Profile for BevS > Reviews

The Perfect Place
The Perfect Place
Price: 3.06

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete surprise....., 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Perfect Place (Kindle Edition)
**Goodreads review dated 22/4/14**

WTH!! I was speechless at the end of this new one from Kol. 5 stars from me.

This is completely different to anything else Kol has done, and starts when Liam (Lee) returns home for his father's funeral. The story is divided into distinct sections and is sometimes in flashback...childhood, intermediate years and present day. I'm not going into great detail here but I will say that it seems to be part love story (honestly!!) featuring Lee and Jackson (Jax), friends when they were youngsters, their families polar opposites of each other...Lee's family nurturing and caring, Jax's father an drunken, abusive swine who uses Jax as a punch bag. The boys relationship blossoms into love as they grow older, but Lee's temperament always seems to be fragile and Jax can't seem to do anything right. They're together and then they're not, other guys appear on the scene, shady characters make an appearance....or do they??

There are so many twists and turns in this one....is all as it seems?? I really never saw that ending coming at all, shocking!!

Smooches to my Dark Angel for the ARC. You keep writing babe, we'll keep reading.

The Escape (Broken Book 3)
The Escape (Broken Book 3)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Did he or didn't he???, 1 April 2014
Anger. Betrayal. Complete and Utter Contempt and I imagine I COULD get a tad violent towards one four letter word slimy piece of garbage...and that's just ME!! Imagine how Sebastian and Aaron are going to feel once they discover the truth about their mutual bed buddy....utterly devastated doesn't cover it, and yes I know they're characters in a book, but THIS is personal!! And I assume this was your idea of revenge you slimy worm, you getting your own back on Sebastian for having the temerity to sleep with a rent boy while going out with you?? A woman scorned has nothing on you does she!!

And while we're on the subject Mr Author, I certainly didn't expect you to replace Aaron with another poor soul for Vince to torture and rape - never saw that one coming at all (I can just imagine you smirking hehe), that was completely under the radar BUT what can I say?? I'm HOOKED on this series and will stay with it until Vince gets his just desserts and Mr Carson is taken down by a mob of angry rent boys and dismembered, piece by bloody piece, not that I'm violent or anything of course....Well done Kol ♥♥

Strain
Strain
Price: 4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning...., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Strain (Kindle Edition)
Quite simply, this was one of those stories where all sorts of superlatives could be thrown into the hat for the writing alone..... outstanding, superb, fantastic, exquisite, fascinating; however, add to that the highly imaginative storyline and all the descriptive words used by the author to convey the bleakness and despair of this dystopian world, and the nightmare existence its survivors have to endure and you have one of those stories that comes along once in a blue moon.

I fell in love with Rhys and Darius, and that in itself is unusual cos I don't normally go for a story where one of the MC's is 25 years older than the other BUT as anyone who reads this will discover, this is no run-of-the-mill story, and there are extenuating circumstances and very valid reasons why Darius has been 'paired' with Rhys, although at the start Rhys is completely against what must happen to him in order for him to survive. I loved nearly all of the characters although one or two that may have met an untimely end will certainly not be missed in this house, and I must mention in particular Xolani, Titus, Toby and Joe who were my faves.

Amelia C. Gormley, I salute you and your characters and am desperately hoping for a sequel to this amazing story. Are 50 stars too many??

Someday It Will Be
Someday It Will Be
Price: 1.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Just superb, a wonderful story., 27 Feb 2014
Well, what can I say about this little gem other than it's flawless?? 5 glittering golden stars from me.

It has Sam's trademark beautifully crafted writing, it's so elegant and emotional, it's a feelgood story...eventually, honest!! It's a what-if story, a do-over story, a second chances story, it's a grab-a-box of tissues and keep them handy story...it was delightful, and tells the story of Poe and Isaac, and the love that never dies. Please read it.

Un-Expected (Left at the Crossroads)
Un-Expected (Left at the Crossroads)
Price: 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, snarky and sweet....., 27 Feb 2014
Absolutely loved this one Lisa, this is what village life in the UK should be like but invariably isn't. Lots of glittery stars from me.

Micah and Harry, ah Micah and Harry swoon!! Micah is a midwife at the local birthing centre and still lives in the village of Lower Mowbury in the Cotswolds. He had a 3 year affair with Harry at Uni and was expecting it to be forever - Harry's the love of his life, but on graduation day Harry drops the bomb...'I've only been using you blah, blah, blah' and walks out of Micah's life. Devastated, confused and hurting, Micah returns home to his mum Jenny and the village he left behind and eventually things settle down and he resigns himself to what's happened. The friends that he grew up with support him (Sarah, I 'heart' you, snark personified!!) and we pick the story up 6 years later.

Sarah's in the birthing centre producing little Algernon (poor little so-and-so) with some fairly ripe language and choice phrases coming from her mouth, and Micah who has already over-run his shift to stay with his best friend while she's giving birth, feels he can go home and get a rest. Unfortunately, his mum is in his kitchen putting the finishing touches to some food she wants to take across to the new neighbours and Micah is under orders to go with her...they introduce themselves to Selena (who happens to be pregnant herself) and a very familiar voice croaks 'Micah??'. Yes, you've guessed it, the new neighbour is Harry!! Rather than faint on the spot or start throwing punches, Micah leaves the house immediately and is followed by Harry who wants to explain everything. After a lot of explaining...none of which I'm going into now, they are reconciled and of course Harry stops the night....

This story was funny, sweet, full of nosy neighbours and friends and interfering mothers BUT there were darker elements to it and a complete controlling s*** of a father!! Oh yes, I'm looking forward to book 2 of the series.

Last First Kiss
Last First Kiss
Price: 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back Diane, we've missed you...., 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Last First Kiss (Kindle Edition)
**Goodreads review dated 4th Februiary 2014**

This book was just a sheer delight. 5 stars from me

Shortie review. Trent is looking for love but knows that living and working in Bible Belt country down South, is not the preferred option for a gay man. He works as a practice manager for a medical practice and they're perfectly OK with his preferences..indeed, one of the doctors (Jax) is also gay. He starts driving into work a different way and more often than not sees a guy with startling blue eyes walking along the road, obviously on his way to work. One morning, the rain is pouring down and Trent gives Blue-Eyed Guy (Gage) a lift, and things progress from there. Gage, well my heart bled for him...father at 14, married at 16 and well, I'll leave you to discover the rest. Tissues would be a handy thing to have closeby. Can't wait for book 2, which I'm hoping will give us more of Trent and Gage (and Nash, loved Nash!!), and more info on the mysterious Dr Jax!!

Taboo For You (Friends to Lovers Book 1)
Taboo For You (Friends to Lovers Book 1)
Price: 1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Anyta Sunday special......, 18 Feb 2014
**Godreads review dated August 4, 2013**

This was a really cute story, the sort that leaves you feeling all warm and happy inside. 5 stars from me!!

Sam is a father, he became a dad when he was 15, and ever since has shied away from relationships. His son Jeremy divides his time between mum Carole and dad, everyone gets on really well, and it would seem that Sam's best relationship is with his best friend Luke, who's a teacher and is always ready, willing and able to help Sam and Jeremy out, as a good friend should. Luke of course is gay and has been in love with Sam it feels like forever, but the only person who can't seem to see that obvious little fact is Sam, in fact Luke went away for 6 months to try and get over Sam...but failed. As Sam's 30th birthday is looming, he jots down a list of Must-Do things he wants to do before his 20's finish, and there are some really weird things on the list like swimming with sharks...God forbid!!

Luke finds the list, decides that he will help Sam realise some of his dreams, and carry on being a really good friend. What Luke doesn't realise is that Jeremy and Carole are only too aware that he's in love with Sam, and they do their best to help him. Jeremy meanwhile at 14 nearly 15 is having hormonal problems of his own, and to try and throw mum and dad off the scent and his secret 'meetings' with Suzy, pretends he is gay...with the help of his best friend Steven.

I'll leave this story there, it's a really lovely one, an ah bless one, and as to whether I get my Happy Ever After, you'll have to find that out for yourselves. Many thanks Anyta. x

An Immoveable Solitude
An Immoveable Solitude
Price: 2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book...., 18 Feb 2014
**Goodreads review dated March 31, 2013**

**The cover shown here is the newly published edition by Totally Bound, one of my fave publishers. My shortie review is for the Silver Publishing edition.**

This book is about sharks, two men Erik and Kerry, who seem to have a beautiful and loving relationship, until one fateful night when it implodes with horrific results, Kerry's bossy and frosty sister Kelle, and the secrets that people mistakenly keep to themselves....what's the saying 'A trouble shared is a trouble halved'....Kerry you should have known better!!

This book is moving, amazing and beautifully crafted, BUT I also have to say that although Kerry was hot in the extreme, he was also very immature and selfish. I was not particularly drawn to his character, in fact he could have done with a good spanking for what he needlessly put Erik through....nope, not impressed with him at all!

Every Move He Makes
Every Move He Makes
Price: 2.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Barbara...., 18 Feb 2014
**Goodreads review dated May 2013**

Well, a big thumbs up and 4.5 stars from me. Loved it!!

How refreshing to find a humourous, sexy spy thriller from a British author with two hot lead characters, several you'd like to murder yourself (including both of the MC's at times), and a really decent plot. As far as I know, Ms Elsborg hasn't written that many m/m books, 'Cowboys Down' was my first foray into the m/m genre....and I haven't looked back since!!

Logan and Zak both needed their heads knocked together, or their backsides kicked....take your pick, at various stages of the book, and both had reasons for being as they were. I have to say Zak was not my favourite person at the start, snarky, selfish, whiny, lots of drink and drugs (although he felt in his mind that his reasons were valid), and it appeared that someone wanted to kill him, BUT because of the drink and drugs, no-one believed him....he did grow on me I have to say. Enter Logan, or should I say Josh with his film star looks (and there's a huge story there which I'm not going into here), who with the help of his employers MI6, is appointed as Zak's minder/bodyguard....oh, did I mention that Zak is Russian, an ex pop star over there, and someone together with his father, of significant interest to the Russian mafia....who as everyone knows, have made London their second home!!

There are several threads to the plot-line, and they were skilfully interwoven by the author including a rogue agent (No Adam Carter from Spooks in this story), treacherous friends, distant family, smarmy bosses etc.,

All in all, I was very impressed with this book, and would love there to be a follow-up. I'll also stay on the lookout for any more m/m that Barbara does. Many thanks Madame Author.

With or Without Him
With or Without Him
Price: 2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilson, I love you...., 18 Feb 2014
**Goodreads review dated 4/12/13**

4.5 stars and a huge from me. Absolutely loved it.

Tyler wants to finish his music college degree and become a huge star with his band....preferably both. He plays piano and guitar, he has no family (and that's a horrific story in itself), and is surviving by hiring himself out as a rent boy in order to pay his music college fees. The guy who organises the sex parties is a slimy git but the 'men' who attend these parties are even worse, in particular a guy known as Gerald. As Tyler is being abused one night, a guy rescues him by setting off the fire alarm and Haris the saviour appears.

Haris is a self-made multi millionaire venture capitalist (boo, hiss!!) who lives in a very posh house in Holland Park in London and is looked after very well indeed by Wilson, his aging valet who seems to complain an awful lot about his work in a very sarcastic, funny and pithy way...oh, let's not forget his bad back, but Haris loves him anyway (as did I, Wilson you're magic!!). You know how these things go....Tyler is at college one day when Haris makes an appearance and things move from there. Haris has been unable to forget about the guy he rescued from that dreadful scene, and has been pretty sneaky in hiring a private detective to track Tyler down. Tyler is offered 20,000 to be at Haris' beck and call in AND out of bed for the next 4 months after which time they will part company, Tyler being a lot richer than he was. I'll leave the story here....

As far as I'm concerned, the sex between the two of them was scorching, I just wish they'd communicated more. Yes, the old communication problems rear their ugly head fairly regularly unfortunately, and in some ways, I think they do detract from the rest of the story...which is not as predictable as you would think. Quite often I was sitting there reading saying 'NOT again, just talk to each other you Morons'!! But overall, another great story from Barbara, on a par for me with Every Move He Makes which I also loved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18