Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 67

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oral B Vitality Plus White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Vitality Plus White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars A no frills brush for the family, 21 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This brush is suitable for adults and children aged 3+ and has had a fair workout in our house this week; overall I'd say it does a pretty good job and is worthy of one's consideration.

I'd hope most people (including children) use an electric toothbrush; they are so much better at cleaning one's teeth when compared to a manual brush. We've had electric brushes in our household for almost 20 years (eek!) and over that time there are three key points I look for when replacing a brush:

How much does it cost?

How much are replacement heads?

How long is the guarantee?

The actual effectiveness in cleaning teeth perhaps comes a surprising fourth; not because I don't care about dental hygiene, but because if one isn't constantly consuming sugar-filed junk and brushes one's teeth regularly, for the correct length of time with a decent toothpaste, then even the most basic brush will keep the teeth in good order.

I think this brush represents very good value for money, especially as the guarantee can be extended to three years by registering on-line ... excellent! The replacement brush heads are very reasonably priced and this is very important; if the brush heads are too expensive, it's possible they won't be replaced on time leading to less effective brushing (the whole point of an electric toothbrush really).

We have been mostly a Sonicare household in recent years and I think the brushing experience is slightly better than the Oral B. However, the prices for genuine Sonicare brush heads can be prohibitive; especially for the small-sized brushes for the Sonicare Kids ... they are £8 each and last about eight weeks!

So this is a no frills, base-model brush and apart from a pulse after two minutes to let the user know they've brushed for the recommended time , that's it ... no thirty-second quadrant pulse ... something I find very useful, especially with children. There's not even an indicator to remind one to recharge the battery, so it would be best if the brush can be permanently stored on its charging base if one's situation permits. So it really is almost as basic as one can get. The battery will last for about twenty minutes on a full charge (about five days on a twice a day routine).

However; having said all of that it is an entry-level brush and it's all about keeping the costs down.

The base of the brush is quite small and it's prone to falling over if stood on the back of the sink. It designed to be able to lie flat on its back without rolling over; useful if one puts toothpaste on the brush ready for a child to use.

Based on my experience with all of the various brushes I'd say this is a good brush that can be used by the whole family. It's supplied with two brush heads and potentially a three year warranty. If I was starting out for the first time, particularly with children in the house, I'd buy this brush and lots of brush heads (and do have a look at the brush head prices compared to the Sonicare).

Purina ONE Indoor Wet Tuna & Chicken Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars No hairballs here, 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been trialling this product with our sixteen-year-old tortoiseshell female house cat. She eats most things presented to her and we normally provide a buffet of cat-food (in jelly) and assorted cat biscuits. She also eats curry!

Anyway, she had no problems with the taste of the food and rather enjoys the gravy. She's a house cat and rather prone to coughing up sicky-hairballs (sorry), well she's been eating the Purina ONE for a week now ... and no hairballs! Co-incidence? ... possibly, but given this product is designed for indoor cats and aims to minimise hairball formation I will give it the benefit of the doubt. The cat agrees too.

We also have two younger cats and they too are rarely are offered food with gravy (usually jelly) and they have absolutely been demolishing the food from the instant I put the bowl down, as another reviewer mentioned, it looks good enough for human consumption.

At the moment a tuna pouch sees everything gone with nothing left behind, but it's the gravy that they go for ... really; it's gone in seconds. They also eat all the chicken but are less keen (at the moment) on the carrots.

My only niggle is that the cardboard box is difficult to open and it's also quite difficult to empty the whole pouch without getting gravy on one's hands; one star removed because of this.

The new food hasn't coincided with any unpleasant sick or litter-tray problems and it has hardly has any odour at all. A bonus for my wife who gets a little retching (sorry!) with some cat food products.

Philips GC3811/80 Azur Performer Steam Iron with 160 g Steam Boost and Steam Glide Plus Soleplate, 2400 Watt, Multi-Colour

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful but its lead may be too short for some, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm chief ironer in our house and for those 'two baskets of ironing' days I use a steam generator iron and an oversized ironing board; however, when a one-off object pops up I use an old normal-sized steam iron.

The first thing I'd say about this iron is that it does iron really well! The steam boost function produces a rate of steam that's on a par with the cheaper steam generators. The tip of the iron is especially well designed making it easy to get around fiddly buttons and appliqué patches.

I found that the iron heats up quickly (2400 Watts rather than the more common 2200) and the rotary heat control is easy to use. The auto-steam function works well on all materials apart from synthetics; steam boost should only be used on cotton and linen.

The iron is easy to fill (tilt at an angle) and takes around 300 ml of water which should see one through a reasonable ironing session (unless one is holding the steam boost button all the time). Not including the cable, the iron weighs in (empty) at around 1.2 Kg and 1.5 Kg when full. It glides easily across the materials and I found it didn't drip or make the clothes wet. The heel of the iron is well proportioned and the iron stands on it quite securely.

Talking of heels ... this iron has an Achilles' heel and it's the cable; it's too short at 1.9 metres. If one is ironing with sockets higher up the wall (kitchen or utility room) then it 'may' be long enough. In our house using sockets nearer the floor I could not iron easily, even with the board as close to the wall as possible. I had to resort to using an extension cable with the socket on the end of the board; that's why I've removed a star.

Overall I'd say it was a very good iron ... I haven't tried steaming the curtains yet (it can be used vertically), but apart from the short lead I would definitely recommend this iron; it produces excellent levels of steam and gives great results on creased clothes.

Purina ONE Adult Wet Chicken & Beef Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)
Purina ONE Adult Wet Chicken & Beef Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied cats here, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our two young cats spend most of the day playing and sleeping, with eating being their number one priority.

They rarely are offered with gravy (usually jelly) and they have absolutely been demolishing the food from the instant I put the bowl down, as another reviewer mentioned, it looks good enough for human consumption. At the moment one pouch between two sees just a little of the meat left behind, but it's the gravy that they go for ... really; it's gone in seconds.

Finally, our sixteen-year-old tortoise shell will get stuck into this as well (if she turns up quickly enough) so I have to say we're all very satisfied here!

Philips Satin Soft Wet and Dry Epilator
Philips Satin Soft Wet and Dry Epilator

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions for novices, 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using this epilator for over a week now and she is fairly pleased with the results. She's not a great fan of self-inflicted pain but she really would like to stop shaving her legs and epilate instead.

She tried a mains powered epilator about two years ago and eventually gave up on it due to the pain and redness of her skin. As I said, she's more determined this time and it seems her persistence is starting to pay off. The tweezers will pluck out hairs as short as 0.5mm and by working on a small area at a time and using moisturiser she has not had such a painful experience. She has been assured that eventually her body will get used to the process and that the pain will gradually lessen after each use.

As pretty-well everyone has said, the included pictorial instructions are pretty-much useless for a novice, especially because there are five attachments. We managed to work out what they were intended for by looking at the product's details further down on the Amazon page. We did spend a while browsing the Philips website, but that was fruitless and ended in a repetitive loop returning us the 'choose your product' page.

I have to say that for a technological giant such as Philips, that's pretty slack to release a product with poor user documentation and not have back-up material on-line.

Anyway ... the skin stretcher; it did work to certain degree for my wife, but she found that stretching her skin with her 'spare' hand was more effective. The sensitive area cap is a good idea; essentially it masks off some of the tweezers making it easier to control the hair removal (and reducing the pain a little).

The device is cordless, charges in less than an hour and my wife used it three or four times and it still hasn't needed a recharge. The fact it can be used in the shower is bonus and wet-epilation seems to be less painful. Cleaning is easy and the carry-pouch is great for keeping everything together.

So there we are; so far so good but expect to experiment for the best results ... at least until a proper set of instructions are made available.

Playshoes Kids Elastic with Genuine Leather Girl's Belt Pink 75 cm
Playshoes Kids Elastic with Genuine Leather Girl's Belt Pink 75 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-made and adjustable, 10 Mar. 2015
A smart fully adjustable belt bought to go with my daughter's first pair of jeans. It's good quality and it should last quite a while with built-in adjustment. My daughter can do-up and release the buckle by herself, so definitely recommended.

Three Mobile Broadband Ready to Go3GB Preloaded Data MicroSIM for3G Tablets
Three Mobile Broadband Ready to Go3GB Preloaded Data MicroSIM for3G Tablets
Offered by Alpha Com

5.0 out of 5 stars Hassle-free data Sim, 10 Mar. 2015
Bought for use in a Netgear mobile hotspot so that my daughters can use their iPads when we're on holiday. It works well, no need to register but if one wishes to keep an eye on the data usage, remaining time, or to top-up in the future , then it's only a few minutes to register with my3.

The only aspect I can't fathom is why all of the data cards have to be time limited (3 months in this case); I've paid for it so why do I have to use it within a set time?

Anyway; no problems at all, so recommended despite the time limits.

1 KILO bag of fabric remnants-Fabric off cuts-Perfect for scrapbooking, Card making, Doll clothes & all other Craft or Hobbying
Offered by Crazyladies Costumes

5.0 out of 5 stars A great range of materials, textures and colours, 10 Mar. 2015
Excellent value for money. Bought for my daughter who is learning to use her new small sewing machine. A great range of materials, textures and colours. We are having a great time and there really is a lot of cloth for the money.

Definitely recommended,

Realuse 1.5L Really Useful Pencil/ Stationery Box - Clear
Realuse 1.5L Really Useful Pencil/ Stationery Box - Clear

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but not for young children, 10 Mar. 2015
Bought to store my daughters' new set of pens and pencils. Useful size, particularly because it will hold a 30 cm ruler.

Unfortunately the lid is very flimsy and brittle; my daughter accidentally trod on the lid and instead of bending (like a Tupperware lid), it split, cracked and a piece broke off leaving a razor-sharp edge ... the lid is now in the bin.

So there we are; a useful box but perhaps not suited to younger children who don't always look where they're walking!

1 x Pack of 24 BLONDE WAVED HAIRPINS BOBBY PINS KIRBY GRIPS APPROX. 4.5CM IN LENGTH
Offered by Wings and Things13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gripping grips, 10 Mar. 2015
Bought to hold hair in a blonde mini bun ring for my daughter. The are a darker blonde colour (but so is she).

The main thing that attracted me to these is the price; having had a search around prior to purchase I think these offer good value for money and they do the intended job very well indeed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20