Profile for Willyum R > Reviews

Content by Willyum R

Willyum R "Willyum" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Apple iPod shuffle 2GB - Slate  (Latest Model - Launched Sept 2012)
Apple iPod shuffle 2GB - Slate (Latest Model - Launched Sept 2012)
Offered by Bright Colours
Price: 41.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made and packaged, but that is no use if the thing doesn't work....., 5 Jun 2014
Bought an Ipod Shuffle to play my MP3s of radio comedies, plus BBC radio podcasts. Chose Ipod because the brand has become the name for all such products, as Hoover became the name for the vacuum cleaner. So it must be good eh?

It was nicely packaged, and sleekly designed in grey metal. So far so good. I was already in love with it as I carefully followed the instructions to set it up. Six hours later I was still trying, but whatever \i tried it refused to synchronise with ITunes on my Windows 7 PC, no matter how many times I reloaded the software onto my PC and reset the Ipod back to factory settings to try again. I found simply hundreds of frustrated fellow-sufferers online who had posted their fixes or, more often, their inability to fix it. So sadly Ipod Shuffle has been sent back to Amazon, and I have ordered a Sandisc Sansa Clip MP3 player to replace it.

Logitech K120 Keyboard - UK Layout
Logitech K120 Keyboard - UK Layout
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget keyboard, 10 May 2014
My new ZooStrorm PC (which I love) came with a totally useless keyboard (the letters on the keys were unreadable - blue ink on a black keyboard), and none of my old keyboards had a USB connection. So, carefully reading all the Amazon reviews I chose this as the budget keyboard for me, and I am very pleased with it. It has a nice feel to it, and the white writing on the black keys is very clear and easy to read even in poor light. The weird shape of the keyboard isn't quite as pointless as it seems because it allows for a fat space-bar, which is a boon. It also makes it look as though you have paid far more for it than you actually have! Whilst it is not a silent keyboard, it is not annoyingly noisy either.

Nikon COOLPIX L27 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
Offered by SHAN-DEALZ
Price: 69.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact point-and-shoot camera, 10 May 2014
There are lots of this kind of camera on the market - I carefully chose this one because it looked the best of the cheapest, and because Nikon (and Canon) make the best top-end professional digital cameras, and I thought that some of this quality might have rubbed off on their budget cameras. I think it has.

Although my first impression was that the camera was a little plastic-looking, once I got it going I was amazed at how much camera you get for such a modest price. The lens is good, and all the buttons and knobs where you would expect them and intuitive to use - I hardly had to read the instruction-booklet. I bought a 8GB Sandisc memory card (rather annoying that these are not included with the camera) with which it can store around 1,000 16 megapixel photos, and an Expro black case to put it in - a satisfactory case, but again annoying that the camera doesn't automatically come with one. I like the fact that it takes two AA batteries because they are universally available, and a set lasted me at least the 200 photos advertised (including plenty using the flash).

The L27 takes great photos - I have it on the easy setting whereby the camera does all the work for you - I just point and shoot, but there are various modes and settings that you can play with if that is your thing. Downloading photos to my PC took a few minutes to master, but is now very easy. I use it at work (I am a gardener) to take before-and-after photos of shrubs, plus photos of any wildlife that trots past, and I am looking forward to taking it on a walking-holiday in June where small size and light weight are important. And at this price the world won't end if I lose it in a river. It would be a great first-camera for a child or an elderly person who hasn't used a digital camera before.

Zoostorm 7877-0310 Business Desktop PC (Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD-RW, USB 2.0, 1x DVI-D, 1x VGA, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 7 Professional)
Price: 259.83

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good, cheap, PC, 10 April 2014
I have had this PC for a couple of months. I had a small budget (400, including a new monitor which was going to be a Samsung one for 99), and definitely wanted Windows 7, and not Windows 8 or 8.1. This computer fitted the bill, and I am especially happy with Windows 7, which is very easy to move to from Windows XP, When I first set it up, the computer was indeed rather noisy, which others have mentioned, but it has quietened with time. I use it for surfing the net, e-mails and other basic stuff, and have no desire to play games on it, so cannot comment on how it would cope with that, but for what I do it is quick and does everything that you would expect a PC to do. Highly recommended.

Travel Posters (Dover Postcards)
Travel Posters (Dover Postcards)
by Dover
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book of postcards, 1 Mar 2014
This is a book of travel postcards which can be removed from the book and posted to friends. I have framed the four or five that I liked most, and am busy using the rest to communicate with friends. A cheap way of buying nice picture-postcards.

Amaryllis, Paperwhites and Poinsettias: Growing, Propagating and Reblooming Your Holiday Plants
by Miranda Hopkins
Price: 5.38

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, 1 Mar 2014
I bought this as a present for my sister-in-law, hoping that it would be full of horticultural advice on how to re-use her Christmas amaryllis. It turned out to be a much slighter book than I had anticipated, and I'm not sure that the author really knows much about amaryllis anyway. There is nothing here that can't be very easily found on the internet on gardening/horticulture websites. Don't bother with it.

Field Guns in France
Field Guns in France
by Neil Fraser-Tytler
Price: 10.31

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classic First World War memoirs, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: Field Guns in France (Paperback)
"Field Guns in France" by Lt.-Col. Neil Fraser-Tytler takes the form of 52 letters written by a middle-ranking British Artillery officer on the Western Front in the First World War, which he wrote to his father at home, clearly with the intention of them forming a diary/memoir which would survive if he died. A battery commander in the Royal Field Artillery, he was at first in charge of a battery of 4.5 inch howitzers, and later a battery of 18-pounders. He started off on the Somme in the winter of 1915/16, just as the army was recovering from the Battle of Loos, in the days when the Somme was still a quiet sector. We follow him through the battles of the Somme and Third Ypres until the German Spring offensive of 1918, after which the effects of gas-poisoning caught up with him and his days in action were over.

An old Etonian who loves to go out game-bird shooting just behind the lines every time he gets a chance (and can borrow or otherwise obtain a gun-dog), he constantly makes light of personal discomfort. Perhaps rather disconcertingly to the modern reader, he is constantly keen to kill as many Germans as possible, and keeps a tally of his estimated victims which he puts in a list at the back of the book (together with the usual maps).

This book will appeal to those who find any First World War memoirs fascinating; this one is well-written and very readable. For those artillery enthusiasts who want to find out about artillery in the Great War, then this is one of the most important accounts of all; there are loads of details which will be of interest, particularly about the siting and moving of the guns, and the supply of ammunition.

For me the great value of this book lies in the fact that it was written as he went along, so not only is it factually reliable, but it reflects the thoughts and mood of the author at the time whilst the war was still going on around him, rather then the hindsight-influenced memoirs of old men.

A very readable book, I bought a new copy from Amazon for 11.50 - for a 250-page paperback this isn't cheap, but it was certainly well worth it.

Ricco MD2 MINI DSP 2.0 CHANNEL Ultra Light Aluminium USB Portable Travel Speaker For Laptop Desktop MAC Computer Netbook ---(Built-in DSP USB Sound Card, NO messy 3.5mm audio line-in cable is required any more.) (1xBLACK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speakers for a PC, 22 Jan 2014
I selected these speakers, having read the Amazon reviews for dozens of budget speakers for my new PC. They are excellent - they have a nice weight to them, so they don't fall off my desk, and they sound really good. with plenty of bass. You couldn't quite use them for a disco, but turned-up you could certainly get the neighbours complaining if you wanted to - they have better sound than my new Toshiba flat-screen telly, which in turn I thought had rather impressive sound. I opted for the black and silver look for my speakers, and what made me truly fall in love with them was the funky blue glow that radiates from their base. I paid 12.99 for mine on Amazon, and no one who sees them believes that they were this inexpensive.

With a Machine Gun to Cambrai
With a Machine Gun to Cambrai
by George Coppard

5.0 out of 5 stars A famous memoir, 6 Oct 2013
"With a machine gun to Cambrai" is one of the most famous of memoirs from the First World War, written as it was by a private (and later NCO) and not a junior officer, as so many were. Written in a straightforward manner many years later, (he appears to have just read Robert Graves' "Goodbye to all that" which he mentions a few times), Coppard joined the army at the outbreak of war, aged sixteen and a half, was a private in the West Surrey Regiment, then a private and later an NCO in the Machine Gun Corps in the 12th Division.

What I found fascinating was his training - he keeps getting bits of kit stolen and is always short of money - when he has some wages he frequently gets lured into gambling it away, and he is always hungry. Once on the Western Front his descriptions of the Machine Gun Corps in action make this required reading for anyone who is researching this unit, especially the use of barrage-fire when his machine-gun was required to fire 15,000 rounds in a few hours.

I found his occasional little rants about generals or the use of the tank rather tiresome - they read as though these are opinions he has picked up in later years in the pub, but otherwise this is a moving little book that rings true in every way.

It is a small book - just 135 pages, and when it arrived from Amazon (second-hand) I did wonder if it was worth the 11.51 that I had paid for it. Well it was, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the First World War.

The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
The History Boys [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Richard Griffiths
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A film of a play, 6 Oct 2013
This film has so many reviews on Amazon, and I whole heartedly throw my lot in with those who love it.

Yes, it is very much still a play written for live performance on a stage, only slightly adapted for cinema, and the cast were getting a little too old - in any case Bennett wrote them as more mature and confident than one might expect from 18/19 year-olds, but one goes with that: we know that they are a completely exceptional group of pupils such as the school has never had before. We are told that (at the beginning of term at least) Posner, almost unnoticed at first but who turns out by the end to be the central character, is still 17, and alone among actors in their mid-late 20s really convinces as a boy; but when he sings, his performance becomes rather too mature and knowing, but amusing and moving nonetheless.

Supposedly set in Sheffield, I was amused to see familiar vistas of Halifax in the opening moments of the film, and then when Hector rides his somewhat over-loaded motorbike home each day.

I was beguiled by this film, and highly recommend it, but (with much strong language and overtly homosexual themes) it is certainly not for the prudish, or those unwilling to accept and go with the stylisation that comes with a film of a play.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6