Profile for Mrs C R Chapman > Reviews

Mrs C R Chapman

Textbook Of Animal Behaviour
Textbook Of Animal Behaviour
by Mandal

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - put the purchase price towards another textbook instead., 26 Feb. 2013
I don't usually write reviews for the books I buy, but I took a punt on this book based entirely on the book's own write-up because there weren't any reviews. I am disappointed with the book and am writing the review so that others won't have the same problem.

This book is written in Indian English, I am British-English so when I read it I have to imagine one of my Indian friends reading it aloud so that I can follow the gist of what is being said. It is also written in crib-note form - it basically seems as if the author wrote down a load of "mind-triggers" of what to put in the book and these weren't expanded or corrected for the English-speaking market, but were simply reprinted.

When I first started reading it I struggled through, assuming that it was the author's own words in the introduction and that the publishers would have corrected in the rest of the book, but this is not the case. Randomly dipping-in to other chapters in the book shows that this is the style all the way through.

I have found that there's a lot of wading through loads of difficult-to-interpret prose in order to find the occasional nugget of effective information.

I have bought several other behavioural textbooks for undergraduates recently, and all of them are outstanding, especially when compared against this one. I don't want to plug any other specific textbook, I just want to save others from wasting money on this one - this one is cheaper, but if you are a native English-speaker don't buy it - it would be a false economy, put the £16-odd you would pay for this one towards one of the £30+ ones instead.

Essentials of Animal Behaviour (Studies in Biology)
Essentials of Animal Behaviour (Studies in Biology)
by Peter J. B. Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a new degree I'll be doing, 4 Feb. 2013
Arrived in good time and as described. Although it's old now for a text/reference book in a science field I'm finding the "historical" information interesting as preparation background reading for actual studies later in the year.

How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog
How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog
by Chad Orzel

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my husband by one of our dogs., 4 Feb. 2013
My husband is dipping into this book between "readers" and is finding the annecdotes amusing. The dogs are happy too!

How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog
How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog
by Chad Orzel

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my husband by one of our dogs, 4 Feb. 2013
Clever dog(!) and amused husband! My husband is dipping into this book between "readers" and is finding the annecdotes amusing.

Fashion Design Drawing Course: Principles, Practice and Techniques: The Ultimate Handbook for Aspiring Fashion Designers
by Jemi Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my niece's textile A level studies based on customer reviews - she adores it!, 4 Feb. 2013
I didn't know which book to get for her so the customer reviews were vey important - and successful...she is very happy with the book.