Profile for mrsslipper > Reviews

Tala 30-Piece Disposable Non-Slip Icing Bag, Blue
Tala 30-Piece Disposable Non-Slip Icing Bag, Blue
Price: 3.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Really quite small, 15 May 2014
These bags detach easily from the roll leaving the others intact, so no wastage there. They are grippy, definitely no slipping about, even with buttercream covered hands. However, I found them just too small to use easily.

I used what I think is a normal amount of buttercream to pipe swirls on 12 cupcakes, (200g icing sugar, 100g butter). Due to the sticky and somewhat inflexible nature of the material of the bag, the icing grips the sides a bit as you are filling it and the job is made doubly harder by their small size. By the time you've opened one and rolled it over the sides of a glass for filling, the aperture is only a few cm wide and you have to sort of poke the buttercream in with your fingers. I found it's not easy to pipe if you fill the bag with the full amount of buttercream as per my recipe above, so I had no choice but to do this tricky job of filling the bag twice. It's not a huge flaw, but it's enough to make me want to go back to my roomy nylon bag. I find washing that up is less of a fiddle than filling these small, stiff, bags.

Fonerize Womens Real Leather Wallet and iPhone 4 4S Case plus Card Holder in Pink
Price: 24.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Affects camera, 8 April 2014
Seems like it's well made and will protect the phone, however, I am not going to be using it on a regular basis as the pictures taken on the camera are surrounded by a pink halo effect. This being caused by the too small aperture on the rear of the case for the camera lens.

I have gone back to my hard shell for now and I will only use this as a precautionary measure if I am going somewhere and I think the phone might get damaged - only if I don't want to take any pictures, of course.

Other than that, it's a good case and if it didn't have this problem, then I would probably get second one in a different colour.

Empire Signature Series Slim Fit Case for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Vintage Floral Stud
Price: 8.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, 5 April 2014
Fits the iphone 4s with no moving around and is also easily removed again if necessary. I would get another cover from this range.

As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 5 April 2014
I liked the ending of this book, as I didn't see it coming and I like how the story seemed to flow well, with no unnecessary diversions, however, I was quite put off by the writing style.

The whole way through, I felt I was sitting in a court, listening to a policeman read out a series of events from his notebook. Very, very plain language - just a recounting of what happened really. No imagery, or much in the way of how the main character was feeling about the various goings on.

Just personal preference stuff really - I generally like a bit more flair to my reading material.

How To Make 10 In Ten Minutes! (The Professional Writers Series)
How To Make 10 In Ten Minutes! (The Professional Writers Series)
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars More letters than fillers, 24 Mar 2014
It took me 15 minutes to read this through. I'm not complaining about the length. It only cost the price of an ice cream and that would take me a lot less time to finish.

The book is well written and if you want to learn the art of pretending to be an avid reader of any given publication and how to get paid for sending in written snippets of your real, or made-up life with accompanying photos then this is the book for you.

I, however, wanted information on how to write fillers, ie: small pieces of text that a magazine will use to fill a gap in a page with other, larger articles, and I felt that this book didn't cover that and concentrated instead on letters and other items sent in by "readers".

Yes, you'll get 25 for writing the star letter in a mag, but that's the letters page. What I wanted to learn about was suggested lengths, topics and submission procedures for tiny articles that pay a few quid...and I didn't get this.

I've given four stars because, although it wasn't suitable for my needs, the contents seem clear and informative and I'm sure if you follow the author's guidance, you will definitely make back more than the cost of the book.

DIGIFLEX 2 in 1 Red Laser Pointer LED Flashlight Torch Keyring for Pets or Pointing
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 29 Mar 2013
I have bought a few laser pointers as cat toys and I have found that the batteries fail after a few days and that they are quite flimsy. I have found this one to be still going strong battery-wise after more than a week and it does not feel like it will break easily. The red laser is bright and I would estimate the visible dot on the floor to be about 4mm which is more than enough for the cats to chase easily. The torch is operated by pressing the other button and gives a bright, white light. I don't think this would be suitable for lighting the way in the dark if you were unsure of your footing, but it is certainly fine for shining on something to read in the dark - just to give a little bit of light. I would definitely get another one of these.

The One You Love (Emma Holden suspense mystery trilogy Book 1)
The One You Love (Emma Holden suspense mystery trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 16 Mar 2013
I found this novel a bit boring and I stopped reading it about after 1/3 of the way through. I could not warm to the characters who seemed shallow and 2 dimensional. There were a lot of clues about future mysteries, sections that detailed the thoughts and actions of, as yet, unidentified characters and also a number of what I suspect, were red herrings. All of which I feel is a cheap way of keeping the reader engaged and unfortunately, I began to resent these tactics and deleted the book from my kindle before reaching the end. I gave two stars because in the parts I read, I could not see any spelling mistakes etc, which can often be the case with free books.

Biz-E-Bee Exclusive 'LADYBIRD' Coffee SONY XPERIA MIRO (S) Shock Resistant Neoprene Mobile Phone Case, Cover, Pouch
Offered by Biz-E-Bee Ltd
Price: 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Sony Xperia Miro, 16 Mar 2013
I have a Sony Xperia Miro and this case fits the phone perfectly. It has the ladybird pattern on one side only, the rear is black. The neoprene is soft and flexible and is about 3mm thick. I feel it would protect the phone very well from knocks and I think it would also protect the phone if you were to drop it accidently while it was in the case.

Wired Headset - Black (Xbox 360)
Wired Headset - Black (Xbox 360)
Offered by bid2win-ltd
Price: 6.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what expected, 16 Mar 2013
Not black,(they are grey), as per the description and not in Xbox packaging as per the picture. Just turned up in an orange bag. However, they do the job and they seem to be a genuine Xbox product, so satisfied.

The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam
The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam
Price: 3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange writing style, 7 Mar 2013
I nearly gave up on this book quite near the beginning and consigned it to the slush pile of cheap kindle downloads that aren't worth the few pence I paid for them. However, I was mildly interested in one aspect of the plot, so I kept going. Other reviewers mentioned the complicated ending and I would have to agree with them, although mainly, it was the lack of detail in the writing that put me off. Unless I missed it, I cannot recall reading any description of the main character other than he was of slight build and one oblique reference to his lack of attractiveness. I appreciate the book was written in the first person and people don't generally go around describing their own features to themselves, but I feel it would have been possible to get a bit of detail in there somewhere. It would please me to think that this was, in fact, a clever ploy by the author to keep Charlie's identity a secret due to the furtive nature of his chosen trade. Unfortunately, I think it is just an odd style of writing. The author then further threw me by over-describing some exceptionally mundane things such as how Charlie took a few bites of food followed by how he washed the accumulated crumbs from between his teeth with a mouthful of beer. These are not the things I want to know!
Along with other reviewers, I also found irritating spelling mistakes, missing words and typos.
I will not be buying another book from this series, but I have downloaded Safe House, also by the same author. The reviews were very good, so I hope it will be more enjoyable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3