Profile for Alan Cook > Reviews

Content by Alan Cook

Alan Cook (UK)

Blistex Relief Cream
Blistex Relief Cream
Offered by NANOBITS LIMITED (PROMPTLY DESPATCHED WITHIN ONE WORKING DAY)
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the original., 21 Jan 2014
My mum used to use this on herself and me going back what seems like 50 years, when it was called Blisteze. I don't know if it really is that old, but when Tesco stopped selling it, I was mortified! So glad I found it on here. I've tried loads of other lip balms, but nothing beats good old Blisteze (Blistex)

Steiff 28cm Fynn Teddy Bear (Beige)
Steiff 28cm Fynn Teddy Bear (Beige)
Price: 23.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality item, 21 Jan 2014
I bought this for my one tear old grandson and I think he likes it very much. It's a step up from your normal cheap teddy, is definitely quality, and I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Camille Mens All In One Green Camouflage Print Fleece Pocketed Pyjama Onesie Size S-5XL L
Offered by Camille Lingerie
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Me? In a Onesie? Yep!, 21 Jan 2014
I never thought I'd buy a Onesie, but with the recent cold weather and living in a fridge for a flat, I thought I'd take the plunge. I'm glad I did.
I ordered a Large size from Camille Lingerie. It arrived promptly, and was of good quality.. trouble was, it was a little short in the arms and legs dept. Now I am definitely not that tall - 5' 9.5" to be exact, so was a tad disappointed. I sent it back to Camille (using their pre paid label), and have now received an extra large in exchange. I'm more than happy with Camilles easy returns policy.
Although only just long enough now, I'm quite happy with my purchase. I'd still like another couple of inches in the arms and legs though, but that would be being over fussy. The cuffs are elasticated, so if they were longer, they wouldn't swamp you.
It only has a one way zip, but that hasn't been a problem at all.
It seems a good quality item, but haven't had anything to compare it to.
I must admit, I now get home from work and jump straight into my Onesie and am settled for the evening, feeling comfy and warmer than before... it's just a shame I don't look like the bloke in the picture wearing it!
One piece of advice.. buy a size larger than you think you need.

AmazonBasics Articulating Universal TV Wall Mount for 10 - 40 Inch (25 - 101 cm) Flat Panel Displays up to 36.2 kg Black
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a little tip, 1 Aug 2013
This is a great wall mount, but there is an easier way to ensure it's straight on the wall. Just drill the top hole first, attach to the wall, then drop a plumb line from the top hole and adjust the bracket so the line shows that the bracket is perpendicular on the wall. Then use a small drill to start with.. this will ensure the accuracy and also stop the drill 'wandering' in brickwork. Drill through the holes in the bracket as a guide, then loosen the top screw and swivel the bracket away to finish your drilling. Then use the next size drill, and when you're sure it's straight make the correct size holes. If you can drill, and use a plumb line properly, you can't go wrong.

BACKGAMMON SET.  BLACK EXECUTIVE CASE.45cm(18")
BACKGAMMON SET. BLACK EXECUTIVE CASE.45cm(18")
Offered by elysiumenterprises
Price: 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit cheap, 27 July 2013
Leaving the idiot courier service aside, I'd like to say that I'm a bit disappointed with my Backgammon set. It would have been ok if it was under 20, but I can't understand why it was rated so highly. The plastic that covers the board feels cheap and nasty, and I doubt will take much for it to rip. It also has a couple of 'dents' in it straight out the box. The internal finish to the points is not that good either, some are cut short and aren't all even. It's playable ok, but the word Executive doesn't really suit this item. I won't be getting this out to play with a sense of pride in years to come.

Dances with Wolves - Director's Cut [1990] [Dutch Import]
Dances with Wolves - Director's Cut [1990] [Dutch Import]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, but beware this edition, 15 May 2009
I love this film, but due to my mind not thinking far enough ahead, I made a mistake with this one.
The description clearly states that this is a European import, and that the subtitles are Dutch. Fine I thought, I'll turn them off and just listen. The problem was that I hadn't seen this film for so long, that I'd forgotten how much of it is spoken in a native American tongue.
Don't get me wrong, you can still get the story, and most of the dialogue between the natives and others is sort of obvious by their actions and facial expressions... but, I like to know every single word that is said, and I think it's important to the film to understand how the indians feel about the incomer and the threat of the mass influx of strangers into their world.

As I say, you will get the story, it is obvious, but you can't blame the seller of this disc for you not knowing what the indians are saying.

Great film, but get English subtitles if you can't read Dutch

Outlaw [DVD]
Outlaw [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 2.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, amatuer, laughable garbage., 25 July 2007
This review is from: Outlaw [DVD] (DVD)
When this film was finished and they all sat down to see the end result of their few days work (a week max?), I can imagine a few of the money people standing up at the end and saying "we paid for that!?" "remove my name from any publicity involved with this". Sean Bean just can not act, and I was very disappointed in Danny Dyer and Bob Hoskins. There were so many huge, gaping holes in the plot, so many mistakes in continuity, the script was so dire, it made The Professionals look like high art.
Some of the situations these 'suddenly best friends' got into were so unbelievable, they made me cringe with embarrassment. In no particular order.... Bryant would have told the no mark security guard to get stuffed... and beaten him up for spying on him, not become a partner in crime to a weirdo he just met. How can they just hire a deserted sports hall at the drop of a hat... with nobody around to hear them shouting about their plans? How can they all just disappear from their daily lives to go off to the West Country without it being noticed.
Only Bryant has gun experience but three of them manage to hold off a whole tactical firearm squad for a while... whilst hiding behind trees! Dyers character seems injured but manages to outrun the police whilst carrying a big gun and not getting hit. Wouldn't the police have more support... surrounding them? There are loads more, and probably more ridiculous scenarios, but I can't be bothered. I'm so glad I only borrowed this from a mate. A 'special needs' vigilante squad versus the Keystone Cops... what a waste of 100 minutes.