Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 63

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless outcomes, 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well almost a month on and these tiles are still being played with each day by my daughters ( 5 and 7). They sometimes create something together ... a building for example, or just a 2D mosaic; it requires little guidance or intervention from an adult (freedom).

In use the tiles' magnetic force is a little on the weak side (deliberate I imagine) and in one sense its rather like trying to build with cards ... it takes care and dexterity and the shape of the structure is the key. However, my children have soon got to grips with this and realise that to build taller structures it takes thought and attention to detail.

When it goes wrong there is often a spectacular crash (house of cards), but for the most part the girls don't seem to mind and either start again or build something else.

Would I recommend them? Well yes; most certainly I would. I note some comments about value for money and that's entirely subjective, but this is a properly creative toy. I've spent quite a few pounds on Lego (Dolphin Cruiser) and once it's built that's it. So that's what I really like ... the endless options to create something new.

Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre
Philips HR2162/91 Viva Collection Blender, 600 Watt, 2 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and clean. Light weight jug ... great!, 21 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this blender for the best part of a month now and it has performed faultlessly. It has a decent capacity (2 litres) and the blades are able to mash up everything I've put in it, including ice cubes.

I particularly like the rotating dial control switch. It's easy to operate and nice and 'grippy', so great if one has damp hands! At its simplest the softer the ingredients the lower the speed and vice versa.

The lid is a good fit on the jug and they can both go in the dishwasher (the blade is easily detached). The jug is made break-resistant plastic and has useful measuring indicators on the side. I am pleased that the jug is plastic. I used another blended with a glass jug ... I was terrified of dropping it (wet hands again) and it was very heavy, especially when full. The Philips jug is much lighter and the handle is also easy to grip and the jug pours well.

The rubber suction-style feet do their job very well and the blender stays put when being used.

Overall I think this is a great bit of kit, especially because of the control and the lightweight jug.

Creature Teacher
Creature Teacher
by Sam Watkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Loses it towards the end (and perhaps in the middle), 14 May 2015
This review is from: Creature Teacher (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've had this book for almost a month now. We really loved the premise of the story ... a teacher that's really a creature. Wow! What a great idea. My seven (soon to be eight) year-old daughter was thrilled with the concept and listened avidly for the first few chapters; she really enjoyed the monochrome drawings and changes in font style that added to the story line. Unfortunately (for us) the initial pace and interest dropped to a dialogue of (paraphrasing) "he said", "she said", "he gasped", "she whispered" which really slowed down the storyline; especially if it was being read to a child as a bedtime story.

I found myself compensating for this by reading quickly ahead and changing the script to keep the story going.

So; overall a very good story. It may miss a few tricks for younger readers and for me the story was too padded out.

Worthy of consideration for competent readers 7+ but not a great bedtime read in my opinion.

Nivea Cellular Anti-Age Skin Rejuvenation Concentrated Serum 40 ml
Nivea Cellular Anti-Age Skin Rejuvenation Concentrated Serum 40 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars It has made a difference, 7 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using this serum for around three weeks now and both she and I have noticed a definite reduction in the surface lines and wrinkles that she hates. The serum quite creamy and is absorbed very quickly into the skin leaving just a very slight fragrance; she then uses her usual moisturiser.

I was interested to read about hyaluronic acid and found that it occurs naturally in our bodies and has been shown to improve skin hydration, and stimulate production of collagen helping to maintain skin elasticity. Levels of hyaluronic acid decrease with age and it has been suggested that by our mid-forties, the level of hyaluronic acid is roughly half that required by the body.

As mentioned at the start of the review, my wife has been very pleased with this product; it's very easy to apply and the lines have most definitely reduced and she is much happier with the appearance of her skin.

Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp
Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb but better with a bridge, 14 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this lamp pretty-well non stop for about two weeks. As a stand alone lamp it's rather lovely to look at even when it's not switched on.

It has its own internal battery and after charging it can (obviously) be unplugged and used anywhere. A single button on the back of the unit allows one to cycle through steady individual colours, or a demo-style mode that moves through a range of colours and hues. Whilst running on battery, the brightness is reduced to conserve power, but the lighting effects still work very well; especially outside in the evening.

When mains adapter powered (supplied) the light is much brighter and in a darkened living room it is is quite captivating ... really.

However (and sorry if you already know this), to get the most out of this light one really needs to link it to something called a bridge. A bridge is a device made by Philips that can control up to fifty Hue lights ... it plugs via Ethernet cable into one's modem and after plugging in the supplied power supply the user is ready to download Philips software and away we go; total control ... but ... I didn't have a bridge.

Never mind; I shall order one from Philips! Err, No! No you won't; not unless you wish to buy a starter kit! I emailed Philips asking if I could buy a bridge; they are not available as a discrete item ... only as part of a kit containing a bridge and two Hue bulbs (have a search for 'Hue starter kit' on Amazon).

Anyway; I decided I really wanted a bridge and tracked a brand new one down on e b a y for under £20. Once set up one can control the device (via the bridge) from computer, smart phone or tablet using free Philips software or apps; and they work very well indeed. I have been using software called IFTTT that uses 'recipes' to create amazing control over the Hue lights. For example the light can turn on / off at sunset and sunrise. It can flash when you have a email ... it can even let you know when your teams scored a goal (and so it goes on).

All of the above requires the bridge ... so if you are considering this lamp as an introduction to the Hue range (and I think you should) then check out the availability of a bridge without having to buy a starter kit.

Of course if you already knew all of this ... sorry for wasting your time.

Anyway, as I said at the start; the lamp and it's colour range and controllable effects are truly lovely.

Powerfly Unisex Abdominal Muscle Toning Belt
Powerfly Unisex Abdominal Muscle Toning Belt

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but remember to use it, 9 April 2015
Once upon a time I used to have a 'six pack' earned by hours and hours in the gym. I don't have a 'six pack' any more so I thought I'd give this device a try.

Does it work? Well yes it does, it works rather well actually and after a month's use I can definitely feel an improvement in the muscle tone and shape. I do remember what my original six pack felt like.

However, my new six pack is not visible in the manner shown in the product's pictures; if you want a stomach / body like that, then get down the gym (as well as using the belt).

Overall I'd say this is a great addition to toning one's muscles. The kit is easy to set up and use and there are a variety of setting to experiment with. Hopefully this belt will be part of a new fitness regime that will help one get back on the road to exercise and a healthier life style, but it can't work miracles.

As it says on the product's Amazon page "...the Powerfly Abdominal Muscle Toner Belt is entirely ineffective if left in the box ... " so if you decide to buy it do make sure you use it at least five times per week.

Kenley Heat Powered Stove Fan with 2-Blades
Kenley Heat Powered Stove Fan with 2-Blades

5.0 out of 5 stars Heat your ceilings a little less, 9 April 2015
I have been using this stove fan, supplied to me for review purposes for around a month now and I have to say it is very good at its job.

At its simplest, the fan is placed towards the back or side of a flat-top stove and the heat from the stove is blown around the room rather than sitting on the ceiling or disappearing up the chimney. It requires no external power; it uses heat from the stove to provide electricity for the fan motor.

I can confirm that in use it's pretty well silent; doesn't move about and really helps to redistribute the hot air from around the stove. I wish I'd had one a few years ago!

A few points to note? Well, the manufacturers recommend that the fan is not used when the temperature of the stove exceeds 345° ... probably not a good idea to run a stove at this temperature anyway.

The aluminium stove fan gets very hot ... use the handle and gloves to move / remove the fan.

Keep children away from the magic spinning thingy!

That's it really!

Kenley Vacuum Food Sealer Packing Sous Vide Machine 30cm + 10 Free Bags
Kenley Vacuum Food Sealer Packing Sous Vide Machine 30cm + 10 Free Bags

5.0 out of 5 stars Save more, throw out less, 9 April 2015
At its simplest, this machine will save you money by making your food last longer. As soon as sealed food packaging is opened, air gets to the food and it starts to deteriorate ... and sometimes rather too quickly; faster even than the 'use within tow days of opening' blurb on the packaging.

The machine is provided with ten 22 x 30 cm good-quality vacuum bags. They are suitable for the fridge or the freezer and even the microwave; best of all is they are reusable and can go in the dishwasher too! Each use results in a shorter bag as the seal has to be cut off, but with care the bags can be used several times. Replacements work out at around 22p each

The supplied instruction are fine and I had soon used up my ten bags. I did try and vacuum seal some strawberries ... squish ... freeze soft fruit before sealing!

Size-wise the machine sits easily on the work surface and the lead should be long enough for most kitchens.

Overall we have found this product really useful and I would expect to have much less unnecessary food wastage!

This machine was provided for review purposes

Kukubird Small Sheep print long shawls / scarves / wraps / head scarf / pashmina - NAVY
Offered by KukuBird

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of happy sheep!, 9 April 2015
A versatile shawl that has rows of white sheep stood among turquoise tufts of grass. One row is looking at you with a smiley face, the next row is looking sideways (16 alternate columns of 34 sheep making around 544 in total!). Each sheep is roughly 30 mm diameter.

My wife has been using this for around three weeks and describes it as very soft on the skin. She's worn it as a headscarf and as a shoulder wrap and has had compliments from her colleagues at work.

From a practical point of view the material can be washed at 30°, ironed on a cool setting, or dry-cleaned. I also like the fact that the care label is very small making it hardly noticeable when the shawl is being worn. The edges are well stitched too, so all in all a lovely product at a bargain price.

Kindly supplied for review purposes.

KUKUBIRD TWO TONES PLAIN FAUX LEATHER DESIGNER LARGE HANDBAG - ASH GREY
KUKUBIRD TWO TONES PLAIN FAUX LEATHER DESIGNER LARGE HANDBAG - ASH GREY
Offered by KukuBird

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design and attention to detail, 9 April 2015
This is a very stylish and well-made bag. It has a capacity of around eleven litres. In our changeable weather my wife has managed to carry the usual mysterious items and even a small umbrella.

The bag comprises two outer compartments with large 23 cm brass zipped pockets with large zip toggles; (great in the dark or the wet or with gloved hands). The flower-patterned liners look great and can be pulled inside-out to make cleaning easy.

The main compartment of the bag comprises of three pockets, two large open pockets and one smaller brass-zipped space. One of the larger pockets has two useful open pouches (approximately 10 cm deep x 12 cm wide and the other is 10 x 7). The other large pocket has an 18 cm zipped pocket.

The larger pockets will easily hold an iPad in its case and still have room for a charger and cables for example. The main compartment is closed using a single magnetic popper-style fastening; it is however quite a strong catch and is unlikely to open by accident. There are large press-studs at either end of the bag to reduce its width if the full capacity is not being used.

The handle loops are large and comfortable; she does like occasionally to carry handbags over her shoulder using the normal handles and found them just very slightly short for this, but for heavier loads, style or convenience, the detachable, fully-adjustable strap is long enough (1.3 - 0.75 metres) to be worn across the body if so desired. My wife found the shoulder strap comfortable and easy to adjust.

The attention to detail is great and the brass detailing looks superb against the exterior. In summary, this smart looking bag will hold a good deal and the clever use of compartments makes it easier to locate things that otherwise disappear to the bottom of a single compartment bag. My wife has been using the bag rather a lot in the last three weeks and she thinks it is a great bag for everyday use.

The bag was kindly supplied to me for review purposes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20