Profile for Louise G > Reviews

Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Maloof

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Finding Vivian Maier [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first heard about Vivian Maier through a viral posting on Facebook and was intrigued to learn more. This is a really interesting and enjoyable documentary. The story of John Maloof discovering Vivian's photos, his mission to gather and curate them (over 100,000 pictures!), share them with the world, and the uncovering of the person behind the pictures is truly incredible.

I found the documentary to be well paced, revealing, with excellent contributions from the art / photography world, as well as those who knew this mysterious woman (and who now realise how little they knew!) - employers, children she nannied, discovered family, and finally, poignantly, those that knew (of) her in her later years. A curious mix of contradictions, a light and dark side, whether she lived her way, or yearned for belonging, or suffered mental illness. Of course the art - the incredible street photography with those faces that look right at you, and also the wonderful film footage speaks for itself and there is plenty of that included. Highly recommended viewing and you will find yourself wanting to know and experience this remarkable woman's work more.

Mitre JNR Lite 360 Ball - White/Blue/Silver - 5
Mitre JNR Lite 360 Ball - White/Blue/Silver - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a kickabout, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent - good quality ball at a reasonable price. Great that it is a little lighter but heavy enough to not affect play. Inflated really easily (I didn't have the recommended lubricant but it was fine). Kicking it about the street in no time with the kids :). And it is a proper football not some cheap rubbish from a toy shop. Well made and easy to clean - should last a long time.

Soybu Women's Zoimou Pak Belt - Synergy, Medium/Large
Soybu Women's Zoimou Pak Belt - Synergy, Medium/Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Super comfy, practical and looks cool!, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who shamelessly wears my running belt everywhere as I don't want to lug around a bag just for a key, phone and card, I thought this might be a more stylish option. I absolutely love it! Really comfortable and the medium / large is fine for me as a size 10 but would work for a couple of sizes up. The material is very stretchy and stays in place mostly (occasional tugging!).

There are just 2 pockets:
- 1 zipped that is just about big enough for a phone front right. This also has a small hole for headphone cable to feed through and a reflective strip above the zip which is good for out running.
- 1 top opening front left - nothing would fall out due to the stretchy fabric) for whatever you like. Bit small for a phone - bit of cash, gym card?

Seems well made and it zips open and closed with Velcro to keep the seam flat so it should stay on anyone!

You can wear it down on your hips or to cover your tum. Looks stylish with black leggings or trousers and I like the purple, grey and black stripe fabric very much. Best thing though is you have both hands free and no stupid handbag!!

Have missed off a start because it seems a little pricy and I'd have liked another zipped pocket - maybe a key sized one would make it perfect. I think I will wear this a lot though. Has already been out on a couple of runs :)

TTfone Mercury 2 Big Button Basic Senior Unlocked Sim Free Mobile Phone with Dock - Black
Offered by TTsims

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple phone just not simple enough!, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has been given to my mother in law to use as she is a complete techno-phobe. She is using it but after 4 weeks now can still only just about make and receive a phone call. It is as much as I had hoped really!

Pros:
Good battery life, big buttons, charging doc is good.
The emergency call/text function could prove very useful and was easy (for me) to set up
Good clear screen with some colour.
Sim free - transferred an old sim no bother.

Cons:
Can't change ringtone - only seems to be one installed and it is a bit wierd
Text quite hard to read as it is so big
Address book fiddly - comes up with options rather than just straight to call
Mother-in-law can't get the hang of it. Texting is not very easy.

Not tested other functions and my mother in law certainly hasn't!

Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle (7th Generation), Black - will not fit Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage or previous generation Kindle devices

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough case with good protection. Folds right back for one handed reading, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fits my paperwhite Kindle perfectly with access to the on/off switch and charger. Tough case with good protection. Nice soft feel to it. Very tactile. Folds right back for one handed reading. The cover doesn't stay closed (no magnetic closure or clasp). Doesn't seem to send my Kindle to sleep as mentioned in the description but that may be my Kindle being an older version - I've had mine a year or two and have no idea what generation it is as it doesn't say on it! Nonetheless it fits and I'm happy with this case. Boring black if you like that kind of thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2014 9:50 PM GMT

Philips Friends of hue Personal Wireless Lighting Iris Starter Kit (1 LED Iris Mood Light, 1 Bridge)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic colours, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well it is very odd looking but casts a lovely mood light. A big bowl shape with a flat bit so it sits at a tilt like in the picture. I already had a bridge connected to my wifi and the new light connected to that fine alongside the other Hue lights I have.

The range of colours is amazing - the full spectrum to choose from and fully dimmable. Pretty amazing really. With other apps like Hue Disco you can have it strobing and changing colour to the music and that's really cool. Kids love it. Loses a star because there is no way to control it other than via the phone app. You can switch it off and on in the colour you last set it to but no other adjustments. So anyone that uses it needs a smartphone.

I see there is a different non-wifi version they do - Philips LivingColors Iris Colour Changing Mood Light with its own remote control (but that won't work with apps). I think having its own remote is more practical if you have just one lamp. If you want several to create different effects (and have money to burn!) then the Hue wireless system is great.

If I lived on my own in a swanky apartment I'd have loads of these Hue lights. As a lighting solution for a family home it doesn't really work for me. I like this one in my den though!

The Boy in the Book
The Boy in the Book
by Nathan Penlington

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, different, thought provoking book, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Boy in the Book (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really interesting book. Starts out as a bit of a mystery after the author Nathan finds a scrap of a diary in a collection of Choose Your Own Adventure books nostalgically bought on eBay. Through searching for the truth behind Terrence Prendergast's teenage scrawls, Nathan explores his own obsessions originating from the loneliness of a childhood interspersed with long periods of illness. It explores shyness, bullying, suicidal thoughts, the choices we might have made, and how we end up where we are. His obsession with Terrence reaches stalker levels at several points! That all sounds a bit dark but I found it rather optimistic and hopeful in the end. The book is "almost" true. I would have loved to see the author perform the live version in his "Choose your own documentary" show.

ADIDAS Revenergy Boost Ladies Running Shoes, Purple, UK7
ADIDAS Revenergy Boost Ladies Running Shoes, Purple, UK7
Offered by Start Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit was good - got half size up from normal for feet ..., 21 Oct 2014
Got these the day before I ran a marathon in them! Fit was good - got half size up from normal for feet to have room. Also as I have quite wide feet and had heard these were a little narrow. No chafing or blisters and toes still all intact. I don't really notice the "boost" as such, but they are light and comfortable and I felt OK after the marathon so they must be good! Colour said purple but they are the bright pink as per the picture. Very snazzy I think.

Karin Herzog Vita-A-Kombi Oil Anti-Ageing Face Oil for Dry Skin 15 ml
Karin Herzog Vita-A-Kombi Oil Anti-Ageing Face Oil for Dry Skin 15 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Premium product at a premium price, 17 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this now for 3 weeks and can confirm that my (mid 40s with one or two wrinkles!) skin does feel smoother and better conditioned. I use it every morning. 2 drops from the pump dispenser needed and the oil spreads evenly over the face and absorbs within a few minutes. It doesn't feel greasy to me and I have combination skin. Then I use my regular day moisturiser which I apply later before I leave for work. It has a pleasant smell (not overpowering - pretty neutral I'd say). My face feels nourished and being someone who enjoys being outdoors in all weathers I haven't had any of the dry skin patches I sometimes get, particularly around the nose and forehead.

So I really like the product and it only loses a star because I am less keen on the price. The claims seem fairly dubious but using a nice quality oil on your face is certainly going to protect it I would think. I would add that after 3 weeks I am about half way through the bottle, so it would need repurchasing fairly regularly and I'd probably look at cheaper alternatives.

Philips hue lux Personal Wireless Lighting Starter Kit (2 x A19 E27 LED Light Bulbs, 1 Bridge)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lights. Technology works. Might annoy the non techies in the house!, 14 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are nice light bulbs. The light is soft and bright. They will work like normal bulbs using the traditional light switch method too! Connecting the bridge was easy enough although it is another flashy light thing sat in the TV area of the living room already ablaze with the modem and router and other gizmos. The Hue app on Android was easy to find. It worked first time, found the lights OK and very easy and instant to dim or switch off the lights using the app. Sometimes when I go into the Android app it doesn't show the lights right away until I switch them off and on again so it is not perfect. Also no use if the wi-fi drops as it is prone to do. I have one of the coloured mood lights as well so tried all 3 with the Hue Disco app which is great fun and works well, having the lights respond to sound, strobing on command, etc. so there is a lot you can do with them. Check out all the other apps available.

All this is absolutely no use to Nana however when she is round at the house child minding! My husband also "can't see the point", so while I think they are pretty cool and like to sit in my den with fab ambient lighting, they won't make it round the rest of the house just yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16