Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 62

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Disney Inside Out Headquarters Playset
Disney Inside Out Headquarters Playset

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality projector, 7 July 2015
After watching a preview of the film, my daughters were allowed to choose a themed toy to take away and play with. This is our review for the headquarters play set.

My daughters (7 & 5) absolutely loved the film and were particularly taken with the character Joy and they were thrilled to see that the headquarters featured in the film was available as a toy. As soon as we got back to our hotel (part of a trip to London) the kit was unpackaged and soon put together (despite the incredibly small-font instructions ... so small I could't read them even with glasses) using a combination of common sense and a process of elimination and by looking at the pictures on the packaging!

There is a small slide / ramp area to the right of the set which the memory spheres can roll along (mimicking the film) and this garnered some interest from the girls, but the key feature is the projector allowing the children to see the images stored in the spheres.

Firstly it was difficult to locate the projector correctly; the front clip was quite flimsy and for the most part the projector did not stay in place ... there is no adjustable focus on the projector, so it's important that it locates properly; it didn't.

Secondly the memory spheres were difficult to align properly and consistently; certainly beyond my daughters. At least twice they managed to get a sphere jammed in the projector; they fit so tightly I had to use a pen knife to release the sphere!

Thirdly the quality of the projected image was shockingly bad even in a pitch black room. I replaced the supplied batteries to no avail and can only conclude that more work is required on the projection unit; or quality control is improved.

Finally, after packing the kit up for the journey home it has barely been played with at all. The Joy doll is played with (very nice too) but she doesn't get to see her headquarters any more!

In conclusion I can't award more than three stars; it really feels nearer to two. However I've gone with three because the rest of the kit (and Joy) is well made but the central feature is flawed. I hope it is a fluke and I've been unlucky; If I'd purchased this play set I'd have sent it back for either a replacement or a refund.

After the film is released there will no doubt be a greater number of reviews for this toy and we shall see how the responses stack up. Good luck!

mophie powerstation plus 3x with Lightning connector (5,000mAh)
mophie powerstation plus 3x with Lightning connector (5,000mAh)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and very useful, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this power station for around a week now. It's one of the best I've used so far. It has a reasonable-capacity 5000 mAh lithium ion battery and is capable of charging an iphone 6 twice from a fully-charged power station and it will fully recharge in around 6 hours depending on the charging supply. *see below*

The device will fit easily in a pocket; it measures approximately 10.5 x 6 x 2 cm and it weighs in at just over 160 grammes. It has a matte-finished aluminium top and bottom with black sides and neat radiused corners.

Its charge level is displayed by four small white LEDs, each representing 25% of remaining power; there is no torch feature.

The power station has 1 USB input cable and a lightning connector charging cable that fit neatly beneath the hinged lid.The output is rated at 2.4 Amps.

As mentioned at the beginning of the review I've had this product for around a week and it retains its charge exceptionally well. It can be charged from a computer's USB port, however, to get the power station fully charged as quickly as possible it's worth connecting it to a higher capacity charger rated at 1.2 Amps.

So ... overall I am very pleased with this power station. The fact that it holds its charge for a good length of time means it'll still be able to charge one's phone even if I've forgotten to recharge the Mophie; I'd definitely recommend it. Oh! and the packaging is very smart if this were to be a gift and the instructions are well-written too!

*Here's the maths* ...

One might imagine that a 5000 mAh power station could recharge a iphone 6's 1810 mAh battery around three times (well that's what I thought anyway!) Here's the answer ...

Firstly, how long will it take to charge a power station from completely empty to full? The re-charging time depends on the capacity of the power station, its remaining power and the power supply used.

For example: Mophie= 5000mAh (0% remaining). Power supply input = 1000mAh, although this value is reduced by 20% due to power loss in the charge / discharge process.

The calculation therefore is 5000mAh / 800mAh = minimum 6.25 hours (from completely flat)

How many times can the Mophie charge an iphone 6?

A similar formula applies to calculate number of times a power station can charge a phone.

For example: Mophie: 5000mAh, phone battery: 1810mAh

The calculation is (5000mAh x 90% x 80%) / 1810mAh
= 3600 / 1810
= 1.989

So roughly 2 times (assuming the phone's battery is completely drained).

Why the 90%? This assumes the Mophie can conserve up to 90% of its power. 80% was explained earlier.

I found it interesting anyway !

Gourmet Mon Petit Tempting New Fish Recipes with Cod Sardine and Salmon Wet Cat Food (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Small portions and more expensive ... (doh! can't I read?), 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been trialling this product with our one-year-old female house cat. She eats most things presented to her and we normally provide a buffet of cat-food (in jelly) and assorted cat biscuits.

Anyway, she had no problems with the taste of the food and rather enjoys the gravy / liquid. She's a house cat and she absolutely been demolishing the food from the instant I put the bowl down. We also have sixteen-year-old tortoiseshell and she eats this food when she gets the chance, despite being out of the suggested age range (1 - 7 years).

The moment a cod, sardine or salmon pouch is put down everything is gone with nothing left behind, it's gone in seconds. I like the fact that the bowl is empty very quickly (licked clean) especially in the hot weather; the cat has always a supply of dried food should hunger pangs kick in

My only niggle is that it's quite difficult to empty the whole pouch without getting the contents on one's hands; one star removed because of this.

The new food hasn't coincided with any unpleasant sick or litter-tray problems and it has hardly has any odour at all. A bonus for my wife who gets a little retching (sorry!) with some cat food products.

I read with interest comments about the price and the size of the portions ... all true, but really; it does clearly state the quantity of food in each pouch and hopefully potential customers can work out the costs. If a product says 'Gourmet' then I tend to imagine it's going to be more expensive than 'cheap tat'; when it states 'petit' I tend to get the idea!

At its simplest buy this food if small portions of good-quality food are required. If the intention is fill a greedy cat up with 100g portions then I'd suggest looking elsewhere

Kensington Pro Fit Bluetooth Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac
Kensington Pro Fit Bluetooth Wireless Mouse for Windows and Mac

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well despite the extra piece, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this mouse with my iMac and it has performed faultlessly. The instructions are incredibly basic, but if you have ever paired a bluetooth device before then you really don't need to read the instructions anyway.

My 'standard' wired mouse measures approximately 115 x 60 x 40 mm ... the Kensington is quite diminutive at 90 x 55 x 30. There are no distinct buttons, rather the top of the mouse deforms slightly under finger pressure; the left and right click works beautifully. The scroll wheel works equally well; on my Mac (using Chrome), a click with the scroll wheel opens the link in a new tab.

I have tried the mouse using a rechargeable battery and it works fine (a standard AA battery is supplied). The on / off switch is rather stiff to use, but I tend to leave the mouse switched on anyway. Battery life has (so far) been fine, but as mentioned it'll run on a rechargeable so I really don't mind.

What do I like? Well its small size and the fact it leaves a USB port free on my computer. It tracks happily on a variety of surfaces (a desk with heavy wood grain) and pairing is a doddle (of course one will need a computer with built in bluetooth (or an add-on dongle)).

Anything not to like? When I first took the mouse out of its box, something was rattling inside the mouse; after a decent shake a cruciform shaped piece of injection moulded plastic fell out and I fully expected the mouse not to work; it did work and it still does so I can only assume that the piece accidentally found its way into the mouse during production.

The most difficult thing about the mouse is the ridiculous wedge-shaped packaging with a vacuum formed blister.

So there we are; a great little mouse that's easy to use and it is supplied with a three year warranty. I like it; a lot!

Murad Environmental Shield Advanced Active Radiance Serum 30 ml
Murad Environmental Shield Advanced Active Radiance Serum 30 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars It works very well indeed, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using this serum for over three weeks now and she is delighted with it. She describes it as a lovely elegant bottle with see through cap; It is, and it looks like an expensive product ... one that stands out from the rest.

Her regime involves cleansing in the morning and evening using only a very small amount on to cover her face and neck. She describes it as having a lovely perfume and feels very rich. The results after three weeks have been fabulous (I can see the difference too).

She says that her skin feels and looks younger, tighter, brighter and lines have been considerable reduced. The Murad day cream is an excellent product to use after the serum and also has a wonderful perfume.

An expensive product but truly excellent results!

Murad Environmental Shield Essential-C Day Moisture SPF30 50 ml
Murad Environmental Shield Essential-C Day Moisture SPF30 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and easy UV protection, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using this for around three weeks now and she just loves it. She loves the aroma ... (something about clementines?) She describes the cream as very smooth and easily absorbed. She has very fair skin and loves the idea that she is protected from ultra violet light without having to apply a separate sun screen.

The cream is very easy to apply; She uses only the very smallest amounts and it spreads generously for the few drops she uses each day. Her skin is left smooth, non greasy, and healthy looking too. She's had no itchiness or other reactions ... as I said at the start; she just loves it.

Senfloco Women's Vintage Long Sleeve V-Neck Office Business Party Pencil Midi Bodycon Dress Size 6 8 10 12
Offered by Donner-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic value for money!, 18 Jun. 2015
My wife has been wearing this dress for over a month now and I have to see both she and I are amazed at the value for money this garment is. It's exactly like the images and the fit is superb (my wife looked carefully at the size chart and selected the XL option based on the measurements given) ... well the sizes on the grid are accurate sizes of the dress.

The finish of the hem and other stitching is faultless (no wonky lines or hanging threads) and due to the material it's made out of it doesn't really get creased either. My wife has been wearing it to business meetings and she has received so rather lovely compliments ... people have asked her where it came from and the can't believe the price when she tells them.

It does say that the dress is supplied without a belt ... my wife has one very similar to that in the product's pictures, and it really does set the whole dress off.

Returns are accepted, but the buyer pays postage, so check the size chart carefully.

Definitely recommended.

ZTE Blade S6 4G 5-Inch UK Version Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - White (294 PPI HD Screen, 16GB ROM, 2GB RAM, Octa-Core Snapdragon 615, MicroSD Slot, 13 MP Rear Camera, 5 MP Front Camera, Android 5.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for money, 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This a terrific phone for the price. I have been using it for about two weeks now and I really (really) like it. The display quality is very good (it's pretty good in the sunshine too). I find the battery life has been very good, for me it last around two days before a recharge is necessary.

I like the external access trays for the dual sims and the SD card ... a small tool is supplied to push into a small hole (I'll probably lose it, but a paper clip will do the job).

The battery can't be replaced (not by me anyway), so it would need to be sent to a service centre when the time comes. Some have complained about the cheap plastic back on the phone ... fair comment but mine's in a case so who cares?

The phone is really very fast (8 core processor) and is also quick to start up and switch off (or reboot). All of my Apps have run perfectly on the phone, oh and the sound quality is pretty good too!

Anything not to like? Well no, not really. I suppose it doesn't have the 'street cred' of an iPhone 6 or a Samsung or other well known brand, but for £170 ... that's £330 still in my bank account!

I'd say definitely try one if possible; when everyone cottons on to how good ZTE phones are I'd bet the prices will start to rise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2015 9:52 PM BST

Philips DVT2500 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with 2 Microphone Stereo Recording

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good at what it does ... better than a smart phone for some., 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The DVT2500 Voice Tracer is pretty compact, measuring around 115 (l) x 40 (w) x 20 (d) and is supplied with 2 x AAA batteries; more expensive models have integrated high-capacity Li-polymer batteries ... something I'd like to see on all models.

I wanted to use this device to record meeting that I have to attend and write up the minutes later ... very good for that; also my daughters use it for telling their own fairy stories, both for immediate `playback' fun, and to keep for posterity.

I found the set-up to be quite intuitive; however, the manufacturer describes the screen as a 'large display for clear recording status information'; it is in fact around 40 x 30mm. I have to wear glasses, but still struggled to read some of the display text in normal indoor lighting. However, within a few moments I had recorded the first story with ease. Playback is a doddle, but the sound quality from the speaker is very tinny.

As most will have read, one can expand the memory with a micro SD card, and there are four folders where recordings can be stored.

As mentioned the sound quality from the internal speaker is poor (in my opinion), but when the files were transferred to my iMac, I was very impressed. Connection was straightforward with the supplied 200mm(!) long USB lead.

Files can be moved both ways between the two devices. The Voice Tracer has lots of other features, including decent on-board editing facilities.

I mentioned earlier that modern smart phones have outmoded its screen size, and as another reviewer has suggested, such phones are not at all bad at the basics of voice recording.

For the task I have for this device, it's spot on. The girls can't accidentally call 999 or start playing games (etc.) and when the files are moved on to a decent sound system, the quality is impressive.

So, overall, I like it, just let down a little by the tinny on-board speaker.

Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless outcomes, 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well almost a month on and these tiles are still being played with each day by my daughters ( 5 and 7). They sometimes create something together ... a building for example, or just a 2D mosaic; it requires little guidance or intervention from an adult (freedom).

In use the tiles' magnetic force is a little on the weak side (deliberate I imagine) and in one sense its rather like trying to build with cards ... it takes care and dexterity and the shape of the structure is the key. However, my children have soon got to grips with this and realise that to build taller structures it takes thought and attention to detail.

When it goes wrong there is often a spectacular crash (house of cards), but for the most part the girls don't seem to mind and either start again or build something else.

Would I recommend them? Well yes; most certainly I would. I note some comments about value for money and that's entirely subjective, but this is a properly creative toy. I've spent quite a few pounds on Lego (Dolphin Cruiser) and once it's built that's it. So that's what I really like ... the endless options to create something new.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20