Profile for Zola fan > Reviews

Content by Zola fan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 910

Zola fan "Nana" (Hants, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml
Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I've found a primer that actually works!, 27 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This may seem a trivial topic for some, but I’ve been searching for a long time to find a primer that actually works. I only ever used a light foundation because medium or full-coverage formulas seemed to emphasise my fine lines and open pores. However, the problem with a light foundation or tinted moisturiser is the lack of staying power. Regardless of brand or cost, nothing would stay on my classic T Zone (slightly oily forehead, nose and chin) for more than a couple of hours. I’d be left with a little bit of colour on my cheeks and blotchy bare skin on my middle forehead, nose and chin. Lovely.

Some years ago I abandoned liquid foundations altogether and switched to the powder foundation of Bare Minerals. I still use this (and tinted moisturiser in the summer) and find it has much better staying power. Unfortunately, even with powder, the old T Zone kicks in during a long day and I need to refresh it.

When primers first came on the market I had my hopes raised. I shouldn’t have bothered because I have wasted lots of money on various top brand primers. They have ranged from the thick, cloggy pastes that drag your skin, to the thin, sticky type serums that make you feel you’ve been varnished. They all had one thing in common, though - they didn’t work! Not one of them managed to hold my foundation/moisturiser in place for more than a couple of hours.

I’m not often given to excitability but…. this primer works! It’s the absolute bees-knees. I am chuffed to bits with it. I applied it in the morning without moisturiser and it was creamy and spread like a dream. When it was dry there was no feeling of tightness or that tacky feel you get with some primers. My face felt lovely and smooth. Applying tinted moisturiser was much easier and I found I didn’t need to use as much as before because it seemed to glide over my skin. The whole finish looked sleek, quite flawless and even. It looked like a professional had applied the makeup. Previously, I was conscious of powdery particles sitting in the pores of my nose. Not now. It’s as though invisible filler has smoothed all the indents out.

I tested this primer on both tinted moisturiser and my Bare Minerals powder foundation for a period of 10 hours. Prior to using this, I would never have believed that a primer could make either product stay so fresh for so long, but it really did. The ultimate test was to cleanse it off and see how much had remained on my face - the T zone in particular. Well, it was as if I had just applied the tinted moisturiser and removed it immediately! The cotton pads were full of colour tint. Ten hours after a light coating! Hurrah!

I apologise for the length of this review but if you managed to stay the course, I hope you found it useful. This is my honest opinion of what I think is the very best primer on the market. Revlon’s primer actually does what it claims to do and I just love it.

Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun
Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful addition to my workshop., 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a powerful tool and it drives the nails into most types of wood with no effort. The supplied and recommended fasteners are, of course, Tacwise “180” Nails –  it comes with a pack of 1000 35mm – and so far, after using around 120 nails, it's not jammed once. The Nailer can be loaded with a range of fastener lengths from 20mm to 50mm and - when using with pine or softer wood – it's worked very well. However, with harder wood or thicker MDF and 50mm nails, a lot of force is needed to press the nose against the material in order to prevent about 1/8" left protruding. Worth bearing in mind….

There is a safety trigger and an on/off switch, with a glowing confirmation light, which is good news, as there is a tendency to lay the tool down while re-clamping during larger projects. The power cord is just short of 8ft - ideal for manoeuvring around and into corners. Also, there was no noticeable loss of efficiency when I did need to use an extension cable. The rubber “nose” prevents impact damage to softer wood and is easily removed to reach into tight little corners, such as the inside of a carcass.
The supplied cartridges of 100 nails are loaded into the slider with impressive ease. This wasn't the case with an earlier model I had used, which pushed the nails up into a bunch when the slider was closed and needed some TLC to get them to stay flat. The nose gate released easily, though I had no need to use it because there were no jams. There is also a viewing window to check how many nails are left in the slider.

Unfortunately, powerful usually means heavy – and this is no exception. The Nailer weighs 2.7kg (slightly under 6lb), with relatively strong wrists being a definite advantage!
I suppose you can’t have one without the other, but the gain in efficiency is worth it as far as I am concerned.
The tool has a belt hook, but at this weight the belt had better be tight otherwise the user could be in for an embarrassing trouser episode.
Overall, an efficient and very useful addition to the workshop.

Finish Quantum Original 2 x Pack of 30 (60 Dishwasher Tablets)
Finish Quantum Original 2 x Pack of 30 (60 Dishwasher Tablets)
Offered by TKGIFTS (Please Note No Delivery To Jersey, Guernsey etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars The dishwasher was innocent - the powder was to blame!, 24 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I recently wrote a review for Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets, praising them to the hilt. I was convinced that my dishwasher was on its way out until I realised that the culprit was the cheap, inferior powder I was using. These Finish Quantum Original tablets are also wrapper-free and contain salt, together with rinse aid. If you live in an area of very hard water, however, you will still need to add salt to your machine as usual.

For short washing cycles the makers recommend placing the tablet on the floor of the dishwasher. I was a little dubious about doing this at first, but the results were brilliant. Crockery gleamed, glassware sparkled and was bloom-free and cutlery was very shiny, with not a water-mark in sight. Just perfect. I was really impressed with this product - obviously I'd forgotten how good Finish tablets were after using the `bargain' bulk-purchase supermarket brand.

I can't say that I've noticed any difference between using this Quantum Finish and the Finish All in One Max Lemon - they are both first rate. I was seriously considering buying a new dishwasher before using these tablets. I was fed up with the amount of rejects, even though I always set the washer on the hottest, longest programme. Now, I've weaned myself off checking for stains and marks because I haven't had anything less than sparkling, even on short programmes. Next time I see offers on the X brand powder, I must remember the old adage of `you get what you pay for' (mostly, anyway).

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

5.0 out of 5 stars I’ve been blaming the poor dishwasher!, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don’t know why I do it. It’s like Ground hog day. Every so often I stock up with supermarket own brand offers on dishwashing powder and feel smug at the savings I’ve made. Then, after a while, I begin to wonder whether the dishwasher is on the way out, because to get a decent clean I have to set it on the maximum time and temperature. It was then that I realised it’s the powder that’s the problem, not the machine.

Each tablet is ready to use – no need to unwrap the covering – and it contains salt. Unless you live in an area of very hard water, there’s no need for additional salt in your machine. For best results on short wash cycles, Finish recommends placing the tablet on the floor of the dishwasher near the filter. I’d never heard of this method before so I gave it a go. Crockery, cutlery and glassware came out sparkling clean with no residual smears or half-washed items to be seen. In short, as I remembered it when I used Finish in the past.

Finish was recommended when I bought my first dishwasher 31 years ago and I don’t recall having many ‘reject’ washes. Using it again reminded me of how good the product is and I will resist the less efficient ‘bargains’ in future.

Tacwise 50mm Brad Nailer. Air Nail Gun. DGN50V
Tacwise 50mm Brad Nailer. Air Nail Gun. DGN50V

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, lightweight and a quality tool., 22 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To use this nail gun you will need a compressor and a hose attachment. I already had a compressor and connected a 10m coiled hose to the gun. The hose connection on the gun is at the base of the handle so it does not hamper operations, unlike some electric versions where the lead can become tangled. The nail gun is very light – weighs only 1.2kg (2.7lb) - and is easy to manoeuvre in confined areas. The soft rubber nose protects the wood from impact damage and is small enough to access most internal spaces.

At a pressure of 60 PSI this tool works admirably for most medium/soft types of wood. When constructing a larger frame or carcass, a 50mm brad penetrates completely. A thin line of glue, a couple of clamps and the job is done quickly and securely.

Some harder types of material, such as better-class plywood or the “finished” side of thicker MDF needed a higher pressure, but increasing this to the recommended maximum of 100 PSI punched the brad well into the material. In fact, a bit TOO far and a reduction to around 85 PSI was about right for a 19mm sheet. Further proportionate reductions in pressure gave excellent results for shorter brads and thinner sheets.

One thing to note when first using, a puff of compressed air is released from the rear of the nailer. This can cause a bit of surprised blinking, but I then found out that the rear cover rotates – problem solved.
This is a really good bit of kit and I wish I’d had it years ago.

The A-list Family
The A-list Family
by Christina Hopkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars If only I had an army of helpers ..., 22 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The A-list Family (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How do those super-celebs manage it? They stay at the top of their game despite being `a regular mum' and always manage to look fantastic. Some are experts in all things fabulous - health and fitness, clothing, beauty, world affairs and décor.
Yes, we all know that celebrities have help - nannies, a cleaner and probably the odd gardener or two. The A-List Family has an army of staff ensuring that the wheels of family fame, as played out in the media, run perfectly smoothly.

The book begins when Anna, a Classics graduate, is employed by the fabulous celeb couple Cally and Sholto as a live-in tutor to their brilliant child Antigone. There's a little bit of everything in this book, celeb exposure, romance, humour and intrigue. The book won't tax your brain cells too much, but it's an easy and entertaining read and takes a playful swipe at the super-celebs who are just divine at everything they do.

Pajanimals - Meet The Pajanimals [DVD]
Pajanimals - Meet The Pajanimals [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely wind-down tales for bed time, 21 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Pajanimals DVD is a typical quality Jim Henson production of bright colours, moving objects and easy to sing-along songs. Each of the ten-minute tales begins with the four little animals – Squacky the duck, Cow Bella the cow, Sweetpea Sue the hippo and Apollo the dog – in their bedroom “five minutes before bed”. Cue a little adventure under the sea in the Pajanimal submarine or a visit to friends.

Each episode addresses a particular issue e.g. an irrational fear of something, scary dreams, learning to share (“a funny case of the “mine, mine, mines”), diversity, starting reception/school and teamwork. Of course, each problem is discussed, fears are quelled and it all ends happily with a little song and dance before sleep time.

Our four and a half year old loved the Pajanimals. He laughed along with the puppets and understood why a particular character was sad/anxious and how the issue was resolved. The Pajanimals was also a hit with our sixteen month old toddler - although too young to understand the morals in the tales, he was riveted by the colourful Pajanimals and their adventures.

Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Large
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivation on my wrist, 27 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To get started you need to activate the wristband. The Fitbit website prompts you through a couple of simple steps and within seconds you are ready to go! I also found it extremely easy to sync my Mac laptop and iPhone with the wireless Fitbit band and I am not an expert on technical stuff. The band will track various activities such as the number of steps taken, distance travelled, calories burned and flights of stairs climbed. Keep it on in bed and it will record how long and how well you slept. The wristband also acts as an ordinary watch and even has a silent, vibrating alarm. The battery, by the way, lasts for well over a week and recharges in less than half an hour.

The Fitbit website has many different information sections. You can opt to complete a daily food diary that calculates how many calories you have eaten against how many you have burned off. Also, there are a variety of forums on the site, where people can ‘buddy-up’ for support in weight loss/activity sessions etc.

You can opt for a (free of charge) personal progress report to be emailed to you each week. This details the total number of calories in versus those out, total steps taken, distance travelled etc. and the amount of weight change, if any. It even reveals which day of the week was your most active and which was the least.

I am at the age where I really need to lose some weight and get a little fitter, but I can’t stand gyms. With just a press of a button on the wristband I can see how much or little I have been active during the day. The Fitband and the report have motivated me to get off the settee and shift my derriere. I can really recommend it to others who want to get fitter.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2014 9:51 PM GMT

Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg
Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Discerning dog gives it five stars!, 9 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our medium-sized mutt was out to prove that old saying “the proof of the pudding is in the eating”. He was salivating once he smelt the open pack and when we added a little warm water to Mr. Goodlad, it was a case of “now you see it, now you don’t”. Come dinnertime, mixed with a tin of his usual dog food, the vanishing act was repeated. This has not always been the case with some other dried foods.

The 15kg size comes in a sturdy polythene bag, so if you don’t have a separate storage bin the large plastic food clips are good for keeping the food fresh and dry. Although our much-loved Heinz 57 is active, he isn’t a working dog. However, he was happy to vote this Mr. Goodlad a 5 star rating because he really liked it and there were no unhappy after effects.

Philips Disney Frozen Children's Sensor Night Light (1 x 0.06 W Integrated LED)
Philips Disney Frozen Children's Sensor Night Light (1 x 0.06 W Integrated LED)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute and keeps the night-nadgers away!, 2 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Disney night light is small and neat – just a little over 9.5cm in diameter – yet gives out a decent localised area of light. It is surprisingly light – weight including batteries is 66gm (2.35oz) - so if you don’t want to mark the wall with a pin tack, double-sided tape or Velcro pads would do the job. There is no on/off switch; the light has a motion sensor that turns itself off after 20 seconds and only works in the dark, so the batteries should last quite a while. By the way, batteries are not included, so you will need 2xAAA size.

The light is a soft warm glow and gentle enough to reassure and resettle a little one without being too bright. This is a well thought out night light that our little girl loves. However, a word of warning – if you place the light too near your child, it becomes a game of ‘checking it works’, a new and ‘hilarious’ delaying tactic!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20