Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 65

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Detangling Brush By Debonhair - Professional Quality Best Knot Detangler ★Glides Thru All Hair Types★ - Natural, Thick, Curly, Thin, Fine, Colour Treated - Detangling Comb For Wet And Dry Hair - Adults And Kids - For Ultimate Healthy Results.
Offered by Retroprice

5.0 out of 5 stars The best de-tangle brush we've used, 5 Mar. 2015
I have been using this brush, supplied to me for review, for around a week now on both my daughters' hair (they're aged 7 & 4). The eldest girl has longish hair (mid-back) and getting tangles out of her hair has been a long-standing problem, whether it's wet or dry. The youngest has shorter hair (just touching shoulders) but it is very thick and at her age she complains a lot when we try to get her hair tangle-free to the full depth

We have tried two other detangler brushes with limited results. The brush without a handle was a not so easy to hold and it didn't de-tangle the hair all the way through; it was also awkward to use when trying to get hair into a pony tail.

The other brush has a handle and was easier to use, but it still did not de-tangle the hair all the way through. The solution (given lots of trial an error) that worked for us is after shampooing, we use conditioner, followed by a wet comb-through with an afro comb, dried with a hair dryer, and a final brush through with a detangler brush.

However, this Debonhair brush has worked really well for us. We have stopped using the afro comb and we now just brush the conditioned hair through when wet; blow dry and then a quick second run-through with the Debonhair and the job's done. On dry hair the story is much the same; it works very well indeed.

In use the handle is quite comfortable to hold, although, as another reviewer has mentioned, the curved nature of the brush may make it more suitable for right-handed use. The brush has a series of long plastic individual 'spines' rather than bristles, and each has a very slight curved hook at the end. The spines are around 16mm long (shorter than our other brushes) and are spaced at approximately 6mm (actually 1/4") intervals. Between the spines are a shorter variety (about 8mm) of spines, that are also slightly hooked.

I imagine it's because of the the shorter spines that this brush give better results. They are more rigid (stiffer) than the other brushes, and perhaps that's what makes this brush perform so well; however, the brush does not hurt one's scalp (my girls would have let me know) and it performs very well indeed.

Definitely worthy of one's consideration.

Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition
Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, compact and easy to keep together, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After a week's use my wife gives this the thumbs up. She usually visits the local beauty salon for eyebrow and top lip work (£9 every six weeks) so the space between her eyebrows (the glabella apparently ... means smooth), is used to hairs being extracted by the roots and therefore the unavoidable redness caused by epilation is minimal. However, for her, epilation of the space above the upper lip remains very painful indeed. However, she reports that it did remove the hairs effectively ... even the very finest (almost invisible) ones.

Having said all of that my wife will now use this Braun epilator rather than visiting the salon. She finds the device easy to hold and the on / off switch is in just the right place for easy easy control when used in either hand. The switch can be moved left or right to control the direction of rotation ... this is very useful, because for the best results one should set the device so that the tweezers rotate against the direction of hair growth, so it's great for both left and right-hand use.

The instruction manual is very well written and gives useful advice and tips to get the best from the device, for example how to stretch the skin with one's tongue when epilating the top lip area.

The epilator head is easy to remove and the cleansing brush clicks easily into place. Again my wife is pleased with the results using her usual cleanser ... much better than using cotton pads. The brush unit can be rinsed under the tap, or for a more thorough clean, the bristle unit pops out. Brushes are recommended to be replaced every three months (or so).

Also included with the set is a small compact mirror (glass about 65mm diameter) with a bright (but not blinding LED); originally we had a problem with this unit in that if one opens the mirror to more than 90° it tips over backwards. Holding the mirror with one hand is not really an option when epilating as the spare hand will frequently be in use to stretch the skin to ensure the best results.

We only realised (by looking at the product's pictures!), that the solution (or should I say, correct use), is to fold the stand back under itself so the mirror can't tip backwards ... whoops!

The device is supplied with a two-year warranty, it's powered by a single AA battery and overall it does its job very well; it is thoroughly recommended by my wife (and me too, if it saves £78 per year on Salon fees).

[5V/2A Adapter Fast Charge] AVANTEK 20000mAh Dual-Port 4.8A Output External Battery Pack Portable Backup USB Charger Power Bank with Smart Charging Circuit & White LED Flashlight for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air mini, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 4 3 2 Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One, Google Nexus, Nokia Lumia and Other Cell Phones, Android Smartphones & Tablets
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars This can charge 2 tablets at the same time., 26 Feb. 2015
This huge-capacity 20000 mAh power bank is capable of charging smart phones several times from a fully-charged power bank. *see below*

The power bank, sent to me for review purposes, has 2 USB output ports and a micro USB charging port. The outputs are rated at a massive 2.4 Amps and the power bank will easily charge two devices at the same time. It is supplied with a good-quality white 50 cm micro-USB cable and unusually, a mains USB adapter that will charge the power bank at 2 Amps. For connections other than micro USB one will have to use the cables supplied with the device to be charged.

Its charge level is displayed by four small blue LEDs, each representing 25% of remaining power. When the power bank has less than 5% power remaining one LED will flash. There is also a useful torch feature activated by pressing the power button twice.

The device will fit in a coat pocket, but would be better carried in a bag; it measures approximately 160 x 75 x 25 mm, and it weighs in at just over 400 grammes. It has a white, smooth-finished case with very smart radiused sides.

It retains its charge exceptionally well; it contains top-grade Samsung lithium ion battery cells and it can be charged from a computer's USB port, or a phone charger, but to get the power bank fully charged as quickly as possible it's best to use the supplied mains adapter USB charger.

I am very pleased with this power bank due to its large-capacity battery and smart design. I'm particularly impressed with its fast-recharge time; using the mains adapter it can be charged from empty to full in around 12 hours. When charging 2 iPads simultaneously the power bank remains cool to the touch. The power bank will automatically power-off when the connected device is fully charged.

The fact that it holds its charge for a good length of time means it'll still be able to charge a phone or tablet even if I've forgotten to recharge the power bank; I'd definitely recommend it. Oh! and the packaging is very smart (and recyclable) if this were to be a gift; the instructions are very well-written too!

Is there anything not to like? Well no, not really; I would have liked to see included a bag / pouch to keep cables together, but hey-ho! ... a minor point. I haven't been able to find out how long the warranty is, so I assume it's for 12 months.

*And now some maths* ...

One might imagine that a 20000 mAh power bank could recharge a Smartphone's 2000 mAh battery 10 times (well that's what I thought anyway!) Here's the answer ...

Firstly, how long will it take to charge a power bank from completely empty to full? The re-charging time depends on the capacity of the power bank, its remaining power and the power supply used.

For example: AVANTEK power bank = 20000mAh (0% remaining). Power supply input = 2000mAh (supplied mains charger), although this value is reduced by 20% due to power loss in the charge / discharge process.

The calculation therefore is 20000mAh / 1600mAh = 12.5 hours (from completely flat).

So how many times can a power bank charge a phone?

A similar formula applies to calculate number of times a power bank can charge a phone.

AVANTEK power bank: 20000mAh, phone battery: 2000mAh

The calculation is (20000mAh x 90% x 80%) / 2000mAh
= 14400 / 2000
= 7.2

So roughly 7 times (assuming the phone's battery is completely drained). Why the 90%? This assumes the power bank can conserve up to 90% of its power. 80% was explained earlier.

An iPad3 has a battery rated at 11560 mAh ... this charger will easily have the capacity to fully recharge an iPad3 from completely drained ... excellent.

So there we are ... an excellent and super-useful power bank.

AmiGami DHG93 Tropical Bird & Beach House
AmiGami DHG93 Tropical Bird & Beach House

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 26 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My seven-year-old daughter really enjoyed decorating the bird and beach house.

I was a little surprised by just how much she enjoyed the whole thing. Once she was shown what to do she was off. It's easy to change the designs; the stickers can be peeled of and re-used (as claimed) and the coated paper decorations are of good quality. The simple paper-rolling tool was a big hit with her too.

Some of the decorations are held in place by plastic pins and caps. She did find it just a little difficult to pull the plastic pins out of the toy; the caps are a tight fit too, but it does mean that the decorations stay in place.

Given that the pieces an be re-used and rearranged it's worth finding a container to keep the bits in.

Overall I have to say that this toy is quite a refreshing change to the usual high-tech over-hyped kit that is often aimed at children.

AmiGami Peacock and Heart Punch
AmiGami Peacock and Heart Punch

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 21 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My soon-to-be-five-year-old daughter rather enjoyed decorating the peacock. She particularly like using the punch. The stickers can be peeled of and re-used (as claimed) and the coated paper decorations are of good quality.

I was a little surprised by just how much she enjoyed the whole thing. The only difficulty she had was getting the caps on the clips to hold the punched decorations in place ... it does say it's suitable for 6 and above, but for the most part she was able to work by herself.

NETGEAR AC785-100EUS AirCard AC785 Mobile Hotspot with super-fast 4G LTE
NETGEAR AC785-100EUS AirCard AC785 Mobile Hotspot with super-fast 4G LTE

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy-to-control wireless hotspot, 21 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this AirCard for about a week now, and I have to say that it's very good at what it does.

And what does it do? Well it provides a wireless hotspot using a data sim from a mobile network of one's choice. In my case I have been using it to provide a hotspot so that my daughters can use their iPads in the car.

In terms of speed I've found it to be pretty quick; when there's a 4G signal around I'd say it's faster than my home broadband (standard BT ... not fibre); on 3G it's still quite reasonable.

Setting up is very easy; buy a data sim card, charge the battery and switch it on. Look for the AirCard's network name (NTGR89DF in my case) on one's device and enter the password (helpfully displayed on the AirCard's screen).

And that's it; a wireless connection that works well. Data usage is displayed on the AirCard's screen.

Should one wish to delve deeper into the AirCard's abilities then it's clear that this is an amazingly complex piece of kit hidden away behind a simple user interface. Pretty well every parameter of the device can be accessed, but this needs to be done by using one's computer to log in to the AirCard. There are also free apps available for Android and iPhone (but not Windows phones) that make it very easy to check the status and settings of the AirCard.

The device is supplied with a mains USB charger and battery (no sim of course) and a quick-start guide that will probably give enough information for most people. There is a very detailed user manual available on the Netgear website ... just Google aircard 785 manual; it covers in great detail, everything anyone might want to know beyond basic use. For example I learned that it is possible to tether one's computer directly to the AirCard using a USB cable ... useful if a computer doesn't have wireless capability.

There are optional extras available including antenna to increase the mobile signal, and a docking base to turn the AirCard in to a full-on modem with Ethernet connections.

I mentioned earlier that I've used this for my daughters' iPads when we're away from home. In the past I have allowed them to use a hotspot from my mobile phone; however, my data allowance is only 1Gb and it can get used up rather quickly, particularly if apps are downloaded. The AirCard allows more freedom and it's easy to monitor usage. Another advantage is one has a choice of data providers, so should I be on holiday in remote parts of Pembrokeshire (an annual destination) I can buy a sim card for the network with the best signal.

In summary I think this is a great bit of kit that needs very little effort to create a wireless hotspot for up to 15 devices. It's easy to use for novices but should also cater for the more technically minded. If one already has a decent Smartphone with an 'all-you-can-eat' data allowance and has no need to connect 15 devices, then perhaps this AirCard would be unnecessary. On the other hand, it is great not to worry about how much of my data allowance the girls are getting through and also to have freedom about which provider I want to use.

So ... I like the AirCard ... a lot!

Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all-rounder, 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This brush has had a fair workout in our house this week; overall I'd say it does a pretty good job and is worthy of one's consideration.

I'd hope most people (including children) use an electric toothbrush; they are so much better at cleaning one's teeth when compared to a manual brush. We've had electric brushes in our household for almost 20 years (eek!) and over that time there are three key points I look for when replacing a brush:

How much does it cost?

How long is the guarantee?

How much are replacement heads?

The actual effectiveness in cleaning teeth perhaps comes a surprising fourth; not because I don't care about dental hygiene, but because if one brushes one's teeth regularly, for the correct length of time with a decent toothpaste, then they are all much of a muchness to me.

This particular brush is currently a little pricey, the guarantee can be extended to three years (good) and the replacement brush heads are very reasonably priced. At the moment we are a Sonicare household and I think the brushing experience is slightly better than the Oral B. However, the prices for genuine Sonicare brush heads can be prohibitive; especially for the small-sized brushes for the Sonicare Kids ... they are £8 each and last about 8 weeks!

This brush is suitable for adults and children aged 3+, it has a good pressure sensor to indicate if one is brushing too hard (good for children). It will last for about 30 minutes on a full charge. The quadrant pulse works well, (but not as much fun as the Sonicare Kids musical intervals). The Oral B doesn't stop at the end of the two minutes ... it does indicate the time is up, but then carries on.

The base of the brush is quite small and it's prone to falling over if stood on the back of the sink. It does lie flat on its back without rolling over; useful if one puts toothpaste on the brush ready for a child to use.

Based on my experience with all of the various brushes I'd say this is a good all-rounder, especially as it's supplied with four brush heads and potentially a three year warranty. If I was starting out for the first time, particularly with children in the house, I'd buy the cheapest Oral B brush and lots of brush heads.

Wendy Quill is Full Up of Wrong
Wendy Quill is Full Up of Wrong
by Wendy Meddour

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and great illustrations from a twelve-year-old!, 18 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this book with my daughter and she very much enjoyed the three short stories loosely based on the author's own childhood experiences.

The stories are told in a first person narrative, through the voice of Wendy Quill, a primary-aged schoolgirl. Whilst the stories (sorry, lessons!) flow into each other they can be read independently and in any order. The style of writing reminds me of Lola (from Charlie and Lola!).

I found plenty of content to keep the adult amused, particularly those sections that remind you of being a parent of a primary school child.

The book was a little too advanced for my seven-and-a-half year old daughter (she's not a great reader) so as mentioned, I read it with her.

The book is roughly A5 and 170-odd pages long. Each page contains lots of drawings and doodles that reflect the text of the storyline which are rather good fun (and have been produced by the author's twelve-year-old daughter).

There are a range of fonts and font sizes used throughout the book, which makes the book visually more appealing if a child is reading it, although if one is reading the book with (or to) a child it's important to point to the additional subtext so that the child can try to follow the narrative.

My daughter also enjoyed the 'Extra bits that are a total surprise' at the end of the book including how to make flapjacks and stop worrying!

Aukey Wireless Bluetooth Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone, Bluetooth 4.0, High Clarity, Noise Cancellation for Apple iPhone, Samsung, LG, PC Laptop and Other Cellphones (EP-B7, Black)
Offered by AukeyDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars It works very well indeed, 17 Feb. 2015
I have been using this headset (model EP-B7), supplied to me for reviewing purposes, for over two weeks now and I have to say I think it's great ... it really works very well indeed.

I think this headset is remarkably cheap for the manufacturing quality and level of technology involved ... there really are no excuses for using a mobile phone when driving.

Setting up the bluetooth connection is easy; the instructions are well-written (if just a little small for my eyes). Getting a comfortable and secure fit in one's ear takes a little time, especially if one hasn't used such a headset before, it's a little difficult to know 'how it's supposed to feel', but with a choice of an ear hook, 2 x ear cushions and 2 x ear-tips (and a little experimentation) I soon managed to get a very comfortable fit indeed.

As mentioned above, pairing is straight-forward, but I was very impressed to see that this headset can connect to two phones simultaneously. The controls are very easy to use and for the most part this involves the use on a multi-function button at the top of the microphone arm:

Answering (or ending) a call: press the multifunction button once

Redialling the last number: press the multifunction button twice

Reject an incoming call: press and hold the multi-function button

Mute or resume a call: press the multifunction button twice

There are two other buttons (on the side of the headset) that control volume, or if so desired will skip tracks and pause / resume if one decides to stream music to the headset. I found the sound quality to be very good whilst using the headset to have 'phone conversations (the noise cancelling feature is excellent), but I would not choose to listen to music in one-ear-only when using it in a car.

I did use the headset whilst riding my bike (it fits both ears so I use it in the left ear when cycling). The headset stayed in place, I could operate the multi-function button with a gloved hand and it did not obstruct the strap on my cycling helmet.

Is there anything not to like? I didn't find anything. I would have liked to have had a small bag / pouch to keep the headset in when it's not in use but that's about it. The headset fully charges in about 2 hours (cable supplied), gives around 5 hours talk time and up to 130 hours on standby. It maintains a stable connection all of the time and if there are any problems it has an 18 month warranty.

Definitely worthy of one's consideration.

Aukey [5-Pack] Hi-speed Micro USB Cable USB 2.0 A Male to Micro B Sync & Charging Cable for Android cellphones, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, MP3 Players and More (CB-D5, White)
Offered by AukeyDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, great quality, 17 Feb. 2015
I've been using theses cables, (yes, all five of them) supplied to me for review, for around two weeks now and at its simplest they are just great.

Perhaps like many people, we used to have a couple of phone chargers in the house and that was enough? Well not any more, not in this house anyway. We have about twenty devices that need charging at different times (phones, iPads, cameras, power banks, headphones, bluetooth speakers and even a night-light), then we have computers with USB hubs and two cars that have multi-post chargers that fit cigarette lighter sockets. Many of these devices are supplied with puny, painfully thin, USB cables; I have a particular hatred of the cheap cables that are either a very tight fit or very loose fit in one's lovely Smartphone ... if the phone's connector gets damaged it will cause real problems. Sourcing good-quality cables at a reasonable price is essential.

So! Back to these Aukey cables. They use 5 mm diameter cable that has just the right amount of flexibility and have quality moulded connectors with strain relief; these cables are not going to break or fray. The fit of the plugs into the USB sockets has been spot-on (can't explain really, but if one has used nasty cheap cables I expect it makes sense).

I think it's handy to have USB cables of varying length and this pack (3 @ 1m and 2 @ 30 cm) is very useful. I also happen to like the packaging; apart from the cables ties it's all cardboard, easy to open (I hate blister packs) and it can go straight into the recycling bin!

I definitely recommend these cables for your consideration.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20