Profile for whiskee_lover > Reviews

Lucky Ace Stylish Automatic 2 Pack Card Shuffler
Lucky Ace Stylish Automatic 2 Pack Card Shuffler
Offered by Bargains Essentials

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it with two provisos..., 8 Dec. 2013
Happy with this, having looked at all the options.
it's noisy - but agree with the Concorde comment above.
To start with, it did not feed cards well from one side. The good news, and the reason for adding this review, is that you can apply light pressure inwards on either side to balance the frequency of cards being fed in. I know this is not necessarily the point, but it makes it totally controllable and fit for purpose.
Overall, well worth it for the price, and excellent service from chess and bridge. I ordered a more expensive one from another supplier who were impossible to get hold of, delivered nearly two weeks after ordering despite £5 P&P and my cancelling the order, and then it arrived broken. Buy this one...

Tried a more ex

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users
by Victoria Bampton

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have if you use Lightroom... (electronic pdf version), 2 Aug. 2013
I have just purchased the version 5 upgrade, and the pdf is sitting next to AdobeLightroom3-missingfaq and AdobeLightroom4MissingFAQ. I have plenty of other ebooks and paper photography books, but this is the most used on my (virtual) bookshelf - indeed, I have a shortcut to it on my desktop. I suggest using the index or control F to quickly find the answer to your current Lightroom problem. And that is the USP of Victoria's approach - the book is a summary of answers to problems that other users have had, and therefore the answer to your problem is quickly available, and frees you up to get on with your main purpose of making great images. If you are a newbie, then a read through the quick start chapter is a must... if you have been using Lightroom for years like me, then I still find I learn loads just diving in occasionally. But the main reason is quickly solving that annoying hitch that is stopping you doing what you want in LR3, 4 or now 5...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 9:45 AM GMT

Trust Widescreen Graphics Tablet for PC, Laptop - Grey
Trust Widescreen Graphics Tablet for PC, Laptop - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest tech information - Win 7 64 bit, 24 Dec. 2012
I have found a couple of the previous reviews very useful, but having bought my trust slimline tablet for Christmas 2012 I have discovered that none of them are entirely up-to-date. I offer the following if it helps. I have bought the tablet for working with photos using Lightroom 4. I have a computer with dual monitors running Windows 7 64 bit and an AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics card. If the links are edited out (and they have been) then please google "gr8ict", "photography" and "tablet" to find the post on my blog.

I had four issues that I need to resolve:
1. My new ASUS monitor did not display right up into the edges of the screen
2. The printed instructions that came with the Trust tablet differ from the latest online version, by suggesting (wrongly) that you plug in the tablet before installing the drivers. I had followed the printed instructions and had the tablet install with standard Windows drivers.
3. The Tablet wasn't working at all
4. Any of the online instructions for getting the tablet to work with dual monitors do not appear to be up-to-date.

Solution 1: Download the latest AMD drivers. I needed AMD's Catalyst install manager.
[...]
Download and install.
Right click your mouse anywhere on the Windows desktop
Select ATI Catalyst Control Center
>My digital flat panels for HDMI or My VGA Displays for VGA.
> scaling options > overscan by 0%

Solution 2: Download and install the latest Trust drivers - win 7 64 bit driver.
[...]

Solution 3: (I am a bit embarrassed about this one... it was late in the evening when I tried things to start with...)
Make sure you remove the plastic wrapping from the ends of the AAA battery supplied with the pen!
More importantly, check the tablet is working by:
> connecting to a USB slot
> checking the blue light is flashing
> use the pen to press down hard on the tablet which I assume gets things working. After a couple of seconds you can then use the pen as you would a mouse for moving the cursor on the screen.

Solution 4: With the tablet plugged in, and having followed solutions 1-3:
In the Control Panel > Trust Tablet - Mapping > Pen, Monitor 1 > use part or not depending on resolution required.

New Epson Complete Guide to Digital Printing (Lark Photography Book)
New Epson Complete Guide to Digital Printing (Lark Photography Book)
by Rob Sheppard

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds key information not found anywhere else..., 31 Dec. 2009
Like many people these days, I am a keen amateur photographer with a DSLR capable of many megapixels. I have learnt a lot in the last few years about taking a good photo and how to process that raw photo using Photoshop CS3 and more recently Lightroom 2. I needed to find out more about 'known unknowns' such as sharpening and why a print looks different to the image on a monitor; and have subsequently found 'unknown unknowns' such as edge burning. This book has provided key information about making optimal images and prints which I have not found in any other books and RS explains things very clearly with specific settings to try out in PS and LR2.

I agree with most of the points made by previous reviewers, but I will add a few observations of my own.

- I think it is perfectly justified that RS includes what makes a good photo as this is integral to achieving a good print at the end of your workflow.
- I already knew about monitor calibration and many of the suggestions for how to take a good picture. However, RS includes lots of print specific hints to illustrate many of the suggestions which are worth knowing in a print context
- RS really knows his stuff and explains some high end concepts (for me anyway) such as sharpening and masks in a lot of detail. - For those of us brought up on the 'doing' though photo magazines and using the software this is an ideal level of explanation and explains the 'why' of techniques I have been using but not knowing why...
- The book that I bought is the 'New' guide, which follows three previous editions. Therefore it not only includes information that has always been relevant to good prints, but it is also fully up-to-date with DSLR lore and examples for Raw photos and Lightroom 2. This is not the case with several other much-touted photography books.

I disagree with an earlier reviewer that the 'print early, print often' suggestion is controversial. I know my printer well enough already for everyday printing. I don't think I will ever know my monitor and printer well enough not to have to print several proofs for competition entries... If you are at the stage of needing this book, you will know that there is a world of difference between what you see on the screen and what you see with a final print. And that readers, is a photo fact!

Other reviewers have indicated 5* if you have an Epson printer, 4* if you don't. I happen to have an Epson R2400, but most of my learning from this book is independent of the make of my printer. I would still score this book 5* if I owned a different make of printer - although I am even happier having an Epson. You will probably get more from this book if you have at least six cartridges in your printer, and even more if like me, you have eight/nine cartridges and print colour and B+W... This book has improved my understanding a great deal and I now need to invest time and ink to achieve better prints. Incidentally, if you don't already use a bulk ink flow system you really should start looking into it for pigment ink at a sixth of the price...

And finally... p.58 "Let me be straight with you. You get better photographs by taking lots of pictures and better prints by making lots of prints, not by following a workflow. Photography and digital printing are crafts. You can study them and learn about them, but to gain the experience of what works and what does not requires you to 'do them'... to master any craft, you need to work at that craft."

I agree whole heartedly with this view, and I recommend this book to anyone who wants to enjoy their photography more by improving their digital printing - whether or not they own an Epson printer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2011 9:16 AM BST

LEGO Star Wars (PC)
LEGO Star Wars (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars If your gamepads stop working with LSW, 3 Dec. 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars (PC) (Video Game)
Bought this game 2 weeks ago. No problem running it with new Dual Trigger 2-in-1 Rumble Force gamepads. Massive hit with my Boys and I. Then disaster. First one gamepad refused to function, then the other. Amazon offered a replacement gamepad but NOT NEEDED.

From the eidos forum:

"Originally Posted by mm74md

Make sure your Gamepads are plugged in and then go to the following directory

C:\Program Files\Giant\LEGO Star Wars Game

There is a file there called SWLEGO.BIN (Should be 1 kb)

Delete this file and restart the game. The gamepads should automatically generate in the controller section."

Worked for us...