Profile for K. Z. Sobol > Reviews

Content by K. Z. Sobol
Top Reviewer Ranking: 491

K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aqua Sphere Kaiman Exo Regular Fit Clear Swimming Goggles - Blue/White
Aqua Sphere Kaiman Exo Regular Fit Clear Swimming Goggles - Blue/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Best feature is the field of vision and the lack of fog!, 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Speedos since childhood and 9 times out of 10, I buy my children Zoggs and although I have bought many pairs of goggles over the years, I haven't really had any experience of Aqua Spheres before now - I have probably seen them on a shelf when shopping, but I haven't really thought to try them as I didn't know whether they would be good/bad/indifferent.

The goggles come in a handy plastic case, should you wish to protect them rather than just throwing them in with your swimming bag. I like the blue and white colours of the goggles, although less excited by the orange Aquasphere logos at the outer corner of each lens, but they aren't terrible by any means. The goggles are made in Italy and the style feels quite European, which is quite an interesting look, which I quite like. There are some good features about these goggles, the rubber is malleable, without being weak and soft, so that the fit around my eyes is comfortable and snug at the same time, giving a great fit; the straps are really easy to adjust; they have the dual strap at the back of your head so that unlike goggles I had years and years ago, the strap doesn't try and ping up and off or down and back from the rounded part of the back of your skull! However, all of these things aside, the best features by far is the visibility - both in terms of the field of vision - pretty much 180 vision and also the lenses don't fog up easily.

I am really pleased with these goggles and I hope that they continue to perform well over many months (and years) to come

DBPOWER LinkclockⅠ White LCD Rechargeable Alarm Clock Battery Smart Backlight with Auto Intelligent light Set, Three Alarm Modes, Snooze Mode, Indoor Temperature/Date Display
Offered by MyStore365

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable-free clock charged by USB with clever light-sensitive display, 2 Sept. 2015
This clock looks deceptively simple - a white cube with a digital display, showing the time, but also the date and the temperature, all of which are easy to set using the buttons at the rear of the clock.

The particularly clever aspects of this clock are:

1. The power supply (you charge it with a USB cable and it lasts for an amazingly long time (considering it isn't usually connected to anything and doesn't need AA batteries to run. Having been using this clock over the whole summer, I can confirm that the clock is still running on its initial charge with no sign of running out of juice - we will just have to wait and see whether it lives up to its 1 year claims, but I would imagine that it will be less as my children like to set the alarm and illuminate it by touching the top, even when not strictly necessary!

2. The light-sensitive display, which as the ambient light levels drop, it causes the backlight to switch on. I must confess that I haven't watched it steadily, but in my children's room, when the bedside light is on, there is no backlight and when I switch it off, it automatically lights up in the dark. My children love this as their previous alarm clock required you to press a button to light it up, which they found difficult to locate easily in the dark and ended up waking themselves up too early in the effort to determine the time! This allows a quick glance before closing their eyes again and the glow of the light doesn't disturb them at all - if anything they are reassured by it.

Overall we are very pleased with the alarm clock, which we received free of charge to for test and review purposes. No attempt was made to influence my review - this is my honest opinion.

Garnier Ultimate Blends Nourishing Repairer Shampoo 400 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ultimate Blends Nourishing Repairer Shampoo 400 ml - Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for very dry and damaged hair, 1 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Garnier Ultimate Blends shampoo is especially for very dry and damaged hair and I have very long hair and the ends in particular get very dry and damaged.

The shampoo is a shimery gold colour and it gets quite creamy when you lather it in yoir hair, but rinses out reasonably easily. The scent is creamy and warm without being too sweet and lasts well throughout the day.

My hair feels very soft after using this shampoo and even more so with the matching conditioner. My hair feels like it has more body too, which isn't particularly advertised, other than that it nourishes hair root to tip.

It is well worth checking the prices of 250ml multi-pack and the 400ml multi-pack as at the time of writing this review is significanly cheaper to buy the larger bottle multi-pack, making it much better value!

Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Sleek Restorer Shampoo 250 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Sleek Restorer Shampoo 250 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth checking the difference in prices between 250ml multipack and 400ml multipack, 31 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the Garnier Ultimate Blends range and this version for restoring the sleekness to your hair is for people, like me with dry hair which is susceptible to frizziness and in the British climate, this is no bad thing!

So before even trying it, I liked the claims it was making, but not all shampoos do what they claim to. The shampoo lathers creamily and you don't need to use loads (or it takes quite a while to rinse out), but it does make my hair feel soft (but not flyaway), it does feel quite smooth, smoother than before washing, but I don't know whether it's the best smoothing shampoo I've ever tried. I still use my Frizz-ease serum, but maybe slightly less than usual.

The shampoo smells sweet and it's quite a powerful scent, so can be smelt on my hair long after washing (my girls smell my hair and try and work out what it smells of - generally they say honey and chocolate - so it is really sweet) I am really pleased that this shampoo is paraben-free, I hope all beauty products are soon!

You can get 6 packs of the 250ml bottles or the 400ml bottles - actually at the moment it's only £1 more expensive to buy the 400ml bottles in a multipack, which is obviously much better value,so it is worth checking the prices of both. Personally I would recommend trying a single bottle of the shampoo for yourself before buying in bulk in case the fragrance isn't for you or the shampoo doesn't have the desired effect on your hair.

Mr Men (Vintage Beeb)
Mr Men (Vintage Beeb)
by Roger Hargreaves
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete blast from the past! I love it!, 29 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Mr Men (Vintage Beeb) (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(Review for the Audio CD Version)

I was so excited to see that they had made the original recordings narrated by Arthur Lowe available on audio CD, as my Grandmother had this record on LP as well as the second volume, but the first record, this one, was my favourite.

It features 6 stories, read (and chuckled along with) by that iconic voice (best known to those who haven't heard it, as the voice of Captain Manwaring from Dad's Army) and the stories are some of the most famous Mr Men character's original stories - Mr Funny, Mr Dizzy, Mr Bump, Mr Fussy, Mr Topsy-Turvy and Mr Small. The CD runs for 45 minutes, but each story is just 6 or 7 minutes long, so you can listen to it in short bursts or all at once easily.

The CD looks great too - in a simple single disc case, with the original artwork on the front cover and the disc itself has been printed to look like an LP and even has the feel of the grooves on the disc, again, just like an LP.

If you grew up listening to the LP, you will love this - it's a complete blast from the past - I can almost smell my grandmother's living room as I listen! If you haven't heard it before - this is a great value children's audio CD - great stories, well read and kids (or kids at heart) love it!

L'Oreal Garnier Skin Naturals 2-in-1 Eye Make-Up Remover - 125 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Skin Naturals 2-in-1 Eye Make-Up Remover - 125 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Two-phase oil and water based remover works wonders and gives your lashes a treat too!, 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Two-phase eye make-up remover is not a new thing, in fact lots of expensive make-up brands make similar products at 5 or 10 times the price and they are known to be really effective - although out of my price range for an eye make-up remover that works on waterproof mascara and eyeliner.

I don't use waterproof eye make-up every day, but I do wear it for special events, like weddings and funerals, or indeed anywhere where there is a chance I might cry - so to cinema, theatre or a school performance! When I wear it, I am glad it stayed on for the day/night, but I want to get it off before bed and I'm usually tired and want something effective and kind to my eyes. This ticks all of those boxes for me - the oil/water combo, (you shake the bottle before use as you would expect) means that the waterproof products are lifted off really easily, but the water-based part cleanses the skin around your eyes, so that they feel clean and fresh. It's great, but there is more..... the secret ingredient of arginine, which is an ingredient I hadn't heard of, but which I understand to be something which promotes longer, thicker lashes naturally. So whilst you are cleaning up your lashes from the stuff you needed to make them thicker and longer - you are actually helping them to grow thicker and longer at the same time! Genius!

Maped 836111 Color Peps Smoothy Crayons (Pack of 6)
Maped 836111 Color Peps Smoothy Crayons (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids or Crafters will love these, 26 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really different from any crayons I have used before, these are a new medium for me and my daughters - much smoother, as the name suggests, than an ordinary crayon, each one of these crayons can be used as a dry colour or you can use it like a watercolour, adding with a brush or a damp sponge to spread the colour and smooth the edges to create a neater finish, albeit a slightly weaker colour than you began with.

Each gel crayon comes in a plastic case, to prevent getting mess/colour everywhere you don't want to and although this is a small selection, you can get the feel of whether this is for you quite quickly and easily and not at great cost. If these appeal to you, there is a larger selection available, which we will be getting, which has a wider range of colours, including a black and a pinky skin-tone like colour too.

Many reviewers have been giving these to very young children, which is fine, but I think that the real appeal for these will be for people who love arts and crafts. My 8 year-old is a budding artist and has been using these for watercolour-like pictures, my 7 year-old has been using them for standard pictures (with slightly less care and more mess!) and I have been trying them out on foam stamps, which works surprisingly well and might even make some of my own stamps for homemade Christmas cards this year.

Octonauts Gup Y
Octonauts Gup Y

5.0 out of 5 stars Loader and dump truck Gup with Shellington and yeti crab - good in the bath, better in the dry!, 26 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Octonauts Gup Y (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We are Octonauts fans in our household, loving the television series as well as the toys which link in with them. This is another great Gup toy which includes Shellington and the yeti crab, as well as some slime rocks for collection and disposal.

The Gup Y is inspired by the yeti crab and you can see from the arms of the scoop, that these are the main inspiration - the retrieval skills of the yeti crab are their secret weapon, mimicked to a certain extent by this Gup. The vehicle is quite clever actually, being a loader (with the front scoop) and a dumper truck in one. First when collecting the slime rocks (or anything else you find lying around, we have variously used - small rolled up bits of coloured paper, tin foil balls and the lava rocks from the Deep Sea Octolab so far!), you need to open the roof of the collection part of the gup - this pops open and slides down easily. Your child is then free to scoop up the rocks/debris and then you just need to use the lever on the side, which raises the bucket of stuff up and over, tipping all (or most of it) into the truck below. Once you have collected everything you want/can fit, then you can drive off and you can "dump" the contents by tipping the green section of the truck backwards, where a flap allows the contents to tip out, just like a dumper truck!

I like that this is a dry or wet toy - so that you can choose whether to use it in the bathroom if you want or to keep it for the living room/playroom. It's up to you. We have some bathroom Gups which are more naturally bathroom toys than this one, so we are keeping this in the dry - but there are some with special bathroom features, which are great such asOctonauts - GUP-D Sub & Barnacles or the Octonauts Gup-O and Dashi.

Learning Minds Mega Modz Tub - 160 Pieces
Learning Minds Mega Modz Tub - 160 Pieces
Offered by net_price_direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Great construction tub for creative kids - would be great to have some step-by-step examples for beginners, 26 Aug. 2015
This is a really interesting toy, for boys and girls (and adults playing with them) to build things from their imaginations with some brightly coloured plastic pieces, which clip together in a number of ways.

The pieces come in a sturdy box, which has side clips to keep it sealed and a sturdy handle. Once you open the box, there is a fairly simple glossy colour sheet, which shows some examples of creations built using the Mega Modz (but no instructions of how to replicate the items or any information about what you are likely to find inside the box or how the pieces fit together, other than by deduction, looking at the creations displayed.)

I sat down with my 7 and 8 year-old daughters for them to have a look and a play - the 7 year-old was immediately won over; my 8 year-old was less keen, but still wanted to play for a while, before leaving her sister to it. Initially it was clear how to create the links with the ball and socket joints, but it took a little longer to realise that you could also clip the socket joints together to make a fixed joint and that you can attach the socket end to the shaft of the pieces as well. We are still a little unsure about how you are best supposed to utilise the indentations on some of the pieces - as two indented pieces fit together nicely, but don't stick - so this only works if they are held firmly by the rest of the structure (I'm not sure if this is how they are supposed to be used) or alternatively you can use the indented part with the back part of an indented piece - which does hold, but somewhat tentatively. Anyway - we are new to using the set and my 7 year old has build numerous vehicles, cranes, picture frames and has even just tried clipping as many together as she can without them breaking off.

The set is brightly coloured in lovely bold primary colours (and grey!) and comes with wheels, which each have the ball part of the joint attached, so that you can use them really easily and instinctively. Overall it is a lovely construction kit - I just wish that there were more details of how to use them straight out of the box and a few beginners ideas to get you started. As it is, my 7 year-old completely loves them and my 8 year-old isn't fussed - so we have found a balanced score of 4 out of 5.

This item was provided free of charge for the review purposes. No attempt was made to influence my review - this is my family's honest opinon of the item provided.

L'Oreal Garnier Skin Fresh Eye Make-Up Remover 125 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Skin Fresh Eye Make-Up Remover 125 ml
Offered by Bargainperfumeshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaning routine staple - simple and effective and lovely scent of apples!, 26 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great staple to have in your cosmetics/cleansing cupboard - it removes eye make-up well, quickly and easily - no need to rub at stubborn areas as it just lifts away quite easily with a few gentle sweeps.

I like the way that my eyes feels after use, the skin around feels fresh and clean unlike some other eye make-up removers I have tried in the past which either leave my skin feeling oddly tight or leave a slightly tacky residue. The scent of the liquid has a lovely aroma of crisp apple - nothing overbearing, but so much nicer than the chemical scent that some standard eye make-up removers leave behind.

I don't wear heavy make-up on a daily basis, but I wear mascara and eye shadow every day and this removes it without fuss or mess and it doesn't sting my eyes either.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20