Profile for Emile Zola reader > Reviews

Content by Emile Zola reader
Top Reviewer Ranking: 834

Emile Zola reader "Gervaise" (Hants, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Skipping Rope - Fast Speed Rope for Fitness Training - Includes FREE Skip Circuit Full Body Workout & FREE Carry Case - Boxing, MMA, Crossfit Workout, WOD's, Cardio - Best Professional Ropes - Black Long 9ft Cable - Great for Exercise - For Men & Women - Improve Strength & Stamina - LIFETIME GUARANTEE
Offered by Roboshop Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Have fun, get fit with a quality skipping rope., 17 May 2015
This skipping rope was sent to me free of charge in return for an honest and unbiased review.

The skipping rope comes with its own fabric drawstring bag and first impressions are that it is a quality and professional product. The handles are lightweight, yet robust, and are comfortable to grip. Clear instructions are included on how to adjust the rope to your particular height and within minutes I was ready to re-live my bygone schooldays! The cable-like-rope is of a plastic-type material and - although it isn’t heavy - it performs like the good ropes we used years ago that vanished off the market i.e. it rises into a perfect arc and hits the ground with enough weight/balance not to tangle and trip you up.

I’ve wanted to get fitter and lose some weight for a while, but a gym and street running is not my thing. I remembered years ago someone telling me that skipping and swimming were two of the finest things you can do for exercise and circulation. Well, it’s been many decades since I last skipped and after just a few minutes I was puffed out. I have no health problems, but it was a revelation of just how unfit I was! I was determined to stick with the skipping and on the fifth day, after nine little sessions, I found that I had doubled my time and wasn’t heaving for breath! My respect for boxers – who I associate most with effortless skipping – has soared.

Recently we had a gathering for four generations of our family and I brought out the skipping rope – ostensibly to keep the children amused. It also proved to be a big hit with the young mums and dads trying to out-do each other with skipping skills. The older Nanas were teaching the little ones skipping rhymes – “I call in my very best friend…. etc” and it nearly ended in a crying match when the parents were deemed to be hogging the rope! Who’d have thought a skipping rope could provide so much amusement?

If you wish to follow a skipping fitness programme, We Are Training offer a free online circuit workout and you have a choice of 5, 10 or 15 minute sessions.
If you haven’t skipped in years, but you want to get a little fitter at your own pace, burn off some calories (and perhaps show-off to the younger generation), this is a smashing skipping rope to do it with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2015 8:01 AM BST

LE Solar Powered LED Motion Sensor Light, Wireless Night Light, Wall Light, Security Light for Door, Entrance, Pathways, Patios, Garden, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and simple to install outdoor light, 14 May 2015
This light was sent to me free of charge in return for an honest review.

The light was very easy to install - particularly in my case, because I just fitted the single screw to the woodwork above the door to my shed-type workshop, rather than fixing it to a brick wall. This took, literally, a minute or so, but there are clearly explained instructions - in both graphic and text format – to clarify things if required.
There is a recessed switch on the back of the unit, so simply move this to AUTO, hang it on the screw and leave the solar cell to charge. This takes around 8 hours for maximum efficiency – obviously, the sunnier the better. As night falls, the cell activates in a constant “dim” mode. This, switches to a brighter light when the motion sensor detects movement within 2-3 metres and a 90-degree angle. The extra brightness lasts for about 30 seconds after any motion has ceased, before dimming again. This was fine for my purposes, with sufficient dim light to see where I was going before being able to unlock the door with ease in the brighter mode. I purposely placed it at the apex to capture the most sunlight. This also minimised the bright mode being activated by lower-level nocturnal meandering badgers, foxes, etc.

The light looks flimsy at first glance, weighing only 5 grams, but this is deceptive. It is relatively sturdily, and is shock & vibration resistant. The front face is “arc” shaped, with the solar cell uppermost, while the LED produces 35 lumens from the lower section. It has a classification of IPX4, giving protection against solid objects down to 1mm - so not dust, but larger airborne particles. It also protects against dripping water - or splashing from any direction.
I am very pleased with this stylish light – with no energy costs, simple installation and just the occasional wipe-over for maintenance, it is worthy of the 5 stars I have given it.

Rexel Advance 240x190mm Subject Notebooks - Black (Pack of 5)
Rexel Advance 240x190mm Subject Notebooks - Black (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality notebooks that are functional and attractive., 14 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As soon as you see and feel these notebooks you can tell that they are a quality product. The ring binders are covered with a firm fabric and elasticated penholders are attached – there’s always someone at a meeting who has lost or forgotten their pen! The ring binders are large enough to open the notebooks out fully, so that they lie completely flat on a surface. The first page of the notebook - the blue section - has a full sized plastic holder with two inserts on one side and one on the other. This is perfect for keeping CDs, business cards, notes etc safe. In the middle of each notebook – the red divide – there is another plastic wallet. There are 100 lined pages in each book and the quality feels good enough for fountain pen use.

These notebooks are ideal for business and college lectures. They are also useful for hobbies and domestic use such as gardening notes, cooking/recipe collecting, books read/to be read lists, etc. Anyone with a ‘thing’ for stationary and notebooks will really like these; they are attractive, functional and a very nice set to have.

LE Solar Powered LED Motion Sensor Light, Wireless Night Light, Bright 16 LED Wall Light, Security Light for Door, Entrance, Pathways, Patios, Garden
Offered by Neon Mart

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault this very handy, money-saving light - I love it!, 12 May 2015
This light was sent to me free of charge in return for an honest and unbiased review.
The light arrived securely packed, complete with screws and plastic fixing anchors. It was very simple to install - with clear instructions in both graphic and text format – and took just five minutes to fit it firmly to brickwork. The lamp protrudes horizontally, with the solar cell pointing upwards to maximise daylight charging, but this also increases its exposure to rain. However, it is described as waterproof to IP65 standard, which means it is dust-tight and also protected from water squirted from a nozzle under pressure (such as a hosepipe), rather than just dripping or splashing water. Presumably, this is the reason for the on/off switch being located internally, because this can only be activated by inserting the supplied “loop pin” into the tiny hole on the underside. This is a good feature - and if the loop pin were accidentally lost, a bent paper clip would do the job just as well during the 6-monthy cleaning maintenance recommended by the manufacturer.

During the day the solar cell charges the set of 16 LEDs, then automatically activates to a dim light as night falls. This remains constant overnight, only switching to a brighter mode when the motion sensor detects movement within 2-3 metres. The extra brightness lasts for about 30 seconds after any motion has ceased, before dimming again.
We have a fairly narrow passageway where the bins are kept and I was fed up groping my way in the dark trying to guess which was a particular bin. This clever little light solved the problem, providing ample brightness at 100lm - with no energy costs. I’m really pleased with it. Within a couple of days of fitting it, we had several heavy downpours with hail and thunder, but any doubts about it being waterproof were dispelled. It was not affected at all and I feel that it is very worthy of a 5 star rating.

Our Souls at Night
Our Souls at Night
by Kent Haruf

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I were reading this again - for the first time., 10 May 2015
This review is from: Our Souls at Night (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every once in a while I read a book that is so good and leaves such a big impression that I find myself thinking of it long afterwards. This is one such book. There is no dramatic storyline, no dynamic dialogue and no in-depth descriptions. Dialogue is kept to a minimum and the two main characters are given only the briefest of physical detail. So what makes this book so special and so memorable?

In just a few pages, Kent Haruf describes the time and place of Holt County, Colorado so well that I could picture it in my mind’s eye. It takes a very gifted author to convey depths of emotion in so few words, whilst depicting life in a sleepy backwater town. This is a wonderful tale of two people in their 70s and a six-year-old boy; it is also a bittersweet story of disappointment, resignation, kindness and love. It is a gentle tale that has its moments of heartache and one that will both gladden and sadden you as the tale unfolds. It is not a predictable story.

I feel that whatever I write will not do this book justice; for all its lack of dramatic content, it kept me up reading till the very small hours and I really loved it. It is one of the best of the many good books I have read and I wish I were reading it again for the first time.

LE 6W GU10 LED Bulbs, Pack of 10 Units, 510lm, 75W Halogen Bulbs Equivalent,120°Beam Angle,Warm White, Flood Light, Floodlight

5.0 out of 5 stars Should make a big saving., 3 May 2015
These bulbs were sent to me free of charge in return for providing an honest and unbiased review.

The bulbs come in two packs of 5 units, are well packaged and easy to open.
I have a shed type workshop with ceiling-fitted light bars, each of which has four standard 50 watt GU10 spotlights to illuminate the workbenches. There are four of these light bar units, wired through two switches, such that 8 spots light up on each side. Although both sets are rarely switched on simultaneously, it still represents a minimum power consumption of 400 watts - possibly increased to 800 watts – and can be expensive.

The lamps have full head rotation, with no recessed housing, so it was simplicity itself to replace one side of my system (8 of the existing bulbs) with the energy-saving ones. The difference in lighting between the old and new bulbs on each side was very noticeable. The old spotlights tended to produce “pools” of light, while the halogen replacements gave a much more uniform distribution because of the 120 degree spread from each bulb. Also, because each bulb produced 510 lumens, the light was far brighter, yet easier on the eye and more pleasant to work with because they generate very little heat when shining down on the back of my neck!

As far as cost is concerned, the usual reasoning certainly applies here. Initially pretty expensive, but if the claimed 92% saving is anywhere near the mark, combined with a much longer life span, this is a no-brainer!
I am delighted with these excellent little bulbs and they are well worth a 5 star rating.

LE 9.5W Dimmable A60 E27 LED Bulbs, 60W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent, 750lm, Warm White, 2700K, LED Light Bulbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy saving dimmable soft white light., 29 April 2015
This bulb was sent to me free of charge in return for an honest and unbiased review.

The bulb comes well-protected in quality packaging which is easy to open - unlike most modern packaging.
This is a standard A60 E27 LED type, with an opaque bottom section and it screwed into the lamp socket smoothly and easily. The light is specified as "warm white", with a wide spread and - at 800 lumens - is certainly brighter than the original 60 watt table light it replaced - and it's cool to the touch. Although the light was brighter, it also seemed softer, if that makes sense, and I definitely preferred it to light emitted from the old 60 watt bulb.

This bulb was placed in a lamp with a dimming capability. Often, with this type of light, the dimmer switch produces a slight "flickering" at some settings due to the reduced range of power input to the bulb. With this bulb, it was insignificant and easily rectified with a little adjustment of the rotary switch.
Like most quality energy-saving bulbs, this one is initially a little expensive. However, with a stated A+ saving in electricity of over 80%, it should be much cheaper if it lasts anything like as long as the claimed 50,000 hours.

I am very pleased with this excellent product and feel that it is well worth a five star rating.

Palram Greenhouse Shade Kit
Palram Greenhouse Shade Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Dappled not frazzled greenhouse., 28 April 2015
This superb shading net was delivered this morning and within 20 minutes it was fixed to inside windows of my greenhouse! It comes supplied with two types of smart-lock connectors, depending on your type of greenhouse. I have an 8’ x 6’ greenhouse and the shading net fits from the central roof support, down along the sides to around 6” (un-stretched) from the floor. It completely covers the length of the greenhouse, with a few inches to spare. Fitting instructions are very good with picture diagrams and close-ups, should you need them.

In the past I used sachet powder mixes for shading, but it looked a bit unsightly and wasn’t easy to remove on cloudy days. Recently, I’ve had voile curtains hanging tenuously across various windows, but have lost seedlings when the sun moves position. With this shading, it allows 70% of the light in without frying my little shoots. If I wish to let maximum light in, I can roll the shade up from the bottom and anchor it to the higher windows, because the clips are easily removed from the frame.

I am thrilled to bits with this shading knowing that the sun isn't going to scorch the seedlings and plants. I hope this review helps if, like I was, you’re unsure whether to get shading or not.

Joseph Bentley Stainless Steel Transplanting Trowel
Joseph Bentley Stainless Steel Transplanting Trowel

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't come much better than this!, 27 April 2015
I am thrilled to bits with this trowel! Not only does it look beautiful and has a useful leather loop for hanging on a hook, it's extremely nice to use. The handle is moulded so well that it fits very comfortably in my hand. It is solidly made yet surprisingly light and would be good for those with arthritis or anyone who has a problem holding heavy hand tools.

I know that Joseph Bentley make a regular trowel, but I prefer this one for weeding because the soil in my garden is heavy clay and surrounded by trees. The pointed tip is just perfect for slicing through the soil and digging between plants. For precision planting, the trowel has clear, graded measurements etched into the steel surface from the tip to a depth of 10 cm (4").

I've been gradually replacing all of my garden hand tools with the Joseph Bentley range and I absolutely love them. Their good looks combined with comfortable handling, excellent performance and durable construction make them the number one choice for me.

LE 9.5W Dimmable A60 B22 LED Bulbs, 60W Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent, 750lm, Warm White, 2700K, Bayonet LED Light Bulbs

5.0 out of 5 stars A high quality energy saver., 27 April 2015
I was given this bulb in return for an honest review - this is my candid and unbiased opinion

The packaging of the bulb was very good, set in a quality cardboard box with a transparent window and - unlike some packaging - easy to open. The product specification was clearly displayed in both text and graphic format.
The bulb is a standard A60 B22 LED type, with an opaque bottom section. The bayonet fitting slotted smoothly into place in my lamp, without any need for firm pressure, unlike previous bulbs. Why this was so, I can't explain, but it was definitely a better fit and a relief not to feel that I was risking injury with the force normally required when inserting a bulb into this lamp.

The bulb emits a warm white light and the difference was quite considerable when compared to the original, standard 60 watt bulb. It was a much nicer, more gentle light, and at 750 lumens without any dimming - the appearance was brighter. The upper section of the bulb remains cool to the touch and doesn't give out heat. This is especially good for close work, or for reading in bed when you are already warm and don't need a lamp cooking your face!
The lower opaque section is significantly warmer, but my old bulb was like a furnace in comparison.
The dimmer function seems to work fine; there will nearly always be a level of “flickering” with this type of bulb, but this is dependent on the quality of the dimmer switch – not the bulb. In our case, it really was minimal and disappeared with a little adjustment of the rotary switch.

Overall, an excellent product and worthy of five stars. With an energy rating of A+ and an estimated lifespan of over 50,000 hours, the cost of the bulb should be recovered fairly quickly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20