Profile for harrietelisabeth > Reviews

harrietelisabeth

Being Human: The Road
Being Human: The Road

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 16 July 2013
Haven't ever watched Being Human, which is part of the reason I picked up this book. Simon's writing is distinctive yet elegant, and the characters leap off the page brilliantly. I'll definitely be reading more of his books and seeking out films he's scripted.

The book is a companion to series 1-3, something I found out to my horror when I opened a series 4 episode and... Well, I'll refrain from spoilers!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly powerful and moving., 18 July 2012
Most people my age read this book when they were growing up and loved it. I picked it up when at an older age, half expecting to have "grown out" of the story, being as how I'm well past the high school experience. I couldn't have been more wrong. The story is very well written - I would say one of the best written books I have ever read - and conveys each plot and subplot perfectly.

The themes throughout the book are very current, if very shocking. It's a book that I would not recommend to readers below the age of 13, but that I would gladly tell everyone above that age to pick up. It's a must-read.

I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did, and that you emerge from the back page being moved in some way. I know I was.

The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel
The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 6 May 2011
I have to admit, from reading the blurb before I bought the book, I wasn't massively excited about reading it; I only opened the cover because I'm such a fan of the Mortal Instruments series. How wrong I was not to trust Cassandra Clare!

What struck me most about it, is how beautifully the book is written. A perfect balance between modern language and 1800's lexis brings the reader easily back into 19th Century London, without any of the original worry I had about having to translate "Shakespeare-like" language as I went along. Clare proves time and time again how witty and funny she is, as well as what a superb imagination she has. Without a doubt, The Infernal Devices is written ten times better than the preceding Mortal Instruments books; a feat which I would've found difficult to believe when I first picked it up.

The only two criticisms I have are firstly, the repetition of one or two phrases throughout the book. This is something that I find particularly chafes on my subconscious as I read, and I do wish that she would have sometimes found a different way to say things. Secondly, almost every character loosely mirrors one in the Mortal Instruments series. Equally, whilst this was a huge issue for some readers, I found it quite interesting and it hardly bothered me at all.

Conclusively, I cannot recommend this enough for fantasy and romance lovers. I am excited for the next instalments; although can't help but be a little disappointed that we only get three books of this fantastic plot.