Profile for Ava and Brianna @ Always Books > Reviews

Content by Ava and Briann...

Ava and Brianna @ Always Books

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Searching For Beautiful
Searching For Beautiful
by Nyrae Dawn

4.0 out of 5 stars Great message, 6 April 2016
I’ve had Searching for Beautiful on my kindle forever and it’s one of those stories that I wish I had read sooner. First and foremost, I really enjoyed the storyline; Brynn had a lot going on and her particular set of circumstances was unique. It was this in particular that captured my interest and had me reading on.

I thought Nyrae Dawn portrayed Brynn’s character realistically; she had captured the true emotions and thoughts of a confused and heartbroken teenager, even down to the smallest details such as being self absorbed and huffy! It added authenticity to Brynn’s personality.

I loved the message of this story, and it was made even sweeter by the fact Nyrae
Dedicated this book to her two daughters. I hope teens who find themselves struggling with loving themselves will pick up this book and realise they don’t need a boyfriend or popular girls in school to validate them as a person. The only opinion that counts is your own.

“I want to fight, for myself, for others, to be happy. To see all the beautiful in the world and to find it in my own. Not to wait for someone like Jason to give it to me. I can be my own beautiful.”

Christian’s character was the ray of sunshine the story needed and his mum brought a nurturing element to the story also. I really enjoyed the friendship Brynn formed with Christian and I loved her character development. It really was a heart warming, young adult book with real, relatable subjects.

“It’s funny how life moves in a complete circle sometimes. There might be lots of bumps in the road and maybe even a few cliffs, but it’s a journey, and sometimes it can bring you to the most wonderful places.”

*Copy received for an honest review.*

This One Moment (Pushing Limits)
This One Moment (Pushing Limits)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start to a new series, 5 April 2016
This One Moment is a second chance romance with a hot rocker and a girl who got left behind.

First off, I enjoyed the writing of this story. I wanted to read a book by this author for some time. The stars had aligned and I finally got to read my first Stina Lindenblatt book. The writing was easy to read and the characters were likeable. The plot took an unexpected suspense turn and that added an area of interest.

For me, the story was good. However, as I reached the end I couldn’t help but want more. I wanted to be really gripped by the characters. I wanted to fall head over heels for Nolan, or even understand him. I got the pain he was experiencing and I did like that Hailey was the one helping him confront his past, I just wasn’t on board with his prior and present treatment towards her.

This One Moment will appeal to fans of sexy rock stars, but also readers who like a bit of mystery added to their romance. It’s a perfect read for a lazy afternoon.

A Better Man: A Sunshine Creek Vineyard Novel
A Better Man: A Sunshine Creek Vineyard Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Small town romance with big city flair., 1 April 2016
Candis Terry is an author I’ve been meaning to read for a while now, or more specifically since two years ago when I found myself in an elevator with her during RT (true story). Therefore, I’m so glad I finally got the chance to read her work.

A Better Man was more than a small town romance. I loved the fact Jordan brought the big city living back to his hometown and he ruffled a few feathers in doing so. There was also a mystery element along with the romance that I enjoyed and of course there was the great big family that accompanied Jordan. Each brother and his sister brought about questions of their own and I hadn’t even made it halfway through Jordan’s book when I found myself wanting the rest of the Kincades’ stories.

I liked the fact Lucy and Jordan had some history, this had me rooting for them immediately, add this to the fact Jordan was determined to right his wrongs of the past and I was all in.

A Better Man was full of romance, it definitely was a guilty pleasure of mine. I love stories that I can read in one sitting and just fall in the moment with the couple. Sure, there were times when Jordan seemed too good to be true, and I probably did question his actions at times, but do you know what? I wanted to escape for a few hours and this book provided that completely.

Some threads aren’t wrapped up at the end of this book and this pleased me, because I will definitely be reading the next story to find out the answers to my questions.

This was a sweet, swoony romance and one I recommend. - Ava xx

*Copy received for an honest review.*

More Than a Feeling (Heart of the Rockies Book 4)
More Than a Feeling (Heart of the Rockies Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this one, just what I was after., 1 April 2016
“You’re the one who’ll change this world,...” she’d said. “You’re the one who’ll use that hurt in your heart to heal someone else’s.”

More Than a Feeling was my first book by Sara Richardson. I’m also getting braver in my reading endeavours and it didn’t bother me that this book was #3 in the series. It works well as a standalone and doesn’t give much away about the previous couples which means I’m interested in going back to discover their own stories.

“Every time he saw Kaylee he remembered what he’d lost. But Ruby’s touch had reached out and pulled him from the past. And now he remembered he still had a future to gain.”

Both Ruby and Sawyer were likeable characters. I liked that they both had their own issues to work through. Sawyer’s circumstances tugged at my heartstrings and I thought this part of the storyline was written really well. I also felt protective of Ruby and again, her authenticity came across in the author’s writing.

“At last...my love has come along...my lonely days are over...
Humming it to herself, she knew she’d give anything—even all her secrets—to be able to say that someday.”

Even though I was expecting more drama surrounding the climax of the story, it did work well and perhaps it was a good thing that it wasn’t blown out of proportion. It was in keeping with the overall theme of the book.

This book had everything I was expecting a small town romance to have. It included an interesting cast of supporting characters, endearing protagonists and a sweet ending. The book was low on the heat level and that worked for me. The romance between the two characters was evident throughout the story and I liked that this was able to shine through without the risk of the physical side over shadowing it.

“His touch brought her somewhere else, made her feel like someone else. Someone whole and unbreakable. The person she’d always wanted to be.”

I really enjoyed More Than a Feeling, it was exactly the type of book I was looking for and allowed me to escape reality for a few hours. I definitely recommend it to other small town romance lovers. - Ava xx

*Copy received for an honest review.*

Unstoppable: Number 3 in series (A Country Roads Novel)
Unstoppable: Number 3 in series (A Country Roads Novel)
by Shannon Richard
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 small town romance stars, 26 Mar. 2016
3.5 Stars.

I’m on a bit of a small town romance kick at the moment and Unstoppable was an enjoyable read. I liked schoolteacher Melanie; smart girls are always a fav of mine. I liked the way in which her relationship with Bennett was already set up; they were both clearly attracted to each other. The courtship was cute yet it nearly drove me as mad as it did Melanie because Bennett needed to make a move and soon!

I enjoyed the flow of the writing and the small town setting worked well. I loved the community feel and also, the side characters that were introduced. The roles were almost reversed in the relationship and I liked this to an extent but near the end, I did want to shake some sense into Bennett. I understood what he was going through, but I needed him to come to his senses sooner!

With that being said, I enjoyed Unstoppable. It was a sweet read with a cast of likeable characters. It can be read as a standalone but whilst you’re visiting Mirabelle, you might as well enjoy your stay and catch up with the others! ~ Ava xx

A Thousand Boy Kisses
A Thousand Boy Kisses

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 sweet, sweet stars., 17 Mar. 2016
“I’ll give you a thousand kisses, Poppymin. All of them. No one will kiss you ever, but me.”

My favourite thing about a Tillie Cole book has to be the characters she creates. I love their uniqueness, their idiosyncrasies but most of all their heart.

I knew going into ATBK it was going to be an emotional ride, so much so, I almost put off reading it...almost. I’m so glad I plucked up the courage to dive in. I was transported to a world of young love, a world of firsts and a world of forever.

“I heard your heart’s song, and yours heard mine.”

Rune and Poppy’s story was romantic. The words on the page were full of love and swoon-worthy moments. Tillie’s prose was flawless; the pacing was how it should have been and my eyes definitely filled with tears. I won’t say much more about the book. You have to go in with an open heart and fall for Rune and Poppy the way I did—wholeheartedly.

“We’d had this moment. We had this memory. She had her kiss. And I had her love.”

I love when a book has a ‘thing,’ you know, something memorable and in ATBK it was the Mason jar. I loved the theme, the purpose and the fact the whole story revolved around it. I did feel Poppy and Rune acted older than their seventeen years, but this could be explained with their life experiences. I liked the way in which Tillie brought Rune back to himself, it wasn’t an overnight fix but with Poppy by his side, it was easy for him to find his way out of the darkness and into her light.

We were treated to an unexpected epilogue and let me say this; I think it depends on your own experiences as to how you receive it. For me personally, the story would have had a greater impact if in fact, I hadn’t read it. But it was a final message from the author and I get what she was trying to do. Again, I stress each person will take from it something different.

If young adult isn’t typically your kind of read, then don’t assume you won’t like this book. Trust me, you will love it. Take a chance today and discover a sweet, moving, magical love story. ~Ava xx

“Always say yes, Rune. Always say yes to new adventures.”

Beautiful Boss (The Beautiful Series)
Beautiful Boss (The Beautiful Series)
by Christina Lauren

4.0 out of 5 stars A real life HEA for my fav couple, 12 Mar. 2016
Oh Will and Hanna, how I love thee. I could read about this couple every day. I mean, seriously, if Christina and Lauren would just document Will and Hanna’s day-to-day activities for me that would be super! (Because you do know this couple is real, right?)

So, what was my favourite thing about this novella? Aside from the great writing, hilarious cast of characters and it being all about Will and Hanna, well it was the authenticity of the storyline. It would have been so easy to give us a neat HEA for Will and his Plum, but that’s not CLo’s style and I love them for this. Beautiful Boss was about Will and Hanna beginning their married life together, and you know what? Life is hard, it was before they were married and it will continue to be after. Only Christina and Lauren could capture that so hilariously, so sweetly and so sexily!!

This was a perfect bonus to keep us going until the last and final book in the series (noooooo! I hear you cry.) I look forward to Jensen’s story but now, most of all; I look forward to more Will and Hanna!!

P.s I’m off to use Google earth to discover where Will and Hanna are now living, I need to work out exactly how far they are from the rest of the gang. I need to know they will be ok. Because you know, they are very much real to me! <3

Thank you to Christina and Lo for making it easy for me to love you both so much. ~ Ava xx

With Ties That Bind: A Broken Bonds Novel, Book One
With Ties That Bind: A Broken Bonds Novel, Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy. Thrilling. Tantalising., 28 Feb. 2016
Sexy. Thrilling. Tantalising.

Trisha Wolfe brings her A game once again.

I’ve rediscovered my love for crime novels, it’s where my reading obsession began—I love the thrill of guessing ‘whodunit’, add in Trisha’s flawless writing and it’s a match made in heaven for me.

“Ignorance of our own fractured existence is bliss.”

With Ties That Bind must be read after the With Visions of Red trilogy but don’t worry, it’s absolutely worth the read. Avery played an integral role in the third part of the story and thus begins her own journey. I loved learning more about Avery’s character; the way in which her story intertwines with WVoR is so clever. I had to go back and reread the ending of Sadie’s story, as my mind couldn’t keep up with the revelations! The storyline gives your brain a workout in the best possible way.

“I don’t want to be your hero, Avery. You don’t need saving. But I do regret not being able to protect you—to show you right then in that moment that I’d take on the world to keep you safe.”

Quinn is the sexy cop in this scenario and he plays his part very well (these books play like a movie in my head when I read them) but his mind is all over the place. He struggles to keep his relationship with Avery professional; he has unresolved drama with Sadie going on, and not to mention he has some bad guys to catch!

Avery and Quinn’s story starts off gentle, it’s like a slow sensual dance, one that poor Quinn’s nether regions is very well aware of! I thought this worked well for the couple and I especially loved the difference between their relationship and Sadie and Colton’s, after all, they are entirely different people.

My favourite part of this story, aside from the great writing and interesting characters, is the storyline. My mind was racing, trying to place all the pieces together. I love when a story can do that and I cannot wait for the next instalment! Ava xx

*copy received for an honest review.*

The Revenger
The Revenger

4.0 out of 5 stars The Revenger was a well-written story about love, loss and sacrifice., 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Revenger (Kindle Edition)
“I’m a mom without reason. I’m a person without a life. I’m dead with no escape.”

The Revenger is nothing like Debra Anastasia has written before and I mean that in a positive way! From the very first page I felt the depth of Savvy’s loss. I understood her barely there existence and her need for it to cease. Debra’s writing sucked me in and I knew this book was going to be unpredictable but great all the same.

I loved the idea of ‘The Revenger’, think KickAss but with a killer set of heels. I was pleasantly surprised the book had a paranormal element, it added to the story and Savvy’s character. I loved when she became The Revenger. I could feel her strength and the power she regained, it was when she truly came back to life.

I must say the main focus of this story isn’t romance, I know it may be advertised as such, but don’t go into it thinking you’re going to meet a couple you will be rooting for. Personally, I didn’t mind that. I was too busy cheering for Savvy to care about anything else (although if she had gotten together with Boston that would’ve been fine with me). I liked that Debra tried something a little bit different and even though I hated Silas from the moment he was introduced (the sign of a great villain), I get what the author was trying to achieve during his interactions with Savvy, it just doesn’t mean I had to like it!

The Revenger was a well-written story about love, loss and sacrifice. If you are a fan of superheroes, paranormal thrillers or great characterisation then you need to give this one a go!

*copy received for an honest review.* ~Ava

Built (Saints of Denver, Book 1)
Built (Saints of Denver, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed their connection but still liked the story, 16 Feb. 2016
I had been looking forward to Zeb and Sayer’s story ever since their chemistry began to sizzle during Rowdy’s book. Zeb is a big guy with muscles, tattoos and a beard, I mean what isn’t there to love? He was rough and ready and I was looking forward to the stark contrast between him and Miss Prim and Proper Sayer.

I must admit when the story began I felt like I was dropped into the middle of it, almost as if Zeb and Sayer’s beginnng was missing. I knew they had previously met but I expected to live the beginning of their relationship, unfortuantely Zeb’s sexy handyman refurb skills were skimmed over so that the real story could begin. I do get why this needed to happen, the meaty part of the story had to take presidence but I did feel as if I missed out on Zeb and Sayer’s connection. I felt the attraction, but didn’t really get to explore the why, other than the physical.

The storyline was an unexpected one, but given Sayer’s profession it made absolute sense. I did love Zeb’s determination to right his wrong and repent for his past mistakes and I loved the fact Sayer was in his corner from day one but again, I felt some elements were rushed or skimmed over. Zeb didn’t have time to process this bombshell before it was full steam ahead.

Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy Built. It had the elements of a classic Jay Crownover book; a hot, tatted hero and a vulnerable yet strong heroine. I loved reading about the world Jay created, and Zeb’s kindness and authority had me swooning repeatedly. My only wish was to really feel the connection between Zeb and Sayer before the drama engulfed their relationship. With that being said, it was another well written, swoony book from Jay and worth a read!

*Copy recieved for an honest review.*

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20