Profile for C. L. Roe > Reviews

Content by C. L. Roe

C. L. Roe

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Wordsworth Classics)
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Wordsworth Classics)
by Robert Tressell

5.0 out of 5 stars Yesterday today perhaps, 18 Aug 2013
Although written around 1910 in commentary of that Edwardian time, much is a reflection of the current state of affairs in UK today. I love the detailed description of the lives of people of the time. It is poignant reminder of the time when the general worker was just a means too an end for the majority of employers of that era.

It is clearly a great introduction to early socialism. The worries and discomforts are with us today if we are in poverty. The workers of the day are exhausted when they get home after being given no rights at work and having no money for more than basics. This is certainly so in the third world!

Similarly more machinery and technology means less jobs and again there are the concerns of people coming from another area looking for work when there were not enough jobs to go round before.

To some it may seem a rather depressing account but worth reading for its social comment and development of beliefs.

It could be read merely as a novel but the reader would not be getting the depth and passion of the author who in my mind is the painter called Owen.

It only cost £1.99 including postage what have you got to lose?

Rooms: The Main Building (Nintendo DS)
Rooms: The Main Building (Nintendo DS)
Offered by APE-GAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Rooms! an adictive sliding rooms puzzle!, 16 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I had my eye on this game for some time, waiting for the price to drop which it has. It is the only game of its kind that I have ever seen. Essentially it is a series of mini puzzles each one being a form of tile puzzle, but where the tiles are rooms in a house!

The object is to get out of the room by the main doors - in order to do this your avatar needs to be in the right room at the right time and place in the house. You assist your avatar on his journey by sliding the rooms around so that the interaction has the right connection. These are some of the aids I have so far come across - teleport with a nifty sort of Matrix transfer by telephone, travel by wardrobe a la Harry Potter, stepladders, doors that only open in one direction, locked doors and keys, candles and explosives.

To make it more tricky some of the equipment has 'mal-functioned' so you can only go in one direction! Like one direction ladders, wardrobes and telephones. When transferring by wardrobe you do not move to another room the contents of the room with the other wardrobe change places. But when transferring by telephone the avatar moves, just as when it uses the ladders. Also some of the rooms have a solid floor wall or ceiling which cannot be crossed.

The games are accompanied by music and sound effects. The levels become increasingly difficult or complex and are real mind benders. I am sorry now that I did not buy it sooner it is a good buy and major enjoyment for pass-time. But mind out playing it for a short time can become a long one!

iBoutique Precision Wireless Weather Station with Alarm & Snooze Function, Indoor & Outdoor Temperature, Indoor & Comfort Humidity Sensors, Moon Phase, Clock, Calendar & Alarm Display etc.
Offered by iSeekGadgets

3.0 out of 5 stars Living Room - partly cloudy!, 16 Aug 2013
I bought the gadget to see how much use I would make of it before paying 'big bucks' for a better one.

I did finally set it up after many failed attempts. This is the knack that worked for me: before use switch the Channel switch in the Sensor to 'Channel 2' or 'Channel 3'. Then back to 'Channel 1' - it seems to me that the switch was not exactly in place on Channel 1 when I received the device.

The instruction leaflet although matching the model number does not seem correct in all aspects. It talks about an "RX" reset button which is absent unless it is the channel switch that doubles as such.

There are no instructions to say how to view the humidity in the house or from the sensor. So it is not clear whether the display shows inside or outside humidity. Before I managed to connect the sensor, the display showed that my Living Room was 'partly cloudy!'

First surprise was to find that the outside unit is not waterproof - somewhat of a misnomer to call it an outside one, unless it was made for places where it does not rain.

There is a standard flap type cover to the battery compartment on the display unit. But the 'outside' unit has a screwed down cover - which requires a tiny cross head 'precision screwdriver', good eyesight and a steady hand to remove the 4 screws! N.B. Do not secure the cover until you have managed to get a Wi-Fi connection. Because I had to take out and replace the batteries many times after resetting the Wi-Fi scanner in the main unit a number of times too.

Basically this is an expensive alarm clock with a snooze button! With various additional functions! Don't expect a good forecast - use the TV or look out of the window as the instructions clearly state, "This is not an accurate weather forecast but can give a nice visual impression of what the weather is doing." I could look out of the window and see that! I have clock, alarm and calendar functions on my PC, Tablet, mobile phone, bedside alarm, TV, wristwatch, house alarm - why do I need one here - more attention should have been given to its primary function. it is not a weather station as I understood it - it is basically an indoor/outdoor thermometer with humidity sensor.

I gave it 3 stars because it will give me chance to try out the concept, otherwise it would have been 2 stars.

iZKA® - Charger Pack: Mains Adaptor / In Car Charger / Micro USB Data Sync Cable for Tomtom VIA 110, Tomtom VIA 120, Tomtom VIA 125, Tomtom Start 20, Tomtom Start 25
Offered by MedievalMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value kit, 15 Aug 2013
One hears a lot about thid party battery chargers, but this one is fine. I have been using it for a while now and have had no problems. It is good to have car and computer connectors as well as mains. You can then plug it in virtually anywhere.

It is good quality too.

M&L Mobiles® | BATTERY GENUINE BL-5F BL5F FOR NOKIA 6210 Navigator | 6260 slide | 6290 | 6710 Navigator | E65 | N93i | N95 | N96
Offered by M&L Mobiles UK

5.0 out of 5 stars These really are genuine, 15 Aug 2013
I was very pleased that I had chosen a reputable dealer this time. I have bought replacement batteries before and been disappointed to find that the hologram was only a picture. In this case the hologram reveals different aspects of their design in all four directions - proof that a Nokia battery is the real thing.

Even before the batteries arrived - from Germany - the company sent me a Warranty as a PDF file. Most of their products are 2 years but batteries just 6 months.

I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

Talking Tables Something in The Air Butterfly Place Cards, Pack of 10, Ivory
Talking Tables Something in The Air Butterfly Place Cards, Pack of 10, Ivory

4.0 out of 5 stars Intricately cut place name for a special occasion., 15 Aug 2013
I bought a couple of packs of these for our recent wedding anniversary. They have a lovely design - embedded in the wing of the butterfly are lots of smaller butterflies. These cards are a really special way to identify where your guests are to sit.

I deducted one star because they are a little tricky to fold for my old hands - other people may find it easy. I would however buy more for another time.

A number of our guests took them home with them and one used theirs to make into a Thank You card to us.

My Little Book of Verbal Antidotes
My Little Book of Verbal Antidotes

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch your language!, 15 Aug 2013
I was so impressed with this little book that I bought a number of copies to give to my friends. It is a collection of what I call 'toxic' words. That is words if used without thought can have a negative effect. For example the word 'but' negates anything that goes before it, using 'and' instead can help; else keeping the 'but' and swapping the empowering clause to the end works too.

The book is really a booklet but worth every penny if you want to be a better communicator. It was out of print last time I looked *but* it is available on Kindle!

Sherwood Deluxe Folding Perching Stool with Backrest
Sherwood Deluxe Folding Perching Stool with Backrest

4.0 out of 5 stars Enables me to shower safely, 15 Aug 2013
I bought this for use in my shower when my blood pressure drops. It is fairly easy to set up/adjust for height, having 4 little plastic clamps with a metal pin which fit into the range of adjustment holes on the legs - I did decuct one star due to one leg not being drilled through at one hole completely in line and required the use of a small hammer to drive it home. It is very sturdy and very safe. Given the fact that it is made of solid aluminium tubing - it is light enough to move to a spot out of the shower when not required.

When in use, if necessary, to open and close it while showering, it is easy once you get the nack. I looked at many types before purchasing this one. Being all aluminium it will not rust like some of the cheaper painted steel ones.

I cannot recommend it too highly.

New Trent Arcadia (2PCS) Clickpen Stylus/Styli with Micro-Knit Tip for all capacitive Touchscreen Smartphones and Tablets. (TwinPack: Black + White)
Offered by Naphos

5.0 out of 5 stars New style stylus! It thinks it's a pen., 14 Aug 2013
I have been using one of these new gadgets for a couple of days. Certainty better than those old rubber tipped ones. So responsive and feels comfortably like a pen in one's hand.

I was not sure about the wonderful reviews of the micro-mesh tip. But once you have tried it it performs extremely well.

Almost as useful as the tip is that the button retracts the 'nib' as it were keeping it clean. It has a strong 'pocket clip' but I put it in the elastic holder on the side of my tablet case.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what the Doctor ordered!, 14 Aug 2013
Very light and portable. I thought at first it was quite expensive until I found how well it works. But don't do what I did! I wanted to try it first so I could return it if I did not like it. So I tried it on different chairs for a free days with varying degrees of success. I decided to persevere with it. So I then removed the card from the seat. There was a bright yellow leaflet stuck underneath. It said, "Read first - your back will thank you for it!"

What I had missed was that what I had thought was a carry handle was in fact used to position the device in just the right position under my bottom! Once I had followed the easy instructions my back did thank me for it!

I have deducted a star because it is no good if you need to lean forwards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9