Profile for K. Z. Sobol > Reviews

Content by K. Z. Sobol
Top Reviewer Ranking: 450

K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner - Black, 5 ml
Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner - Black, 5 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great daily eyeliner, glides over eyeshadow, doesn't smudge and doesn't irritate my eyes, 30 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finding a liquid eyeliner that suits you is really important. I have being using liquid eyeliners for about 20 years and this is really effective.
It's really black, it is easy to apply - the consistency of the liquid is good and not too thick or thin to give a good even line . Also the brush is quite firm, without being sharp or scratchy, which make it easier to control than some of the liners with finer, more paintbrush-like ends.

This is rather like the eyeliner pens in terms of the "nib", but I find the control of the amount and the flow of the liquid easier to manage with this style of eyeliner, although others might prefer the pens, which self-fill.

This is a good mid-price eyeliner, which glides on easily over eyeshadow and provided you don't touch it whilst it is still wet(!) then it doesn't smudge. I have very sensitive eyes and I haven't had any irritation using this liquid liner, so I heartily recommend it as a great daily eyeliner.

Igenix Upright/ Flat Fan Heater, 2000 Watt, White
Igenix Upright/ Flat Fan Heater, 2000 Watt, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, lightweight and packs some heat, but it won't win any beauty prizes!, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a small, lightweight fan heater, this really does punch above its weight in terms of the heat it pumps out. I work in a very small office with a rather temperamental, old heating system, which will decide to stop working for no particular reason at any time. This is ideal for my tiny little office, which doesn't have space for anything larger and it can stand vertically, saving yet more floor space.

This isn't something that you would buy for its aesthetic beauty - it is a practical item, pure and simple. It even comes with a handy carry handle at the top when it is vertical (which doubles up as a leg when it lies flat) and it is pretty much foolproof to use, with three options on one dial (fan only, level 1 or level 2 (for 1000W or 2000W) and a second dial which is the adjustable thermostat, so that it has variable heat rather than just 2 heat settings).

I am looking forward to using this as a fan in my office in the summer - it doesn't have any coolant, so it is no replacement for air con, but it will get a bit of air moving around the office, which if it gets hot, will be most welcome

Air Wick Freshmatic Max Refill Lush Hideaways 250 ml (Pack of 4)
Air Wick Freshmatic Max Refill Lush Hideaways 250 ml (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and fruity smell - great in our kitchen!, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This refill for the Air Wick Freshmatic Max fits perfectly into the machine, as you would expect and it has three different scents, which suit one another - being wild berry, coconut water and fresh mint.

Overall, it gives a sweet fruity smell to the house and as with any fragrance using the Freshmatic Max, you will know what setting you need for your home and personally, even on the lowest setting, it permeates well around the room and indeed most of the floor! Initially I had this positioned between the hall and the living room, but the fruitiness of it fits better, in my opinion, with a kitchen area, where it makes the area smell fresh.

We switch our machine off overnight and so each canister will last longer than suggested - a pack of four would last us all year easily

Igenix Oakmen Flame Effect Stove, 950 Watt, Black
Igenix Oakmen Flame Effect Stove, 950 Watt, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably authentic-looking wood-burner style fan heater, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This electric fan heater has been cleverly designed to look like a real wood-burning stove and the outside finish is particularly effective. It has been designed to look like it is made from black cast iron and it is looks really smart and in particular in an alcove, it looks stylish and realistic.

The ash drawer is actually a pull-down flap, which, like the door is kept in place with magnets. Under the flap are standard fan heater switches - one for the fan, two 900w heater switches (either individually giving 900w or when both are switched on giving 1800w) and finally the light switch, which lights up the logs and switches on the flickering lights in the background. In addition to the four switches, there are two dial controls, one for more specific temperature control and one for more specific light control (like a dimmer switch). It's really easy to set up - straight out of the box, it is essentially plug and play - so heat at the flick of a couple of switches.

The heat it can produce and blow around the room, is impressive and with that heat and probably because of the way it looks, you expect the top and sides to be burning hot - but of course they aren't, they are cool to the touch and whilst you must always be careful around fires of any kind, this is a pretty safe option.

The look of the artificial logs is much as you expect from any electric fan heater, which, considering how well-styled the stove is, is a bit disappointing, but understandable. The lights are quite hypnotic and when it is in situ in the living room on a cold winter's night, it looks wonderful and the full strength glow does resemble the hot glow of a log burner. Overall, it's hard to believe that this is a relative of a white plastic fan heater, but yet it is, just on a much, much classier scale!

Young Houdini: The Magician's Fire (Young Houdini 1)
Young Houdini: The Magician's Fire (Young Houdini 1)
by Simon Nicholson

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat inaccurate historically speaking and sadly not as gripping as we'd hoped, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really excited about the prospect of this book, having always been intrigued by Houdini as a performer and a man, I thought that this would be a great story to introduce Houdini to my children. There seem to be some slight liberties taken with the known history of Houdini's childhood, which surprised me, but I might have been able to forgive if the pace of the story and the development of the key characters had been gripping enough. Sadly, this wasn't the page-turner we had expected. The story was still very readable, but I think that the reviews from the 8, 9 and 10-year olds made me think that this would be just right for my book-loving, mature 8-year old, but sadly it just didn't captivate her.

Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g (Pack of 3)
Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g (Pack of 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a faff, but good for my jumpers, 27 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a bit divided about this product. On the one hand I like the idea of getting rid of smelly bacteria and I trust the Dettol brand, having used it for years to clean my house.

On the other hand, I wish that this had been an in-wash product as the faff of having to pre-soak items and then wash them makes this feel like a solution to a problem, but one that makes my life more difficult, rather than easier.

I have used this to soak jumpers which are handwash only, when I wash them in the bathtub - which is already a bit of a task and this only adds one little extra step to the process and makes them feel and smell fresher than they usually do with handwashing alone.

Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Great on school polo t-shirts and plain cotton towels, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product makes me happy. It isn't perfect, it can perform some miracles, but doesn't work on everything. This is as good a product as I have found for bringing a new lease of life to tired grey clothes. It doesn't seem to work on everything - I think it works best on cotton fabrics judging from my results so far, as some greying silky pants (of unknown fabric) haven't whitened, but the grubby looking polo shirts and the dingy tea-towels and hand towels have come up several shades lighter. It's not quite a blinding white, but it means rather than having to buy pack after pack of school t-shirts and using my white hand towels and tea-towels as cleaning rags because they look dirty,.even when clean, Vanish Gold Oxi-action will keep them in use for much much longer. That makes me happy

Kent's Kitchen 8 Chicken Stockpots 224 g (Pack of 4, Total 32 Pots)
Kent's Kitchen 8 Chicken Stockpots 224 g (Pack of 4, Total 32 Pots)

5.0 out of 5 stars Less salty, but full of flavour, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried and tested a few different brands of stock pots , until now my preference has been Knorr. I wouldn't say that these are better, they are just diferent - less salty, which I prefer, but my husband doesn't and has been spied adding extra salt to some of my standard recipes! The flavour is good and rich, but is not overpowering. I have used it in a leek and potato soup, giving a richness and depth of flavour as well As in a chicken casserole this weekend. The stockpots dissolve well and quickly and the multi-packs are great value and will be valuable for anyone who cooks regularly.

Stinkbomb and Ketchup-Face and the Evilness of Pizza
Stinkbomb and Ketchup-Face and the Evilness of Pizza
by John Dougherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out loud funny! The third in a truly brilliant series, 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My girls are huge fans of this series, having read both of the previous stories several times and with the next installment already on their wishlist!
They love the title charcters, siblings, Stinkbomb and his sister Ketchup-Face, with their quirky characteristics and phrases, the King of their tiny Kingdom, King Toothbrush Weasel and his army/secret service, consisting of a cat called Malcolm, a ninja Librarian, a little shopping trolley/horsey and a whole lot of badgers.

There are loads of running/ "in" jokes from the previous books, which have my girls rocking with laughter. If you haven't read the others, I would recommend that you read them first. Whilst it isn't necessary to enjoy the story - most of the key points of the back story are covered within this story, so it is easier to follow the plot and you will appreciate some of the subtle nods to previous stories. There are some "not so subtle" nods to the previous stories, as the baddies find a copy of the first book "Stinkbomb and Ketchup-Face and the Badness of Badness" and so are forewarned about one of Ketchup-Face's previous ploys!

The stories are fun, there is plenty of word play, play with the usual traditions of the structure and rules of a novel, silliness and twists and turns in the plot as there were with the previous adventures.

We can't wait for the next installment! This is as much fun for me to read to my girls at bedtime as it is for them to read it themselves. They wander around the house quoting lines from the book book, which is a huge accolade from my children. Personally, this isn't my favourite in the series, but it is still a brilliant book!

The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman
The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman
by Mamen Sanchez

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner! It really doesn't feel like a translated novel! Fantastic!, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This story - of a the missing son of a publishing mogul, is less a "who done-it" and more of an exploration of two cultures English and Spanish; relationships, both romantic and platonic and along the way as the back story is filled forward, we find out what happened to Atticus Craftsman.

The story is character-driven, with colourful portrayals of an array of key figures - the ladies who run the magazine in Madrid; the incompetent Inspector; the parents of Atticus, some of which are slightly clown-like, such as Barbosa, the "pirate" with whom one of the ladies is having an affair and the policeman is also somewhat buffoon-like, but still amiable.

Interestingly, having read a good deal of translated novels, I was really impressed by the translation, which is really very good - it doesn't feel like a translation, it feels as though this book had been written in English, so natural is the tone and it is only the odd thing that couldn't be helped like when they speak about not being able to speak English and it has to be written in English - the only other way around this might have been to footnote the translation, but that too would have been clumsy. As it is, I think that Lucy Greaves has done an excellent job, as this book is a real page-turner and gripped me from beginning to end!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20