Profile for The Very Civil Servant > Reviews

Content by The Very Civil...

The Very Civil Servant

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
My Kitchen Cure: How I Cooked My Way Out of Chronic Autoimmune Disease
My Kitchen Cure: How I Cooked My Way Out of Chronic Autoimmune Disease
Price: 6.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Puzzling, 20 Jan 2014
This book claims to be about cooking for autoimmune disease. However, most autoimmune protocols that I'm aware of recommend against eggs (or at least the whites), nightshades, nuts and seeds - all of which crop up in this book. It's even less suitable for an AIP paleo approach (not that it claims to be) as sugars, dairy, beans, grains, tofu and other soy products, commercial gluten-free baked goods and vegetable oils also feature heavily (in the part I read - see below). I'm really not sure who this book would be useful for. Not me!

The writing style is also highly individual and the author's refusal to fully write out 'them' and insistence on calling everything 'bangin' wear thin quickly. I couldn't bring myself to read the first part of the book, and gave up after skimming through the recipes and determining that the majority of them include foods that I exclude from my diet.

Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For Garmin Fitness Products including Forerunner, Edge and Vivofit
Price: 29.24

5.0 out of 5 stars very reliable, 30 Mar 2013
I bought this belt to use with the ant+ key from a Wahoo Fitness Wahoo Heart Rate Pack - Black as I could not get a reliable reading from the soft belt that came in the pack (which further research reveals is a problem that some people experience with the soft belts).

This Garmin monitor works with the wahoo key flawlessly and maintains a reliable reading and signal. It may not be as flexible as a soft belt but is comfortable enough. To me reliability is the main factor in a heart rate monitor and this one has it!

Wahoo Fitness Run/Gym Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone 4/4S
Wahoo Fitness Run/Gym Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone 4/4S
Price: 89.99

3.0 out of 5 stars good ant+ key, tricky belt, 30 Mar 2013
When I bought this item, the price was only slightly more than buying the Wahoo Fitness Key for iPhone on its own so I went for it as I needed an ant+ compatible belt as well.

However I had no end of trouble with the belt; yes, it's comfortable, but false spikes (up to 300% of my max heart rate) or readings of 0 were almost constant and very annoying. Further research indicates that some people have a problem with the soft type of heart rate belt (which this pack comes with) due to insufficient connectivity between the belt and the user. I am obviously one of those people! I tried using water and gel to solve this but to no avail.

I now use the ant+ key that came in this pack with a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For the Forerunner 50/405 which I have had no problems with. I don't mind this but would if I had paid the current price for the pack which is substantially more than buying the key on its own.

The ant+ key works well with wahoo's own app (as you'd expect) but also with endomondo and digifit apps. Connectivity with the belt is excellent and I have no problems maintaining the signal within a 10 foot distance of the iPhone.

If I were to purchase again I'd buy the key on its own and a separate 'old school' ant+ belt - not as comfortable, but (for me at least) more reliable.

Smile Qigong ME/CFS DVD
Smile Qigong ME/CFS DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars not graded for all abilities, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Smile Qigong ME/CFS DVD (DVD)
I had high hopes for this DVD as, when I was well, I loved tai chi and qigong.

However, I found that the DVD assumes a certain level of fitness that, if suffering very badly from M.E. I was not able to fulfil. I wound up frustrated and consigned this DVD to the shelf. I don't mind modifying exercises to suit my ability but there did not seem to be any guidance for doing so on this DVD (unlike Fiona Agomar & Sue Delf - Beat Fatigue With Yoga [DVD] [2006] which demonstrates modifications for doing the exercises lying on the floor, seated, and standing).

When your condition improves it is difficult to remember how debilitating M.E. can be at its worst and I think that may be what has happened to the maker of this DVD. I hope that when my health is a bit better I can tackle this programme more successfully.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 10:51 PM BST

Egg Clacker - The No Mess Egg Topper
Egg Clacker - The No Mess Egg Topper
Offered by MMP Living
Price: 9.65

4.0 out of 5 stars there's a knack to the clack, 20 Sep 2012
I should have paid more attention to other reviews of similar products before using this for the first time, as I was initially disappointed. Then I discovered that the egg clacker is actually working as expected and I'm a lot happier.

The clacker works by cracking the shell in a perfect ring, but it does not puncture the membrane. The photograph is therefore a bit misleading as the clacker does not actually remove the top of the egg - you have to do that yourself with a knife or teaspoon in order to cut through the membrane. You are then left with a nicely accessible dippy egg free of shell fragments and jagged edges.

Things I have learned about using this clacker:

- Do not clack a second time if it looks as though it hasn't done much. It has, and your egg might collapse in a splurgy heap of woe especially if the white is on the soft side.

- Do not clack your egg in a tightly-fitting egg cup with sharp edges, or you'll get a double clack (one at the top from the clacker and one at the bottom from the edge of the egg cup). Because the membrane is not pierced this is not as disastrous as the twice-clacked egg noted above, but it can make things tricky all the same.

- Do hold the clacker firmly to the egg whilst clacking, but not so firmly that you smash it.

- Remove the top of the egg carefully with your knife or teaspoon. The egg clacker is not magic and so your yolk has the same chance as always of splurging out and running down the side. It probably has a higher chance, actually, since the cut the clacker makes is further down the side of the egg than I would put it with my teaspoon if doing this manually and thus the yolk is more likely to be clack-line adjacent.

- Because the membrane is not punctured, you can safely clack an egg and then lay it on a plate if, for example, you only have one egg cup but are having two eggs for breakfast.

Previously I have been somewhat challenged in the skill of topping soft-boiled eggs and so tended to avoid them (despite being quite fond of them). With my clacker in hand I now approach them much more confidently and thus can enjoy them frequently.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2013 9:13 AM BST

Authentic RDX Wrist Weight Lifting Training Gym Straps Bandage Black/White
Authentic RDX Wrist Weight Lifting Training Gym Straps Bandage Black/White
Offered by B2Fitness
Price: 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for the heavy lifters, 28 May 2012
This is the second pair of these I've purchased; I liked the first pair (red/white) so well that I wanted another to use while they were in the wash.

I'm sure they are also excellent for heavy lifters, but personally I use them for kettlebell workouts, to provide wrist support and also a bit of cushioning from the kettlebell in the rack position.

The cotton fabric is just a little bit stretchy and quite breathable, so they are very comfortable to wear. The elastic loop helps get the positioning right and the velcro is long enough to allow for a snug fit no matter what size your wrists are. The quality of the materials and stitching is very good - my first pair is still going strong, and I've no doubt these will be the same.

Grass Fed Hormone Free Whey Protein Concentrate Powder 420g Unflavoured - PINK SUN Everyday Whey
Offered by PINK SUN Ltd
Price: 14.20

5.0 out of 5 stars unflavoured whey protein, 28 May 2012
I use this whey protein after my workouts and am sure it helps my muscles repair as they are less sore when I do so. I only buy Pink Sun brand because of the high quality and unadulterated nature of their products - so many other whey protein drinks/powders are full of chemicals, artificial sweeteners, and a lot of other 'stuff'. I have health issues that mean I need to stay away from chemicals etc. and so for me Pink Sun whey has been a great find.

Read the description carefully - this is *unflavoured* whey protein. It does not have a 'ropey' taste (which to me implies that it's unpleasant or has gone off) as stated by another reviewer, but it doesn't taste like rainbows and unicorns either. It tastes like you'd expect a dried milk-derived product to taste and, indeed, I blend it with a little bit of milk, some banana and a bit of natural sweetener plus cinnamon/vanilla for my post-workout drink. It's also nice mixed into Greek yoghurt with some vanilla and natural sweetener. I wouldn't take it on its own, but I don't expect to be able to.

If you want a flavoured product I highly recommend the other Pink Sun products which come in vanilla or (when available) chocolate, but I find the Everyday whey lives up to its name and works out as the most economical choice to use on a regular basis. I save the flavoured versions for times when I fancy something a bit different!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2012 10:45 PM BST

Authentic RDX Wrist Weight Lifting Training Gym Straps Bandage
Authentic RDX Wrist Weight Lifting Training Gym Straps Bandage
Offered by B2Fitness
Price: 5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars super, even for lighter use, 12 Mar 2012
I bought these as I was starting kettlebell workouts to increase my muscle strength. I've always had weak wrists and was getting pains in my hand, wrist and forearm when I first started, despite paying special attention to form and keeping my wrists in a strong position. I didn't need a full glove or something completely unbending, and wanted something more natural and breathable than neoprene and so chose these.

I love them. The cotton material is comfortable and breathable, the thumb loops help positioning and they provide the right amount of firm support for me - no more pain! I have quite small wrists but the velcro is long enough to provide plenty of scope to fit different sizes and I am able to wrap them snugly. The fabric is just a little bit stretchy so you can wrap fairly firmly without it cutting into you. It also provides a nice bumper on the wrist for the kettlebell to land on. The quality seems good so far; the velcro and thumb loop are firmly attached and the cotton and stitching are both quite sturdy.

I'm sure they are also great for heavier lifters, but don't hesitate to buy them if you're a lightweight (like me!) either!

Maxitone Shaker 500ml
Maxitone Shaker 500ml

3.0 out of 5 stars works, but fiddly, 12 Mar 2012
I almost wrote this shaker off after using it for the first time; the grid flopped around inside the cup and didn't mix the drink properly, and the seal leaked a bit.

I have finally gotten it to work, but there's a bit of a knack to it:

1. Realising that the grid is supposed to attach to the lid (using the long spike on the grid and the tiny hole inside the dome of the lid) and not to the cup was my first big breakthrough. This keeps the grid in place so it can mix everything.

2. Then I twigged that the spike on the grid is slightly wonky, so I have to make sure the grid is centred in the lid before attempting to screw the lid to the cup. This keeps the grid from dislodging when you put the lid on.

3. Finally, I worked out that I have to put the lid straight down onto the cup (again, so as not to knock the grid against the rim of the cup and dislodge it) and then screw it shut gently but firmly. Over-tightening can either dislodge the grid or (bizarrely) result in leaks.

This procedure results in a well-mixed shake and no leaks (for me, at least - I appreciate that others have not been so lucky). But it is a faff and not something I have to mess around with when using other shakers that were just as reasonably priced.

Second Nature Pop Up Greeting Card for You on Valentine's Day
Second Nature Pop Up Greeting Card for You on Valentine's Day

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive, 12 Mar 2012
I didn't know what to expect from this card but was quite impressed (and so was the recipient). The card is high quality and the pop-up function worked well. It's not enormous but I didn't want it to be - it's small enough to fit onto a mantlepiece but large enough to look nice set on a side table. Definitely added a sense of occasion instead of being 'just another card'!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3