Profile for BevS > Reviews

Good Enough
Good Enough
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Kade, you amaze me...., 4 July 2014
This review is from: Good Enough (Kindle Edition)
Another lovely story from Kade. A story of second chances, of Noah and Payton, of finding it within yourself to trust what your ex now tells you albeit several years later, although he maybe hasn't given you cause to believe him in the past, and to discover that perhaps the breakup wasn't all down to him after all. To accept what best friends tell you even though you may not like what they have to say and finally to listen to what your heart is telling you. 5 stars.

35% of the proceeds from Kade's stories for the next 6 months go to the Wounded Warrior project. Kade, you're ALL heart and we love you for it!!

The Art Of The Heart
The Art Of The Heart
Price: 1.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Another exquisite read from Dan...., 4 July 2014
"These are for your dreams" he said, delicately pressing his mouth to each eyelid.
"This is to remember when you're awake", he cradled Zac's head between his palms.

Just delightful. Another quality read from Dan, and yet again I can only give it 5 stars. This story is a short fairy tale, which is set in Missouri in the 1960's and features 17 year old Zac Weston, an extremely lonely and innocent farm boy who has a secret....he's been in love with Rory, the eldest son on a neighbouring farm, since he was 13. Rory is completely unaware of Zac's childish infatuation, but treats Zac just as he does his own brother and sisters; however, one day he discovers that Zac draws comic book pages, and brilliantly too, and that Rory himself is the main character and hero.

Dan's prose in this lovely little short is just exquisite and evocative. The story took me back to a time when discovering you liked boys not girls must have been a really scary and frightening thing for a 13 year old AND what happens to your body when you see that certain someone....mind-blowing!! The sheer hard work that went into farming for a living in those days meant that if you were born into a farming family, that basically was all you knew....no college, no other job, just farming, so to discover that you were really good at something other than farming was pretty much a waste of a great talent...or was it?? Enjoy this one, I certainly did.

A big smooch to all concerned....you know who you are!!

The Price Of Dick
The Price Of Dick
Price: 3.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing story from Dan......, 29 May 2014
This review is from: The Price Of Dick (Kindle Edition)
**Copy of my Goodreads review dated 27th May**

Fans of Dan's work have been eagerly anticipating this novel, and the teasers he's posted during chats on Fb and on his tumblr page have only served to whet everyone's appetite even more. I can tell you now that this novel does not disappoint in any way, shape or form, just as Memorizing You, my book of 2013, didn't disappoint me or the hundreds of other people that read it. FABULOUS and 5 million stars from me.

YOU CAN'T DREAM IN THE LIGHT, IF YOU CAN'T LIVE IN IT...so GET OUT of that closet!!

Is it autobiographical?? Well, I suppose some of it could be....but we're never going to find out which parts...and what's it got to do with us anyhoo, so we should all stop speculating (guilty as charged) and just enjoy the story. There are things going on in RL that Dan is definitely not happy about, but all we can do is give him our love and support in the hope that the end result will be similar to this novel.

I'll start by saying that this is a classic good versus extremely evil scenario but obviously with a gay twist. Some of the lines made me laugh out loud (orthopaedic sneakers on cloven hooves for example), I uttered lots of rude words - which is completely unlike me, honest...and all in one person and his mother's direction, and there was fist pumping AND happy dancing at the end....so what does that tell you??

JJ, a successful photographer of `romance' covers, albeit mainly m/f romance, has decided to carve himself a piece of a new, burgeoning and lucrative market, snapping pics of delicious eye candy as covers for the wonderful world of m/m literature...obviously for gentlemen of a certain persuasion and we women who like to drool over said eye candy whilst trying (and failing miserably) to concentrate on what's between the covers of the book for a change. He feels he can make a difference as to how gay people are perceived, and encourage more to come forward out of their closets and `into the light', so quite the pioneer!!

As far as his personal life is concerned, JJ has broken up with his long-term partner and now has a couple of `friends with benefits', and is reasonably happy with his lot, but hey, he's single and not dead so when temptation in the form of Richard Fitch (henceforth known as Big Dick, and no, that's not a compliment!!) visits the gym where JJ works out, he is completely blindsided by lust and a desperate urge to get into Dick's pants...drawn to Dick like the proverbial spider to the fly. Now come on, hands up here readers...how many of us can say that we haven't been in that same situation ourselves at some point in our lives??

From the start of JJ's pursuit of Big Dick, there were things that didn't sit well with me...Dick's reluctance, indeed refusal to accept he was gay and the fact that he was extremely vocal and adamant about it, his insistence that his Mommy (Dearest) and the Catholic Church knew best, and his creepy little frat buddies. Unfortunately, as we discover, JJ was thinking with his `little head' and not the one with his brain in, otherwise he would never have gotten mixed up with that manipulative, cold, calculating, controlling, egotistical, narcissistic lying weasel and run a million miles!! Dick's only interest was self-interest - everything was about him, for him...and his efforts to stay in that closet, keeping Mommy, work colleagues and everyone else in the dark, BUT dragging JJ in there with him.

As this 'car wreck' waiting to happen starts to get a little more serious, or so JJ thinks as they're supposedly partners, Big Dick mentions that as he's in finance, he'll take care of the money coming in and leave JJ to concentrate on his models, his shoots and everything else involved in running a business from home. Major alarm bells rang for me, and I'm sure will for other readers but I digress...Of course, the models that JJ uses are gay, so Big Dick runs his usual spiel past them, he pretends to be straight, and they have to `persuade' him to take part in whatever scenes are choreographed beforehand, and at the start, this is done with JJ's blessing and the models are none the wiser, but eventually JJ begins to realise that he's being used and is no better than a pimp.

I'm going to leave this review here. Just let me say this novel includes some kick-ass models (in one instance quite literally!!), a trainer whom I would have loved to take home to meet my mother (I heart you)...except for the fact that he's out and proud, I loved him to bits AND the type of old bag who should have been thrown out with the garbage many years ago!!

So worth the wait Dan, and thanks to everyone involved. You know who you are!!

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Given everything Chris has gone through lately......, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Loved the Sky programme of this album being made and the live gig, had me in tears...very emotional. This is sooo different to anything else, but Ghost Stories is amazing. If this is what was needed for Chris to get his angst and pain out, then good on ya the rest of the band!!

As a band they EVOLVE all the time, with every album....and yes, I've seen them live AND have all the albums so for goodness sake people, please give this one a chance and a few listens before you throw it away!!

A Dance with Domination (Collars & Cuffs Book 4)
A Dance with Domination (Collars & Cuffs Book 4)
Price: 4.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner KC....., 24 May 2014
Copy of my Goodreads review dated 20th May...

This was so much better than 'Someone to Keep Me' IMHO, AND quite different in so far as all the characters in this one were experienced in the lifestyle, and although it took quite a while for me to connect with the characters, the writing, KC's trademark British humour and descriptive scenes more than made up for the slowish start.

The seduction scene with Gareth and Andrew was smokin', as was their 'scene' at Collars & Cuffs, and all the detail that KC included about different clubs, different BDSM 'instruments of pleasure/torture', the stripping and pole dancing at Bliss (thank you Clive)...Oh yes, and a lady Domme (my God, forcing this kindle to put new words into its dictionary is hilarious) made for a really entertaining read. Loved that my fave guys Leo & Alex, Thomas & Peter, Pietro & Miles were all really 'hands on' (hehe) in this one, and I for one would definitely like to see more of Madison & Ryder...shower cubicle optional!!

Many thanks KC for the ARC, smooch!!

Moving Earth (Earthquake #2) (Pulp Friction 2014)
Moving Earth (Earthquake #2) (Pulp Friction 2014)
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 14 May 2014
Well, I wanted to kick some Amos butt in the last story, so I'm pleased for his sake that he's come down off his pedestal and joined us mere mortals on Planet Earth. I knew that there must have been problems in his past for him to be as aloof and uncaring as he was, but he's fallen hard for Charlie...yay!! Our little Damon is growing up, and so brave to try and bring Manny and his gang down....but the ending, grrr!! These cliffhangers will be the death of me. 4.5 stars

Controlled Burn (Fighting Fire Book 2)
Controlled Burn (Fighting Fire Book 2)
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!, 14 May 2014
Another Fab-u-lous instalment from this year's PF series. I so want Scott and Robby to get together again, but with 12 years and a lot of water under the bridge since they knew each other in college, it's a little unrealistic of Scott to imagine everything can be as it was between himself and Robby. With Robby's parents being the stupid, bigoted, religious cranks that they were (and still are!!), things were never going to go smoothly, and add into the mix the fact that in the intervening years, Robby has both been married and become a father (and Scott STILL doesn't know)....well, a lot of explanation and understanding on both sides is required methinks. 5 stars, loved it!!

Firestorm (Fighting Fire Book 1)
Firestorm (Fighting Fire Book 1)
Price: 1.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay!! PF 2014!!, 14 May 2014
Pulp Friction 2014, woohoo!! Now set in Flagstaff, Arizona but the format is the same as last year. Tom Webb, Laura Harner, Lee Brazil and Havan Fellows are writing 5 rounds of 4 books, the first of which is this one, Firestorm.

Firefighter Scott McGregor is injured in a fire and ends up in a burns unit with his career as a firefighter over. Thanks to an old contact card in Scott's pocket, former college lover Robby Hammond is contacted and immediately rides to the rescue even though it was 10 years ago that he and Scott were lovers. He visits Scott at the burns unit, and after 6 months of treatment, hospitals and rehab, Scott buys the Mountain Shadows Campground in Flagstaff from the owners who wish to sell and have a very good reason for doing so...their son Danny was very badly injured in the same fire that destroyed Scott's career. Robby of course knows nothing of Scott's life now and vice versa, but Robby drives Scott to the campground in deep snow, and stays around long enough to know that yes, Scott is still the one for him even after all this time. Scott can't really manage to do a lot because of the injury to his leg but he tries, he tries very hard to do everything himself, but Robby ends up having to look after Scott and deal with all the numerous jobs that need doing. One night they hear a woman screaming, and I'll leave this one here....PF fans rejoice, a new series has begun!!

Love Lessons Learned
Love Lessons Learned
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a new series from KC...., 23 April 2014
**Goodreads review dated 20/4/14**

4.5 stars from me. What I loved most about this one is that it's the start of a brand new series from one of my auto-buy authors...Yay!!

I really liked John and Brett together, although I didn't have a lot of time for Brett when he kept leading John on and then shutting him down, I was not best pleased I have to admit. I liked catching up with Evan and Daniel, oh and Josh/Chris, and KC was very mean and told us nothing at all about Sean & Michael so we S & M fans are none the wiser about Sean's headaches, but I fear the worst as usual....

I loved the new housemates Alec, Martin and Stu...I'm sure Alec has feelings for Stu, the kids were great and I really hope that Wayne's dad gets treated sympathetically...yes I know what he did was very wrong, but desperate times etc.

Only one downside for me....a slightly jealous and petty someone in the book had the same name as mine. It must be pure coincidence hehe.

Many thanks and a big smooch as ever to K.C. for the ARC

The Perfect Place
The Perfect Place
Price: 3.06

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete surprise....., 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Perfect Place (Kindle Edition)
**Goodreads review dated 22/4/14**

WTH!! I was speechless at the end of this new one from Kol. 5 stars from me.

This is completely different to anything else Kol has done, and starts when Liam (Lee) returns home for his father's funeral. The story is divided into distinct sections and is sometimes in flashback...childhood, intermediate years and present day. I'm not going into great detail here but I will say that it seems to be part love story (honestly!!) featuring Lee and Jackson (Jax), friends when they were youngsters, their families polar opposites of each other...Lee's family nurturing and caring, Jax's father an drunken, abusive swine who uses Jax as a punch bag. The boys relationship blossoms into love as they grow older, but Lee's temperament always seems to be fragile and Jax can't seem to do anything right. They're together and then they're not, other guys appear on the scene, shady characters make an appearance....or do they??

There are so many twists and turns in this one....is all as it seems?? I really never saw that ending coming at all, shocking!!

Smooches to my Dark Angel for the ARC. You keep writing babe, we'll keep reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19