Profile for JB > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 58

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
OHCOME 9PCS 1.75MM 10M 30G / PCS PLA 3D Print Filament for 3D Printer Pen or 3D Printing - Black, White, Red, Orange, Blue, Green, Pink, Yellow,Purple Color
Offered by Jaston

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistently good, 11 Feb. 2016
We have been using this and other filaments pretty much every day for the best part of a month. My eight year old daughter has really got into her 3D pen and has created some fabulous structures using this filament. It heats easily and cools at a reasonable rate. It has not jammed or kinked so it is clear that it is a very accurate and consistent diameter filament.

Please note that this was supplied to me for free for review purposes.

OHCOME 6PCS 1.75MM 18M 50G / PCS PLA 3D Print Filament for 3D Printer Pens or 3D Printing - Black, White, Red, Orange, Blue, Green Color
Offered by Jaston

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistently good, 11 Feb. 2016
We have been using this filament pretty much every day for the best part of a month. My eight year old daughter has really got into her 3D pen and has created some fabulous structures using this filament. It heats easily and cools at a reasonable rate. It has not jammed or kinked so it is clear that the manufacturer does indeed produce a very accurate and consistent diameter filament.

We will be ordering more.

Please note that this was supplied to me for free for review purposes.

GooDee ABS 3D Print Filament 6 pcs 1.75mm 20m / 50g for 3D Printer Pen - Blue, Red, Purple, Yellow, Black and White
Offered by GooDee

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistently good, 8 Feb. 2016
I bought this filament to use with my daughter's Christmas present of a 3D pen. We have been using this filament and many others pretty much every day for the best part of a month. My eight year old daughter has really got into her 3D pen and has created some fabulous structures using this filament. It heats easily and cools at a reasonable rate. It has not jammed or kinked so it is clear that the manufacturer does indeed produce a very accurate and consistent diameter filament.

It is worth doing a price comparison before committing to a purchase.

KS2 Science Year Four Workout: Living Things & Habitats (for the New Curriculum)
by CGP Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable content for the new curriculum, but rather dull (and grey)., 8 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter has enjoyed working through this book and it has made a positive contribution to her progress in science; the new curriculum has made satisfactory progress a lot more difficult. ARE (age related expectation) is much higher than before, essentially what was year 5 work is now in year 4 and so on.

So if my daughter has enjoyed working through it, why only three stars? Well because I think the whole book is dull with grey illustration. The answers are on an easily lost pull-out for some reason and also because there is little encouragement to get the child out and about and 'having a look'.

I get that learning can't always be bells and whistles fun but I think the authors have missed a trick here

50 X Duracell AAA Industrial Battery Alkaline Replaces Procell Expiry 2021
50 X Duracell AAA Industrial Battery Alkaline Replaces Procell Expiry 2021
Offered by Premier Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Roughly 30% better value for money?, 6 Feb. 2016
I'm a committed Eneloop user but unfortunately I have a pair of salt and pepper grinders that really don't get on with rechargeables. Both mills require a total of 12 AAA cells. Standard Duracells rock in at around 38 - 46 pence per battery; these are currently 28p so to make a black and white extreme comparison two mills with fresh batteries = £3.36 or £5.52. Which is better value?

Answers on a postcard please.

ACENIX® 25 in 1 Repair Opening Tool Kit Pentalobe Torx Phillips Screwdriver for iPhone 5 4S 4G
Offered by ETRADER DIRECT LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, versatile kit for those awkward screw types., 5 Feb. 2016
Very pleased with this set. Just used it to replace the internal coin cell battery in an older iMac. The pictures on the product's page show exactly what one gets. The collet system holds the tool bits very securely. As another reviewer has pointed out, very tight screws can be difficult to undo because of the small diameter round shaft; I did encounter such a screw and with the help of an assistant used a small pair of pipe grips to assist with the turning whilst pressing down hard. It worked and the selected bit (torx) suffered no damage / wear whatsoever.

School Council School Bar Badge Handmade Vitreous Enamel (Blue)
School Council School Bar Badge Handmade Vitreous Enamel (Blue)
Offered by Capricorn One

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and great to have as spare, 5 Feb. 2016
Bought to replace a lost school-issued badge (which happily turned up again). Good quality blue enamelling with easy to read brass lettering. The badge is approximately 45 mm long x 10 mm high with a rotary safety clip on the pin.

My daughter is so proud of her badge that there are ructions if it's not pinned to her school uniform every day.

Semlos WF-502B 1000Lumens 5 Modes Adjustable Rechargeable Pocket Torch Light Kit with Army Regulation Anodized Body and Durable Clip
Offered by SemlosDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance for its price bracket, 26 Jan. 2016
Please note this torch was sent to me for review purposes.

I have been using this torch for around three weeks now and it has become a favourite of my daughters when they are walking back from Brownies or Rainbows.

It is made from aluminium alloy with three knurled diameters for extra grip. The switch on the end-cap is easy to operate even with a gloved hands although it is easier to switch it on with the hand that's not holding the torch. The five modes work well (press switch gently) and the torch remembers which mode was used last. On full power with a full charge I think the estimated two hours is just about right.

The beam is bright and certainly powerful enough for night walks; I have more powerful torches but they are also much more expensive. There is no beam focus available but again I don't think this would be a particularly useful feature for most normal uses and certainly not at this price point.

The torch has a pen clip which I don't find particularly useful, although it does stop the torch rolling away on a flat surface such as a table; I would have liked to have seen a simple wrist loop / lanyard as I occasionally drop torches and if it's on to concrete the often don't work again (although I haven't dropped this one), also I mentioned my daughters like using the torch and a wrist loop is almost essential for the longevity of the torch.

The torch is supplied in a green plastic case that I think is a little over the top (although it will find uses elsewhere) which contains the torch a battery charger and a mains adapter. Unfortunately the charger does not work. The torch accepts a single 18650 3.7 li-ion cell rated at 2200 mAh (supplied); I did wonder if the cell was faulty but I did have a fully charged 2600 mAH cell of my own and the torch worked straight away. Also I was able to charge the original cell with my own charger so it was clear the fault was with the supplied charger. Incidentally, spare/replacement cells are widely available for £3-5; carrying a charged spare would be a sensible option.

I have contacted the suppliers about this and will update the review if there is anything to report. My own guess is I was unlucky.

Overall I think it's a decent torch for the price. It's the sort of torch I would recommend for local night walks / strolls. It's not an all singing all dancing military spec' torch, but how could it be at this price?

Chialstar Newest Wireless 2.0 Channel TV Real Sound Bar with 10W Super Bass Surround Sound Bluetooth Speaker Powerful Home Cinema Music System, Support FM Radio AUX USB Driver Card Reader with Remote Control
Offered by Chialstar-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good range of connections; solid sound. Transforms sound from small flat screen TVs, 25 Jan. 2016
This sound bar was sent to me free for review purposes.

I have been using this sound bar for about three weeks now and I am very pleased with it. The dimensions are: 45 x 6 x 5.5 cm (l, h, d). The top, bottom and sides taper back gently and the front speaker gill is thereby tilted slightly to project the sound upwards which is very useful if the sound bar is used with a television on a low stand. The bar is solidly made and whilst it is plastic I rather like the fact that it's not a dust magnet.

In terms of connection the bar has enough for most uses; there is no digital Toslink connection but I'm not surprised at this price point. The bar can connect via Bluetooth, USB and 3.5 mm auxiliary (lead supplied); it will also play music from a micro SD card (not supplied of course) and I particularly like the built-in FM radio tuner.

The bar can be controlled via a supplied remote which is just a little cheap-looking but it does work well. Should one prefer the bar can be controlled by the six buttons on top of the bar.

In terms of use I have tried all the features and connections. I have used it on a 50" LG plasma television connected via the 3.5 mm jack to the TV's headphone jack. It works well and is an improvement on the TV's speakers but the bar's control of bass and treble is non-existent so any adjustment of tonal quality has to be set via the television which really is no hassle. The bar has a low profile and sits comfortably under the television and it doesn't get in the way of the TV's control sensor.

The default sound quality of the bar is just about right for most viewing and at 2 x 6 Watts the volume is fine for most 'normal viewing' situations. Battery life has been fine but I have had the bar permanently plugged in with its supplied mains powered USB charger when it's connected to the television.

I have also used the bar with an iMac and iPad connected via Bluetooth; pairing was straightforward so no complaints there. I did test the micro SD card to see if it works; it does but I generally don't store music on that storage platform.

I really do like the FM radio feature but there is no indication as to which frequency one is tuned to, so it's a case a pressing the skip track buttons until one finds the desired station. There is no ability to store stations and if one switches the bar off with the switch at the back the device restarts in the default Bluetooth mode; switching to FM will require a search until the desired channel is found.

I was particularly pleased with the sound bar's performance on a smaller LED Panasonic television that only gets used occasionally because whilst it has a great picture, it has the most awful tinny sound that really is unbearable. With this sound bar connected (3.5 mm again) the TV has been transformed. It has become a favourite for my daughters to watch Prime videos via a firestick.

So is there anything not to like? Well at this price point I have to say no, BUT, I do wish the remote was better quality and I would have liked to be able to store FM channels

FOXNOV LED String Lights, Christmas Lights, 12 Metre/40Ft 120 Leds, Warm White Décor Lights for Valentine's Day Decoration, Christmas, Indoor and Outdoor, Holiday Decoration, Wedding and Party
Offered by AceDeal

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant lights that look great and can be shaped and stay in place, 25 Jan. 2016
I like these lights; they really are really pretty and well beyond what one might expect if looking only at the price tag.

There are 120 warm white 3 mm LEDs set at approximately 10 cm intervals; the product's photograph on the Amazon page really do them justice in my opinion. The unique point (for me at least) is the cable is not the usual green or white; rather it is natural copper with a clear coating. There are three thin strands of wire that seem to impart a lovely slightly orange glow to the lights. The strands are twisted together but can be gently untwined so the lights can be hooked over pins if so desired..

The other great feature is that the cable can be wrapped around pretty much anything and it will retain its shape. The lights are powered by a 6v mains adapter with a 5’ lead. The lights are waterproof (but the adapter is not) so with care (or a battery supply and correct connector) they can easily be used in outdoor locations.

The lights are really elegant and I actually like the fact they have only one setting … on or off. This makes them suitable for lots of occasions. They are currently fixed to wooden beams above my dining room table and create a lovely atmosphere with enough light to eat one's food but without the harshness of spotlights.

Is there anything not to like? Well no, nothing at the moment. They look great and are easy to fit around the most awkward shapes and are really easy to pack away. I don’t know if the copper will eventually work–harden with all of the twisting and bending, but if they do I’ll update the review.

Anyway! I like them and for the money they are both amazingly good and cheap at the same time!

Please note these lights were sent to me for review purposes.
Comment Comment | Permalink