Profile for Miss I. Schafhauser > Reviews

Content by Miss I. Schafh...

Miss I. Schafhauser (England)

L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories
L.A. Noire: The Collected Stories

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails to set the tone., 8 Jun. 2011
So I really wanted to like this, because I am a great fan of the actual game & it has definitely opened me up to an entirely new scene. Needless to say, I was excited to download this (and I likely would've paid for it, too, unless I knew the quality of the stories).

I have read 7/8 so far, but five out of these have been weak. The kind of weak where the authors try to be something that they are not, making their writing style seem very sloppy and cliche... Unrefined, really. There's no real conclusion to most of the stories, save for maybe one or two. Most failed to catch the "noir" feel , either because they exaggerated or because it wasn't really interesting, whereas the other two I found passable since they reminded me of Richard Yates.

Overall, I'm really not impressed. Maybe I was expecting more (too much?) but I think that a literally typed version of the game would've been more satisfying.

Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny
Guild Wars: Edge of Destiny
by J. Robert King
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Never arrived., 13 Feb. 2011
So - nothing on the behalf of the quality of the book, however I ordered this and the other GW book for my boyfriend for Christmas, and they never arrived. Everything else I ordered arrived safe and sound, guess it's down to bloody Royal Mail.

Very disappointed anyhow.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2011 8:43 PM BST

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never buy another book., 13 Feb. 2011
So I'm a bit of a gadget nerd and I usually enjoy getting myself gadgets. When my boyfriend's mother bought a kindle for her husband she showed it me and I thought it was kind of cute, but I couldn't have expected to use it as much as I do. It's absolutely amazing.

I've finished 5 books since I got it in January 2011 (Before vat increase, mind) and I'm not a hardcore reader. It's probably more than I read in the past 5 years. It's comfortable, light, the page-turning is quick and you seem to turn pages more than you notice. For example, when I sometimes go back to check something I'd thought 3 pages back, it's actually 10 pages back.

I always scour Amazon for new reads: there's a big amount of titles at many prices (some classics are even free, which surprised me).

The text is very clear, adjustable in size and amount to your personal liking. Battery life is very efficient. I do suggest buying a light-attachment (I regret not doing it!) because it's not backlit: part of the reason why it's so easy on the eyes.

Some people have issues with freezes/resets - I have encountered this ONCE, but it isn't too hard to figure out where you left off if you're just aware what you read since you can navigate very easily. I think that it's a definite get even if you're not a heavy reader; it'll transform you into one.

Revolutionary Road (Vintage Classics)
Revolutionary Road (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant start for me., 8 Jan. 2011
I am so absorbed in this masterpiece I already fear for it to end. Halfway through in one day's worth of reading I have never witnessed a book so full of emotion with such a fast and natural pace. I was warned that this book was "excruciatingly slow", however I couldn't disagree less. The lives of the two characters and their surroundings are so enchanting, though in a very dark way - I would disagree with the people who says it's "unbearably depressing", because it is very bearable and VERY much worth it.

The characters are amongst the best I have ever read about, and I feel a very strong relation to both of them. I keep going on and on and on about this book to my poor partner, because this is DEFINITELY a read.

I recently started reading again after I got my kindle for christmas, having not done so in over 5 years, and this has been such a good start for me that the little reading device seems to have been glued into my hands. I absolutely love this book.

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too amazed., 2 Jan. 2011
Well, I nearly bought this item, but decided to try a sample first - even if the book is only £1.

I must say I liked the sound of the story, but the way it is written put me off entirely. I'm not a fan of strict, frozen language - but using "tho" instead of "though" just comes across as illiterate rather than giving the narrative character substance. I could immediately tell it's directed to a younger teenage audience, which left me somewhat disappointed as the "Children of men" plot really intrigues me.

Giving it a 3 because it is obviously not what I was out for, but might be a good read for younger people.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 4:04 PM BST

Uprising (The Fall of Haven Book 1)
Uprising (The Fall of Haven Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing but lacking in language., 31 Dec. 2010
The only thing that keeps me from giving this a full 5 star review is the language. It sometimes stumbles upon itself with mistakes that should have been edited out during proof reading, such as "an dark apparatus" (IIRC) - I think there was one about shined/shone but after reading [...] I am not bothered enough to think hard about it. This isn't really something that hinders the reading process, as it is an excellent piece that I feverishly hope will keep at the same brilliant levels of innovation.

For people that are familiar with the terms... the language errors can be elaborated to "copy-paste common roleplaying phrases", but I'm not sure a lot of people will get this. The opening prologue didn't really spur me to read on as the few characters seem a bit cliche and unrealistic, but it didn't drag on enough to put me off entirely - and so I am glad. The opening chapter after the first few pages about the anonymous creature boy really put me in an interesting atmosphere.

I have read about 6% on my kindle, this being the first book I actually purchased and first book I started reading (apart from a few samples I downloaded). I must say that I am loving the setting that is being portrayed, the characters and the skill at which the author handles the POV-swaps.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who feels like taking a step into a very alternative, dark but impressive world.

Spellwright (The Spellwright Trilogy, Book 1)
Spellwright (The Spellwright Trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing but huried, 30 Dec. 2010
I am not normally a high fantasy fatasy fan but decided to try a sample of this. Very refreshing and innovative but a lot of spaces are missing inbetween words or utturances. Not bad enough to ruin the experience but ought to be proof read as it damages his professionalism. The author often assumes that the reader understands the terms used, making it a tad confusing but doesn't ruin the experience. I suggest you try the sample but personally I am unsure I want to spend £7 as I am on quite a budget atm. Best of luck and enjoy this charming piece of writing, some ideas are lovely!