Profile for N Fitz York > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Red Herring
Red Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 18 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Red Herring (App)
Fun game which allows you to set the difficulty level. Cute herring

What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye
What Are You Looking At?: 150 Years of Modern Art in the Blink of an Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, opened my eyes.., 30 July 2015
Thanks, Will. Entertaining, informative and joined all the dots between different art periods beautifully. Inspired me to read more about art and really opened my eyes. Now I (kind of) get it...

Punk Rock: An Oral History
Punk Rock: An Oral History

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit repetitive but otherwise a great history of punk, 27 Jun. 2015
Maybe a bit long but overall it's a really good look at punk including the years leading up to 76/77, the second wave of punk, the myriad splinter scenes and how punk has and still is influencing culture. The most poignant sentence is where it says that punk never changed the world but it did change how many people perceived the world.

Well worth the read.

Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness
Patient: The True Story of a Rare Illness

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking stuff, 19 July 2014
A `there but for the grace of God` tale. I really felt for Ben and if this book does nothing but make you thankful for your own good health, it`s well worth the read.

I Was a Potato Oligarch: Travels and Travails in the New Russia
I Was a Potato Oligarch: Travels and Travails in the New Russia

4.0 out of 5 stars An insight into modern Russia, 14 April 2014
A good story which at the same time gives you a taste of life for people in urban and rural Russia today.

Well written and well worth the read.

Sober Is My New Drunk: 850 Days (and Counting) without Booze or AA. A Comedy in Twelve Steps. (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly honest, 22 Sept. 2013
I bought this out of interest not as a self help book but think it works on both levels. It's an interesting insight into one man`s struggle with booze and how he sobered up but the message is that this isn't a cast iron, can't fail programme that is a panacea for every alcoholic but that you have to find out what works for you.

Planet Waves Guitar Rest
Planet Waves Guitar Rest

3.0 out of 5 stars Not massively stable, 14 Mar. 2013
I bought this as an alternative to a guitar stand and although the concept is great, the reality is you have to find a flat surface at the right height to use it and it's not massively stable.

I think it comes into its own when you're taking your gear to practice or a gig as it offers a neat way of providing a stable(ish) resting point without lugging a guitar stand and finding room for it on what are sometimes crowded areas.

It's had a habit of slipping around a bit so I'm not totally convinced but it does a job.

Russell Hobbs 14546 2000 W EasyFill Iron with 400 ml Water Tank
Russell Hobbs 14546 2000 W EasyFill Iron with 400 ml Water Tank

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy fill is not so easy..., 14 Mar. 2013
OK, it's an iron but as a modern man ironing in our family is my domain so when the old iron threw itself off the top of the fridge, I got to choose the new one.

I went for this model because it was in the right price range and was probably taken in by the easy fill feature. In reality, it's not that easy. It's really hard to see where the water level and there is no blue light on mine. So, I've ended up running out of water and then overfilling the iron. Anything but easy.

It's heavy (probably a good thing in an iron) and the lead is pretty long which is a real benefit.

Not bad but beware there's no such thing as an 'easy fill'
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 12:29 AM GMT

As They Slept
As They Slept

3.0 out of 5 stars Light reading but quite entertaining, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: As They Slept (Kindle Edition)
As the author says, it's no Chaucer but it's not the worst 77p I've ever spent (not sure what is).

But it's writing in an engaging style and a mix of trivial subject matte and a little pathos here and there.

Not sure I want to know about the next three months of commuting but for a bit of light relief between more serious reading matter you could do worse, so you never know.

Sealey BM24RS 24-Inch/600 mm Rubber Floor Squeegee with Wooden Handle
Sealey BM24RS 24-Inch/600 mm Rubber Floor Squeegee with Wooden Handle
Offered by Just off base

2.0 out of 5 stars It's massive and badly finished, 12 Feb. 2013
Have to say, I've been looking for a long handled squeegee for our wet room and although this is long handled, it is a bit big for a normal size wet room (maybe my fault for not paying enough attention to the dimensions). Having said that, the product is poorly finished, for example the support struts that are supposed to connect to the main handle are not connected at all and therefore offer not additional strength. I'd have returned it but it was just so big and unwieldy I couldn't face the hassle. If you need a squeegee this big, I can't see this standing up to much heavy use.

Page: 1 | 2