Profile for claire sinclaire > Reviews

As Time Goes By
As Time Goes By
by Michael Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Sequel, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: As Time Goes By (Paperback)
I came across this book quite by accident in a charity shop and grabbed it at once, as I am a great fan of the wartime thriller Casablanca.

I found this sequel very interesting which tied up many of the loose ends from the film, also we learn about Rick Blaine himself (Humphrey Boggart) his life before the war in New York. This was a well written piece of literature, blending in fact and fiction together. Whats more none of the main characters lost their personalities, the story managed to keep the shadowy black and white atmosphere of spy espionage ww2 settings as portrayed in the film.

This sequel was fantastic. This was a good old fashioned spy thriller full of suspense which gave the film closure. I always felt that we were left wondering what would happen to Rick and Isla at the end of the film. This book carries on where the film left off. A brilliant read full of historic fact.

Zodiac Tarot
Zodiac Tarot
by Lo Scarabeo

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Strange Cards, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Zodiac Tarot (Cards)
When I viewed the images of these cards I thought Wow! These look really different, unusual, something I could combine my astrology and intuitive psychic skills together with.

Instead after owning these for over a month I haven't bothered with them at all. The pictures are indeed very well illustrated with the appropriate astrological colours, but I cannot tune into the images at all. They do nothing at all for me.

However, a truly unusual pack, but would not necessarily describe these as the traditional tarot cards.

The Other Side Of Paradise: World War 2 Saga
The Other Side Of Paradise: World War 2 Saga
by Margaret Mayhew

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 July 2011
This is the first book i have read by Margaret Mayhew and I was impressed. Edge of the seat war story about the arrival of the Japs entering Singapore in 1942. I found myself glued to the book immediately.

I enjoyed the love story as well, but found parts of the story quite brutal, but it was fact without being glossed over. A well written novel without a doubt.

The Housewives Tarot
The Housewives Tarot
by Paul Kepple

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 5 July 2011
This review is from: The Housewives Tarot (Cards)
I found these cards to be quite quirky and easy to read. There is something quite un-threatening about them, and they give good answers to questions. I love the 1050's illustrations of housewives.

The World of Suzie Wong
The World of Suzie Wong
by Richard Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars A Favourite, 5 July 2011
I read this book years ago as it is one of my mothers favorite books of all time. As I am half Chinese myself I can strongly relate to this book, having visited Hong Kong.

This is a truly fascinating love story set in 1950's Hong Kong. Of course it brings out the seedier side which was quite realistic. I have read this book time and time again, as the descriptions of Hong Kong are so accurate that I feel I am there myself.

I loved Suzy Wong herself. She was by far from the perfect little Chinese woman that many a novel romanticizes. She was hard streetwise prostitute who fell in love with an American. A timeless classic that stands the test of time.

Tarot of Jane Austen Deck
Tarot of Jane Austen Deck
by Diane Wilkes

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Unique, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Tarot of Jane Austen Deck (Cards)
I received these cards in the post very quickly. As I am a big fan of Jane Austen these cards were rather charming. I found that I could relate to the pictures and the details and focus on these. I do agree that they are rather dull in colour, but the drawings are very good.