Profile for BevS > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gay Sex Club Stories 1
Gay Sex Club Stories 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Dirty little stories to brighten your day...., 25 Jun. 2015
Please do not go into this series thinking it is War & Peace, it definitely isn't, hehe. Smut-tastic smut from the pen of A. Voyeur aka N.R. Walker. Dirty little ditties to brighten up your day. I need more of randy young virgin twink 'Sean' and his very willing [and able] teacher 'Dale' pretty please.....4 stars.

This Other Country (More Heat Than The Sun Book 4)
This Other Country (More Heat Than The Sun Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotionally charged read...My God, I LOVE these two!!, 24 Jun. 2015
**Goodreads review dated 23rd June 2015**

There comes a time in every readers life when they know that the characters in the story they're reading have definitely taken up a special place in their heart. That happened to me with this series after book 2, Conscious Decisions of the Heart, and my opinion has only strengthened with this instalment.

5 stars for this emotionally charged read, I've loved Ben from the start [what's not to love?? A beautiful, beautiful man with model looks, green eyes and dark hair, oozing sex appeal and who knows how to look after himself], but I did find Nik's overbearing, superior and sometimes cruel attitude hard to take at times...not in this read however; I empathised totally with his anguish, pain and heartbreak as Ben lost his memory as a result of a shock, and the love of Nik's life failed to recognise or acknowledge him after 8 years together and everything they had done, been through and meant to each other. I was as heartbroken as Nik at Ben's lack of understanding of his 'switch' from girls to guys, and why it happened...and do not even get me started on what that sly and jealous bitch Kate did!! **It would seem that I tend to hold grudges against book characters I dislike for their actions - she has just joined that list, hehe**

I have to say that the storyline of the radicalisation of disaffected and disenchanted gay men [gathered together in Burnley of all places??] was of secondary importance to me after what happened to Ben and Nik BUT the ending was delightful, it was wonderful catching up with Ulyana and Emilia for Christmas...a real family Christmas with snow, trees and tinsel [and how sad was it that the only photo Nik had of Ben after 8 years of being together was one that Emilia thought to get framed??].

I hope both men have learned a lot about each other from this chapter in their literary lives, and am already looking forward to book 5 The Bruise-Black Sky.

The Girl Next Door (Bend or Break)
The Girl Next Door (Bend or Break)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it....bring on the next one!!, 24 Jun. 2015
**Goodreads review dated 18th June 2015**

Well, my first m/f read for 3 years..and did I like it?? I frickin' LOVED it, many thanks Amy Jo!! 5 stars from me.

Cash, the trust fund baby with the heart of gold, moves to Chicago from Boston after finishing Uni, to take a job with an non-profit organisation teaching kids sports in a very run-down part of the city. Mum and Dad don't approve, and so he leaves the swanky apartment they've bought him, and moves into a studio where there's just about enough room to swing a cat. He's left all of his friends behind too; although, when he really thinks about it, he only has 3 serious friends...Reese, Tom and Stephy (all feature in book 1 of this Bend or Break series). They don't want him for his money unlike the other hangers on, but love him for who and what he is - a goof-ball, with time for other people and no prejudices whatsoever. Reese and Tom are a couple, and Stephy, who swings both ways, had had occasional hookups with Cash but she broke his heart when she met up and moved in with Amira. Cash loved her, I was sure of it.

Cash's 17 year old cousin Denny appears on his doorstep one day, having flown to Chicago from Boston to ask Cash's advice cos he's gay, and his stupid parents won't take him seriously, they think he's going 'through a phase'....yeah, right. Denny's family haven't stopped talking yet about a Christmas two years ago when Cash's friends Reese and Tom turned up for the holiday...fancy inviting gays to your house for Christmas!! Denny knows that Cash won't have a problem with him being gay, and after Cash gets over the shock of Denny being on his doorstep, starts to bring the teenager into his circle of friends. He introduces him to some of the kids on his sports programme, and Denny finds himself very interested indeed in Rafi, one of the other coaches, and I now know that Denny and Rafi will feature in the next book in the series, Level Hands, in August hopefully.

However, I digress....Stephany, ah Stephany...who has daddy issues. Still trying to get her father's approval after he's moved on from her mum and started another family. He makes excuse after excuse as to why he doesn't turn up to see her, and everyone but Steph can see it's because he couldn't really care less, and doesn't approve of her lifestyle, but Cash does his best to soften the blows her father keeps hitting Steph's heart with. Cash knows that Steph is the one he wants, bi-sexual or not, and doesn't put any pressure on her, hoping that she will eventually come around to his way of thinking.

I'll leave my review here. I can't imagine I'll be reading another m/f for a while, but I have to say, I didn't skip the sex scenes, they were hot and tasteful...and pretty kinky on occasion, hehe. Varun, one of Cash's workmates appears in a threesome that takes place, and he too will have his own story later in the series. An all-round winner IMHO.

Make Me Soar (Collars & Cuffs Book 6)
Make Me Soar (Collars & Cuffs Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Book 6 of 8, and another goodie....., 22 Jun. 2015
**Goodreads review dated 12th June 2015**

4.5 rounded up to 5 stars from me, what a wonderful addition to this series...

I've had problems with Dorian Forrester since the first book in the series, An Unlocked Heart, which featured my favourite couple of the series, Leo and Alex. He tried to break them up, the little s**t, and nothing he did in subsequent books endeared him to me any more or made me like him...at all basically (no, I don't hold grudges, WHATEVER gave you that idea??), but he had a scene with Master Andrew in A Dance with Domination (gah!! THAT cover, swoons!!) which seemed to change (and not before time) the way he viewed things AND the people at Collars and Cuffs. He wanted what everyone else seemed to have at Collars & Cuffs, a loving relationship.

To try and gain a different perspective, he trudged off to a notorious club in Berlin...and almost immediately, wished he hadn't. He was taken from the club to a sadist's home where there was a private party, and subjected to the most horrendous abuse by a gang of German guys (and I use that word loosely, guys obviously not German), and because Dorian knew no German...and I did (I was cringing..), he was unaware that they were calling him a 'plaything' and 'fresh meat', and what they did to him...well, it beggars belief that a person could do that to another human being, but of course we all know what goes on in the world....

In flew Master Leo and Master Alan to the rescue, and this is where I'll leave my review. Yes, I did use tissues KC. Yes, I can sort of understand why Dorian was like he was, thanks to his cold and unfeeling parents who threw money and possessions at him instead of love, and the tactile issue doesn't apply in our house thank goodness, cos I've always hugged my son until he's squeaking, and yes, he definitely knows he's loved.

Many thanks once again KC for the ARC (big smooch!!).

Balls Up (Blowing It Book 2)
Balls Up (Blowing It Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Owen and Magnus...part two, 18 Jun. 2015
Goodreads review dated 17/6/15

The continuing saga of Owen Barnes, YA author and his boyfriend Magnus, a building surveyor. Well, I ran the whole gamut of emotions reading this one, and unfortunately relived some intensely personal moments for me; luckily I wasn't quite so far down that long and painful road as Owen was but what I went through was bad enough. Yes, everyone, I'm talking about fighting and surviving the C-word. 5 stars for Kate's brilliant writing and Fen's superb 'dotting the i's and crossing the t's' mad editing skills.

There was laughter, there were tears, there was lots of 'For God's Sake Owen!! Get to the doctors immediately' but the whole burden of support and going through this harrowing experience and the awful, awful waiting game with Owen fell to Magnus, and Magnus alone...cos Owen didn't want his friends/family to know [even Ryan, his bestie, to whom he tells everything...which was slightly bewildering], didn't want to be known as 'that cancer victim', which I suppose is his right but as painfully selfish as Owen was, I really felt for poor Magnus, who had to be strong for Owen, when I've no doubt he felt like he was falling to pieces with grief.

Anyone who did find out was sworn to secrecy, and eventually of course, when Magnus himself was becoming ill because of the intensity of the situation, how ill Owen was after the series of treatments, the stress he was under from work AND looking after/supporting Owen, he HAD to ask for help and turned to Ryan and Sameer without letting Owen know. I was really expecting a full blown Owen tantrum at that stage, but he was quite calm and collected and looking at just how gaunt and exhausted Magnus was, realised that he couldn't expect Magnus to do everything by himself any more.

I have to say that life changing events like that DO either make or break relationships...it definitely made my own particular relationship stronger; after all, how much more intensely personal and embarrassing can things get than having your other half clear up after you in the bathroom?? Thank God those days are in the past....

I'm leaving this review here....you can discover for yourselves whether we have a happy ending, or not. I absolutely LOVED the Halloween party Owen and Magnus went to before the chemo started, and the thought of the gang dressed as characters from The Rocky Horror Show (Yay!!) was something that cheered me up no end. I know Kate is thinking of a book 3, AND I have some idea what might be in it...bells possibly, hehe....whatever!! I ADORED the ending and can't wait for book 3 to arrive.

Trust Me (Lightning Tales Book 2)
Trust Me (Lightning Tales Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Second in the Lightning Tales series....., 15 Jun. 2015
**Goodreads review dated 12th June 2015**

The second in the series of Lightning Tales, this story features bi-sexual Connor and 'in the closet' trainee priest Ric. I celebrated the fact that Ric finally pulled up his big boy pants and stood up to his overbearing religious bitch of a mother, and I have to admit I wasn't awfully keen on Keira, Connor's drunken 'fiancee' either..she and Troy deserve each other, but Ric and Connor certainly made a steamy couple. It was great catching up with Alex and Nick, and I suspect somehow that the next story could possibly feature Trent, Connor's new confidant from Orlando.

Oh and if I may suggest...if anyone out there is like Ric's mum, just take a listen to Shinedown's Second Chance, a really beautiful song and entirely appropriate for parents who think they can live their own lives vicariously through their children, and the hurt and upset it can cause.

Many thanks to KC as usual for the ARC.

Waiting for the Flood
Waiting for the Flood

5.0 out of 5 stars Whimsical and superbly crafted....., 15 Jun. 2015
**Goodreads review dated 8th June 2015**

GOSH!! Gosh indeed....As usual Mr Hall, you leave me in a swoon (and with wobbly knees) at the elegance of your word artistry, and may I say, the insightful nature of your comments regarding Hob Nobs and Custard Creams hehe. What a beautifully crafted, heartfelt and whimsical novella of poor, lonely Edwin and his eventual realisation that he might just be capable of finding another man to make his heart come back to life. 5 Golden Spires Stars from me.

QUOTES...we must have quotes, and for such a short story, I have highlighted a shedload.....

"We were going to end up as newspaper headlines: Pensioner and Homosexual Found Dead in River - Coincidence, Tragedy or Satanic Ritual gone wrong?"

I knew how to make someone feel cherished and seen and listened to - everything I had myself always so desperately wanted and been afraid I might never have because I was so used to being overlooked.

I was astonished at this vision of myself: a fey creature of unabashed passions and sated appetites. How could I not have loved the man who saw me so? Until he lost sight of me entirely.

The violence of loss had become an ache which had faded into something else entirely: simply an awareness of absence, not even necessarily of a person, but of a life I thought I'd had.

Glorious, just glorious....and look out for more Edwin (although only a very minor role) in For Real, Alexis' new and extremely HOT story from the Spires World.

For Real: A Spires Story
For Real: A Spires Story

5.0 out of 5 stars A shower of golden stars for this one....., 15 Jun. 2015
**Goodreads review dated 9th June 2015**

I cannot do this book justice at all with this review, I am not worthy of it's magnificence, so I'm not even going to try (besides, my quotes would have taken up nearly as many pages as the story...I highlighted nearly everything, THAT'S how good this story was). I will say I've added a 'brilliant writing' bookshelf especially for Alexis, and a few other writers such as KJ Charles, Adrienne Wilder and Damon Suede who excel at WORDSMITHERY, and make my knees go wobbly with the sheer and utter wonderfulness of it all, and I can think of no higher praise than that.

As far as adjectives are concerned for this story (I loved it and Laurie and Toby SO much, even though I read this and Waiting for the Flood in the wrong order, tut tut), well..... exquisite, splendid, dazzling, accomplished, outstanding, superb, glorious et cetera, et cetera...OMG, and let's not forget sizzling!! Mind blowing just doesn't cut it at all Alexis, many congratulations.

PHOENIX UNDONE (The Phoenix Chronicles Book 2)
PHOENIX UNDONE (The Phoenix Chronicles Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars This series....., 31 May 2015
Goodreads review dated 2/11/14

God, I love this series. 5 stars from me.

PHOENIX RISING (The Phoenix Chronicles Book 1)
PHOENIX RISING (The Phoenix Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars?? Of course it will get 5 stars....., 31 May 2015
Goodreads review dated 30/10/14

Of course it will get 5 stars!! Thank you so much CJ for letting us have some catch-up books on the guys.

Max and Horatio have already given each other rings, they just need to make it official, and their exes Carl and Seth are busy forging new relationships with Lex and Jamie respectively. My God, these guys get around hehe.

Dane and Angel, Gabe and Cole are still solid as couples as are Devlin and Abel. Savannah and Maddy however; well, Savannah is trying to work things out in her own mind given that she has HIV, and doesn't want Maddy to have to bear any more burdens than he already has. Maddy is growing up fast, and at the end of this story has just punched Axel, who forced him to watch Angel being raped by Wade and Byrd, although to his credit he did help them escape. As the story says though 'does one good deed cancel out all the bad things he did??'...Clint certainly hopes so.

Hope we get to find out what became of Samuel and Caleb in the next story Phoenix Undone. 5 Fiery Golden Stars from me. Woot!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20