Profile for K. Z. Sobol > Reviews

Content by K. Z. Sobol
Top Reviewer Ranking: 446

K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Canna Coco 1L A&B Bottles Set
Canna Coco 1L A&B Bottles Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete nutrition for nutrient-deficient coir, 19 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been looking at peat-free alternatives for a while, including coir, which is essentially the rubbish part of the coconut husks. There is a wide range of quality of coir available, so I found doing a bit of research to find better coir/coco important, as friends tell me that you can get some cheap stuff, but it's a false economy.

One thing that you need with coir is to get some nutrients into it, because without them, your plants will not flourish and this Cana Coco set is one such product available to give your plants the best chance.

It will take some time to see the results of these nutrients, to see whether my plants prefer this or the peat-free compost which I have used already - which is coir-based, but has the nutrients included already. To my mind, this should be the winner, as with the other, the nutrients will wash away over time, so I would need to buy additional nutrients anyway. With this, I can set up my own routine for feeding the coir and so my plants.

Initially I was puzzled by the two bottles and was curious to know why they weren't premixed, but I now realise that if you mix the two mixtures, that it can clog up and prevent the nutrients from being absorbed, so that's a big no-no!

In terms of the results - only time will tell - hopefully I will be able to update with positive results next year!

Always Discreet Normal Incontinence Pads - Pack of 96
Always Discreet Normal Incontinence Pads - Pack of 96

5.0 out of 5 stars Have them delivered to your home in a plain white box to avoid embarrassment in the supermarket and in my recycling box!, 19 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using light-normal pads for some time - the result of an already weak bladder together with having children, I now know that these are a must just to catch any little unexpected leaks, which can happen when I laugh, cough, sneeze or exert myself in any way if I am not careful. There are also times like when I want to get on the trampoline with my children, when I wouldn't be without a pad (been there, done that!)

These normal sized pads are a good size for me, fitting well in my pants and don't wriggle around/get unstuck or caught, in fact it is easy to forget you are wearing them. I only have little incidents, but these were brilliant and absorbed everything, as I would have expected.

I must admit that I do find it embarrassing as someone in their thirties having to buy these (there is still a fair stigma attached, even if 1 in 3 women suffer) and I wouldn't like to bump into a colleague in the supermarket with these in my basket. Ordering online, in bulk seems to be the logical way forward and I was really pleased that the box is a neat plain white box - without loads of slogans on the outside for me to display in my cardboard recycling!

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G
Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

5.0 out of 5 stars 4000 nails will keep you going for quite some time!!, 14 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great bumper pack of nails for use in specific Tacwise nail guns namely the Tacwise 181ELS, 191EL, 191ELS, Duo 35 and Duo 50 nail guns. I have a 181ELS and a 191ELS gun and so I can use these with either. With 4000 nails in this pack, these will allow you to keep nailing to your hearts content for quite some time! The nails are good quality and you have a range of lengths for different projects.

Sage 50 Accounts Plus - Single User - 1 Company (PC)
Sage 50 Accounts Plus - Single User - 1 Company (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really for new start-ups and no payroll included - but a very comprehensive, if pricey product, 11 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Even people who don't know anything about accounting software know the name of Sage - because it is well-respected by professional accountants and for good reason.

This product is as impressive and as sound and reliable as the Sage name would suggest, but they put a high premium on that name and much of the cost of this product is, to be fair, paying for that well-rounded product, along with the fact that most accountants seem to use and prefer it, so if you want to be able to be compatible with your accountant - you may have to buy into the Sage software products.

It may seem harsh, but the single star I've knocked off is not really because it isn't a good product, but because it is so expensive when other companies produce similar quality products at a fraction of the price. I wouldn't mind as much if you were paying for all the features to be yours for a considerable amount of time, but the 45 day support seems shockingly brief - particularly if you are a new user of Sage and you take some time to get to grips with the product.

The product claims to be aimed at small to medium businesses, but I would say that the features included will be more than a small start-up would need, but a medium-sized business would probably be looking at having payroll included (which this does not). All in all it is very comprehensive(apart from the lack of payroll) but only if you know how to use it. This has been made with a Sage-proficient in mind, not a Sage newcomer. If you are starting up a new business or are a sole-trader, you won't need this - there are other Sage products available such as Sage Instant Accounts, which would be better for you. I have used a number of Sage products over the years, so it didn't take too long to navigate my way around the features - but even being familiar with Sage, you can feel rather overwhelmed by the array of features at the beginning.

EC Technology® 36W 7.2A 5-port Smart Car Charger Portable Rapid USB Vehicle Power Adapter for iPhone 6 Plus 6 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3 2, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, Nexus, HTC One, PS Vita, Gopro, GPS, Bluetooth Speaker, External Batteries Pack, more Smartphones & Tablets
Offered by EC Technology UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great multi-device car charger, 11 Dec 2014
Despite having numerous chargers in my house and at work, it is still a fairly common occurrence for me to find myself wanting to charge my phone and/or my tablet at the same time as having my sat nav plugged in to charge (this always has to be plugged in when in use, as it is old and the battery won't hold its charge).

With this charger, I no longer have to choose between accurate directions to my destination and being contactable by phone and being able to give charge my tablet prior to a presentation. All can be charged up (and then some!) without any more fuss and bother.
It would be nice to have suction cups on the back of the central connection point, to keep it attached and in one place and not moving around in the car.

There is a switch at the back of the box to switch it on or off and when it is on, the little blue light is illuminated. This is a neat and useful charger which gives you all the charging you could possibly need from your car at one time.

Supplied for evaluation by EC Technology.

Philips InSight Wireless HD Home Video Monitor
Philips InSight Wireless HD Home Video Monitor
Offered by DB Technology srl

3.0 out of 5 stars Great live feed images, but it costs to record and it should ideally be 5m or less from router (preferably in the same room), 10 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If all you want is the stream live video of a room in your house, then this might be a 5-star product for you. This product does allow you to record and store recorded footage, but only if you are willing to pay the subscription to the Phillips-run cloud, which costs £80 per year. It would be good to have the option to record to a hard drive, but this isn't available with this product - so buyer beware - if you are happy with the fees for recording, then great, if not, then look for an alternative product.

The video quality is very good - it is HD (720 not "full"), giving a good clear picture and the night vision is surprisingly good. The app is easy to install and once installed it takes you through the step by step instructions to get your monitor up and running and linked to your app.

The only other downside (apart from the cloud issue) is that it advises you to try and position your monitor less than 5m from your router for optimal performance. Obstacles such as walls may affect the Wi-Fi signal. If you wanted to use the monitor in a room a long way away from your router, you might need to think again. Personally, I have set up my monitor in the same room as my router, so this wasn't a problem, indeed the Wi-Fi signal in my house is good in most rooms, but I know that my Mum's house the level vary wildly and some rooms don't pick up any signal at all - which would be no good for this system.

Soft Shell Portable Ice Cream Maker
Soft Shell Portable Ice Cream Maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the fastest or easiest way to make ice-cream, but certainly the most fun way!, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay - so not the most practical way to make ice-cream or the easiest (most practical would be an electric ice-cream maker and the easiest way to get ice-cream is to go an buy some!)

All that aside, however, this is a lot of fun and has proven to be a bit hit with my children and their friends, who started off trying to throw the ball as a game of catch, but found that it was a bit heavy and quickly found that they had most fun, without it being too strenuous, rolling it to one another all around our living room. The whole time they were full of giggles and they also built up a good appetite whilst playing with the ball, so that no sooner had the ice-cream been made than it had been demolished!!

The process is pretty easy - there are two ends - one for the cream mix and the other for the ice and rock salt - they look almost identical - one end has a white flap on a yellow background and the other has a yellow flap with a white background. Whilst you can remember which end you have on once you have checked - they are interchangeable, so after washing you may end up swapping them around and so it can be a bit confusing!

There is a nice recipe book (a little American in terms of measurements and ingredients, but it's not difficult to decipher!) and it gives you ideas for flavour ideas and also non-ice-cream products, like frozen yoghurt and some fun frozen cocktails (for adults only!)

Babies Firsts Jersey Cotton Sheets (Double Pack, 140 x 70 cm)
Babies Firsts Jersey Cotton Sheets (Double Pack, 140 x 70 cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely soft jersey sheets - you can tumble dry them too!, 2 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are plain white, washable, breathable, soft jersey sheets, which fit perfectly on our Babies Firsts 140x70x10cm Thick British Made Luxury Spring Cot Bed Mattress (Hypo-allergenic & Quilted Cover).

The double pack make these good value and they have a good amount of stretch, allowing a really good, snug fit on the mattress without them popping off.

EDIT:- Originally I deducted a star, because the washing instructions said not to tumble dry. Since writing my original review the manufacturers have contacted me to let me know that there was an error with the washing instruction labels on the first batch and they have confirmed that the sheets can be tumbled dried - subsequent batches of sheets will show this correctly, but if you have some of the first batch - they can be tumbled dried. I am so relieved, I don't have to line dry these anymore!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 5:02 PM GMT

Standing Protective Case for Fire HD 7 (4th Generation)
Standing Protective Case for Fire HD 7 (4th Generation)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Picture frame" stand Kindle case, 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good lightweight case for the 4th Generation Kindle Fire HD 7, which is neat and despite being lightweight, feels solid - although I wouldn't like to drop it just to put it through its paces I'm afraid! It's a good fit - which is hardly surprising as it is an Amazon product designed specifically for this model and generation - if they can't get it right, then who can!?

The stand, which can be used vertically or horizontally - is made up of the front cover, which when opened fully, attaches to the back at the top and easily forms a "picture frame" style stand - propping the Kindle up in portrait or landscape view.

My main gripe is although the material it is made from is fairly pleasing to the touch, it seems to attract dust more readily than most other cases I have used and this shows up quite easily on the soft black cover.

Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness
Zyliss Burger Press with Adjustable Thickness

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy and helps you to make good looking, uniform burgers in 1/2 or 1/4 pounder sizes, 29 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been making our own burgers for many years now and have honed the recipe and consistency to our tastes perfectly, but I struggle with two things, which this has helped me with:

1. This helps me to shape the burger properly, helping it to stay together and this has the added bonus of the attractive grill-marked pattern

2. This helps me to make uniformly sized burgers - often I start making a batch by hand and from the first to the last there is a massive change in thickness and diameter and it all looks a bit higgledy-piggledy.

I like the fact that this press comes in three parts, which are easy to put together/take apart and so are easy to wash either by hand or in the dishwasher. I have to agree with reviewer Mad Saint Uden, who suggests oiling the black tray section - just lightly, to help you to remove the burger patty once formed and I certainly found this helped.

The option of 1/4 or 1/2 pounder-sized burgers is a nice option to have and all you need to do is twist the lid from the market settings, clockwise or anti-clockwise to change settings. The instructions are very easy to follow and it is a quick and easy process to make your own burgers and even comes with 6 burger recipes for you to try, which have already tempted me away from our family recipe! Reassuringly the press comes with a 5-year guarantee, although it feels well made and is a guarantee I doubt I would need to use - it's nice to have all the same!

As a little tip from making burgers previously (by hand), if you are making these burgers in advance of cooking them, you might want to get some cellophane discs to separate the burgers - which are cheap to buy on Amazon, e.g.250 x Professional Cellophane Burger Discs/ Paper 5'' = 12.4cm, which make life much easier.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20