Profile for Tom Wise > Reviews

Content by Tom Wise

Tom Wise (Richmond, VA)

What Do Buddhists Believe? (What Do We Believe)
What Do Buddhists Believe? (What Do We Believe)
by Tony Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview, 6 Sept. 2006
This is the best basics of Buddhism book that I have read. It covers the major schools by skilfully bringing together the essentials without being distracted into comparisons.

Also an interesting read for long term practioners to see how a uniting overview can be made.

The Skeptic's Dictionary: A Collection of Strange Beliefs, Amusing Deceptions, and Dangerous Delusions (Social Science)
by Robert Todd Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Feb. 2006
I love this book. It is an entertaining list of information exposing the frauds that convince so many people. No wonder some people come out in spots seeing their favorite vanities and conceits outted.

Building Regulations in Brief
Building Regulations in Brief
by Ray Tricker (MSc IEng FIET FCIM FIQA FIRSE)

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 27 Jan. 2006
I have tried to give this book time but I have come to the conclusion the problem is not just me. I do not enjoy reading books of regulations, but I really do not think the macro or micro approach of this book helps. Some areas such as bathrooms for disabled get pages but trying to find regs on the placement of standard sockets or thickness of joists defeats me. Could be me but my conclusion is that the dense text hides a lack of organisation and clarity. There has to be something more practical out there. Its not expensive and there is good information in it but it is, in my view, not the answer the write-ups suggest.

And There Was Light
And There Was Light
by Jacques Lusseyran

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful book!, 11 Jan. 2000
This review is from: And There Was Light (Paperback)
It is a wonderful book that can be enjoyed by anyone. Inspirational and gripping.
Buy the book plus four more copies to send to friends.