariots on the pre-released you tube/amazon video's I was reminded of Earth Moving, an equally dreadful CD of songs by MO to get out of his 13 album deal when he was in dispute with Virgin. On one of the video clips Mike says's he doesn't think of himself as a songwriter, neither do I. The lyrics are excruciatingly simplistic or over derived to rhyme and fail to convey the meaning attributed to them in my view. I have to ask the question why Luke Spiller (good voice but not to my taste) would do this when I think he would rather prefer his band (The Struts) to be played on BBC R1 rather than this fare which is decidely BBC R2. On i-tunes sailing was at 122 when I last looked, probably dropped out now that the MO fans have bought it. Confidence knocked, binned from MO FB sycophants page for expressing the same opinion. Oh well another drink on me Mike but proably the last.

Surround Sound Bar (PS3)
Surround Sound Bar (PS3)

1.0 out of 5 stars Surround Sound? You're Having a Laugh!, 13 Dec 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this expecting surround sound. Perhaps I should have done my research better, the only chance of surround sound with the paltry 10w output would maybe be in a box room or a toilet. The sub woofer(?) is pathetic and the lack of surround sound extremely dissappointing. If you think this will immerse you in the game then think again, steer clear this is not the product it purports to be in my view. Absolutely gutted, I expect better from Sony.

Cafe Del Mar XV
Cafe Del Mar XV

2.0 out of 5 stars Truly Dreadful, 25 Aug 2008
This review is from: Cafe Del Mar XV (Audio CD)
Thanks Guys for the heads up on this. Been a CDM fan for years and have bought the Cds blindly and the last two have been truly dreadful. Too many awful songs on this and what's worse 3 CDs of it! Where's the instrumenetal chil out gone? I'll be downloading the tracks I like and forgetting the CD. It will leave a hole in the CD rack where 15 should be but I can always print off the CD cover put in an emty case so it looks complete without having to buy this dirge. Sorry CDM but you have truly lost your way on this one.

Tubular Bells 2003
Tubular Bells 2003
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 26 May 2003
This review is from: Tubular Bells 2003 (Audio CD)
Been waiting for this for years and WOW was this worth waiting for. Thought the original was good but this is absolutely fantastic, as perfect as it can get. Absolute tears of joy that this brilliant piece of music has been enhanced on re-recording and not crucified. If only they had left the sailors hornpipe off and extended the ambient guitars. If you liked the original for it's imperfections you'll like TB2003 for it's perfection