Profile for Celtic Edgewalker > Reviews

Celtic Edgewalker

Total Embrace: fully being human
Total Embrace: fully being human

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul food for living a full-on life, 13 Feb. 2015
'Total embrace is radically opening, vulnerably receiving the gift of life' (Cassandra Eve)
This book is worth getting simply for Chapter 1 on Radical Honesty. As Cassandra says: "Honesty’s gift is to open us to the real". She backs up her insights up with real life, vulnerable, personal, heart pounding examples. Here's a woman who's strived to live her life with an open heart. This is not some Guru's 'How to' live life perfectly book. This is a woman being open and vulnerable with her life journey, sharing what fully being human means for her. For me the book provides space, at time an opening soul chasm, to reflect on my life experiences and what I've learnt from them. This book allows you to draw your own conclusions, walk you own path, whilst at the same time learning from Cassandra's own life journey. If you want a "How to" book (which you'll not probably not take action on anyway) then look elsewhere. If you want a book to be a soul companion, to dive into your life's journey with, and to emerge the other side that bit wiser, then choose this book.

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPhone 3G / 3GS - (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money!, 13 April 2012
I had tried the cheaper iPhone 3GS screen protectors and had been left with bubbles, frustration and an unsightly mess in the process.
I shelled out the £7.97 for two screen protectors and have been delighted with the result.
The first one went on with little fuss, after making sure my screen was crystal clean first, using the cloth provided and following the good instructions.
Once on I can't tell that it's on and the display is still crystal clear.
5 stars, highly recommended - Loved the free chew too!

Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More
Zero Limits: The Secret Hawaiian System for Wealth, Health, Peace, and More
by Joe Vitale

1.0 out of 5 stars Less marketing, more content for me please, 15 Mar. 2011
I love the concept of Ho'oponopono and I bought this book expecting to learn more about how to actually do it.

I read all about the results of Dr Hew Len's work in healing a ward full of criminally insane patients and there was a whole chapter, called "The Evidence" 33 pages devoted to delighted customers saying just how life changing the Ho'oponopono workshop they had paid for had been. But few details.

There was no definitive description of how to actually do it.
Some descriptions said you simply need to say "I love you" many times.
Some stories spoke of saying "I love you, I'm sorry, forgive me, thank you" over and over.
Some stories reversed the order of how you said it and I was left confused and in need of a workshop to explain it all!

At one point in the book Joe says on page 47 "Again I'm forbidden to share the intimate details of the workshop. I'm serious. I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement. Mostly it was to protect the privacy of the attendees. But I can tell you this: It is about taking full responsibility for your life"

So Joe has written a book, where he has signed a non disclosure over sharing the details?!

The last page invites you to buy a downloadable course on zero limits or to actually experience a zero limits seminar with Dr Hew Len and Joe Vitale.

If you want an introduction to the concept of Ho'oponopono and are interested in its results then this book is for you.
If you want to learn how to actually do it, then this book is not for you, you need to buy the supporting materials.

My experience with the book was that I was left feeling short changed and frustrated.
Such a shame, such a shame.

Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings
Benedictus: A Book Of Blessings
by John O'Donohue

4.0 out of 5 stars A modern book of blessings, 30 April 2008
John O'Donohue's death earlier this year was a sad, sad loss.
Heard him at Greenbelt in 2007 and he was simply awesome.

If you've not read any of his books, then I would not advise you starting with this one. Start with Anam Cara, which in my view is his masterpiece.

This book of blessings will make much more sense after you've read Anam Cara and perhaps one of his other books first, like Eternal Echoes.

If you have read one of his earlier books then this book will be a treasured resource for you to dip in and out of. John O'Donohue is a wordsmith of the highest order and his turn of phrase is delightful.

He covers themes such as Beginnings, Desires, Thresholds, Homecomings, States of Heart, Callings and Beyond Endings.
It is a book of poetic blessings in his unique Celtic style.

I have used the blessings to encourage family and friends and I too have found solace in the wonderful imaginative depth of his words.

It receives 4 stars, as Anam Cara must rank higher with 5 stars.

100 Days On Holy Island: A Writer's Exile
100 Days On Holy Island: A Writer's Exile
by Peter Mortimer

2.0 out of 5 stars Falling between three stools, 12 Aug. 2007
This is not an exposition of one of Europe's most important Christian centres, nor a passionate account of the Holy Island's idyllic setting, nor a great diary account of people and relationships on Holy Island 2001.
To be fair Peter Mortimer warns the reader that his book will not delve into the spiritual heritage. He concentrates on the people there today, but the impression I get is that they avoided him like the plaque to a large extent as they knew he would write about them.
I read it through but found it a highly disappointing read.
The character and relationship narratives were poor and the writing was disjointed. He says in the book that he aimed to write 1,000 words a day and at times I felt he was struggling to do this with any substance or quality.
Knowing Holy Island, although no doubt true to Mortimer's experience, he simply fails to capture the warmth, beauty and magic of the place and its people.
He was only there 100 days and given the severe illness of his Mother at the time of writing, I was left feeling 'edgy', as I simply felt that he should have left the island to dedicate more time caring for her.
Unless you're a big fan of his previous material, I would give this one a miss and seek out better books on Holy Island.

Transfiguration: A Meditation on Transforming Ourselves and Our World
Transfiguration: A Meditation on Transforming Ourselves and Our World
by John, Sj Dear

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational reading, 10 Aug. 2007
I heard John Dear speak at the 2007 Justice and Peace annual conference in the UK and he was awesome.
I bought this book at the event and have been blown away by its depth.
This is not a sit down and read book, it's a sit down, meditate, make notes and be changed sort of book.
His handling of the transfiguration - walking with Jesus up the mountain, on top of the mountain and going down the mountain to your Jerusalem is simple and deeply profound at the same time.
This book excited and challenged me deeply.
Be careful though. It's also not a book to put down and forget about. It has a transformational haunting quality to it. I'm currently re-reading it and finding new insights for my life.
If you get the chance to hear John Dear speak then do so. If you can get hold of a copy of this book then I would urge you to do so.

Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-controlled Church Neutered the Gospel
by Tony Campolo

3.0 out of 5 stars A self fulfilling prophecy, 10 Aug. 2007
I'm afraid that this book misses the point. A Campolo and McLaren double feels disjointed, it doesn't flow and you feel like they are both to some extent shackled by the other.
McLaren in his own book 'A New Kind of Christian' is simply superb.
In this book he hardly gets out of second gear. It leaves you feeling that there's so much left unsaid. Sorry, but it was an unsatisfying read.
By all means borrow it and dip into the odd chapter (it's probably more of a dipping in book) but if you really want to get into the emerging church then you can do much better elsewhere.

Eleven Minutes
Eleven Minutes
by Paulo Coelho

2.0 out of 5 stars Shallow love offering from Paul Coelho, 10 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Eleven Minutes (Paperback)
I bought this book as I loved 'The Alchemist' and was eager to hear what
Paul Coelho had to say about love.
If you're after a 'nice' but tame novel on the depths of love then this would be decent, enjoyable holiday reading.
However, if you're looking to continue to build on the depths of Alchemist, then I would suggest you check out Erich Fromm's 'The Art of Loving'.
The fact that I bought this book from a '£1 for any book' store, probably
tells its own story.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a camera, 1 July 2007
I was after a point and shoot camera for my wife, which would be easy to

use and take good pictures.

The reviews of the F20 were excellent and the camera has been a revelation.

Intuitively it is very easy to use. The resulting photos are stunning.

It easily beats my Canon Ixus 400, which was three times the cost.

My serious camera is a Nikon digital SLR and I'm very tempted to replace

my portable Ixus with an F20, it's that good for portability and results.

It's ability to shoot in low light is superb and I can testify that its

flash results are some of the most natural shots I've seen.

At this price (£99) you get a sturdy feeling camera (not plastic like

many at this price point) which is a joy to use and produces great

results.