Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 58

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Whiskas Mixed Selection in Jelly Wet Cat Food Pouch, Pack of 84
Whiskas Mixed Selection in Jelly Wet Cat Food Pouch, Pack of 84

5.0 out of 5 stars All good; feeding 3 cats without any problems at all, 26 Aug. 2015
Tuna
Salmon
Chicken

14 cellophane wrapped packets of 2 pouches of each, 84 pouches in total. They are 100g easy open pouches that work well. Our cats (17 year old tortoise shell, a 15-month Persian Queen (for breeding) and a 1 year old kitten/cat) have been happily munching through this food for around two weeks now. They are used to a variety of food and do eat most things (one even eats curry). Between them the cats gets through about six pouches a day (they also have dry food available), so that's about 2 weeks' food in one order.

As I said, the cats like them, the pouches are easy to open, easy to squeeze out and empty and I don't end up with cat food on my fingers! There have been no litter-tray problems.

We do look around for the best offers on cat food, and we do try to vary the cats' diet. There's an offer at the moment to save 30% on a first subscription offer (worthy of one's consideration). I also like the fact that Whiskas offer sound advice about a cat's dietary requirements and a free-phone number to get further advice about individual concerns.

In conclusion I'd say it's definitely worthy of at least an initial trial; it will be on our cat food shopping list.

Crayola Paint Maker Kit
Crayola Paint Maker Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 26 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Crayola Paint Maker Kit (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As noted by other other reviewers one might wonder why children need a paint maker kit to mix paints ... surely it's better to use liquid squeezable liquid paints in a palette (where everything ends up brown .... in our house anyway)?

Well, of course, that's because children don't think like adults; making the process more complicated with gadgets and gizmos = more interest! We have already used the Crayola Marker Maker (and purchased a refill kit) and they love(d) that; this paint maker kit falls into the same category ... a potential for mess everywhere, unique colours that can be given suitably ridiculous names (thanks to the labels) and lots of fun together.

The process is straightforward (do read the instructions) and if one is to avoid mess and brown paint then adult assistance is required ... perhaps that's key to the children's fun; they really like parental involvement, Having been involved in the organisation of our daughters' birthday parties I'd suggest this kit could also be used to occupy a gang of girls (or boys) if one's party has a making theme.

I have to say that my daughters (8 & 5) have really been quite enthusiastic about this kit and they have enjoyed naming and using their paint creations. It contains pretty much everything one needs to mix paint and 'pot' and label it; there's even some paper and a brush. A refill kit is available and I'd suggest buying one (or two) at the same time as ordering the kit.

Oh! and by the way, my children remarked that the paint maker kit reminded them of the CBBC Colour Factory game ... worth a look if you've not seen it.

Anyway, in conclusion we (I) think this is good fun, passes a couple of hours, can be used again (get a refill kit) and the children do learn the colour mixes (beats staring at a theoretical colour wheel too).

EmaxDesign Makeup Brush Set Professional Premium Synthetic Kabuki Foundation Blending Blush Eyebrow Face Liquid Powder Cream Cosmetics Brushes Kit With Bag (10pcs Golden Black)
Offered by EmaxDesign UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A great set of brushes, 26 Aug. 2015
My wife has been using these brushes, supplied for review, for around two weeks now and she is absolutely thrilled with them. Initially she was slightly sceptical that a make-up brush (quote) "will not shed as long as you own the brush" ... well none of them have and they are now among her favourite brushes.

There are instructions supplied that suggest the brushes will need to be washed and dried before use to remove the odour that is noticeable when one unpacks the brushes. My wife chose not to do this and merely left the brushes (bristles up) in a pot near a window; the next day no trace of the (or any) smell ... my guess is that may have been from an adhesive used to bond the brush to the bristles (but I may be wrong). There is also a useful leaflet that explains the use of each of the brushes; my wife found this very useful indeed.

In use they are very very soft and a pleasure to use; there are ten brushes that really cater for all needs and types of make-up. There is also a neat black draw-string bag included.

Incidentally, the suggested method of cleaning make-up brushes is with shampoo and water. I have since read that some people like to use face wash or cleanser, another idea is to use anti-bacterial soap. Either way, it is important to clean brushes regularly.

Overall a great set of brushes!

Fancydeli® "Snow Fairy" Women Necklace Chain Snowflake Pendant with Austrian Crystals Gift for Women Lady Girlfriend Mother Fashion Jewellery
Offered by FANCYDELI

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful snow flake (with a 60 day 100% money back guarantee), 26 Aug. 2015
My wife has been wearing this necklace, sent to me for review, for around two weeks now and she thinks it is really lovely. The eye-catching white gold-filled* necklace is presented in a smart white box with the Fancydeli logo embossed on the top of the box; the smart black interior of the box really makes the necklace look good, so great if this is going to be a gift.

The chain looks lovely and it seems to be a cable link construction. It terminates with an easy-to-use lobster claw clasp. The other end of the chain finishes with a 60 mm long extender chain that clearly allows the necklace to fit a range of neck sizes, but usefully it allows the wearer to set the length of the drop depending clothing and the occasion.

The main 'snow fairy' pendant is exactly like the product's pictures; the Austrian rhinestones look great, they really do catch the light and sparkle beautifully; the snow flake is approximately 20 mm in diameter (about the same as a 1p coin). There's also a lovely 6 mm slide pendant included that can be used as an alternative to the snow flake; excellent!

In summary, this is a smart attractive necklace that looks lovely for any occasion. If one is not completely satisfied Fancydeli offers a 60 day 100% money back guarantee so there really is nothing to lose.

* I didn't know what gold-filled meant ... here's what I found out: Gold filled is an actual layer of gold-pressure bonded to another metal. Gold filled should not to be confused with gold plating as filled literally has 100% more gold than gold plating. Gold filled is much more valuable and tarnish resistant. It does not flake off, rub off. Anyone who can wear gold can wear gold filled without worries of any allergic reaction to the jewellery. Incidentally, the product description states: 'Metal Type: Eco-friendly Rose Gold Plated Alloy' ... I think this is an error and should be ignored.

Fancydeli® Ladies Necklace Chain with Swarovski Elements Crystals Pendant Fashion Jewelry Gift for Women Girlfriend
Offered by FANCYDELI

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful (with 60 day 100% money back guarantee), 26 Aug. 2015

The chain looks lovely and it seems to be a box link construction. It terminates with an easy-to-use lobster claw clasp. The other end of the chain finishes with a 60 mm long extender chain that clearly allows the necklace to fit a range of neck sizes, but usefully it allows the wearer to set the length of the drop depending clothing and the occasion.

The main pendant looks exactly like the product's pictures; the Swarovski elements and centre blue crystal look great, they really do catch the light and sparkle beautifully. There's also an attactive white braided cord included in the box; this can be worn as a necklace or bracelet; excellent!

Fancydeli® "Love Under the Stars" Fashion Jewelry Rose Gold Plated Women Circle Bracelet with Austrian Crystals Best Gifts for Her

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and unusual, 26 Aug. 2015
My wife has been wearing this bracelet, sent to me for review, for around two weeks now and she thinks it is really lovely. The eye-catching rose gold-plated bracelet is presented in a smart white box with the Fancydeli logo embossed on the top of the box; the smart black interior of the box really makes the bracelet look good, so great if this is going to be a gift.

The bracelet comprises twelve flat rings with the following diameters: 10 mm (x 3), 15 mm (x 4), 18 mm (x 4) and 20 mm (x 1); as can be seen in the product's pictures, three of the rings are inlaid with round-cut Austrian rhinestones and they look great, the really do catch the light and sparkle beautifully.

My wife likes the chunky lobster claw catch (stronger than any other type of catch) and finds it easy to clip the bracelet on herself (unlike others she owns that require third-part assistance ... me!). The main bracelet ends with a 50 mm long extender chain that clearly allows the bracelet fit a range of wrist sizes, but usefully it allows the wearer to set a tighter fit or a loose 'over the hand' elegant drape depending the occasion.

In summary, this is a smart attractive bracelet that looks lovely. A matching necklace is available separately.

Murad Resurgence Intensive Age-Diffusing Serum 30 ml
Murad Resurgence Intensive Age-Diffusing Serum 30 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars She loves this brand, 21 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife loves this brand and she's quite taken with the quote "Beautiful skin is healthy skin.. Healthy skin is beautiful". She says that this intensive age-diffusing serum really makes her skin feel and look beautiful (I am not going to argue).

It's recommended that one uses cleanser and toner before application of the serum; my wife says that this works really well making her skin feel fresh and hydrated; the product can be applied to the face neck and chest areas and she has been using two 'squirts' (can't think of a better word!) from the pump dispenser, one for the face and the other for massaging into the neck and chest in an upward motion.

She says it has a lovely fresh fragrance and the serum is rich and creamy, quickly absorbed and is non-greasy. This has then been followed with Murad essential C day-moisturiser and this has worked really well. The packaging states that the serum visibly increases firmness after one application; my wife has been using it for five days and states that the wrinkles around her eyes and forehead area have definitely improved (I agree) and that her skin generally feels tighter and looks brighter.

EmaxDesign Wigs 70 cm / 28" ~ High-Quality Cosplay Wig For Women. Long, Full, Curly, Wavy, & Heat Resistant. Fashion Glamour Hairpiece with Free Wig Cap & Wig Comb (Color: Red)
Offered by EmaxDesign UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely hair, 21 Aug. 2015
We've had this wig, supplied for review purposes, for around two weeks now and my daughters (aged 8 & 5) absolutely love it. The colour is pretty much how it looks on the product's page and it is around 28" long. My wife and I have tied it on too and it fits very well on our heads; the inside of the wig has a mesh liner that has two elasticated clips that can be used to adjust the fit of the wig if one finds it a little loose, otherwise they can just clipped together to keep them out of the way.

The wig is also supplied with a mesh liner wig cap that is very useful for tucking one's hair out of the way; we found this particularly useful for one of my daughters who has rather long hair that would not stay put under the wig. There's also a useful antistatic wig comb supplied as well.

As another reviewer has mentioned, the fringe is on the longish side, but that adds to the fun and it's easy to clip back.

There are several types of synthetic hair including kanekalon, mono-filament, polypropylene and toyokalon; this wig is made from kanekalon and it is very soft to the touch and is shiny and natural looking. Kanekalon hair can be styled with straighteners etc. and when styled it will not lose its shape; other synthetic fibres cannot be styled in this manner, but do take care as any synthetic hair will melt if too much direct heat is applied to it while styling.

Overall I (we) think this is a great product and represents great value for money. It is obviously a great addition to the dressing-up box, but for the right person it could be worn to formal events.

TECEVO Bluetooth Wireless Speaker With Microphone (T7 - White)
TECEVO Bluetooth Wireless Speaker With Microphone (T7 - White)
Offered by DigiDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, versatile with lots of useful features, 21 Aug. 2015
I have been using this Bluetooth speaker, supplied to me for review, for around two weeks and I have to say it is absolutely superb! The sound quality from such a small unit is amazing, giving particularly good levels of bass without losing the crispness of the higher frequencies.

The speaker can connect in a variety of ways including Bluetooth and wired; it also is able to access music stored on micro SD cards and USB pen drives. I particularly like the FM radio feature; it works surprising well indoors without an external aerial. The alarm function is very useful and one can set the device to play a song if so desired. Incidentally; I found the instruction booklet very well written and easy to follow (unlike some), there is also a good range of useful answered questions on the product's Amazon page.

I have used the speaker with my Galaxy Note 2 and it paired faultlessly using Bluetooth; I have also paired it with an iPad and an iMac without any problems at all. When fully charged the device easily gives the suggested six hours of sound. If left connected but not in use, the standby time has been very good (five days).

With the volume turned up full (rated at 5 Watts) it's easily loud enough in a medium sized room. The main controls are on the top of the unit. These comprise six buttons which are easy to use; it's a little difficult to see the markings because the top slopes back at a gentle angle; however one soon learns which button does what and it certainly isn't a problem and that's the only thing about this speaker that I'm not quite so keen on.

Paired with the Note 2 I've used the speaker in the car so I can hear Sat Nav instructions easily (going deaf as well as blind!); it also allows calls to be answered with a single press of a button and the built in microphone works well.

Having found several wireless uses for the speaker, I found one more task at which it has been outstanding. I have a 24 inch LED television with a super display and shockingly tinny sound. Sound bars for small televisions are hard to find so I decided to try the Tecevo speaker. I connected it with the supplied 3.5mm jack lead and the result is just impressive. Its small size (approximately 24 x 6 x 5 cm) means it sits easily on the television's stand. Watching films is now a pleasure and again, the speaker's sound quality really stands out.

At the moment it's permanently connected to a USB phone charger (although a charging cable is supplied) and the TV, but it still functions perfectly when a Bluetooth device is connected.

The speaker really does a great job and if you couldn't find more than one use for it I'd be surprised; even the packaging is really well-made and stylish. This is a slick, well designed, great-quality product and is absolutely, definitely, worthy of your consideration if you're in the market for a small Bluetooth speaker.

Newisland 3x3 Smoothest Speed Cube Super-Durable Plastic Puzzle Cube
Newisland 3x3 Smoothest Speed Cube Super-Durable Plastic Puzzle Cube
Offered by CHERRY STORE

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it (when I can get my hands on it!), 20 Aug. 2015
We have been using this cube, supplied to me* for review, for around two weeks' now and I have to say it is just excellent. *I say 'me' because actually I've had quite a job to get hold of the cube. My daughters (aged 8 & 5) are absolutely fascinated by it ... there happened to be something on children's television recently showing a few tricks with a cube making it appear that the user could solve the cube ... (but it's just a repeated sequence). The other obstacle to my cubing-revival is my wife; she remembers the cube from earlier years but never got chance to try one ... perhaps if she had ...?

Anyway, I happen to own an original Rubik's cube and became quite addicted to it ... in fact I learned how to solve it and even as a young adult I can still remember how everyone wanted to have a go if I took it into work (we ended up having competitions!).

Fast forward thirty years and I'm completely taken with this Newisland cube; things have moved on. I remember my old cube being slow and rather clunky (WD40 anyone?) Now we have speed cube? Oh yes, this is very fast and slick, really, very fast and very slick. It retains the standard 57 mm cube dimensions but I was surprised (my age?) to read that the cube's 'action' can be adjusted with a screwdriver ... I haven't tried this though.

The accompanying booklet is well written and illustrated, and the mesh storage bag is a useful and welcome addition.

Anyway, as I said, things have really moved on. It is reputed to be the world's top-selling puzzle game and considered by some to be the world's best-selling toy. I can't really comment about that but it has rekindled an interest for me and introduced a great pastime for my wife and children.

Incidentally, I mentioned I used to know how to solve the cube ... there are other methods apparently; when you're bored look up CFOP, Roux, ZZ and Petrus!

All in all a great bit of kit!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20