Profile for J. R. Richardson > Reviews

B4 Seventy-Four - The Folkclub Tapes
B4 Seventy-Four - The Folkclub Tapes
Price: 14.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid-gold singing at a bargain price., 9 Oct 2013
These two CD's capture Barbara Dickson's honest charm and excellent ability very well indeed. I have listened to them straight-through and have found myself relaxing and being uplifted by her powerful, perfect, voice. Her skills and ability are so well-founded, they shine-through and need no enhancement.
Barbara is the real thing. She is a real performer. Her voice warms my soul throughout. These performances are simply incomparable!

No Parachute: A Classic Account of War in the Air in WWI
No Parachute: A Classic Account of War in the Air in WWI
by Arthur Gould Lee
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the real James Bigglesworth, 21 Sep 2013
To those who, like me, have always believed that Capt ('Biggles') Bigglesworth's ability to crash his aeroplane amongst the Front-Line trenches and survive was unbelieveable; here is the story of the man who did just that, and more. I do not think that there can be any doubt that many of Biggles's fictional escapades are based upon the actual life of Arthur Gould Lee.
Biggles may have sustained the fascination with primitive air warfare during the intervening period; but it is this book, No Parachute, that finally reveals that it was all true and helps to unravel some of the unanswered questions, which have been raised in all our minds.
The Author acknowledges that he eventually attained that degree of skill and instinct necessary to survive in aerial combat; but that luck remained the key factor in selecting him as a survivor. The nervous exhaustion, which is only alluded-to in Biggles's story, is soberly acknowledged here; as is the ability of one's Comrades or Commanding Officer to recognise it more clearly than one could oneself. Arthur Gould Lee was a lucky man to emerge with his MC and the rest of his life, to enjoy.

Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II
Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II
by Belton Y. Cooper
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.76

5.0 out of 5 stars A tribute to the bravery of the GI's of World War 2, 11 Sep 2013
You may, like me, have wondered long and hard at the losses born by so many people involved in World War 2 and how finely-balanced were the factors that led eventually to victory for the Allies and the freedom we know today.
Needless tragedy and loss-of-life were commonplace.
This is the story of the American Armoured Fighting Soldier throughout the campaign to invade Germany during 1944 and 1945. The losses they incurred are hard to imagine, as is their willingness to keep going when their chances of survival were poor. One cannot question their bravery; their teamwork; their unwillingness to admit defeat. The dash for each successive military objective was not made in ignorance of their chances of survival; these young men understood what lay before them and still they went forward. They demonstrated such bravery as we cannot claim to understand; and they did so for the benefit of all humanity; as our soldiers continue to do today.

The other Bentley boys
The other Bentley boys
by Elizabeth Nagle

5.0 out of 5 stars A vital piece of the story of the real Bentley Motors, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: The other Bentley boys (Hardcover)
If, like me, you are trying to form as complete an explanation as possible as to how one small British motor manufacturer (just one of very many) retains it's legendary reputation after having traded for a period of less than ten years, almost three-quarters of a century ago, then this book contains first-hand accounts, without which any understanding could never be attained.
Furthermore, I have yet to see a Bentley car in a museum. I have seen one ticking-over, unattended, outside a village shop. I have seen one that had been driven fifty miles to be displayed amongst vintage vehicles, then driven home again. I have seen one delivering Beaujolais Nouveau to a celebration. John Steed drove a Bentley. Many of us dream of driving a Bentley more dearly than we dream of driving any other car. People do not buy Bentleys to own them. They buy them to drive them. How many contemporaries of the Bentley car may be seen, perchance, on the open road?
This book contains the stories of those who worked with Bentley Motors, from the start, to the end.

Bondhus 17095 15-Piece Ball-Head Offset Screwdriver Set Extra Long
Bondhus 17095 15-Piece Ball-Head Offset Screwdriver Set Extra Long
Price: 25.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damned tough and shows no sign of slipping off, 11 Sep 2013
As one who remembers the 'Allen-Key'/Cap-headed bolts of the 1960's and the struggle we had loosening them and the damage we caused doing it; I cannot imagine how we would have dealt with some of the current automotive and external-light-fitting applications, which use cap-headed bolts, if tools such as these had not come-along in the meantime.

Yes! I do extend these wrenches using steel pipe, ring-spanners and suchlike; and, yes, they do bend into some amazing shapes; but equally amazingly, they do not snap, they do not fly-off and they do return to their original shape afterwards. Undoing bolts on modern cars can be a real test of ones fortitude and will-power; but with these tools to-hand one can proceed with the odds-in-favour-of-success considerably swung in one's favour.

What Presence!: The Rock Photography of Harry Papadopoulos
What Presence!: The Rock Photography of Harry Papadopoulos
by Harry Papadopoulos
Price: 18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars A precious, brilliant, photographic record of a time in our lives, 24 Aug 2013
I bought my own metal-bodied SLR in 1976 and set-out myself to record the world around me, here in Lakeland, just as life happened, just one-moment-at-a-time.
It took time and much practice to master contrast, fast-focussing, taking photographs in dim conditions and overdeveloping the film to compensate. For just two or three years, in the late 1970's I could capture and produce an image, onto paper, just as precisely as that image had been captured in my mind, at the moment of exposure. It is a skill that comes only with practice; and which needs practice to be kept-up. My achievement is to have created, perhaps a dozen memorable images, in thirty-seven years. Harry has many more than this, in just this one book. Of course, great photographs are not created by blundering-about with a camera; you have to know what you are looking for and have an instinctive reaction, when you see it.

Once, on a dance-floor, in London, in Spring 1979, I shoulder-barged a camera-carrying photographer and, swiftly-apologising, turned-away. Perhaps it was Harry. I would be honoured to have met him, or to meet him still.

Harry Papadopoulos has done a first-class job in bringing these images to us today. They evoke moments in our own lives. They are what photography was, and is, for so many of us; and what true photography will remain. I find these images most moving and gain a sense of gratitude that, through these images, future generations of young people will be able to begin to understand the eternal, vital, creativity of youth. Harry is part of that creativity.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac)
Offered by Esale Express
Price: 72.99

3.0 out of 5 stars How long have you got?, 19 May 2013
If you only have an hour or so to fix a few pictures before sending them off for printing or to friend, then you do not need the sophistication of this programme and you may not even get the job done. You will still be 'groping about.'
Yes, if you have used similar or earlier versions of this same programme, then you will get 'up-and-running' fairly quickly.
What amazes me about this software (and other software produced by large companies these days) is that it comes without any instructions for it's use, whatsoever. Engaging the 'help' menu simply opens a weblink to a Forums Site, where you are at liberty to trawl the pages until tea-time.
If. like me, you are struggling to get 'Red-Eye' reduction to work for you (after using it successfully for years in so-called less sophisticated programmes) then you are likely to find yourself directed to a 407-page document, which has no alphabetical, searchable, index; merely the usual list of contents.
Adobe may have produced a fine product; but they have put far too little effort into making it user-friendly. Why no instruction manual?
And, yes! I would have contacted Adobe directly, to make these comments. And, yes again! you will be a better PC-Operator than I if you can find a 'Contact Us' link, that actually puts you in touch with Adobe itself.
How many manufacturer's can sell their products without any instructions?

Make Love to Me: Her 54 Finest 1942-1953
Make Love to Me: Her 54 Finest 1942-1953
Price: 10.46

5.0 out of 5 stars A celebration of one of the all-time great singing voices, 19 May 2013
With respect to those currently alive, who can really sing (and who appear to be few-and-far-between within the main-stream music industry) this CD is a marvellous celebration of one of our all-time great singers. How can it be that one hears so few really great singers, such as Jo Stafford, on our popular radio stations these days? This lady really could sing.

Small Miracles of the Holocaust: Extraordinary Coincidences of Faith, Hope, and Survival
by Yitta Halberstam Mandelbaum
Price: 11.53

3.0 out of 5 stars An icon of Jewish culture, 19 May 2013
Given that the Holocaust was on a far more terrible scale than any other example of 'man's inhumanity to man', and that it was at least as callous and malevolent as any other such event; then, against this backdrop, this book is a series of stories of individual resilience and good fortune.
These are indeed amazing stories of personal accomplishment and good fortune set against terrible events.
However, as a non-Jew, I did not find these stories particularly uplifting; and I'm still trying to work-out why this is.....
Let me assure you, though, that when it comes to empathising with stories of human endurance and fortitude, I am normally most-easily touched.

Lamp Socket Converter B22 To E27
Lamp Socket Converter B22 To E27
Offered by Liroyal
Price: 0.63

4.0 out of 5 stars A solution to your interchangeability problems, 19 May 2013
If, like me, you bought a state-of-the-art low-energy lamp, only to find, once you'd got it home, that it had an E27 cap, then this is the adaptor for you.
The adaptor was relatively inexpensive and it's ability to withstand exposure to intense UV light, long-term, seems doubtful to myself. So, I will just have to see how long it lasts in service. If it lasts a couple of years, then I will be quite satisfied.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12