Profile for Niall > Reviews

Content by Niall

Niall (Manchester, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Deadpool
Deadpool

3.0 out of 5 stars Rapidly fading guilty pleasure, 14 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Deadpool (Amazon Video)
I laughed my way through this movie, thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's a guilty pleasure and a fading one. The vaunted R-rating promises much and delivers little (it's 15-rated in the UK, which says much about that), and the following morning I find myself frowning at the sheer volume of self-referential humour. Meanwhile, I can't remember the name of Morena Baccarin's character.
I kind of dislike the Deadpool character from the comics, and this was way better than that, so kudos on that. I may like the inevitable sequel more, though I suspect it'll relegate Ms Baccarin's rather kickass normal further into the role of damsel in distress.

Ghost In The Shell: The New Movie [Blu-ray]
Ghost In The Shell: The New Movie [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Maaya Sakamoto

4.0 out of 5 stars Ghost in the Shell for the Modern Era, 4 Jun. 2016
Quite fast paced, pretty much from the start and lacking the terminally slow, dialogue-heavy sections of the original movie. This is closer, in some ways, to the original manga: perhaps a little less cerebral, but still with a "net consciousness" theme to it.
The Major is as kickass as ever and the rest of the characters get their moment in the sun as the plot develops.

Tom Clancy's The Division - Gold Edition (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (Xbox One)
Tom Clancy's The Division - Gold Edition (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (Xbox One)
Offered by Bonisell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start, going downhill fast, 17 April 2016
Initially, The Division had me massively hooked. Quite an enjoyable game, challenging, but not killing.
However, it rapidly turns into a farming operation, hunting desperately for materials for crafting in an "open world" which you run through solo. You do get some cooperative activity in the coop Dark Zone area, but what you mostly get there is griefing unless you go in when there are relatively few people about... which means you play solo, or you get shot up by 12 year-old bullies. You run through an interesting plot (even if the plot holes are bigger than the city) about a rogue agent, and get told all about how bad rogue agents are, and how unthinkable it is that it could happen... And then the game has been changed a couple of times specifically to make cooperative play in the DZ less rewarding than ganking your fellow players. I have had good experiences in the DZ, people can be nice, but mostly it's been lonely or annoying.

The Division lacks the feel of a multiplayer environment, because it's one in name only. If you just love PKing, this could be the game for you. If Ubisoft don't get their act together and produce some content that actually works solo, I doubt I'll be playing it at all in a month. I've already cycled back to Destiny which actually has some enjoyable, cooperative content in a real open world environment.

My5
My5

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 4 Mar. 2016
This review is from: My5 (App)
For whatever reason, very few of 5's normal playlist is available on the Fire version of My5.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 TI GEF GTX980TI Internal Graphic Card 6144 MB
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 TI GEF GTX980TI Internal Graphic Card 6144 MB

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, easy to fit, and reasonable value for money, 3 Mar. 2016
Easy to fit, though my PC is a spacious beast, YMMV.
Excellent performance. I use it primarily as a co-processor for 3D graphics rendering and there is a noticeable jump in performance from its predecessor. Temperature control seems to be good too, even with the graphics processor going at full steam for several hours.
And it's not as hideously expensive as the TITAN cards.

Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox One)
Batman: Arkham Knight (Xbox One)
Offered by Bartholomews

2.0 out of 5 stars And the last one flops... or crashes, 6 Sept. 2015
I have enjoyed playing every one of the Arkham series, even Origins which got panned, but this one... Oh well, can't win 'em all.

The plot is convoluted and STUPID. Who is the Arkham Knight? WHO CARES! The side quests are occasionally interesting, but generally more of an irritation. The Riddler has finally attained the point of abject annoyance. After several months with this game I have not reached the end and cannot be bothered to discover whether I'm correct about the Knight (and if I am I'm going to be really disappointed). I simply don't care.

The reason for the Riddler's failure and one of the main reasons the game is a pain in the ass should have been one of the game's main selling points: the Batmobile. In a desperate effort to make this driveable (ha... ha ha... ha ha HA HA HA...) icon of the Batman comics more than just transport or a gimmick, the Batmobile has been tied into practically everything in ways which are, frankly, stupid. The Riddler is designing (increasingly moronic) race tracks for it. A lot of the side quests rely on the damn thing. Every second mission on the main arc involves the car. You could, happily, skate around the city in your tank (it's a damn tank, not a car, a tank) shooting bad guys (with rubber bullets of course) and never bothering to fight. They've done some really fantastic things with the superb, dynamic, flowing, personal combat system, but YOU DON'T USE THEM because you're always under fire from tanks. Oh, and the car's just about undriveable. It's awful. You do more property damage than all the villains combined.

I'm sorry Rockstar, but you absolutely blew this one. I was waiting some 9 months for this and the deeper I get into your badly scripted pile of dung, the more I wish I'd saved my money. I'd imagine, sometime, I'll go back and finish it, but it's bad when I cringe at the thought of picking it up again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2015 11:24 AM GMT

Justice League: Gods & Monsters
Justice League: Gods & Monsters
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars were actually rather better than the actual film, 3 Aug. 2015
I have to say that I was hoping for a little more from this. The snippets which appeared on YouTube, sort of teasers for the characters, were actually rather better than the actual film. Still, it was interesting, well thought out, and entertaining. The idea that these are 'darker' versions of the characters is a little laughable: what they mean is that these ones will kill people, but there's little about them which is really darker than the modern versions of the standard characters. Yes, even Superman.

Lost in Oz
Lost in Oz

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 27 Jun. 2015
Well animated. Some mystery and intrigue. I'm 50 and I'd watch more of them.

Wild Cards
Wild Cards

2.0 out of 5 stars Leave out the politics, please, 27 April 2015
This review is from: Wild Cards (Kindle Edition)
I put a much longer review up on Goodreads and Shelfari, so go look there, but for the highlights:

This is three stories about what you'd describe as superheroes at the end, and before that you have to wade through the sordid political history of prejudice and paranoia which really did happen in the US following WWII. The authors get to stick their own characters in in a sort of twisted author-insert style, but the idea seems to be to limit real-world historical variation as much as possible (much as Marvel and DC do), so the overall effect is vaguely unbelievable in a series of books which appears to value real-world shock and horror above glitzy, heroic, comic book reality.

I was unimpressed.

Weather Live Free - Detailed Forecasts and Conditions (Local and Worldwide)
Weather Live Free - Detailed Forecasts and Conditions (Local and Worldwide)

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 19 April 2015