Profile for Lord Snow Reviews > Reviews

Lord Snow Reviews

Gameboard of the Gods: Age of X #1
Gameboard of the Gods: Age of X #1

5.0 out of 5 stars A very promising start to a new series, 11 April 2014
I loved this book almost from the get go. The characters are interesting, the world building is well done, and the god plot line was able to draw me in. Justin is a great character, being smart and charming but having enough problems to keep him from becoming dull. Mae's strength and all round kick-assness make her one of my favorite female characters I've read in some time. The one thing I am concerned with though is that Mae and Justin as the main characters seem predestined to be together. While Justin is an amazing character he has made too many mistakes for it to be fair for him to be with Mae. He constantly brakes of there relationship in the most humiliating ways for Mae, and while the reason for it is understandable, it does not change the fact that he could find kinder ways to do it or even tell her the truth. He chooses not to because it would take away from the cool, composed, charming personality that he has envisioned for himself and ever make Mae believe he is crazy or that he actually has a heart. Even at the end of the book Justin could of told Mae why he could not be with her and she would of understood, but instead he choose to act like an ass.
Wow some of that sounds rather like a rant, but in a way that is a good thing because it means that this book has inspired strong opinions in me and it will do the same to you. It was amazing

Long Live the Queen: Book Three of the Immortal Empire
Long Live the Queen: Book Three of the Immortal Empire

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok ending, 22 Nov 2013
This series and this book encompasses a problem that I see far to often in urban fiction nowadays. They introduce amazing worlds and characters in their first books and then as they try to flesh them out in the following books it just fails to encompass the same magic. That is not to say that this is a bad book, its not, its just that this book and this series could of been so much more.
It did enjoy the progression in the relationship between Xandra and Vex. I had thought that the relationship was a bit flat in the second book, but it felt more like an even partnership in this book, even though Xandra had arguably more power due to her being a queen. I also enjoyed Xandra and queen Victoria's interactions. They were full of tension and humor.
My problem was that the enemies in this and the last book were rather cliched and were obvious in this book almost from the outset. One of the enemies in this novel seems so ridicules that I almost feel that the author added them because she felt that Xandra had become to physically powerful, and as such there was no one who could oppose her, resulting in this stupidly overpowered creature being added. Also the great threat of humanity is not resolved in a satisfactory way in my opinion.
As I said this is not a bad book, I was just disappointed because it could of been so much more.

Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1)
Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story #1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Give it a miss, 10 Sep 2013
I love heroines who are smart, strong, adaptable and kind. What I don't like are heroines who are perfect and make the entire story boring. Ell is far too perfect and the entire story seems to be different narratives pointing out how amazing she is. This is a shame because some of the other characters could of been great, if they were not in a novel with Ell. Take Jamal who is introduced quite early in the novel. He is a Muslim who has suffered at the hands of Americans and whose anger drives him to terrorism. The story of his rage and disillusionment is far more interesting then Ell insane abilities and humility which after awhile seems ridicules in a woman who can fire a semi automatic so fast that it sounds like an automatic and is so smart that she enters college at 16.

The Queen Is Dead: Book Two of the Immortal Empire
The Queen Is Dead: Book Two of the Immortal Empire

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first 1, 5 Feb 2013
I loved God save the Queen. The characters were interesting, the plot was action packed and engaging. When I finished it I was eager to read the next installment. Perhaps my expectations were too high, I expected the same kind of novel here as the first 1. What you get instead is a highly watered down version focusing far more on Xandra's incisiveness. Yes I think we can all understand that she has gone through some shocking changes in the first book, but to have a whole book focused on her trying to come to terms with what she frankly seemed to come to terms with at the end of the first book is ridicules.

Nothing truly spectacular happens in this book, Xandra farts around, confirms to the reader that some people who we already knew were bad are defiantly bad. Even her love life which was mildly interesting in the first book annoys in this one. In the first book Vex and Xandra's relationship was new and so the fact that Vex was a relatively unexplored character was forgivable. In this book their relationship has been going on for a few months, but Vex still seems quite bland. He never seems to get angry, no matter how crazy Xandra gets. Maybe it just me, but he seems to perfect to be real.

I'm still going to get the next book when it comes out, but my expectations will be lower. Hopefully in book 3 we will see a return of the arse kicking Xandra from book 1 and not the Xandra from this book who seemed so concerned with public opinion of herself.