Profile for JB > Reviews

Content by JB
Top Reviewer Ranking: 64

JB (Chudleigh, Devon)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Felix Mixed Selection in Jelly Wet Cat Food Pouch, 100 g (Pack of 96)
Felix Mixed Selection in Jelly Wet Cat Food Pouch, 100 g (Pack of 96)

5.0 out of 5 stars Feed two cats for just over a fiver a week, 1 Aug. 2015
Beef
Chicken
Tuna
Salmon

24 pouches of each, 96 in total. 100g easy open pouches. Our cats (17 year old tortoise shell and a 1 year old kitten/cat) have been happily munching through this food for around two weeks now.

Between them each cat gets through about three pouches a day (they also have dry food available), so that's a month's food in one order. At the moment they're in the cattery for a fortnight, so the remaining box of 48 has gone with them.

As I said, the cats like them, the pouches are easy to open, easy to squeeze out and empty and I don't end up with cat food on my fingers! There have been no litter-tray problems so for us the Felix is a winner in all departments.

Currently on Prime they're £25 (price seems to vary), so we'll get through around 11 boxes in a year for around £285, or £5.50 a week to feed two cats; not bad at all. Recommended.

KUKUBIRD TRAPEZIUM SHAPE FAUX LEATHER DESIGNER LADIES HANDBAG - WHITE
KUKUBIRD TRAPEZIUM SHAPE FAUX LEATHER DESIGNER LADIES HANDBAG - WHITE
Offered by KukuBird

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and stylish, 25 July 2015
My wife has been using this handbag, sent to me for review purposes, for around two weeks now. It is an attractive handbag that is supplied in a very smart dust protecting presentation bag. It has good-sized handles which are comfortable to hold even when the bag is fully laden; it is also supplied with a detachable strap that is fully adjustable; it's easily long enough to wear the bag across one's chest if so desired.

It has a lovely elegant appearance with a dappled white (in my case) textured surface; the black piping around the panels and handles really adds to the sophisticated look. The gold-coloured metal fitments are of a high quality and further add to the bag's style.

It terms of storage to outside the bag has zipped pocket to the front (16 cm wide x 12 cm deep) and a very useful open pocket at either end. The main interior compartment (35 cm long x 22 cm deep) is zipped and is spacious, with an additional two open-pocket compartments useful for a phone and sunglasses for example, and a further zipped space. The bag is closed with a magnetic catch on a short black-piped strap.

The bag is really very well made and stylish. It represents amazing value for money and is definitely worthy of one's consideration.

H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Wide Hair Straighteners
H2D VI Professional Ionic and Infrared Wide Hair Straighteners

5.0 out of 5 stars Higher quality results in less time, 25 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife has been using these straighteners for about three weeks now; she has used the GHD brand for years claiming that 'she loves her GHDs'. She decided to test the H2D set against her beloved straighteners and after extensive testing the results are in ... H2D is the winner!

Her hair is shoulder length and wavy (bordering on curly) and she straightens her hair about twice a week. These are the main reasons the H2Ds are preferred:

They heat up very quickly with an easy-to-use digital readout temperature control (90°-230° C). The wider and slightly longer plates straighten a larger area of hair reducing the overall time taken to complete straightening. My wife started using the H2Ds with the lowest temperature and increased it in 10° increments until she found the best setting for her (she uses heat protection spray).

The results were very, very good and close to what her hairdresser can achieve.

From a practical point of view the long power lead was very useful especially the 360° rotation (no more tangled -and therefore shortened- cable); a hanging loop would have been a useful addition though.

The straighteners automatically power-off after an hour which is both useful and reassuring for those 'did I switch them off?' moments; they do take rather a long time to cool down.

So! all positive so far. Is there anything not to like? My wife believes that high-end straighteners should have a heat mat and travel bag supplied; these H2Ds do not. I imagine that professional hairdressers already have enough heat mats and travel bags and perhaps that's why they are not included? Either way they are available elsewhere.

So in conclusion (and as mentioned earlier), the results were very, very good and close to what her hairdresser can achieve, and that's why the GHDs are in the drawer.

WD-40 400ml Specialist Motorbike Chain Lube
WD-40 400ml Specialist Motorbike Chain Lube
Offered by ONE SAFE SOURCE

3.0 out of 5 stars Find an applicator straw, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used this for the best part of a month now I'd say it was okay; useful to have on the garage shelf. As others have noted this really should have an applicator straw to make it easier to get the lubricant precisely where it's wanted; I found I needed an initial 'squirt' to get my eye in and after that it was okay but I think I ended up over-applying the lubricant. I found it took a while to dry and I'm afraid I did end up with some chain fling; it's rather messy and a difficult to remove from the places it shouldn't have reached.

In terms of lubrication properties I'd say it was very good ... it's supposed to be particularly good in dry conditions (British summer anyone?). It really should be supplied with an applicator straw; if I'd used one I think I'd have experienced far less fling and mess and more lube left in the tin; oh well!

Smart Weigh Digital Shipping Postal Scale, USB Powered, Extendable Cord and Bright Blue Backlight Display, Batteries Included
Offered by Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the postage price right!, 18 July 2015
I have today used these postal scales supplied to me for review purposes, to weigh a series of items destined for e b a y. Over the years I have guessed the weight, used kitchen scales and even bathroom scales or stood in a long queue at the post office so I can determine the correct postage when putting items up for auction. Getting the price right is so very important; either one loses out by under-pricing or attracts negative feedback if the postal costs are too high.

Step forward the ACE150; it really is a superb solution for anyone that need to weigh accurately at home or in the office. The system comprises a weighing platform, a readout and a curly telephone-style cable to connect the two.

The platform black with nicely radiussed edges. It is approximately 20 cm square and 4 cm deep; it has four non-slip rubber feet. The readout is a two-piece hinged unit approximately 12 cm square and 2 cm deep. The lower half has four buttons: on/off, tare, mode and hold; it also houses the (supplied) 2 x AAA batteries; the upper part of the unit has a large ( 7 x 2 cm) blue-backlit LCD display. I have used rechargeable batteries with the readout and it works just fine and a USB cable is also supplied in case one prefers to power the unit externally. The curly lead is very flexible and easily extends to 2 metres. The readout can be fixed to a wall with the supplied wall plugs and screws ... very useful if one wants a more permanent set up.

The ACE150 could not be easier to use; plug the platform and readout together and press the on button. Pressing MODE cycles between the preferred unit of weight measurement (LB and Oz, LB to 2 decimal places, Kg to 3 decimal places and grammes ... the unit remembers the last used preference and auto powers off in around 2 minutes).

As with any weighing device it is essential to place the platform on a flat hard surface such as a desk or a floor (not carpeted). I found the platform performed very well when weighing rigid objects; larger softer items (children's clothes for example) are best weighed in a container. To do this simply place the container on the platform and press TARE; this resets the readout to zero and then the clothing could be accurately weighed. I have also used a A2 sized piece of 20 mm plywood to make it easier to weigh bulky items, again using the TARE function. The HOLD function is useful if one wishes to temporarily store the weight of an object after it has been removed from the platform.

Whilst the scales are able to deal with items weighing as much as 50 Kg (110 LB) it also very capable of weighing very light objects (a standard DL envelope 110 x 220 (takes A4 folded twice into thirds) weighs in at 6 grammes. If ever one needs to check the accuracy of scales at the lighter end of its range it might be worth knowing that coins can be used as reference weights: a £2 coin is 12.0g, £1 = 9.5g, 50p = 8.0g, 20p = 5.0g, 10p = 6.5g and 5p = 3.25g.

The ACE150 was accurate throughout; the final validation of the accuracy of these scales was a trip to the post office to send the parcels ... every one was spot on; nuff said.

Large, soft, collapsible storage for toys, linen or laundry. Fully lined with tie top in cream polka dot design.
Offered by The Pescara Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd bet you'd like this product, 15 July 2015
Bought for two daughters aged 8 & 5 (one for each bedroom) in an attempt to reduce the time spent sorting out their copious amount of washing. Well; firstly they really liked the style / colour of the bag and secondly (should really be firstly) they're using it as intended! I pop each of their washing pile into an individual mesh laundry bag and my life has become easier.

The bag will store around 30 litres (child's biggish rucksack; about a full week's washing for one daughter ) and when full I can can get both bags' contents into a 9 Kg washing machine. The quality of the product is really very well made and for me is without reproach.

Is there anything I don't like? Well ... I'd like to see a range of colours based on the existing polka dot theme and I din't like that the label was plastic-tagged to the rope handle ( lovely handle too); but removing both parts of the cut plastic from the plaited rope was quite fiddly; better if the tag was fixed to the bag.

Other than that I've got to say these bags are just what we wanted. The fact they can be squished and stored flat when not in use and are really quite capacious makes them a winner. They've been on my wish list for a few years (then they went out of stock ... left a message and the vendor contact me personally); so great value and good quality ... please get a few more colour options?

Buy one and see!

DBPOWER® 400A Peak 12000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter DJS20 Battery Charger Phone Laptop Power Bank
Offered by Bravo Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and very versatile, 14 July 2015
I have been using this charger / jump starter supplied to me for review purposes for about a week now.

I was very keen to try this out; my first use was with a Peugeot 307 that doesn't see a great deal of use. It has a 2.0 litre HDi engine and unless it's driven at least once a fortnight the battery doesn't quite hold enough charge and rather than buy a new battery I have a set of jump leads.

So I set about trying the starter on the 307. The car's battery did not have enough charge to turn the engine at all ... just the feared clicking sound from the starter motor and dulling of instrument warning lights. Bonnet up; jump starter connected (and tucked in safely so it couldn't fall when (if!) the engine started ... well ... one turn of the key and the engine started almost immediately. I really was (and still am) amazed by the sheer grunt in this little unit. The supplied jump leads can only be inserted into the unit one way (so no chance of reverse connections) and the grip of the crocodile clips is just excellent ... serrated copper teeth with a strong spring.

So; it works. The whole kit is compact and well made and lives in a rather good zipped case that holds all of the associated leads. After several test starts the device still had two LEDs illuminated (so over 50% of the charge was still remaining). The device has a very useful torch and red light feature. The unit can be charged very quickly with the supplied mains adapter; or in-car with the cigarette socket charger (also supplied).

I also rather liked that the unit is capable of charging a range of smart devices from phones to tablets and even laptops! There is a set of eight charging adapter plugs that sit on a neat rubber strap to fit the end of a supplied cable. One needs to set the output voltage (12, 16 or 19 volts), so if charging a laptop is a possible use, then check the voltage and choose the correct adapter (labelled A B C etc). There is also a USB output socket rated at 2.1 Amps with a micro USB cable supplied.

One might imagine that a 12000 mAh power bank could recharge a Smartphone's 2000 mAh battery 6 times (well that's what I thought anyway!) Here's the answer ...

So how many times can a DBPOWER power bank charge a phone?

DBPOWER power bank: 12000mAh, phone battery: 2000mAh

The calculation is (12000mAh x 90% x 80%) / 2000mAh
= 8640 / 2000
= 4.3

So roughly 4 times (assuming the phone's battery is completely drained). Why the 90%? This assumes the power bank can conserve up to 90% of its power. 80% is due to power loss in the charge / discharge process.

The instructions recommend that the power bank is kept at full charge where possible and charged at least twice a year if unused.

In conclusion I remain amazed how battery technology has advanced to the point where a box no bigger than my Galaxy Note phone (and about 30mm thick) can start a car with a flat battery and it sits happily in the glove compartment waiting for action; get one!

Vodafone Micro Pay as you go Data SIM with 1GB Data Included
Vodafone Micro Pay as you go Data SIM with 1GB Data Included

1.0 out of 5 stars A shockingly complex and drawn out process, 13 July 2015
I purchased this data card to take on holiday to replace a 3 network data SIM; apparently Vodafone is the best network in our destination in west Wales. I use a NETGEAR AC785 Aircard so that my daughters can get on-line with their iPads.

The 3 SIM card just worked; zero hassle. The Vodaphone card did not. The Netgear unit recognised the card but would not connect to the network. I created a Vodaphone account (on my PC) and was told that I had been sent an activation code with a 20 minute lifespan.

In order to read the message sent to my Netgear device I needed to connect my phone to the Aircard using a Netgear app on my Android phone. The app was sending me messages that the Aircard couldn't connect to the network (I knew that!), but I was able to read the activation code message from Vodafone.

Back to the PC and enter the code; all activated? ... err no! The Aircard did not recognise the Vodafone settings (it recognised the 3 data card's settings though). So I now receive another message on the Aircard from Vodaphone telling me to go to to a Vodaphone webpage to get information to manually set up an APN on the Aircard!

Anyway these are the settings for a tablet or mobile broadband dongle using a pay as you go Vodaphone data SIM

Device: Data
Plan: Any
APN: pp.vodafone.co.uk
User name: web
Password: web

I restarted the Aircard and hurrah! a network connection at last. Looking back at my Vodaphone account it tells me "Your allowance will end on 12 Jul 2015" (yesterday) It might update; so long as I can use my 1 Gb data I don't care.

I was going to return the SIM; I'm glad I persisted because of the initial need. Take a lesson from 3 Vodaphone; this is a shockingly complex and unnecessarily drawn out process and I suspect beyond many people's patience and/or ability.

Update: Vodaphone is not the best network in my holiday destination; I barely have a signal. Not only was it a shockingly complex and drawn out process, it was a waste of my time too!

Bi-Office 1200x900mm Aluminium Frame Magnetic Dry Wipe Board - White
Bi-Office 1200x900mm Aluminium Frame Magnetic Dry Wipe Board - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A very high quality board for use in the home / office or school., 13 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This a high-quality premium whiteboard with a ten year warranty. Its coated steel board is smooth and easy to write on with decent pens and it wipes easily leaving no trace of earlier scribbles. The board is supplied with a wall fixing kit (drill, screwdriver and spirit level required) and an aluminium pen tray that clips easily to the frame.

As the surface is steel it's very useful to be able to use magnets to hold notes and (in our case) children's drawings. As others have noted; do take the time to measure the space where the board is going to be used. Ours is mounted portrait ... top half for mum and dad's important stuff ... bottom half for the girls' important stuff.

All in all a very high quality whiteboard / display note board for use in the home / office or school.

EC Technology® Pocket-size Car Jump starter 10000mAh External Battery Power Bank Charger [400A Peak Current, Advanced Safety Protection, Built-In LED Flashlight; Portable Charger for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Tablets, GPS and More]
Offered by EC Technology UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 9 July 2015
I have been using this jump starter supplied to me for review purposes for a good couple of months now; in fact I should say rather a lot of people have been using this jump starter for a couple of months now.

I was very keen to try this out but I still couldn't quite believe that it could / would work given its size (especially when compared to the size of a standard lead acid car battery. My first use was with a Peugeot 307 that doesn't see a great deal of use. It has a 2.0 litre HDi engine and unless it's driven at least once a fortnight the battery doesn't quite hold enough charge and rather than buy a new battery I have a set of jump leads.

So, still with some scepticism I set about trying the starter on the 307. The car's battery did not have enough charge to turn the engine at all ... just the feared clicking sound and dulling of instrument warning lights. Bonnet up; jump starter connected (and tucked in safely so it couldn't fall when (if!) the engine started ... well ... one turn of the key and the engine started almost immediately. I really was (and still am) amazed by the sheer grunt in this little unit.

At the beginning I mentioned others had used this jump starter too. I took the unit to the pub to show it to a couple of friends; neither would believe that the device was capable of starting a car with a flat battery ... one of them runs his own one-man car repair business. Well; I lent it out and had a small amount of difficulty getting it back because car-business man was making full use of it ... he was truly wowed and won over (I did get it back and he did buy me a pint!).

So; it works. The whole kit is compact and well made and lives in a rather good zipped case that holds all of the associated leads. I haven't tested the claim of up to 20 starts but after several uses the starter still had two LEDs illuminated (so over 50% of the charge was still remaining). The device will also charge two phones / tablets simultaneously and has a very useful torch and red light feature. The unit can be charged quickly with the supplied mains adapter; or in-car with the cigarette socket charger (also supplied).

In conclusion I remain amazed how battery technology has advanced to the point where a box no bigger than my Galaxy Note phone (and about 25mm thick) can start a car with a flat battery and it sits happily in the glove compartment waiting for action; get one!
Comment Comment | Permalink