Profile for K. Z. Sobol > Reviews

Content by K. Z. Sobol
Top Reviewer Ranking: 516

K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Gauntlet
The Gauntlet
by Ronald Welch

4.0 out of 5 stars Not only a book for boys - my girls have caught the history bug!, 9 April 2015
This review is from: The Gauntlet (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love reading books to my girls at bedtime and whilst I was personally looking forward to reading this book, I wasn't sure whether the style, language or the subject would be to my girls' taste. I didn't prepare them for the story, but they loved it from the beginning, telling me that it was so different from most stories that we read.

My daughters were gripped by the idea that a boy could find a gauntlet in a field and be transported back in time. The themes that arose within the story, brought up all sorts of discussions about the way that people lived in the 14th century, which has been really interesting and has certainly sparked a renewed interest in visiting castles and learning about history amongst my children, which is only to be encouraged.

Although the book was written in the same year as their Grandma was born, my girls didn't seem phased by the "modern day" staging of the book, which was actually 1951, perhaps because of the starker contrast with the historical scenery. If you have girls, don't assume that this is only a book for boys, it certainly isn't, as my girls have loved it from beginning to end.

Philips hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp
Philips hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful dynamic colour effects in a simple bowl-shaped lamp, 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely bowl-shaped table lamp, which after charging for 1.5 hours, can be used wirelessly for up to 3 hours, or can be left plugged in for longer use.

The controls are via on simple button at the bottom of the bowl. Single clicks take you through the pre-set colour settings: Warm white light, Natural white light, Cosy candle, Sunday Coffee, Meditation, Enchanted Forest and Night Adventure. The first two settings are constant light settings, but the rest are themed settings, which take you through a smooth variation in harmonious colours.

Alternatively, you can scroll through the colour spectrum with a double-click and hold and when you come across the colour you are looking for, you release the button and it will be fixed (until you want to change it again).

It's easy to switch the light off, again using the button on the bottom of the lamp, just holding for 2 seconds, which puts it into sleep mode. After 2 hours in sleep mode, the lamp with switch off automatically to save energy. To switch off fully, you need to press and hold the button on the bottom for 10 seconds until it blinks twice.

The brightness of the lamp is different when the lamp is connected to the mains or when it is running on battery power. Mains power will give 100% brightness, but to extend the amount of time that the lamp can run on the battery, the brightness dims to 40%. Having said that - the colour is great using either.

I don't have the hue bridge, so I can't comment on how well it works with the bridge, but considering that this allows you even great control and options, I would think it would be deeply impressive. As it is, as a stand-alone lamp, I love it and it's great in my girls' bedroom, for a flickering candle nightlight, rather than the iridescent glow of many of the children's nightlights around! In the evenings, they light their bedroom in all sorts of shades - allowing their imaginations full run - the Enchanted forest for stories about fairies and elves, Meditation for maritime adventures etc.

Oversize Leaf Scoops *Lifetime Guarantee* Superior Quality Multipurpose Hand Held Rakes, Ideal for Fast Leaf and Lawn Grass Removal - An Excellent Hand Held Helper, Perfect Rubbish Loaders and Collectors of Sharp Items. Get the Best Grabber Tools on Amazon Today!
Offered by Releaf™

5.0 out of 5 stars Super scoops - solid construction, without being heavy - great for tidying up your fallen leaves, 31 Mar. 2015
These are great oversized hand scoops for use in the garden for collecting leaves, grass or whatever else you fancy. The scoops fit easily over my hands and my husband, who has big hands, can also use these comfortably, so they really are one-size fits all and it means that I don't have to take off my gardening gloves before putting these one, which is handy.

The scoops are good quality - feeling solid, without feeling heavy and they really do speed up the job of shifting garden debris into our garden up and getting it onto our compost heap. The scoops fit into one another and hand neatly from a hook in our shed.

I received these scoops in order that I could provide an honest review.

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, well-shaped mouse, but a few of the buttons are a bit awkward, 31 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mouse has been designed to be a natural fit for the hand and unlike a standard smaller mouse, it is more supportive on the hand and wrist to use and you can feel the difference straight away.

There are two scroll wheels, one on the top, which either gradually click by click, moves you down the page, or with a quick flick, the wheel freewheels and will take you down to the bottom (or you can stop it partway with your finger). The quick flick works quite well for me when spinning the wheel towards me, but I find it harder to spin it away from me (flicking away from me) to get it to freewheel, but I'm sure with practise I will crack it. The second scroll wheel is on the side of the mouse and is operated with your thumb and this allows you to scroll from left to right and back again, which is useful on occasion when you want to view wider pages/landscape documents.

There are the standard left and right click buttons on the top of the mouse either side of the central scroll wheel and there are also clever page forward and page back buttons on the side of the mouse, which are very useful once you get into the habit of using them.

Finally you can program your mouse with gestures which are activated by pressing the gesture button under your thumb and then moving the mouse forwards, backwards, left or right. I found that these movements were fairly unnatural and unwieldy, so I don't think that I will be using these on the whole.

The mouse is easy to charge with the enclosed USB cable and takes a relatively short time to charge and claims to last for up to 40 days without needing recharging (time will tell). There are three little lights along the side which indicate how much battery life is left, so that you can ensure that the mouse is recharged should you be taking it away from a power source with a laptop for example.

I have connected the mouse to my PC via the Unifying receiver (which is one of the USB port tiny little buttons, which you can leave permanently plugged in. I am currently having my Windows 8 laptop repaired, but when I have it back, I am hopeful that it has Bluetooth Smart technology. The online guide assures me that I just need to open my laptop's Device Manager and look for Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator - if it is there, it is compatible. If it isn't, I shall get another unifying receiver instead, but I imagine that Bluetooth Smart technology must be the new thing to have - but as an amateur I really don't understand how or why this is different from Bluetooth, but the manual is clear that this is not Bluetooth compatible, only Bluetooth Smart compatible.

You can therefore pair this device with a number of different computers and can choose on the bottom of the mouse which one you are connecting with - really simple.

I also like that the laser is really sensitive and can cope even on glass surfaces as one of our offices has a glass table and most mice won't work on it - this one, I am pleased to say, really does.

Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator
Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Great natural way to increase airflow - ideal for preganancy stuffiness, 30 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this to help me to breathe when resting and active at home. I have very narrow nostrils and nasal passages and the slightest cold means that I revert to breathing out of my mouth until I have taken some medication to help unblock.

During pregnancy, I suffer from a stuffed up nose most of the time, which I understand is due to the increase in oestrogen, which causes swelling in the mucous membrane of the lining of the nose (sorry if too much information) and I can't take anything medicinal to help ease the congestion due to the risks in pregnancy, so this is a real help.

The device is basically an orange rubbery two pronged thing, which gently pushes the upper part of my nostrils outwards, thereby increasing the size of my nasal passages and allowing more air to pass and helps me to breathe, either whilst exercising or just whilst resting.

It is very easy to insert, but I find it a bit fiddly to remove, but I am getting more practiced at hooking it out! There is a little blue carry-case which keeps it safe after you have washed it, ready for the next use.

I know that later in my pregnancy, I am more likely to start snoring and I will have this on hand when my husband complains to try and improve that!

Gusti Leather Genuine Handbag Satchel Purse Shoulder Cross Body Vintage Hobo Leisure City Shopping Bag Women Brown K56b

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly smelly - even after airing for a number of weeks - have had to move it to the loft!, 29 Mar. 2015
It's a lovely looking bag, but the smell of goat is rather overpowering! I received this as a gift and unfortunately I haven't been able to use it at all - we have had to banish it to the attic, in the hopes that it can lose some of its odour over time, but sadly I fear that this bag may never see the light of day!

I was so disappointed and wish there had been some guidance on how to get rid of the smell, I thought that the smell would dissipate after a day or two, but even after a couple of weeks in the spare room (before being banished to the roof) it was still overpowering and the room took some airing afterwards as well.

LEGO Elves 41074: Azari and the Magical Bakery
LEGO Elves 41074: Azari and the Magical Bakery

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely new range of Lego Elves - huge hit with my 7 and 8 year old girls., 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughters aged 7 and 8, both love Lego and they love the fact that there is a new range, which seems to be perfectly aimed at them. Both of my girls love Lego Friends and Lego City as well as the Lego Movie sets and the new Lego Princess kits (Elsa's Ice Palace has been a huge hit as you might well imagine) and it does seem that Lego are trying to expand their market away from solely girl or boy orientated toys and trying to find some middle ground. This set almost does that, although it does feel a little bit like an enchanted world version of Lego Friends.

My girls thought that the whole set was magical and they watched the mini movie about the Lego Elves and Emily Jones and that helped them to understand the back story, that the sets are all based around the search for magical keys. This set features Azari Firedancer and Flamey the fox, together with a male Elf, called Johnny Baker. The colours of the brick are a nice contrast to the very "girly" colours of Lego Friends, although there are touches of pink and purple alongside the orange, yellow, green, beige, brown and greys - which give a good natural feel with mystical touches.

There is lots of scope for imaginative play with these characters and this set - there are plenty of little accessories for the characters to interact with including the slot for the bread to bake and come out, the moving rolling pin and the hiding place for the magical key.

All in all a really lovely new range and a great new set - my girls can build it with ease, either together or individually and they love to build, play, dismantle and rebuild. Lots of fun to be had.

Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL3 Wireless Speaker System (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of inital faff to set up, but great speaker for wireless streaming or plugging into tv/computer for better sound!, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like many other reviewers, I found the very initial stages of setting this speaker system up a bit tricky - getting the right combination of touch button presses to update the firmware on the system (a must before you do anything else - trust me!). The first time you set up, it's a bit of a fiddle to find the AllPlay Network and connect it with my home wifi network - but once set up it has remembered it every time.

I have used the speaker system to play Spotify Premium, AllPlay Radio and to stream the music I have downloaded already on my tablet and I am delighted with both the speed of set up (after the initial faff, I was relieved that it's all very quick and easy thereafter) and also the quality of the sound. I wasn't sure looking at the speaker how well it would transmit around my living room, but I was really surprised. I tried classical, pop, rock and all manner of other genres and all of them sounded great. I couldn't put it up to full volume for fear of the neighbours complaining, but it is safe to say that it gives a really clear sound and it is easy to use.

I have also tried using this to connect to my PC for when I am watching films or programmes on demand and this is very easy to set up using an aux cable in the back and plugging into my headphone socket - literally plug and play. Much better sound (naturally) than my weedy computer speakers - it means that I can really immerse myself into programmes streamed on the computer when the rest of the family are using the main television!

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use (after initial faff of set up) and great crisp, clear sound, 25 Mar. 2015

Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fraser Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Cruel and Unusual Punishment, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Field Punishment No.1 [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This film depicts the journey of conscientious objectors during the First World War, shipped out to compel them to take up arms or to silence them one way or another.

Having seen plenty of films in recent years which tell heart-warming stories of tales of comradery even in the face of battle, this is in stark contrast to that - showing the ways that war can make men view brutality as normal, where men are repeatedly and cruelly tortured with the aim of getting them to fight "like everybody else", where personal opinion is not held as valid by many of the officers, but the bravery of the men who refuse to fight clearly negates the sterotype that they are merely cowards.

This isn't the glossiest of productions and I have no issues with that. I wouldn't say that it is award-winning acting or script - but the story in itself is more than enough to keep you gripped from beginning to end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20