Profile for Zola fan > Reviews

Content by Zola fan
Top Reviewer Ranking: 886

Zola fan "Nana" (Hants, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg
Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Discerning dog gives it five stars!, 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our medium-sized mutt was out to prove that old saying “the proof of the pudding is in the eating”. He was salivating once he smelt the open pack and when we added a little warm water to Mr. Goodlad, it was a case of “now you see it, now you don’t”. Come dinnertime, mixed with a tin of his usual dog food, the vanishing act was repeated. This has not always been the case with some other dried foods.

The 15kg size comes in a sturdy polythene bag, so if you don’t have a separate storage bin the large plastic food clips are good for keeping the food fresh and dry. Although our much-loved Heinz 57 is active, he isn’t a working dog. However, he was happy to vote this Mr. Goodlad a 5 star rating because he really liked it and there were no unhappy after effects.

Philips Disney Frozen Children's Sensor Night Light (1 x 0.06 W Integrated LED)
Philips Disney Frozen Children's Sensor Night Light (1 x 0.06 W Integrated LED)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute and keeps the night-nadgers away!, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Disney night light is small and neat – just a little over 9.5cm in diameter – yet gives out a decent localised area of light. It is surprisingly light – weight including batteries is 66gm (2.35oz) - so if you don’t want to mark the wall with a pin tack, double-sided tape or Velcro pads would do the job. There is no on/off switch; the light has a motion sensor that turns itself off after 20 seconds and only works in the dark, so the batteries should last quite a while. By the way, batteries are not included, so you will need 2xAAA size.

The light is a soft warm glow and gentle enough to reassure and resettle a little one without being too bright. This is a well thought out night light that our little girl loves. However, a word of warning – if you place the light too near your child, it becomes a game of ‘checking it works’, a new and ‘hilarious’ delaying tactic!

Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb
Verbatim 52602 LED Candle E14 4.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for close up work., 30 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’m making it a quest gradually to change all our old light bulbs over to LED, now that I know how much energy these bulbs can save. I have this bulb in an angle poise reading light, which is also used when I have tweezers and a magnifying mirror. The first thing I noticed is the warm soft light; I hadn’t realised what a horrible, harsh light the previous bulb emitted. Another bonus is that the bulb remains very cool. With the old bulb close to my face, I would be really hot and was always aware that I risked burning myself.

This bulb should last up to 20,000 hours – 20 years if used for 2.7 hours a day - and comes with a 3 year limited warranty. Using 85% less energy, I am hoping to see a reduction in my electricity bill now that half the house has LED bulbs.

I am really pleased with this bulb - the light is instant - how depressing were those gradual warm up ones? The illumination is kind on the eyes for reading and good for close up work. Most of all, I’m pleased to be saving energy and money.

Verbatim 52609 LED MR16 GU5.3 5.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb
Verbatim 52609 LED MR16 GU5.3 5.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping the bills down., 28 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
During the past six months I have been gradually changing our old light bulbs over to LED in the quest for lower bills. This bulb has replaced the spot light outside in the porch and it’s the second most used light in the house during autumn and winter. Verbatim (Mitsubishi) claim that the bulb will last for up to 20,000 hours – 20 years if used for 2.7 hours a day. Our porch light is switched on for around 6 or 7 hours continuously during the darker nights, so with an 84% reduction in energy, I am hoping to see a significant saving for at least 10 years.

Before trying this product, I was not aware that the Mitsubishi group made LED bulbs. I was really pleased with this - the light is instant and glows a nice warm white and I would certainly recommend it.

Note for outdoor use: I read that LED lights do not attract as many moths and other bugs because they give off almost no UV light. I have noticed a reduction in flying invaders around my door - but whether this is because of the recent downpours, or not, remains to be seen.

Held Up
Held Up
by Christopher Radmann

3.0 out of 5 stars "It's an everyday car jacking in South Africa"., 27 Nov 2014
This review is from: Held Up (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Shortly after collecting his new dream car, white South African Paul Van Niekerk is car jacked by a desperate black gunman. Shocked and wounded, it is only when he sees his BMW speeding away does Paul realise that his baby daughter is still in the car - strapped in her baby carrier.

Held Up details life in the new South Africa, where segregation still exists between the privileged gated communities and the grinding poverty within the townships. It also reveals how the police are swamped trying to cope with escalating crime. Paul’s determination to find his baby girl leads him to the dangerous world of people trafficking; it also shows him the desperation of those for whom the new South Africa has never afforded hope.

This is Christopher Radmann’s debut novel and it is quite different to regular crime stories. Less emphasis is placed on the crime itself than the effect is has on Paul, his beliefs before and after the abduction and his relationship with his wife. I almost abandoned this book after the first 20 pages. I felt that there were too many sentimental references regarding the difficulty the couple had conceiving their baby, detail of a water birth, mentions of an empty womb, 9 months etc. Yes, I get it that Paul is a sensitive chap, but I felt that the message was hammered home and I was bored with it. A little tighter editing would have been better for my liking.
This is a decent debut and Radmann can write. I’d certainly give his next book a try.

El Nino [DVD]
El Nino [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jesús Castro

4.0 out of 5 stars Gibraltar Straits drug runners, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: El Nino [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
El Nino is a young teenager living in Cadiz, close to Gibraltar, thinking of ways to make money during the current economic depression. He’s a whizz at fixing and testing speedboats and decides that a bit of drug running across the Straits from Morocco would be quick and easy money. Together with his friend, El Compi, they meet up with Halil, whose uncle is a drug dealer. They all have aspirations of making a better life for themselves. On the other side of the operations is a cop called Jesus, who - together with his partner Eva - has been on the drug trail for two years hunting Mr Big, El Ingles.

There is so much to this Spanish film, which has English subtitles. The action and stunt work were especially good and for the most part, there wasn’t a dull moment. Despite the subject matter, there was humour – an early scene where police search a container ship is really amusing.

The characters in El Nino were believable and the action scenes quite spectacular. Friendship and loyalty between characters on both sides of the law were tested amid the violence, corruption and suspicions associated with the drug trade.

The Road to Reckoning
The Road to Reckoning
by Robert Lautner

5.0 out of 5 stars "I dreamed a lot. I do not want to write about them dreams", 15 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Road to Reckoning (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every now and then, I pick up a book and right from the first page I think, ‘I’m going to love this’. Such was this book and it didn’t disappoint.
It’s 1837 and 12-year-old Tom has led a sheltered life in New York as a home-schooled, only child living with his father and aunt. When Tom’s father lands a job as a travelling salesman for Samuel Colt’s new invention – the revolver – he decides to take his son with him. High hopes and spirits are dashed when a tragic incident befalls them and Tom finds himself in a desperate and heartbreaking situation.

The style and pace of Lautner’s writing in this tale reflects perfectly the characters and subject matter of the period. Lautner conveys so much in so few words – this is a real skill - and it’s a joy to read. The descriptions of scenery and lives lived in and around the rough settlements in the shadow of the Appalachians were wonderful. Times were hard and accidents, illness and death often spelt ruination for the whole family. Lawlessness often went unpunished. I could picture it all in my mind’s eye.

This is a relatively short book – 228 pages – but it reads like double its size. I hesitate to describe it as ‘a coming of age’ or ‘rites of passage’ tale (I can’t stand those clapped-out clichés) because the book is so much more. If you enjoy the Texas/mid-west settings of books by Larry McMurtry, Cormac McCarthy and Philipp Meyer, you will love this book.

Always Discreet Medium Incontinence Pants - Pack of 96
Always Discreet Medium Incontinence Pants - Pack of 96

5.0 out of 5 stars Wear with confidence, 15 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For anyone with a bladder weakness these Normal Discreet pads are perfect. Unlike ordinary sanitary towels, the pads are specially designed for incontinence and the absorbency is excellent. The adhesive strip on the pad is very good; it peels off easily and the pad stays firmly in place once attached to knickers/panties. Despite the excellent absorbency level, the pads are comfortable to use because they are not bulky and intrusive.

A bladder weakness can often knock a person's confidence and have an adverse effect on everyday life. If you have a weak bladder and need reliable and discreet protection, I recommend that you try these pads.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2014 10:19 PM GMT

Tomy Counting with Luke the Loop
Tomy Counting with Luke the Loop

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly educational, but good fun., 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This brightly coloured toy is a real eye catcher for little ones. Luke the elephant has a sweet and friendly face and looks very cute sitting in his aeroplane, wearing his flying helmet and goggles. The toy is lightweight and has a smooth carry handle along the fuselage - perfect for little hands to hold and carry. The plane can be wheeled along the floor, or it can be looped in the air to activate the counting action from 1-10. If Luke’s head is pressed, the plane’s propeller rotates slowly and he emits a cheery “Whoo hoo!” while “Here we go loop-de-loop” plays in carnival-style music.

This is a lovely little toy. I would have awarded it 5 stars but for two things:
- the counting action is dependent on completing the loops correctly and I’m not sure that children under 4 would get the hang of it, even if they had the patience.
- a child whirling around with a toy in air without supervision could be an accident waiting to happen.

Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders
Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars because it works!, 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, this stuff really does work. I think most of us have a little dish or drawer where we store the fallen-off bits and pieces from various things around the house. Most of mine comprised of past failures with super glue type products. My marble water buffalo man lost his hat more than 20 years ago and all attempts to stick it back were useless. Part of the problem was that the two surfaces were not smooth and even - they were more like mini craters with various holes and cracks. This was obviously why super glues were not bonding properly.

The kit I received contained 2 x 10ml plastic bottles of adhesive (piercing pin supplied), 1 x 10ml bottle of grey powder and 1 x 10ml bottle of black powder. The powder pours from the nozzle in a gentle flow, so the amount used can be controlled and I didn't end up with a messy work surface and wasted materials. After pouring just a small amount of the powder onto the lumpy surface inside the hat and adding a few drops of the adhesive, it took just a couple of seconds for head and hat to bond like new.

I was impressed with this product and I'm off to repair various items I had given up on but was loathe to dispose of.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20