Profile for White_wolf_girl1988 > Reviews

How I Met Your Mother - Season 7 [DVD]
How I Met Your Mother - Season 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Radnor

4.0 out of 5 stars No Zoey= Major improvement on season 6, 8 April 2012
I love How I Met Your Mother, but I really felt that season 6 lost it's way a little, mainly due to the somewhat pointless introduction of Zoey, who was (thankfully) never going to be the Mother.
Season 7 (so far) is an improvement, with some great episodes I could happily watch over and over again. In this season, we are finally introduced to the Slutty Pumpkin (Katie Holmes), who proves that sometimes we can build something up in our mind to be so amazing and perfect that the reality cannot possibly compare (no pressure writers, but the reveal of the Mother had better be mind-blowing :P ). Even though the relationship between Ted and the Slutty Pumpkin goes no-where, it does allow him to let go of a fantasy- an idealised girl, who in the end, is simply not right for him. Feel free to make comparisons with Robin if you wish, depending on how you feel about her connection with Ted. I for one prefer her with Barney. They have so much more in common, and I do not feel that Robin would ever want the same things from life as Ted does. Perhaps it is just as well that she was ruled out from the very beginning, but I know some fans still seem to want them to end up together.
What I love most about this show is the way in which the writers blend together a beautiful mix of comedy and drama. Every actor on the show (main cast) is incredibly talented. Comedic timing is so important to a show like this, and each actor pulls it off so well. I love how the show can go from a somewhat ludicrous, but hilarious scene, to something moving and tragic. Season 6 achieved this with the news of the death of Marshall's father (I still can't watch that scene without shedding a tear), and season 7 does the same in episode 12. 'Symphony of Illumination' is, in my opinion, an incredible episode, and highlights what every HIMYM fan already knows- this show is not just a comedy, there is so much more to it. No spoilers, but in the episode Robin receives some news, and finds herself re-assessing everything she ever thought she wanted. It is a powerful episode, and definitely one of my favourites.
I would have given this season 5 stars based on the episodes so far, but one thing ruined it for me. In season 6, we were led to believe that Nora could be the one for Barney, yet in season 7, Nora is gone (no spoilers on why), and there is a new 'perfect' match for Barney, in the shape of Quinn (Becki Newton). Becki Newton is a wonderful actress, but the introduction of Quinn just feels like another obstacle between Barney and Robin. I know that those who are not a fan of them together will disagree, but that is just my opinion. I believed that Barney really had feelings for Nora, but suddenly he feels the same about the next girl too. I know that characters grow and mature, but part of Barney's 'charm' and what made him an interesting character was his inability to commit. Robin felt like the exception- the one girl who he thought was worth the drama, and the potential heartbreak, but now it feels like Barney could get serious with just about anyone.
The Barney issue aside, I have loved this season so far, and am looking forward to seeing how it ends. Highly recommended!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2012 8:12 PM BST

Supernatural - Season 7 Complete (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Supernatural - Season 7 Complete (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Jared Padalecki
Offered by Sent2u

4.0 out of 5 stars Step up from Season 6, 8 April 2012
Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE Supernatural fan, but for me season 6 was a bit, well, blah. There was something missing, and I definitely was not happy with the way the season ended. Season 7 has not ended yet, but here are my thoughts so far:
*Castiel is one of my favourite characters, but events in season 6 turned him into a completely different character. In season 7, he finds a way to redeem himself (episode 17), and I found that episode in particular extremely powerful. He takes upon himself a burden that was not meant for him in order to save a friend, and no matter how sad the situation, it feels like he is Cas once more, rather than the power-hungry, God- wannabe that needed to be destroyed.
*This season's 'big bad'- The Leviathans. Not really sure what to make of them if I'm honest. They're creepy enough, and the only way to really kill them is pretty disgusting, but at the same time, they just don't feel like a bigger threat than Lucifer. Considering they are supposedly the ultimate threat, Lucifer seemed more urgent, more menacing. Maybe it's just me, but so far I've found them a little disappointing (maybe they will prove me wrong in the last few episodes).
*The brotherly bond is intact. Dean is still hilarious, and Sam is still, well... tortured. Poor Sammy- the writers really do like to abuse him.
*A major character is killed off this season, and the goodbye made me cry (yes, I'm such a girl, let's move on).
*I love the re-appearance of Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer. He may not really be around, trying to end the world, but he exists in Sam's mind, and tortures him constantly, eventually getting him committed. Don't get me wrong, I love Sam, and the story-line is heart-breaking as he struggles to keep his grip on what is real and what is not, but I love Mark Pellegrino as an actor and there's something so perversely hilarious about his taunts as he tries to get Sam to acknowledge his 'existence'.
*Another note- I really could have done without the clown episode. The last episode of Supernatural involving killer clowns was quite enough, and as stupid as it sounds, they were far creepier than any demon or Leviathan (but maybe that's just my issue).
*Best episodes so far- Death's Door, Time After Time, The Born-Again Identity.

Rating- 4/5 (one star off for the Leviathan not yet living up to their potential- may revise rating if final episodes prove me wrong).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2012 2:07 PM BST

The Hangover [DVD] [2009]
The Hangover [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Zach Galifianakis
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately the best kind of Hangover, 21 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Hangover [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Four guys head to Las Vegas for a bachelor party, only to wake up the next morning with the world's biggest, nastiest hangover, missing not only their memories of the night before, but also missing the groom, Doug.
I know this film isn't out on dvd yet, as it has only just been released in UK cinemas, but I HAD to recommend it, because it is just THAT good. It is definately the funniest film I have seen in a long time and I will definately be buying it as soon as it is released!
The film follows the guys efforts to make sense of their hazy memories and find the groom, by following various clues from the night before(what could the tiger in the bathroom possibly mean? :P)
A highlight for me was the character of Alan (played by Zach Galifianakis), who is the bride's socially- inept, ecstasy-loving brother. His character is seemingly slightly unbalanced, but ultimately well-meaning, and you actually start to feel for him as he begins to discover the delights of having friends and being part of his very own little 'wolf-pack' (his words, not mine).
Also along for the ride is Stu, a dentist ("not a doctor!!!"), whose uptight girlfriend believes he has gone to Napa Valley for some sort of wine tasting trip (nothing like a healthy relationship based on lies and psychotic controlling tendencies).
Next we have Phil (played by Bradley Cooper) a married schoolteacher who doesn't seem to like kids or his marriage. For Phil, Vegas is the ultimate escape from his surburban hell (which he is keen to impress upon Stu, who is considering proposing to his long-term girlfriend. Phil is the one with the marriage 'experience' ; something he is more than happy to escape from for a few days. After all, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... right??
The film may sound like the typical 'drunk fools making idiots out of themselves, puking and falling over themselves' type of film, but it is so much more than that. It is a laugh-a-minute type of film and although some scenes and characters do come off slightly predictable (in particular, the asian mob boss with the annoyingly high-pitched voice and an 80 grand score to settle), there are too many completely random and hysterical events going on, making boredom impossible. Watch it now! Trust me, you won't regret it :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2010 1:10 PM GMT

Graceling
Graceling
by Kristin Cashore

4.0 out of 5 stars The Grace of writing a pretty cool book :), 15 Jun 2009
This review is from: Graceling (Paperback)
To possess a grace is to possess an extraordinary skill in something, whether it be cooking, painting, or playing chess. Unfortunatly, in Katsa's world, Gracelings are feared, either shunned by society, or manipulated and exploited. Katsa is one of the most feared as she has the grace of killing. As a young child, she is able to kill a grown man without intention and hardly any effort. From a young age, therefore, she is marginalised, and this continues into adulthood. Differently coloured eyes (in Katsa's case- one blue, one green) mark out a graceling, making it difficult to conceal their identities.
Graceling is the story of Katsa's struggle to break away from the control of her uncle, the King of the Middluns, who uses her as his own personal unstoppable assassin; a job she despises. It is also a story of becoming comfortable in your own skin. Katsa despises her grace; fearing herself and what she is capable of. She has few friends, as she is so afraid of hurting them, that she finds it difficult to get truly close to anyone.
The book is very easy to read, the plot is not overly complicated, and travels at just the right pace, making it very difficult to put down.
It is not without faults, however. A few other reviews have mentioned the fact that there are a few 'dodgy' or cliched names. It's hardly a major issue, but 'Tealiff' 'Po' and 'Bitterblue' in particular made me want to rename the characters in my head.
One other issue is that, whilst I loved the villian (just scary and creepy enough for me), I thought his downfall came a little too easily and would have liked a bit more of an epic 'showdown.' He is built up as an almost unstoppable threat, yet the moment of his defeat feels a little anti-climactic (but hey, that's just my opinion). Apart from that, I loved Graceling. It is a book I could easily get into again in the future and I would highly recommend it if you like a bit of light-fantasy, with a strong, female lead.

Charmed - Season 7 [DVD]
Charmed - Season 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Holly Marie Combs
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing wrong with Season 7!, 3 April 2009
This review is from: Charmed - Season 7 [DVD] (DVD)
I don't understand why season 7 had such low viewing figures. I love it! In my opinion it's slightly better than season 8 (where Billie sometimes seems to upstage the Charmed Ones).
It's not my favourite season, and it does have it's low points. For example, the major threat of the Avatars never feels as serious as it is supposed to, and seems to drag on. The idea of a Utopian society is an interesting concept, but this is Charmed! Come on, you can't have a demon-free Charmed.
After the (minor) threat of the Avatars passes, Zankou takes over as the main threat, and in my opinion, is one of the best demons of all 8 series (after Cole- obviously).
Something I love about this season is the variety of new guest stars. We have Oded Fehr (Zankou) and Kerr Smith, who plays Kyle Brody, an FBI agent and new boyfriend for Paige, who is hell bent on destroying the Avatars. Also notable are Charisma Carpenter, who plays a seer trying to become mortal, and Billy Zane as Drake, an ex-demon turned literature teacher, who spends his last days teaching Phoebe to embrace love again.
Highlights of Season 7 include:
'Styx Feet Under'- Piper angers Death, who retaliates by recruiting her as a temporary Angel of Death. Her job is to help souls into the afterlife, but this becomes a lot more difficult when one of those souls turns out to be her sisters.
'Charmed Noir'- Very stylish episode, which sees Paige and Brody sucked into an unfinished crime novel, set in the 1930's. In order to keep them alive, Phoebe and Piper must write plot twists in order to lead the new characters to the only one with the power to finish the story...
'Witchness Protection'- The seer (Charisma Carpenter) is placed under the protection of the sisters when she decides to sell out her fellow demons in order to become human. With her visions of Utopia, she is just what the Avatars need to bring the Charmed Ones around to their cause (or so they think).
'Show Ghouls'- After a cabaret club caught fire, killing those trapped inside, a time loop prevented them from moving on, meaning they were forced to re-live the fire again and again. Phoebe and Drake must go back to the night of the fire, in 1899 in order to free all the lost souls.

Weaker episodes-

'A Call to Arms'
'There's something about Leo'
'Freaky Phoebe'

Charmed: Complete Season 2 [DVD]
Charmed: Complete Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shannen Doherty

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than season 1!, 3 April 2009
I love Charmed and own all 8 seasons on DVD!
If you've never seen Charmed, it is about 3 young women, living in San Francisco, who find a spell book in the attic, which unleashes the magical powers they are destined to inherit.
Prue can move objects with her mind, Piper can freeze time and Phoebe has premonitions.
Using their witchy powers they must fight and vanquish evil beings (warlocks, demons and other kinds of nasties) in order to save the innocent.
Whilst season 1 was definately a great starting point for the show (I do recommend it),season 2 is stronger. The characters become more engaging as the actors becomemore confident in their roles. The demons also look more realistic (this is just my personal view).
Of course it has it's weak points. For example the love-triangle between Piper, Leo and new neighbour Dan, does become slightly tiresome, although it all works out ok...
My favourite episodes are:
'Morality Bites'- Phoebe's power of premonition gives her a glimpse of her future, where she is executed for using her powers for evil. All 3 sisters visit the future to try to prevent this horrible fate.
'Ms Hellfire'- Love this episode! Barbas is back, and trying again to kill 13 witches by midnight, using a female hitwoman. When the sisters kill the assassin, Prue takes her place, becoming Ms Hellfire, in order
to find out who is targeting them.
'Awakened'- When Piper becomes infected with a life-threatening disease, Phoebe and Prue turn tothe Book of Shadows to save their sister from a non- supernatural threat. Piper is cured, but at what cost? There is always that 'little' issue of personal gain...
'Pardon my Past'- another episode about Phoebe, in which she discovers her past life as an evil witch. She must confront this past life, in order to save herself in the present.

The season does have it's weak episodes. For me, these are:

'The Devil's Music'
'Animal Pragmatism'
'How to make a Quilt out of Americans'

Overall, this is a good season, which I definately recommend buying. You won't regret it :)

Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (Nintendo DS)
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Game Dealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Apollo, we love you! :), 1 Feb 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If, like me, you're a loyal fan of the Phoenix Wright games, you may be hesitant to try this game, but after playing it, I can say, don't let preconceptions put you off. It's true, that this game is just like a new Phoenix Wright, but that seems to be the point, and it's not a negative thing, as there are differences to the original games.
Apollo Justice is a rookie defense attorney, taking over where Phoenix left off. His clients are people who always appear to be overwhelmingly guilty, yet somehow, as the game progresses, Apollo is able to turn around the evidence in order to get a 'not guilty' verdict (hence the fact that each episode begins with 'turnabout'- like the Phoenix Wright episodes).
Your time is spent investigating, searching for crucial pieces of evidence and then, when you have your evidence, you proceed to the courtroom (don't worry if you think you've missed a piece of evidence, as the game will not let you proceed to court unless you find all that you need. This means that you will have what you need in court, you just need to figure out how, and when, to use it).
The difficulty level of the game varies. At times you may be convinced that a piece of evidence is relevant, but it is dismissed in court, and
you are awarded a penalty (too many penalties in court equals an instant 'Guilty' verdict from the judge). If you are truly stuck (which, I'll admit, I was at times) you can always search for an online walkthrough, but try not to do this often if you want to get as much enjoyment out of the game as possible. There is a great deal of satisfaction in working out 'who did what, and why' on your own, without help.
Most of the characters are new, but there are familiar faces from the earlier Ace Attorney games, which definately makes the
game more enjoyable (the first case in particular re-introduces a popular character in quite a shocking turn of events).
The new characters are interesting, in particular, the addition of Klavier Gavin, rockstar/ prosecutor, is a welcome one (although, for me, Miles Edgeworth is still the best prosecutor!) :)
If you've played the Phoenix Wright games, you'll remember the 'Magatama' and the 'Psyche-Locks,' which Phoenix sees when someone is lying to him.
Apollo Justice, however, offers a new spin on this, as Apollo is able to use his bracelet to detect lies through the nervous habits of witnesses. This is particularly interesting, as a witness' testimony can seem water-tight, but the subtle body-language casts doubt on what they are saying. The nervous habits are usually very difficult to 'percieve,' and in order to spot them, you are given a close up, slow-motion view of the witness, which you use to search their body for the nervous habit, as well as when it is displayed (in particular, what they are saying when they give away their discomfort).
This game is great fun for anyone new to the Ace Attorney franchise, as well as those suffering from Phoenix Wright withdrawal symptoms!
Even if you have never played the other games, the game is very easy and fun to use, and I guarantee you'll be revisiting the earlier games! Enjoy.

Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen (Nintendo DS)
Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen (Nintendo DS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 12 Dec 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is awesome! Having never played Dragon Quest game before, I was pleasantly surprised by this.
As the title suggests, the game has different 'chapters.' The first chapter follows a knight named Ragnar McRyan, who is ordered to investigate and rescue kidnapped children.
Chapter 2 is the story of a young Tsar's daughter, Alena, who along with an old magician and a young priest, escapes the castle and sets out in search of adventure.
Chapter 3 follows Torneko Taloon, a merchant who longs to become the greatest merchant in the world.
Chapter 4 follows the story of twins, Meena and Maya (a dancer and a fortune-teller) who are out for revenge for the murder of their father.
Chapter 5 follows...you! You can play as boy or girl and fill the role of the 'Chosen One.'
The chapters are all fun, not too long, but not too short. The graphics are beautiful, which in a game like this, I think is quite important as you spend a lot of time exploring a beautiful kingdom. I especially like the way that the areas you cover get marked out on your world map, so that you know if there is a little corner of the map that you have not yet explored.
You will also spend a lot of time fighting, to level up the characters. This can get frustrating (some characters require many more exp. points to level up than others), but some characters can use magic (as well as simple attacks) which makes the battles a lot more interesting and inventive.
When you save the game, you have to go to a village and find a church (although if you are in a dungeon, you can quicksave), where you give a 'confession' of all that you have done (interesting way of saving progress I suppose)This can get a bit irritating, especially if you are no-where near a village, but after a while, you will get used to this and do it almost automatically.
Overall, I would definately recommend this game. It keep me amused for days and it is the type of that game that you can go back to again and again. Buy it now!

Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus (Penguin Popular Classics)
Frankenstein: Or, the Modern Prometheus (Penguin Popular Classics)
by Mary Shelley

5.0 out of 5 stars Think you know Frankenstein? Probably not., 26 Nov 2008
I know many other reviews have probably pointed this out, but Frankenstein is usually the subject of a common misconception, in that Frankenstein is not the creature's name, it is his creators surname. The creature does not in fact have a name (I call him creature for lack of a better word), and throughout the novel is de-humanised and debased as he is refered to as a monster. He is the unknown and the misunderstood and is therefore shunned from society and everything that is considered normal.
This is the classic novel of one man, and his quest for knowledge. This quest leads to him bestowing life upon an inanimate being; something which he deeply regrets as soon as he has accomplished it. It is the product of Victor Frankenstein's own creation that eats away at him and ultimately destroys him.
The novel reads as a warning against the accomplishments of scientific experimentation, which, in Shelley's day, would have been deeply shocking to the reader. Nowadays, it is much more difficult to shock, but this novel remains a classic. It is unfortunate that the 'legend' of Frankenstein has been so altered by many different adaptations over the years, as the original story is one that forces the reader to consider the moral aspect and the humanity of the 'monster.' It is not just another horror story.

Twins
Twins
by Marcy Dermansky

5.0 out of 5 stars Blonde and beautiful? Yes. Perfect? Definately not., 26 Nov 2008
This review is from: Twins (Paperback)
As seems to be the case with suburban life, not everything is as it seems in this novel.
On the surface, it is the story of two successful lawyers with a young son and two beautiful twin daughters. Underneath lies the story of an unstable home and teenage rebellion that is, at times, downright disturbing.

Sue is the dramatic, obsessive twin, who cannot imagine her life without her twin sister, Chloe. She longs to be near Chloe forever (at least in the beginning of the book) and convinces her sister to get matching tattoos (each one proudly displaying the other's name), in an attempt to 'brand' her sister, to lay even more of a claim over her. "We would always be part of each other, our names inscribed on each other's skin."

Chloe, on the other hand, could not feel more differently. She longs for a life where she is not just one of the twins, where she can be just Chloe. Most of the time, she seems overpowered by the overwhelmingly possessive nature of the sister she has come to deeply resent.

As the story progresses, each twin struggles as they fight for a life seperate from each other and the results are the classic (and some not so classic) acts of teenage rebellion.

I was pleasantly surprised at this book, as it is not the typical teenage-rebellion story. There are the usual cliches, like the 'broken' home- the parents who work 24/7, end up getting divorced (then later getting back together) and seem to show a preference for one child over the others, but the story is so hard-hitting yet imaginative (and the author clearly understands teenagers) that it becomes a book with much more depth than I initially expected.
I strongly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2