Profile for C. Barnes > Reviews

The Plot: A Biography of an English Acre
by Madeleine Bunting

4.0 out of 5 stars This made an inspiring gift for a family member, 15 Mar 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this book as a gift to a family member who loves local history and is presently compiling a family history. It seemed an appropriate gift. This then is just a report rather than a review that it went down very well. In fact it was the inspiration for my relative to make pilgrimages to places from their past and to expand their idea of what family history can be as they explore places from old memories and stories. if it managed that it must be good.

Wish You Were Here
Wish You Were Here
by Graham Swift
Price: 15.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely writing but I was never gripped, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: Wish You Were Here (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The writing is beautiful, the characters real and the story is achingly sad, however I found the pace of this novel to be just too slow. Graham Swift is such a talented writer but this story crawled along and no amount of beautiful prose could save it for me. Eventually I just lost interest and stopped caring about the main character. In respect of the obvious quality I don't want to criticise, just to say that if you enjoy introspective and thoughtful literature that is happy to take a very long time to build up the many layers of its protagonists then this may be for you. I tried very hard, but in the end I made it only about 60% of the way through before conceding that this wasn't for me.

The Sky's Dark Labyrinth (Sky's Dark Labyrinth Trilogy)
The Sky's Dark Labyrinth (Sky's Dark Labyrinth Trilogy)
by Stuart Clark
Price: 8.65

5.0 out of 5 stars The history of science brought to life, 11 Nov 2011
I'd never read any of Stuart Clark's books before this one. I bought it because I love popular science writing and I'd heard good things about Clark's other books. I'll confess that I didn't even realise it was a novel when I ordered it, I researched it that well. But I'm so pleased that I did buy it. The idea of turning the lives of key characters from the history of science is a risky one, but Stuart Clark has done it very well indeed. I knew who Kepler was and if I rummaged around in my memory I'd probably have been able to tell you of his achievements but having now read this book I feel that I have a far greater understanding of the circumstances surrounding how those discoveries were made and of the social environment which made them all the greater. The book is a cracking read, a good story well told and it's left me eagerly anticipating the next book in what is planned to be a trilogy. For science lovers it fleshes out great moments in history, and for lovers of a good story I'd be very surprised if it didn't light the spark of curiosity about the history of science. Thoroughly recommended and very accessible.

One Cello X 16: Natoma
One Cello X 16: Natoma
Offered by roundMediaUK
Price: 19.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting cello that will make you swoon, 8 Oct 2011
This review is from: One Cello X 16: Natoma (Audio CD)
This recording and Zoe's more recent "Into the Trees' are astounding records. they create swirling landscapes of mist and woods and bleakness, and I am in love with them. So to try to describe the music... Keating is a classically trained cellist who has headed out on the road less travelled to create truly original suites of music. It's just her and her mastery of the instrument and an understanding of how technology can help make great music. As far as I know her method is to create a musical phrase that she likes and to put it on a loop, then she jams with that until she finds something that works and fits what she is trying to achieve. That's then added and the process begins again with ever more layers being added until she has made the music she wants. It is amazing. It has echoes of western classical music and traditional african music and yet it is entirely new. Probably the best music I will hear all year.

Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
by Christine Padesky
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this fantastically helpful, 1 Oct 2011
During a major life trauma which led me to an emotional breakdown and depression I was shown this book by a friend who is a medical professional, and the first step to my recovery was the purchase of the book. Why would I recommend it? Well, it's easy to use. It's clear and thorough and obviously a well thought out programme. It's a programme you can start immediately. Just reading the opening chapters will make you feel that you are taking the first steps to climbing out of the pit that you've been living in. It encourages self respect and self belief straight away. You'll break away from the negative aspects of your situations with great speed. The CBT system works. It realigns the way you think and see yourself, and it's a long term fix.
I'm writing this review because I've just had reason to recommend the book to a friend who's having their own anxiety/panic/depression problems. I took a look at the exercises I'd completed when I was ill and was shocked at how terribly ill I'd been and amazed at the progress I could see as I worked through the programme. It would be no exaggeration to say that along with my friends I owe the authors of this book for my life as it is now. CBT is not difficult to understand mumbo jumbo. It's a technique for examining how you are living, thinking and reacting to your circumstances and how these interlinked elements can be gently made to work well for you giving you the best chance to make a full long term recovery.

Aluminum Adjustable Portable Folding 10'' 11" 13" 15.4" 17'' Laptop Bedside Table Stand Desk Bed Sofa Bed Mate Tray 360 degree with usb cable & built-in 2 Cool fans
Offered by 2011littlebunny
Price: 34.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, well made and very well designed, 23 Aug 2011
A very good design. It's so much more versatile than other laptop trays I've looked at. There are many ways in which this can be set up so that it can be used in bed, at a desk and on a sofa with the table at any angle you like to make keyboard use comfortable. Really well thought out. Very light and well finished with two USB connected cooling fans which run silently to stop any laptop overheating problems. It folds flat very quickly for storage. It took me a while to decide which product to buy for sitting in bed with the laptop and I think I've made an excellent choice. Delivery was lightning fast too, less than 48hrs from ordering on Sunday to delivery on Tuesday. It comes well packaged and ready to use.

Sky's the Limit: British Cycling's Quest to Conquer the Tour de France
Sky's the Limit: British Cycling's Quest to Conquer the Tour de France
by Richard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 15 Aug 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sure that there will be a number of updates to this book as Team Sky evolves over the coming years. Even now after nearly two seasons of racing they have moved on so much, but as an historical record of the growing pains of that first year in the peloton this makes fascinating reading. This is as much a follow up to 'Heroes, Villains and Velodromes' as anything, the next step for British Cycling, and it's written as a piece of journalistic story telling. It appears rigorous and impartial and is an eye opener into the methodology and principles which guide Team Sky. Whether you like the methods or not there's much to learn about how Sky operate and how they have learned from their mistakes as well as looking at the radically new approach they've bought to road racing.
The clean riding English speaking teams are changing the continental sport and it's good to understand how they're doing it. It's not a traditional approach, but any fan can see that it's now having an impact and making for exciting clean racing so it's well worth a read.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 30 July 2011
A sturdy little book that can take the bashes of living in the car door pocket. Very sensibly laid out and quick to fill in. If you need to keep mileage records this simple purchase will make life easy for you

The Spring Classics: Cycling's Greatest One-day Races
The Spring Classics: Cycling's Greatest One-day Races
by Philippe Bouvet
Price: 25.39

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully illustrated and a good historical reference, 30 July 2011
This year I went to see my first one day classic bike race, Paris Roubaix. It was amazing and a completely different atmosphere to the big stage races. the passion of the crowds and the pride of the history of this brutal race were tangible. Next year I'm off to Flanders for some more of the same. Having already bought the sister volume to this book Paris-Roubaix: A Journey Through Hell I knew what I'd get. It's a lovely volume tracing the history of all the classics and filled with great photos spanning the 100+ years that many have been running. It's more than a coffee table book. It's inspiring and a glorious record of the toughest races on earth. If the series continues to be expanded I'll be buying more. An excellent luxury for any fan.

Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar
Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar
by David Millar
Price: 15.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption, 30 July 2011
Dave Millar has a lot to say. He's the living embodiment of modern day cycling. He became a pro at the height of the EPO era full of idealistic hopes for a career of clean riding but became sucked into the culture of doping. He was caught, banned and rebuilt his life and his career, and he did it because of his love of the sport and his desire not only to compete once more but to do so cleanly and to save future generations of aspiring cyclists from having to go through what he went through. His story is fascinating and revealing. The book is well written and a gripping read. I've always liked Millar because of his swagger and panache on a bike, his articulateness when talking to journalists and his openness to fans when at races. I respect what he is trying to do for the sport and in this book the whole story is revealed. How his life led to becoming a pro, how his downfall came about (and by inference how it happens to so many riders) and what drives him to keep riding and working for a fair sport. A very good book indeed. Chapeau to you Mr Millar

Page: 1 | 2 | 3