Profile for JB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Salter Premium Automatic Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Salter Premium Automatic Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Offered by BestBuyUk

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and comfortable but easy to start by accident, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After a healthy heart check where my blood pressure was found to be high I was asked by the nurse to record my BP three times both in the morning and in the evening. This device can store sixty readings for two users so no need for a pen and paper.

I took the results and the device back to the clinic yesterday and happily the monitor tallied precisely with the practice's equipment and my series of readings were normal (apparently there's something called white coat syndrome which can affect BP readings).

The reason I've deducted a star is that it's far too easy to start the device accidentally and also it's very easy to accidentally delete all of one's saved results. I do however like the fact that it is comfortable in use with hardly any pain as the cuff tightens and that the machine requires no calibration.

Oh! and it would have been good to have a storage / travel bag with the device.

Devolo dLAN Powerline 550 Wi-Fi Network Kit
Devolo dLAN Powerline 550 Wi-Fi Network Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job (after difficulties) but a better option available for BT customers, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My broadband provider is BT. I have a home hub 5 and an 8-port Netgear switch.

Setting up was straightforward; the instructions are minimalist (quite like that) and I was soon able to see the devolo-980 wireless network. One has to note down a 16-letter code found on the back of one of the adapters and enter this when connecting to the network.

All good ... all connected ... but no internet access!

At its simplest it took me half an hour to sort it out (the minimalist instructions do not have any problem solving pages ... presumably because non are anticipated although there is a support hotline number).

Looking back on my experience it is difficult to understand what went wrong. The instructions are clear and I followed them to the letter; the large adapter that connects to one's router via the supplied Ethernet cable requires only one button-press (I needed three). The pair of smaller adapters need only one button press each ... one did and the other just kept flashing red at me (rather than white). I discovered a small hole in the errant adapter (rather like those on computer DVD drives), I assumed this was a reset button (nothing in the manual) and one paper-clip press later I was able to get the system working.

So would I recommend this system? Err; based on my experience I'd say no. I have reasonable network experience but that should not be needed. The wireless coverage is definitely improved. So are there any other downsides? Well; the main adapter is a proper chunky monkey and is best tucked away on an extension lead out of sight. The other adapters almost cover the entire socket such that I had to turn the socket's switch on before plugging the adapter in. The manual needs a troubleshooting page.

If one is a BT customer I'd say the best option would be to stump up £50 and get the new BT Smart Hub leaving £100 in the kitty.

Sourcingmap a10042100ux0395 50mm Wood Boring Set Woodworking Forstner Bit
Sourcingmap a10042100ux0395 50mm Wood Boring Set Woodworking Forstner Bit
Offered by Fly Service

5.0 out of 5 stars Really very good, 21 July 2016
Bought to bore holes in the end of 100 mm diameter treated posts so stainless tubes for a stainless handrail could be inserted.

Was slightly sceptical that it would last long for the price (so I bought two); after drilling seven posts 75 mm deep I am very impressed. No sign of wear and the second cutter remains in its packaging.

Ruko Terrax Hand Held Tap Set DIN 352 Ground M5
Ruko Terrax Hand Held Tap Set DIN 352 Ground M5

1.0 out of 5 stars Brittle, 19 July 2016
Using a 4.5 mm drill (50% thread) in 42 mm diameter stainless tubing for garden handrails (2.4 mm wall thickness).

This is the strangest tap-set I have ever used (background in toolmaking); the first tap (taper) does not cut a full thread when at full depth (it should). The second tap produces more thread profile (but not a full thread at full depth).

The plug tap therefore struggles because it still has to cut a full width thread due to the weaknesses in design of the earlier taps.

Despite the greatest care the plug tap snapped in the stainless tube within the first turn and took a great deal of effort to remove from a £150 handrail. It snapped because the flutes are too deep and because the 1st and 2nd taps are not designed correctly.

I regret he purchase. Look for Serial taps

NETGEAR GS608-400UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch
NETGEAR GS608-400UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and cheaper than the BT product., 9 July 2016
Considered a 4-port BT switch (because I have BT fibre), but decided this was better value for money; it is! One port used from the modem and another seven free. I decided to put all Ethernet connections through the the switch and it worked perfectly; I quite like the flashing data LEDs but they are quite bright.

Overall: better and cheaper than the BT product.

Rapesco Bowfin Half Strip Metal Stapler with 25 Sheet Capacity - Black
Rapesco Bowfin Half Strip Metal Stapler with 25 Sheet Capacity - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault it, 9 July 2016
Really rather good
At what it does
Perfect for stapling up to 25 sheets of paper
Easy to use
Simple to reload
Can't fault it after nearly a month's daily use
Over and out

Scotch 19 mm x 8.89 m Magic Tape Dispenser Cat dispenser and Tape
Scotch 19 mm x 8.89 m Magic Tape Dispenser Cat dispenser and Tape

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather cute, 9 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I note some reviews complaining that this dispenser is difficult to use with one hand; the opening description states "Designed for two-handed dispensing".

My daughters are delighted with the dispenser and have been using it for sticking pictures into their homework books. The great thing about the tape is that it can be written on; is pretty much invisible when in place and it can be peeled and repositioned if necessary.

The cat's right arm pops off to allow the roll to be replaced; the cutting blade on the tail is sharp, but safe to use with a little care.

The reason I have removed a star is because the two-piece injection moulded body has not been aligned properly leaving a distinct sharp edge around the right hand side of the cat's face and all the way down its back.

Mystery & Mayhem (Crime Club)
Mystery & Mayhem (Crime Club)
by The Crime Club

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read together, 8 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My soon-to-be-nine-years'-old daughter has enjoyed this book over the last month. She's not a strong reader so often we would read together or sometimes it would be a bedtime story (depending on the content). She really got into the whole 'mystery' genre and we had a great deal of lovely conversation about what was/is/would-be going on.

I think she would have struggled to keep going by herself, but if one has a child with an enquiring mind this is a great book for strong readers aged about nine upwards.

Doh-Vinci Featuring Disney Frozen Door Design Kit
Doh-Vinci Featuring Disney Frozen Door Design Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant way to occupy children, 2 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My two daughters aged six and eight are both Frozen fans and could not wait to get started with this kit. They have used a similar squeeze-gun applicator in the past and had no problems getting everything ready to start.

I think the key to success with this is to sketch out a few ideas on paper before committing to the real thing. We found a few images online for inspiration and chose pencils the same colour as the design compound. There is enough here for at least a couple of hours of activity and was good to see my daughters working together rather than fighting and arguing.

I left the coloured compounds on a sunny window sill to make sure they flowed easily; sure enough the gun worked well. We lightly marked the chosen designs in pencil and off they went. They also added few other pieces from their collection of bits and bobs (jewels and stars) and the end result is really rather pleasing and to save another arguing opportunity it is now hanging on the bathroom door.

Overall a pleasant way to occupy children

AVANTEK LED Desk Lamp Eye-Care Reading Light Table Lamps Foldable Dimmable Touch Light, 3-Level Dimmer, USB Charging Port, Cool White
Offered by PLEMO UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great aesthetics; a lovely lamp, 2 July 2016
This lamp was supplied to me for review purposes.

Having used this lamp for over a month I have to say I'm very impressed with it. It has been used every day on a computer table to illuminate the keyboard in the evening. The three levels of brightness are just right ( I have another LED lamp that has about sixteen pre-sets that are really over-the-top). The quality of the light is lovely and warm with a good spread to covet most needs. Apart from its use on the computer table we have also used it for my daughter's sewing machine; the lamp's ability to get low down has been very useful in illuminating the needle.

The lamp does not remember the last setting, it simply scrolls through from the lowest to the brightest an then off. The touch switch is properly sensitive; in fact one can operate the switch by hovering one's finger above the sensor ... it really is 'sensitive'.

The lamp's arm holds its position well (there's a supplied allen key to adjust the friction setting on the lower joint) and there's a good range of movement. Whilst the the LED unit tilts it does not rotate. The base incorporates the switch and a very useful 1 Amp USB charging socket. The power supply has a 1.5 metre cable which should be adequate for most users and in use it stays reassuringly cool (unlike some).

The reason I have removed one star is that the base is radiussed on the lower edge which reduces its footprint and although there's a rubber pad to prevent slipping the lamp is not quite as stable as I'd like. In normal use this is not an issue but it could be a problem in some situations for example if used by children.

Having said all that it's a very attractive light with great aesthetics and attention to detail; the whole lamp oozes class and quality. It's very well made with high-quality mouldings and no sharp edges.

Overall it's a lovely lamp

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20