Profile for BevS > Reviews

BevS (East Anglia, U.K.)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19
New York Christmas
New York Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, but not as much as 'The Christmas Throwaway'...., 20 Dec 2012
Yes, this wasn't a bad little tale, and the happy ending was to be hoped for and expected, but it didn't leave me with a feeling of 'aw bless' like the other book did. Nice, but not quite as nice as The Christmas Throwaway.

Cop Out (Toronto Tales Book 1)
Cop Out (Toronto Tales Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cop Out, a good read...., 20 Dec 2012
**Contains Spoilers**

I liked this book. Kurt was an interesting character with a huge Irish family around him, and obviously grew up knowing he was loved and had back up should he ever encounter any problems. Davy was a solitary person, forced into being that person by his relationship with Ben (Kurt's former cop partner-Ben insisting that they stay in the closet), and upon whose death, Davy went to pieces as most people do, but the difference here being that no-one knew of Davy's existence other than his sister, and very grudgingly, the cop in charge of detectives. Davy was left to flounder in his own misery, and had it not been for Kurt's insistence that he start to look after himself, would probably have died of a broken heart.

I liked the growing friendship between Kurt and Davy, and really hoped that it would become more than that. Kurt began to see Davy in a completely new light, and for someone who'd not had many relationships, and was lonely and fed up of the dating jungle, started to hunger for something more with Davy. We didn't get to see what Davy had come to expect from Kurt (and I think that was a shame), but eventually, Davy felt confident enough to start dating again, and when Kurt saw Davy kissing another man after being out at a club one night, he went ballistic and they ended up having angry sex on the floor of Davy's living room. This was the first time Kurt had ever been with a man, and he REALLY enjoyed it!! Of course, Davy thought he was just being used, and he wasn't going to be in yet another secret relationship, Kurt would never have the 'b***s' to come out to anyone, his family, his workmates, anyone - but he did! He decided there and then because he loved Davy that he was gay, and should not have to apologise for it to anyone. Once Kurt had reached this momentous decision, Davy was unfortunately unaware as he'd decided the police had hurt him enough, and he wanted to cut all ties with them, especially with Kurt, and even though Kurt texted him every week, Davy didn't reply to those texts. Kurt however told his new partner first of all (liked Simon and Jen a lot), and then came out at his own birthday party to all of his family, who were accepting of it other than his next eldest brother, who was devastated and left (and didn't bother to contact Kurt or the rest of the family for quite some time).

Of course, as luck (or maybe not) would have it, Kurt was injured again in the line of duty some months later, nearly dying in the process. Simon managed to get hold of Davy finally, he miraculously appeared at the hospital, and once Kurt 'woke up', he explained that he'd been in therapy, and the therapist had explained that none of it was Kurt's fault, and that they should try and work things out, which of course they did. They decided that they loved each other enough that Kurt would move into Davy's home and they would begin life as a couple. The twist in the tail at the end (and which I have to say I DID see coming) was that Kurt's brother appeared, announced that he'd stayed away because HE was gay, and he was now ready to live life out of the closet.

All in all, some parts of the book were quite predictable, but I didn't feel that that detracted from the story. The next book in the series is called 'Cover Up' which you will have to type into the search bar on Amazon because this title doesn't appear on K C Burn's author page for some weird reason (but it does appear under KC Burns!).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2012 10:43 AM GMT

Just Like Florence Nightingale (Tigers and Devils)
Just Like Florence Nightingale (Tigers and Devils)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Short but Sweet...., 19 Dec 2012
Another trip to the Land Down Under to meet the guys and their friends Fran & Roger. Wonderful little snippet which I presume was originally cut from 'T & D'. Chicken Noodle soup rocks!

The Christmas Throwaway
The Christmas Throwaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Christmas story to read again and again...., 19 Dec 2012
I'm a sucker for a happy ending as I've said before, and this was such a lovely book, it pulled you in and made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside once you'd read it. Just the sort of book to read whilst sitting quietly by the fire, with a glass of wine, a few choccies and a big box of tissues to hand! Original, probably not, but a 'feel-good' book? Oh definitely!

Love Turns the Page (An Avondale Story Book 7)
Love Turns the Page (An Avondale Story Book 7)

3.0 out of 5 stars No emotion in this story so far, very clinical...., 19 Dec 2012
Read about 6 chapters (or maybe more) and decided that I couldn't accept the fact that although the MC's were sleeping together, and supposedly 'loved' each other, there wasn't one mention of the 'L' word whenever they had sex ('cos that's what it was, not love-making), and as Tom was such a cold, unfeeling character (in my eyes anyway), I couldn't see how he would ever say those 3 little words to Noah and honestly mean them. Noah did at least appear to be more 'human', and not so robotic as Tom. Sorry Etienne, this is a miss in my opinion.

Goodreads
Goodreads

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those of us that do a lot of reading..., 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Goodreads (App)
I find Goodreads very useful for actually checking out books that I want to read/buy, as I'm not always sure I can fully trust what appears on Amazon sometimes. I find Goodreads objective and impartial, and full of info, and authors do actually appear on the website sometimes, and do reviews of other authors' works. You can join readers groups based on your preferences, give ratings on books you've read, and get a bit of info on the authors you're following (as a fan or even a friend), as well as news of upcoming releases. Very helpful indeed.

Update. Of course this app only works if you are already a member of Goodreads, and is fairly limited, but does keep you up-to-date with what's happening on your page. Every little helps!

Turkey in the Snow
Turkey in the Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Put it in your Xmas stocking, it's delightful...., 17 Dec 2012
Yet another winner from Amy Lane, recommended by my friend Makkt. This was really sweet, and will be a keeper on the Kindle for when I need cheering up (doesn't everyone at some stage - don't forget those post-Xmas blues!). Hank is a wonderful brother for anyone to have (my two could take note!!), and even though Justin is a 'flaming queen' in his own words, he's a really loveable character who will help anyone, but of course, has been eyeing Hank up at the gym and so anything Hank asks, Justin will do. Hank needs all the help he can get with his niece Josie, and Justin loves her (and Xmas I think) in equal measure. Of course you knew how the book would end (apart from one possible fly-in-the-ointment in the form of Hank's sister), or hoped you knew how it would end, and I'm so glad it did. Full of Xmas cheer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2012 4:07 PM GMT

Antivirus Free
Antivirus Free

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazon recommendation..., 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Antivirus Free (App)
Thought that I should have some sort of anti-virus protection on my Kindle Fire HD if I'm going to download things from websites other than Amazon. Rang Amazon and spoke to a very nice chap in Cape Town South Africa who recommended this product, which is in the Apps Store on the Kindle. There was also another product called 'Avast' which looked good, but I liked the look of this one, and so will give it a go. Will update as we go with any problems.

Update. Haven't had any problems so far so it's obviously doing it's stuff. Any freebie stories in Kindle/PDF format which are downloaded from your own computer will of course have been scanned for viruses before you load them onto your Kindle, so they shouldn't be a problem. Haven't tried to download any music, so wouldn't know about that. I do have the little green robot on my phone as well to enable me to stop apps using too much battery, again very useful!

Latakia
Latakia

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it a lot, but with reservations...., 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Latakia (Kindle Edition)
Bought this book ages ago, and accidently deleted it (hey, I'm getting older and sadly the braincells are disappearing faster than I can make new ones!). Am glad I realised (yay me!!) later and purchased it again. I did enjoy this story eventually - have to say though that the slow start put me off quite a bit, and that creep of a loser boyfriend Brian really p****d me off! How could Matt not have realised that anyone who says 'you're lucky to have me' is a complete moron, not worth the space they take up and the air they breathe! Still, we've all been there and done that, it sometimes takes a long time to find your soul-mate.

I did sneak a look at Mr Smith's other book on Amazon 'Falling off the face of the Earth', and looking at some of the other reviews, I have to agree with one of the reviewers in particular who said that although there are no sex scenes in that particular book (not really any in this one either, but no probs), the language used in the conversations between different characters was crude, insulting and really nasty. I have to say that that was one aspect of THIS book that I didn't like at all - OK, Petey was a raging homophobic idiot at the start, and I could've cheerfully kicked him in the n**s myself, but to do a complete 360 turnaround, and decide Matt was the 'brother' he'd never had but now, BTW, loved like a brother, didn't ring true to me I'm afraid. One stretch of the imagination too far, IMHO. So, to sum up, yes I loved the fact that Travis was eventually able to admit to himself that he loved Matt as much as he loved being a SEAL (even though it took a near tragedy for him to do it), and he came out of the closet in front of his SEAL team, whose reaction was a little underwhelming to say the least. I was practically shouting at him to say those 3 little words a lot earlier in the book, but he came to his senses in the end. Great that Matt finally grew a pair, kicked the useless idiot to the touchline, and was able to let others see what a strong, good, kind person he was, someone who deserved to be loved for what he was and not what someone thought he should be. I really liked Matt's 2 friends Bret and Jim, steadfast and true, and absolutely adored the scene at the gay pub where Brian finally got what was coming to him - don't you just love it when the villain of the piece gets their just desserts!!

The Only Easy Day (Sanctuary Book 2)
The Only Easy Day (Sanctuary Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like this series, but would love the books to be longer in length..., 16 Dec 2012
I'm now up to book 4 of this series, and I have to say I'm pleased about that as I took a bit of a chance on them - some of the author's other work hasn't appealed to me (other than 'A Better Man' which was superb). I like the fact that characters from previous books appear throughout, and that we still don't have much of a clue who the 'baddie' is at Alphabet City (the FBI, love the fact that FBI and CIA are called 'alphabets'). All in all, not a bad series at all (although 'Cut & Run' by Abi Roux still remains my favourite), and any more books that the author wishes to collaborate on with Jaime Reese will be given very serious consideration by me.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19