Profile for paul W > Reviews

Content by paul W

paul W (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Brunhide Genuine 100% Soft Leather Coin Purse With Key Ring # 211-300 - Plum
Brunhide Genuine 100% Soft Leather Coin Purse With Key Ring # 211-300 - Plum
Offered by Oakgrain Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality, 23 Jan. 2014
The size is just right - most of this type of coin purse are too small but this is enough to contain the accumulated shrapnel that I accrue. Absolute quality feel and construction - a bargain at this price. I'm delighted with this purchase.

Oxford Products OF146 Cable Lock
Oxford Products OF146 Cable Lock
Offered by Roaduserdirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after a few months, 13 Jan. 2014
I made a schoolboy error and didn't test the lock before I locked my scooter to a town centre ground anchor. When I came back the key didn't work so I had to go buy some boltcutters to release my machine. I had this lock for less than a year and used it very few times.

DIGITAL MINI POCKET WEIGHING SCALE 1000g/0.1g Jewellery/Jewelry Gold Herb My-Zone®

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible instructions. Do not work, 6 Dec. 2013
The Chinglish in the instructions is impossible to understand. Maybe I got a dud but when I place an object on the scales nothing happens. Trying to calibrate in order to troubleshoot left the screen blinking with no way to progress without taking out the batteries.

Moon X-Power 500 Front LED Light - Black
Moon X-Power 500 Front LED Light - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for unlit roads and paths, 29 Nov. 2013
120 lumens(4th brightest setting) is fine for me on unlit roads and a pitch black canal towpath. The light snaps reassuringly into the bracket easily. The bracket is simple to fit and is secured by a cam as in a quick-release bicycle wheel. The light swivels horizontally and you can swivel it up or down if you don't fit the cam too tight. Use an elastic band to give extra security to the usb charge cover.

I've got two commutes of an hour each with switching settings - I could have got more but didn't know how much charge I had left.

If you want to see as well be seen then I can highly recommend this.

Bananas About La Palma
Bananas About La Palma

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently amusing, 28 Oct. 2013
I found the tone very amusing with some laugh out loud moments. It's a lighthearted, self-deprecating account of the hen-pecked author and his long-suffering wife travelling around La Palma on their holiday. There was also some useful info on the island as well.

I was sorry to finish the book and will look for other books by the author.

Walks in La Palma, La Isla Bonita
Walks in La Palma, La Isla Bonita
by Lance Chilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful, 27 Oct. 2013
This is worth the price for the info on the bus stops above the resort of Los Cancajos - the ability to use these stops instead of having to go into Santa Cruz and change bus is a massive convenience and timesaver.

The maps are something to behold - that of Barlovento saved time and confusion at the start of a walk from there using walk instructions from a different book.

The walks and instructions are excellent. The extension to San Bartolo on the Cubo de Galga walk I can highly recommend - walk up to the mirador for a great view then relax with a drink in the bar while waiting for the guagua/bus. I also recommend the author's suggested alternative descent from Somada Alta on the same walk - an easy, pleasant stroll.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright but poor connection to battery pack, 4 Oct. 2013
The light is bright and you can't argue with the price.

There are a couple of things that let it down. The battery pack doesn't stay put on the top of the cross-bar and slips underneath - not a major issue and I'm sure I'll find a way to fix this. The bigger problem is the poor connection between the light and the battery pack; it's just not secure enough and comes apart too easily. You would expect a kind of click as the two ends are joined but the two ends just slide together. Again, I'll have to think of a faff-free way to make this more secure.

People have commented on the rubber rings that fix the light to the handlebars as not being stable enough but mine stays there rock-solid.

Chiba Gel Comfort Plus Mens Summer Fingerles Cycling Gloves / Mitts - 2013 (Red /Black, Large)
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Questionable ulnar support, 12 Sept. 2013
The large is comparable in size to other large size gloves.

My only concern is that the gel padding for the ulnar nerve doesn't protect the base of the outer palm near the wrist - just the outer fleshy part of the palm. It looks a bit strange to leave a gap between the padding and the base of the hand near the wrist.

I'm no Doctor so I'd be quite willing to give this five stars if it turned out that these gloves do in fact protect the ulnar nerve properly.

Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew
Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew
Price: £11.52 - £48.50

5.0 out of 5 stars You can rely on the classics, 16 Aug. 2013
It's no coincidence you see this being worn everywhere by climbers and walkers - it's the best. Excellent wicking ability and stops you getting cold - also seems to allow me to stay at just the right, comfortable temperature no matter how much exertion I produce. I've tried other base layers - they're not a patch on this one.

Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this to save money and battery life, 19 July 2013
The more expensive etrex 30 has a compass and altimeter - for walkers you'll be carrying an additional compass anyway and an altimeter is a nice-to-have only. Both these additional features will cost battery power. Stick with the etrex 20 if you don't need these features.

I got hold of a free British Isles map (widely available online though you can pay for garmin maps of course), renamed it to gmapsupp.img, and copied it into a folder I created called garmin on a micro sd card and inserted that into the etrex 20; the etrex 20 was then able to show that map. I uploaded free .gpx files onto the etrex 20 to use with the map. I have a separate micro sd card with map and .gpx files for a trip to La Palma later in the year. All very straightforward and convenient. It might even be possible somehow to do all this with one sd card but I don't know.

I have a garmin geko 301 which can't show maps and the ability to see instantly where you are on a map with the etrex is so much more convenient than having to use the geko coordinates to see where you are on a paper map.

The accuracy of this device is astounding, not that the Geko was deficient in any way but the etrex 20 takes it to a new level.

Very importantly the etrex 20 will hold, I believe, 2,000 waypoints and 200 routes - more than enough for, let's say, a two-week trip.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4