Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 83

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vcall® Smallest mini Wireless Stereo Music Bluetooth 3.0 Headset Hands-free Earphone Headphone or iPhone 6 6 plus 5s 5c 4s 4,iPad 2 3 4 New iPad, iPod, Android, Samsung Galaxy, Smart Phones Bluetooth Devices (White)
Offered by cnvcall

4.0 out of 5 stars As a voice device for the car it has been great, 17 Dec 2014
I have been using this earphone, supplied to me for review purposes, for around a month now and I have to say I rather like it!

The product is nicely packaged (so good for a gift); as well as the earphone, it contains three sizes of silicone ear-buds that are easy to change (and clean!), a short (175 mm) USB charging cable, an ear clip (not shown in the product's photos) and some basic (but adequate) instructions. There's no carry bag, but one can get round that.

The device takes 2.5 hours to charge from flat, but mine was partially charged and was ready for use in an hour. Pairing is simple (standard procedure) ... hold button, wait for blue (always blue?) flashing LED (mine appeared as ZY-S8) and that's it; ready to go.

I have found that the talk time is around the claimed 4 hours. The range is up to 10 metres, but for me I used it mostly in the car. Sound quality was rather good, particularly with speech ... not at all tinny, perhaps slightly on the bassy side for some. The earphone controls are limited to answer / end / reject a call, so sound quality will have to be adjusted via one's connected device.

In terms of fit v sound quality I found one has to push the earphone in quite a bit (of course that depends on one's experience and preference) to get the best sound and when it's in it stays in place. However, I am not so keen on the 'full-depth' experience and preferred to use the ear clip; it worked well for me.

Would I recommend it? Well I think so. It would not be my first choice for listening to music, but it is small and discrete leaving one ear open. As a voice device for the car it has been great

FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 3.0 Male To Micro B Data Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 / Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black/Green)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars No more "sorry; I thought that was my cable" unplugging moments, 17 Dec 2014
I have been using this cable as a charging / data cable on the Galaxy Note 3 for around a month and it has been great.

Firstly, this is a great looking cable. I really (really) like the cheerful nylon jacket that covers the cable; it reminds me of accessory cord used in rock climbing and I think it's just as strong! I have pulled, twisted and bent the cable and it could not care less; no damage. It's flexible but not stiff (or indeed floppy).

The cable has proper shielding of copper braid surrounded by foil (rather like that found on satellite cable), and is protected at the connector-ends by a high- quality, well-designed sleeve that provides stress relief where the cable flexes at the plug and also it provides protection for the soldered joint; this cable is not going to break.

In use in the car, it's length means my daughters can play with my phone (if they're good) whilst it's still charging.it's great to be able to see where the cable is at a glance when reaching to adjust other controls.

At work and at home I've used it to connect my phone to a higher-power charger; perfect, no heating of the cable. It just works. At 6' (1.8 metres) in length it's long enough for most charging / data situations (particularly on cluttered desks) and it's easy to get one's phone out of the way. There's also no "sorry; I thought that was my cable" unplugging moments, thanks to the cable's great colour scheme.

Any downsides? Well none that I can find. Anyway, this cable is definitely worthy of one's consideration.

This product was supplied to me for review purposes.

PRO PLAN Cat Wet NutriSavour Junior with Turkey in Gravy 10x85g (Pack of 4, Total 40 Pouches)

5.0 out of 5 stars All very satisfied here, 15 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We are lucky enough to have two Persian Ragdoll kittens who are around 4 months old. I'd forgotten how much food kittens can consume; indeed it seems that these two will eat play and sleep all day, with eating being their number one priority.

This is the first food they have tried with gravy (usually jelly) and they have absolutely been demolishing the food from the instant I put the bowl down. At the moment one pouch between two sees just a little of the meat left behind, but it's the gravy that they go for ... really; it's gone in seconds.

The new food hasn't coincided with any unpleasant sick of litter-tray problems and it hardly has any odour at all. A bonus for my wife who gets a little retching (sorry!) with some cat food products.

Finally, our sixteen-year-old tortoise shell will get stuck into this as well (if she turns up quickly enough) so I have to say we're all very satisfied here!

EC Technology® 12V/ 3A 30W Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip, With 150 SMD 5050 RGB LEDs, 5 Meter
Offered by EC Technology UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy to set up; flexible and fun, 11 Dec 2014
I have been using these lights, supplied to me for review, for around a week now and I have to say I'm very impressed. They have taken quite a hammering from my daughters (aged 4 and 7) who just love the range of lighting effects this system is capable of producing. My wife rather likes the more gentle ambient lighting that can be created too; it works really well.

Open the box and the system comprises:

5 metre strip of waterproof LEDs
12 Volt power supply and leads
Remote control and infra red (IR) control unit
4 multi-pin connecting and an instruction booklet

The 150 LEDs (light emitting diodes) are on a 10mm wide flexible strip which has a 3M adhesive backing. The strip can be stuck to any clean flat surface by peeling off the protective tape and pressing the LED strip into place. As with any stick-on material it's worth cleaning the surface with isopropyl alcohol. Alternatively one can leave the protective covering on and use it anywhere one chooses.

The black 12 Volt power supply is small enough to tuck out of the way (110 x 50 x 30mm) and it's rated at 3 Amps.

To get started, just open the sealed plastic bag which holds a 16 cm diameter plastic reel of LEDs; it has a rather strong chemical smell from the adhesive, but this soon clears in an hour or two. If one wants to have an initial play with the lights it's not necessary to unwind the strip; just carefully join the black 4-pin connector plug (in the centre of the reel) to the corresponding plug on the IR controller (there is a plug on each end of the LED strip which allows another strip to be daisy-chained to the first, although a higher rated power supply will be needed to run two 5 metre strips). There's another short cable coming from the IR controller ... this is the IR receiver that the remote control needs to be aimed at.

It is possible to shorten the strip, or cut it and buy extension jumper leads for example if one wants to run the lights under kitchen cupboards (a variety of lengths are available, as well as angled connectors and splitter-strips ... have a search on Amazon for '5050 LED connector' to see what's available. The user manual is perfectly adequate (although perhaps a little small for some).

Once connected up, switch on and play with the remote. There are 44 pads that allow considerable control over the LED strip. There are pre-programmed sequences, for example jump3 ... this flashes through 3 colours: red, green, and blue. Jump7 ... guess what that mode does? Among the colours that can be produced are red, blue, green, white, orange, light yellow, dark yellow, light green, dark blue, purple, brown, milk white (beige), cyan and brown.

Other buttons allow a choice from 20 preset colours; there's an auto display button that really showcases the system's capabilities which is great to look at (for a while!). There are 6 DIY buttons that allow one to save one's own sequences ... and they stay in memory too. The remote can also pause and resume sequences, control brightness, fade and the running speed of programs.

So ... there we are. In use we've found the system to be a lot of fun, almost addictive in truth; the lighting effects are simply splendid.

In conclusion then; this LED system is absolutely definitely worthy of one's consideration.

EC TECHNOLOGY® 12V Flexible LED Strip Lights, RGB, 150 Units 5050 LEDs, Waterproof, Light Strips, Pack of 16.4ft

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy to set up; flexible and fun;, 11 Dec 2014

Open the box and the system comprises:

5 metre strip of waterproof LEDs
12 Volt power supply and leads
Remote control and infra red (IR) control unit
4 multi-pin connecting and an instruction booklet

Coachies Cat Treats 65g (Tuna)
Coachies Cat Treats 65g (Tuna)
Offered by Mighty Oak Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Our cat's number one treat, 11 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We tried this product with our sixteen-year-old tortoiseshell female house cat. She eats most things presented to her and we normally provide a buffet of cat-food (in jelly) and assorted cat biscuits. She also eats curry!

Anyway ... over the years we have tried lots of treats with the cat; well these have hit just the right spot. She sits by the cupboard where these treats are kept and stays there until her patience is rewarded (she has never done that before). Just a few will do, but we have now started to buy these Coachies treats on a regular basis due to her persistence.

Pure Pop Mini Portable DAB Digital/FM Radio
Pure Pop Mini Portable DAB Digital/FM Radio

3.0 out of 5 stars Good radio. Quirky controls not so good for me (+update), 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I rather like this little radio. It's easy to set up and used purely as a radio it's great. Out of box and working takes no more than 5 minutes. The sound quality from a relatively small unit (it has a 75 mm speaker) is fine and size-wise the unit (measuring around 90 mm wide x 140 mm high x 90 mm deep) is compact.

At full volume it does not distort; I'd say it is the right power and size for a kitchen, home office or bedside radio.

So; tuning, switching between DAB & FM is easy. The volume control is great (a pop-up jam jar lid?) and a really easy on / off button (the same lid). I'd guess that the volume and sound quality should suit most.

From a power supply point of view the radio is quite versatile; it can run on its supplied mains lead (micro USB socket), on AA batteries (I've used rechargeables without problem), or one can use a Pure-designed integral power pack (not supplied)... incidentally no reference can be found to the ChargePAK D1 ... anywhere!

With regard to DAB FM performance it was pretty good if near a window. That has applied to any radio we've had here in Devon ... thick walls and hills for us. There are websites that can indicate likely coverage, but if this is one's first foray into DAB radio I'd say see if there's a radio one can borrow first!

Anything not to like? Well that depends on how fussed one is about the quality of instructions for the other features of this radio, and the intuitiveness of the controls.

The other features include:

Alarms and timers (3 in total)

Options including: Adjust backlight, Change information shown, Adjust bass, Adjust treble, Set the time and date, Set clock synchronization options, Set 12 or 24 hour time format.

One can also access the following: Set the language, Update software, Display software version, Reset to factory settings.

The first thing I tried was to check for a software update on the Pure website; there is/was an update (from 1.0 to 1.1) and I managed to install that (via PC and USB cable) without too much effort, but that's where my comment about the intuitiveness of the controls arises. When the radio is on the large pop-up button partially obscures the control buttons to the rear-top of the unit. One has to look at the display (very good it is too!) and then press left, right and select whilst looking concentrating on the screen. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but my instinct to adjust the settings was to rotate the control to change the settings and push it to select.

Now that's obviously not how it works, but I really found altering the lesser-used settings rather clunky. That's the only reason I've knocked a star off. If the settings method doesn't interest one, or indeed if one is unlikely to access many settings and use it out of the box, then I'd say it'll be a five-star radio for you.

Oh! This radio (mini) does not have bluetooth.

Update 9/12/14 (evening)

Having re-read my review I thought I'd try using the sleep function ... it's now mysteriously disabled and similarly, the timer is the same and I have not found a way to enable the alarms (including using the factory reset option). Whether this is linked to the update, or something I've done I don't know, but it's starting tp loose its appeal. 3 Stars now.

Soft Shell Portable Ice Cream Maker
Soft Shell Portable Ice Cream Maker

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids like making ice cream (for a while), 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well! We have had a week of making home-made (home-rolled) ice cream and for the most part the product has performed exactly as described.

At its simplest ... in one end in goes cream, sugar and vanilla extract; in the other end one pours ice and rock salt. Then move the ball around for approximately 20 minutes (with a stir at 10) and that's it ... vanilla ice cream ready to eat.

There is a little more to know about before deciding to buy this though. Firstly some dimensions; it's around 9" (23 cm) diameter, and when it's full it weighs in at around 7.5 lbs (about 3.5 kilos), so don't expect young children to gaily run around the garden for 20 minutes with this ball. Actually it is rather heavy and young children (tried it with a 4 & 7 year-old)soon get tired; it's much more sensible to roll it around. The instructions do make it clear that the ball should not dropped, kicked, thrown or bounced.

Filling is straight forward; lift the flap and unscrew the cap. If the aperture inside looks like a pint glass-sized space, put the chosen ingredients in (reasonable recipe book included) and fully tighten the cap. If it doesn't look like a pint glass-sized space put in the ice and rock salt.

Now, I notice some complaints about not knowing which end is which after rolling; well one cap is yellow with a white handle ... white = ice cream. The other cap is white with a yellow handle ... don't eat yellow snow (ice). It works for me (and the girls like the rolling and the eating).

Any thing not to like? Well one does need rather a lot of ice. Happily we have an ice-maker but it couldn't stand more than a couple of refills of the ball and took it about 2 days to for the ice-maker to replenish itself. I did read about someone using water with rock salt and making a slushy mix in the freezer but I haven't tried that.

Also, one does need to tighten the caps quite tightly; I found it easiest to use both hands and twist the cap with the locking flap raised ... it worked for me.

Cleaning? Well the soft cover comes off and can be hand washed. The rest has been (top shelf) in our dishwasher and seems fine.

Can I recommend it? Well yes I can because it does do what it says it will do. If one is prepared to read the reviews and the manufacturer's detail there should be no surprises. It's not the easiest, cheapest way to make ice cream, but it is good fun (for a while).

Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G
Tacwise 180 NAIL ASSORTMENT PACK (4000) 18G

5.0 out of 5 stars No jamming, easily penetrate softwood, 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These nails will fit in a variety of electric (and air) powered nail guns and work very well indeed. I've used them to re-fix hardboard panels to the back of my daughter's (cheapish) wardrobe. The panels are rebated and using a standard veneer or panel pin (with a hammer) is very difficult and likely to end up with damaged pine ... for this job I used the 15mm brads; they went in easily, no jammed nails (or bent ones had I been using 'traditional' methods).

I have also used a combination of the 15, 25 & 30 mm brads to build a new small window frame (for above a kitchen door). Again, the brads went in easily. I used the 30mm for the main carcass and the 25mm for the mouldings. Bang! Straight in, accurate and most importantly with the mouldings, no splitting.

I've also used the 30mm brads to build a small wood storage unit out of treated feather-board and 3 x 2. I'd expect the galvanised finish to stand the weather ... it might be of interest to note the nails are available in stainless steel. Would definitely recommend.

Card of 12 Brightly Coloured Neon Endless Elastics-Green,Orange,Yellow,Pink Christmas Stocking Filler Gift Idea Christmas Stocking Filler Gift Idea
Offered by Glamour Girlz

1.0 out of 5 stars Endless? I found the ends all too easily, 5 Dec 2014
The first three out of the packet snapped when I tried to use them ... poor show. They are rather small (about 30mm diameter), they lack stretchiness; I can just get three turns on my daughter's pony tail ... not enough to 'stay in' all day.

Oh! And there are sharp edges where the bands are (initially) joined.

I regret the purchase.