Profile for Mr J R Colebrook > Reviews

Mr J R Colebrook

Boules Unisex Set of 8 Boules - Black/Silver
Boules Unisex Set of 8 Boules - Black/Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Condition, 8 Aug 2013
The boules seem like good quality but unfortunately the plastic in the packaging was broken in multiple places and some of the boules are tarnished. Haven't had a chance to test them as they're going straight back. Very disappointed as I wanted to use them this weekend at a party. Think I'll just go to a shop and save myself the wait and hassle of having to send stuff back, again!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 7:33 PM BST

Cinematic Storytelling: The 100 Most Powerful Film Conventions Every Filmmaker Must Know
by Jennifer Van Sijll

4.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, 8 Aug 2013
As someone who is interested in film making, I found this book fascinating. It covers a wide range of techniques and provides multiple examples. Some I was already aware of, but some that I had not encountered before. It details concise information about each technique with illustrative examples. It is odd that the images are not in colour, especially as some of the techniques are about it. It did encourage me to revisit several films, appreciating them anew.

The Story of Film: A concise history of film and an odyssey of international cinema
by Mark Cousins

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 8 Aug 2013
A wonderful journey through the history of film. The breadth and scope of this book is amazing and I found it hard to put down. I also have the DVD, which I would highly recommend. They make essential viewing/reading for anyone who is interested in film. It has inspired me to watch some films I would have previously been unaware of.

Film Art: An Introduction
Film Art: An Introduction
by David Bordwell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book, 8 Aug 2013
I first encountered Film Art on my degree course and found it to be an invaluable source of information. Decades later I wanted to read it again and found the updated version just as useful and engaging. For anyone who loves film, this is a fascinating read, expertly written and full of examples from cinema around the world. The fact that I could pick up a copy second hand so cheaply was excellent - a new copy will set you back over £70.