Profile for Zola fan > Reviews

Content by Zola fan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 773

Zola fan "Nana" (Hants, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hufa Original Cap Clip for Lens - Red
Hufa Original Cap Clip for Lens - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent camera accessory, 21 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This simple, yet very useful lens cap clip is a brilliant idea. It takes just seconds to attach the clip to a camera strap and secure lens cap. The actual clip, although firm, is soft to the touch and certainly wouldn’t damage the lens cap.

The clip is approximately 5.5cm in length and 4cm in width. I particularly like that the clip is red so it cuts out the fiddling about trying to locate the cap on a black camera strap. I like it a lot.

Philips E27 6 Watt LED Edison Screw, Warm White
Philips E27 6 Watt LED Edison Screw, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to change over to these bulbs now., 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I confess that I didn’t know what an LED light bulb was. Now I’ve learned that it stands for Light-Emitting Diode, the bulb uses a tiny amount of energy and is supposed to last for years. It has a semi-conductor rather than a filament and LED bulbs are said to be the most energy-saving bulbs on the market. The energy rating of this bulb is A+ that is second only to an A++.

The bulb was well packaged in an easy to open secure moulding. It’s larger and heavier than a standard-sized older model and the lower third of the bulb is coloured white with a plastic-type coating. This 6W bulb equates to 40 Watts and is dimmable. This is a godsend for someone who reads for hours at night using a dimmer switch in consideration for a partner. I also noticed that this bulb does not get hot – I was able to touch it even though it had been on for three hours! That has to be a bonus, not only for safety reasons, but also for when a room is already warm enough.

The light was immediate – no waiting for it to warm up to a ‘dull’ brightness like the energy–saving bulbs of old - and the colour is a nice warm white as stated. I can’t see much difference in the quality of light between this bulb and the one I replaced it with. However, I am thrilled to think that I’m using 85% less energy and if it lasts for up to 20,000 hours as Philips claim, I will be very happy indeed.

Vax Air3 Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air3 Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent suction on carpets, 17 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, let me say that I was never a fan of upright vacuum cleaners and prior to buying a Dyson DC25 Animal Ball (purple) in 2010 I’d had a variety of cylinder models over the years. I like the power of the Dyson upright cleaner but hate having to lug it upstairs. I would like to add that I have 3 cats (not all by choice!) so I need to vacuum every day.

This VAX is lighter than my Dyson and definitely less cumbersome to maneuver and carry. It was ready to go once the handle was inserted into the tube of the vacuum body. The handle is ‘notch’ adjustable and suitable both for short people - I am 5’1’’- and those of 6’2’’. The instruction book is one of the best I’ve seen in recent years, with written text accompanied by clear diagrams.

This particular model did not come with the additional tools available, such as the turbo tool, the flexi crevice tool, the 2.3m stretch hose and the fur ‘n’ fluff tool. However, as a temporary measure I used the flat upholstery tool on the stairs and the carpet – including the corners – and they came up a treat. I’m sure that the turbo head performs even better. Detaching the hose from the machine to use in hand tool mode was extremely quick and easy. However, the hose itself is very short and I could only vacuum stairs 5 steps at a time. Offset against this, the machine is relatively light, so I didn’t find it particularly tiresome to move the VAX up the stairs. Compared to my upright Dyson – where detaching the tube for hand tools is an utter nightmare – this function is simple.

The suction of this VAX is very powerful, though on the reverse stroke it is exceptionally strong. Whilst this makes for a thorough deep clean, the pull required would be too much for some people – it wouldn’t suit my elderly mother. I was very impressed with the vacuuming. The suction visibly lifted my carpets and, as with my Dyson, I was disgusted at the amount of fur and filth collected in the dirt container. I would say that, compared to the Dyson, the VAX removed a comparable amount of dirt, though the Dyson has the edge on suction next to skirting boards.

I would not recommend this cleaner – or a Dyson - if your floors are mostly wood, laminate, marble, as it doesn’t perform particularly well. I still prefer a cylinder for hard floors.

No vacuum cleaner is going to be all things to all men or women. I think that generally, upright cleaners do a more thorough job on carpets than cylinders. However, they’re not ideal for stairs, hard floors and next to skirting boards. If you are thinking of buying an upright vacuum cleaner I would seriously consider this - or perhaps the model that comes with the additional tools including the 2.3m flex hose. Had this vacuum cleaner been available 4 years ago, I would have chosen it over my Dyson as it’s lighter, less bulky, performs just as well and setting up the hand tool hose is far easier. The biggest advantage for me, though, is not having the big ball that comes with the Dyson. With the VAX I was able to clean right underneath low furniture without having to move it. Brilliant!

Philips B22 6 Watt LED 40W WW 230V A60 FR ND/4, Warm White
Philips B22 6 Watt LED 40W WW 230V A60 FR ND/4, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very happy to save 84% energy., 17 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know hardly anything about the technicalities of energy saving light bulbs so 6w 2700k meant very little to me. However, what appealed to me about this light bulb was its 84% energy saving consumption in this 40w equivalent bulb.
Information with the bulb claims it is A+ on a scale ranging from E to A++ so that has to be good.

The first thing to note is the bulb is a little bigger and a fair bit heavier than a normal one – this is possibly because the lower half is coated in a white plastic-type material. Also, it is not dimmable. I tried using it in my bedside lamp and it emitted a high-pitch whine and kept flickering. It does actually tell you this on the back of the box in the form of a small diagram – my impatience to blame.

I used this bulb to replace an old-style, non-energy saver in a table lamp. The light is immediate – I disliked those depressing energy saving bulbs that took ages to reach full brightness. The light emitted is, as claimed, a soft white. I can’t see any visual difference between this and the old bulb but I’m happy to know that I am using 84% less energy. Whether it lasts for 15,000 hours remains to be seen, but I trust the Philips brand and have high hopes that it will.

Marvel Avengers Titan Hero Series Hulk Figure
Marvel Avengers Titan Hero Series Hulk Figure
Offered by a1 Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hulk is a big hit(ter)., 13 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Hulk, like his Marvel namesake, is big (30.5cm/12”) and sturdy. He has no trouble standing up alone. I thought that his picture on Amazon looked like he was a solid rubber figure, but he’s not. The Hulk is made of hard plastic, which must be toughened, because he survived unscathed after three accidental drops onto a tiled floor (I would expect nothing less from a man of his stature!).
His head moves up, down and from side to side. Although he has no knee joints, The Hulk’s legs can stride forth from the hips. The best bits, however, are his hands (they are as big as his head) and his shoulder joints – they rotate 360 degrees! His trousers are not removable despite 4 year old’s curiosity to see if he had underpants on!

I was really impressed with the packaging of The Hulk - it’s as green as the chap himself. He came in an expensive-looking box and was held in place by recyclable green paper twine that was easy to undo, unlike those fiddly small plastic cable ties that require scissors. Well done Hasbro.

Our four year old absolutely loves him and spent most of the day charging around the place roaring “Arghhh...arghhhh…” We may have to get him Spiderman from the same Superheroes Avengers series if only to give the poor Hulk some conversation!
This would make an ideal present for collectors/fans and children over 4 years old.

Galt Toys Nursery Trampoline
Galt Toys Nursery Trampoline

4.0 out of 5 stars Toddler's fun trampoline., 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Galt Toys Nursery Trampoline (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We found this quite easy to construct. Yes, the instructions could have been a bit clearer but they were adequate.
It took about 30 minutes to put together – mainly because it was a little tricky to align the thread of the screws connecting the circular supports. It does require two people for part of the construction because of the high tension of the trampoline mat. However, two people are needed only whilst slotting the final two pieces of the metal circle together.

It’s a fun little trampoline – bouncing area is only 20cm/8” off the floor – and it is definitely sturdy enough not to tip over. The central fabric seems to be of a good quality and adequately constructed to take a maximum weight of a 20kg/44lb child. The handle bar is nicely padded to minimise any injuries to a toddler’s head or face and the tortoise panel prevents the little one from accidentally slipping forwards and off the trampoline.

I have one small concern, however. Between the outside ring and the bouncing area, there are eight thick elastic strips. These secure the fabric to the metal ring, but there are gaps of approximately 14cm/5.5 inches between these strips. This is wide enough for a toddler’s foot or leg to go through and cannot be seen when the padded skirt is in place. I can’t see this being a major problem if the child is supervised, but I thought it worth a mention.
All in all, this trampoline is a smashing little addition to fun time.

Heli [DVD]
Heli [DVD]
Dvd ~ Armando Espitia

5.0 out of 5 stars Far from the bright lights of the tourist trade., 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: Heli [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For anyone looking for entertainment in the conventional sense, this is not for you. It is dark, brutal and depressing. Having said that, it is an excellent film – and one that I applaud - portraying the poverty, violence, corruption and futility that many decent, hardworking Mexicans probably face every day in a drug-related culture.

Heli lives with his wife, baby, sister and father in a run down two bedroomed home on the edge of a small town. A romance between Heli’s sister and a member of a ‘special forces’ unit is the trigger for an explosion of very graphic violence and cruelty. The relationship between these two is, in fact, quite disturbing to watch, as Estela looks about 12 and Alberto is 17.

Despite the subject matter and the hopeless plight of the characters I did enjoy this film. It reminded me a little of some of Mike Leigh’s work, especially the bleak resignation and the economical dialogue. There are graphic scenes of sex, nudity and violence but it was not gratuitous. There is one particular scene in the film that was actually shown in the British media about lawlessness in Mexico. The acting was first rate and I was glad that I watched it.

Thomas & Friends Motion Control Thomas
Thomas & Friends Motion Control Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone will love this Thomas!, 10 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thomas arrived securely packaged, ready to go and batteries WERE included. From the minute the big blue button was pressed and Thomas started strutting his stuff, three generations of fans were hooked on this clever little engine.

Thomas gives the humans a variety of instructions including, "Let's chug forwards" and "Let's turn back". He is activated by waving the yellow crossing signal or a hand in the general area of his head. Thomas plays tricks too - if he says "Let's chug back" instead of "Thomas says let's chug back" and the child tries to wave him on, he says "Whoops, I didn't say" and emits a lovely, infectious giggle. As Thomas gets close to an obstacle, he says, "Whoa" and gives the child instructions on how to get him free. In 'race' mode Thomas tells the child he is ready for a race and the 'engine' makes an authentic steaming noise. Thomas can be directed backwards or forwards and will stop in his (pretend) tracks when the crossing signal or a hand is placed before him. All the while, Thomas is either laughing or giving encouraging comments such as "Well done!".

This is a lovely toy. It's very easy to operate and there were no fiddly snags to it such as having to place the operating crossing signal/hand within a precise area. Thomas also moves just as smoothly on carpet as he does on hard floors. Thomas is sturdy yet light enough for a toddler to handle. We noticed that in just a short time our youngest had learned how to stop and start Thomas and found it hilarious that he could bring Thomas to a halt at any time by using the signal. This, of course, caused a mini riot because the 4 year old wanted to put Thomas through his paces and follow his instructions! It was a close call between the Daddy, Grandad and the two little ones over who wanted to give Thomas a rest first; they all loved him.

The Final Silence
The Final Silence
by Stuart Neville

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced thriller with believable characters., 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Final Silence (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed this book almost from the very first page. Rea Carlisle has inherited a house from her late, reclusive uncle and in a boarded-up room discovers something shocking.
Jack Lennon is the cop who has the task of trying to get to the bottom of a series of secrets, murders and conspiracies in an area of Belfast where he is not welcome.

Stuart Neville’s characters were so well portrayed and totally believable. The action was fast-paced throughout and I was kept guessing right to the end through a series of scandalous events.
The only criticism I have – and it’s a small one given that the book was so good – was I felt that the ending was a little rushed.

The Emperor Waltz
The Emperor Waltz
by Philip Hensher

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow at times but still a good read., 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Emperor Waltz (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone familiar with Philip Hensher’s works will know that he writes big books; this is 614 pages long and his previous (and very good) work, ‘The Northern Clemency’ was 738 pages. The descriptions of his characters, time and place are so well described that I felt more like an onlooker than a reader.

The Emperor Waltz tells the stories of three main characters from different periods in time in three different countries beginning with 1920s Germany, 1970s UK and a Roman outpost in AD203. Although the tales are very diverse, each one is set in a period of historic, social and political change - and Hensher portrays the effects on the various personalities very well.

I enjoyed reading this book, but I did think it was a little too long and I found the pace was quite slow at times. That said, it is a good read and worth a little perseverance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20