Profile for S. Howes > Reviews

Content by S. Howes

S. Howes (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Wansview 1080P IP Camera WiFi Wireless IP Security Camera , Full HD Plug / Play Home Surveillance Camera, Pan / Tilt with Two - Way Audio and Night Vision NCM625GA
Offered by Wansview-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good - But has some issues, 23 May 2016
I have a CCTV system that I put together with an old PC someone gave to me, a 1080p webcam plugged into the PC and two Tenvis IP cameras. This cost me about £60 in hardware and another £30 for some CCTV software. The Tenvis cameras did their job just fine for a couple of years and the video from them was about what I expected for a £27 480p and a £33 720p set of IP cameras. As time had gone on, I decided that the image quality was not what I wanted and the wif-fi signal to the camera at the rear of the house was poor and and the video would have a lot of green frames cropping up in the video, where the wi-fi failed to deliver. When I saw the Wansview at a good price and with good reviews, I decided to buy one. This camera arrived the next day and there looks like there is plenty for people who wish to view the camera over a smartphone via an app, but I did not explore that, I just wired in the camera, set-up the wi-fi, fixed an IP in the router and forwarded a port for offsite viewing (I have a fixed IP address from my ISP, so I did not need to use the cameras settings to view remotely). I then added the camera to my Xeoma CCTV system. First thing to strike me was the detail. The video is so much better. The second thing is the effect of the fish-eye lens, it gives great coverage of a larger area - the only minor issue is the slight curving at either side of the frame, but that is nothing compared to the greater function it brings. Resolution can be up to 1080p and I use that resolution with 10FPS (the camera supports 25 FPS) and I upped the bit-rate to 4MB/Sec.

The camera is well built, with just one concern relating to how well the DC power plug will stay in the camera over a period of time. There were some very annoying issues with my old Tenvis cameras that the Wansview has fully sorted out:
The Wansview does not keep powering on and off.
The Wansview does not spin round every time it powers up - knocking on the window as it juddered about.
The Wansview has really good wi-fi - no more green frames (Wireless N and a 3dbi antenna have done their bit).
The Wansview has a slot for a 64GB SD card - should you need it, but I have not tried this function.
The Wansview has a reasonable manual (not a great one, but far better than my old cameras had).

I was so impressed with the image quality, that the same day that the Wansview arrived, I order another one to replace all of my old IP cameras.

Whilst I am very pleased, there are some issues that have let the Wansview down in terms of my intended use:
A better fit for the power cord into the camera - it does not fit tightly.
I cannot operate the PTZ from my CCTV software, which I could do with my Tenvis - with the Wansview, I have the fiddly operation of opening a webpage to move the camera alongside my CCTV software - it works but is "messy" and annoying. If anyone knows if there is a way of getting the PTZ to work in Xeoma on the Wansview - please do comment, as Google has not delivered on this.
It took some digging to find out how to get a RTSP stream from the camera, which is essential for my CCTV software - if you need that info, here it is -
rtsp://user:password@IP adress/RTSP port/live/ch0
So a typical one would be:
rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.19/554/live/ch0 (main stream)
rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.19/554/live/ch1 (lower res stream)
rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.19/554/live/ch2 (very low res stream)

The Tenvis had a nice bright flashing green LED, that people approaching the house could see. The LEDs on the Wansview are small, less obvious, less bright and are blue and red, which is difficult to see. The Tenvis was a better deterrent and I miss that.

The photographs attached show the image from my old 720 camera and my new 1080Wansview - the quality is evident, as is the field of view.

For info - I have not commented on any of the apps or supplied software, as I have not used them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Humax DTR-T2000 500GB YouView Receiver with HD
Humax DTR-T2000 500GB YouView Receiver with HD

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good box, but reliability in operation is a real issue., 15 April 2016
A very good product in operation, operates fast, great features and very user friendly - in fact, the best TV box I could imagine for features. I like YouView, as do the rest of the family, so having recordings, catch-up in the EPG and the TV players along with Netflix is a real winner, but there is an issue. We got our TV box in June 2015 and within a couple of months and it developed a fault with the picture and recordings. This was resolved by Humax with a collect & deliver to the door service and the new box is fine. A month or so later, the remote stopped working, some buttons would work, others would not. Again Humax sent a new remote and we are now fine. However, no matter how reasonable the support is from the manufacturer, there is an issue with reliability with this box that should be in the mind of anyone wanting to purchase this box. I cannot imagine using a different TV box in the near future, but I also will be reluctant to replace this with a similar Humax model in the future because of the reliability issues that have hit us in a very short period after purchase. If reliable, worthy of 5 stars, but with the issues we had, it loses 3 for poor reliability.

Tefal GV8431 Pro Express Steam Generator Iron - Blue/White
Tefal GV8431 Pro Express Steam Generator Iron - Blue/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great make and design., 14 April 2016
Very good iron. We had a previous model very similar to this and it lasted many years. Great in use, very easy to iron with and easy to maintain.

Philips Master PL-S 9W Warm White G23 2-Pin Lamp
Philips Master PL-S 9W Warm White G23 2-Pin Lamp
Offered by The Lightbulb Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks, 14 April 2016
Arrived well wrapped, Phillips boxed and branded, works well and good price.

Spares2go 3 Wheel Glass Plate Roller Ring Support Stand for Panasonic Microwave (180mm)
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 April 2016
Very old and well built 1980's Panasonic microwave gets to live a bit longer - thank you!

Asus Vivo VC62B DualBay Intel Core i3-4030U Barebone PC
Asus Vivo VC62B DualBay Intel Core i3-4030U Barebone PC
Offered by iSolutions (VAT Included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little PC, 27 Mar. 2016
Firstly it is an Asus and that usually means reliable and reasonable quality - certainly seems well built and well designed, with unique storage features. This is a good little PC, which can run Windows or Linux. I tried it out with Ubuntu, but it would not boot from USB thumb drive or USB DVD drive...little bit frustrating for about an hour. I googled this issue and found that Ubuntu 14.04 did not have support for the newer Wi-Fi adapter, so into the BIOS, switched off the Wi-Fi adapter, plugged in a Cat 6 LAN cable and Ubuntu installs just fine. I went for overkill with RAM, aiming for £50 worth, but got the HyperX Kingston RAM Amazon recommended, 2 x 8GB sticks, giving 16GB at just under £60 - thanks for the recommendation Amazon. The speed of the PC is what I would expect from a Core2 Quad laptop of about 8yrs ago with on-board graphics, but in a modern setting (USB 3.0, UFEI BIOS & so on) at very low voltage - perfectly reasonable for Linux. The graphics are not to play games on, but I intend to put Windows 7 on, upgrade to 10 (to get the licence before I lose the chance in July) then dual boot with Linux or just use Linux and use either as a CCTV PC for Xeoma or just use to test drive various Linux distros.. I will update the review with Windows performance next month.
The great feature about this PC is that it will take either a 3.5" 7,200 RPM HDD or up to two 2.5" HDD's, which are either SSD's or mechanical drives. There are newer and smaller tiny PC's that will not accommodate either size of HDD, so I wanted to avoid the newer models as that would not be any good as a CCTV PC.

This PC is not going to perform fast, it is a 4th generation mobile Core i3, but is very much slower than my desktop 2nd generation Core i3, so do not expect video editing or gaming from this PC. If you are considering this PC, have a look at a CPU benchmark website, to see how this processor performs in comparison to what you currently use or know of. You have to factor in the cost of RAM, but you can get 8GB for under £30 at Amazon and you need a hard drive, SSD if performance is an issue - if you have HDD's awaiting re-use, like I did, you have very little extra to pay.

Early days into the use of this PC, but I view it as a laptop without a built-in monitor, so with that viewpoint fixed, I will use the PC for a few weeks then report back.

Update
======

I have installed Windows 7 via USB DVD and upgraded to Windows 10. Windows 7 was a good user experience, but the upgrade process to 10 took all day. Windows 10 was reasonable, but not snappy (never expected it to be). After the upgrade, I wiped the HDD and went for a clear install of Windows 10 on DVD. This resulted in the request for a media driver, which cannot be satisfied, so I went for USB thumb drive install of Windows 10, which was fine and stable. I currently have Ubuntu on this PC, which has to be installed via USB thumb drive (or there are errors). In operation in would randomly system crash every half hour or so. I traced this to the wireless card, which I have now disabled in the BIOS and there is perfect stability in Ubuntu 14.04. I put on the CCTV software, Xeoma, and this PC performs very well, so very pleased so far. The wireless card was not tried in Windows 7 and was stable in Windows 10.

Startech 8 inch ATX12V 4-Pin M/F P4 CPU Power Extension Cable
Startech 8 inch ATX12V 4-Pin M/F P4 CPU Power Extension Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality., 15 Feb. 2016
New case arrived, all modern, but using older 500watt PSU, which goes under the motherboard in this new case. The cables are not long enough, thankfully Amazon same day delivery steps in and saves the day.

Sharkoon T3-S Midi ATX Computer Case
Sharkoon T3-S Midi ATX Computer Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case - not fully equipped for all ATX motherboards, 15 Feb. 2016
Good budget case, in fact, for the money very good. The metal is thin, but shaped to make it stronger, but it would not tolerate being based about and knocked. The overall feel and look of the case is above my expectations for the asking price. I liked the look of the case, the fan built into the front, the included PC speaker to attach to the motherboard, the blue lights at the front, the drive bays (floppy/card reader via an included converter, DVD bays, 3.5" bays and 2.5" bays. You get two USB ports and audio to the front and the ability to add a rear and two side fans. I added a rear fan and a second front fan in the two spare DVD bays. I liked how sturdily the PCIE and PCI cards are secured, with a bracket, but each also screwed in. I was not fond of how the drives were secured, but this on a par with other modern cases. What I really did not like is that the expansion slots do not cater for an ATX motherboard. The motherboard fits in, just about touching the PSU, which rests at the bottom of the case (I had to buy extensions to the power cables for the 24 pin motherboard and 4 pin CPU power cables - same day delivery from Amazon), but the lowest PCIE slot on the motherboard does not have a slot for it in the case. There is like a "fake" slot, but it is not stamped out, so I lose a precious PCIE slot with this case. This is the only part of this purchase that annoyed me. This is not the end of the World for this build, as it is for a spare PC with an 8 yr old 775 motherboard (Asus P5k), but had it been for my main PC, I would not be happy at all.

On balance, I am pleased with the case, but had I known about the PCIE slot issue I would have looked for a different case that did not have this issue. But if you have a Micro ATX motherboard, only 5 expansion slots or have a PCI slot in the lowest position of the 6 (that you will not use), then this is a great budget case for the price. The odd thing is that there are 6 slots in the case and 6 slots on the motherboard, but the case slots are one slot higher than the motherboard slots. This motherboard is fitted correctly, as it could not go further up and aligns with the screw holes.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The router looks smart and appears well built, 12 Feb. 2016
The RT-AC68U router itself, stands upright and is vented on top, which will prevent you covering the vents with paper or items you place by the router (my router is by the front door, so mail was placed by it and a router that lies down could get its vents covered in mail). The router looks smart and appears well built. It has Gigabite LAN and 1 x USB 2.0 and 1 x USB 3.0 sockets for storage/printers. You can switch off the LEDS, but being dark blue they will only annoy in a living or bedroom.

I installed this router very quickly; the wizard took care of everything for me (I have Plusnet as an ISP) and the wizard then upgraded the firmware for me. The firmware is more what you would expect from DD-WRT in terms of options, but neatly presented with a whole host of advanced features and filters, such a virus filters, parental controls, NAS capability and so on. I really cannot praise the software enough, such a relief having come from the woeful Netgear R7500, which has more horsepower, but was never stable and failed me in so many ways – the final blow for that router, was that Netgear have ceased support on the R7500 (after only 18 months since release). Having been burnt like that, I was relieved to see that the ASUS website has many and regular firmware updates for the RT-AC68U, the latest being about 2 weeks ago, so it became a serious contender for me to purchase. I had the Netgear R7500 for just 11 months and this was a frustrating time in terms of stability of Wi-Fi signal. Having spent (wasted) £170 on the Netgear R7500 less than a year ago, I was not willing to pay out that amount again, so I opted for a less well specified router from Asus. I guessed I would get less power, but stability was what we really needed. On testing the Asus RT-AC68U, I was surprised to discover that the RT-AC68U outperformed the Netgear R7500 in every way possible. Web pages were more responsive, it is rock solid in terms of stability (the Netgear R7500 would keep dropping the wireless), the wireless signal is stronger than the Netgear R7500 and speed tests are better. For a 3 x 3 AC 1900 Asus router to wipe the floor with a more powerful (& more expensive) 4 x 4 AC2300 Netgear router is significant and points to how well put together this router is in terms of hardware and firmware.

Because I have some demanding tasks for a router, the ASUS RT-AC68U has some work to do before I “use” it for testing, as it has three HD CCTV cameras feeding into it to a CCTV PC before I even start my tests. There is almost no CPU activity from the router from this CCTV load, which was a surprise. Even when feeding HD Netflix through it alongside the CCTV, it seemed un-phased. So with four streams of HD video running through it I gave it some tests. This would effectively simulate a family using the router.
On a 76MB connection (I usually get 68-72MB/Sec on wired), I conducted a speed test with the 3 x CCTV HD feeds and a HD Netflix video playing. The test was on Wi-Fi 5G and the speeds were measured on an Android tablet:-
Ground floor (near router) D/L 65.50MB/Sec, U/L 17.14MB/Sec
1st Floor D/L 61.07MB/Sec, U/L 17.21MB/Sec
2nd Floor D/L 61.05MB/Sec, U/L 17.23MB/Sec

The Wi-Fi signal remained reasonably strong on all three floors and the responsiveness was very good. My house was built in the 1930’s and is made of very dense engineering bricks, so Wi-Fi has a problem with the walls and the neighbours (I have 30+ 2.4G networks in my house when measured on the first floor). The signal remained strong when tested (see images), which may have something to do with the reduced competition on the 5G spectrum as well as the Asus RT-AC68U having more power in terms of Wi-Fi.
In conclusion, I have found this to be a well built, good looking, well specified and high performing router, which I wish I had purchased 11 months ago, which would have saved me £170; but I had to learn the hard way - Five stars for the Asus RT-AC68U!
Comment Comment | Permalink

NVIDIA Shield 16 GB Android TV Box With Controller
NVIDIA Shield 16 GB Android TV Box With Controller
Offered by Scan Computers Intl Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, but where is Prime Video?, 13 Jan. 2016
I have been using the Shield TV for about 3 weeks and in that time I have come to see this device as a mixed bag, with loads of potential. I was lucky enough to get the TV remote, game controller and console at a reduced price for Black Friday. The hardware appears good and well built. The game controller is good, but not XBox good and the TV remote feels really good in your hand and is very stylish. I installed games from Google and Nvidia and noticed how well they played and how slick and responsive the interface was. I used a 32GB MicroSD card to expand storage and I added a wireless keyboard and mouse. I was a little bit amazed to find that Amazon Prime Video and Amazon Music are both missing. This shocked me, as I was certain that Amazon announced that they would only sell TV streaming devices that support Prime Video, so I took it for granted it would be compatible. Whatever the cause of Amazon Prime Video not being on the console, it is a great shame, as the picture quality for Netflix on the Shield TV is better than I have seen before (on XBox One/360 or PS3/4).

I really like the TV remote, so thin and well built, but sadly mine lasted but a few days before it started to randomly switch back to the main menu when watching Netflix every 5 to 20 minutes. I can still use the game controller for watching Netflix, but it is not the same.

The hardware appears strong, but the games line-up is weak, which is what lets the console down. I had great fun with some of the games, but there needs to be more choice as this console matures.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6