Profile for Louise G > Reviews

Content by Louise G

Louise G "loolabub" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
Epson Pulsense PS-100 with Activity and In-Built Heart Rate Monitor - Medium/Large, Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Works with nothing!, 25 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Frustrating! Tried this with Nexus 4 on Android 4.4.4 - app downloads but cannot connect to the device in spite of an hour of trying. Also tried with iPad which is supposed to be compatible according to the website, but that would not even find the app. Prior to that tried an iPhone 4 which downloaded the app but again would not connect (Epson only says iPhone 4s and later so I'll forgive them that last one). So there you go. Have tried 2 devices stated as compatible but I am no closer to being able to use it.
Oh and I must stress that the PS100 model cannot upload data to a PC. Apparently you can view it but can only upload using a compatible phone - if such a thing exists!
Sounds really good on paper if you are lucky enough to find a compatible device but I cannot recommend anyone to buy this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2014 4:42 PM GMT

Woolly Woofers
Woolly Woofers
by Debbie Bliss

4.0 out of 5 stars Great novelty knitting for dog lovers, 25 Nov 2014
This review is from: Woolly Woofers (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great novelty knitting for dog lovers. A great selection of cute, fun, smart and wacky designs for dogs of all sizes. Mainly coats but some bandanas and even hats. Being small projects mainly these would be a good way to try out different techniques as there is some fairisle, cable, interstarsia. I adore the Parka Barker (yes it has a furry hood!) and can't wait to start on that! Instructions are clear. As with all Debbie Bliss books these are for her yarn brand but quite frankly those are a bit posh and pricy and impractical for dogs so I'd work out cheaper equivalents. Great for knitting dog lovers and the pictures are very cute with real dogs in their knitted finery set on a an arty sketched background.

Garmin Large Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue
Garmin Large Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, accurate, motivational, 25 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this as a step up from my Vivofit which has served me pretty well. This design is about 1/3 slimmer than the vivofit and looks pretty cool. Rather than the lcd of the vivofit which stays on all the time, this has a display that only illuminates when you tap the watch or receive an alert. And then you move between displays and functions by tapping and sliding which always impresses people. The smart though needs charging around once a week (seems to last longer than this though) whereas the fit has a watch battery lasting a year. Given that you wear these 24/7 the need to charge is a slight inconvenience. Also to read the display you need to double tap it. Often a few times. This makes it a bit annoying when you want to check the time!

Pedometer works well and seems accurate. The alarm function is easy to set via the watch menu and wakes you up with a gentle buzz. The buzz also reminds you when to "move!" when you have been inactive and gives alerts if connected to your phone. There is the option to record activities with a simple stop/start and save function. This uses the same activities section in the Garmin Connect app/webpage as for a GPS watch and as I use a GPS to time my running I only used the activity tracker function once but it worked well.

Connectivity is where I have had problems. I have a Motorola E phone which is not high end and it connects only sometimes. I haven't worked out how or why it works sometimes and not others and I have to enter a Bluetooth pass key most times. This is a shame as there are all the alert functions that I cannot use. Also you should be able to stop/start fast forward a music player on your phone via the watch but it won't work for me as the connection is not reliable. There is also a usb connector that you can use to download data onto PC and also to charge the device, so sometimes that is just easier. I like the cable connection better than the horrible ant stick that comes with vivofit.

Garmin Connect is really good, particularly if you sign up for challenges or set goals which is really motivating! The sleep monitoring is a bit of a let down as it only records movement and gives no other feedback, but is still a bit interesting. I keep mine on all the time and it is comfortable and never falls off due to a handy retainer bit for the strap.

So I think this is a very good activity tracker but only spend the extra over a vivofit if you have a high end iPhone or Samsung to make use of the extra features. Check the garmin website for compatibility.

Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Maloof

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Finding Vivian Maier [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first heard about Vivian Maier through a viral posting on Facebook and was intrigued to learn more. This is a really interesting and enjoyable documentary. The story of John Maloof discovering Vivian's photos, his mission to gather and curate them (over 100,000 pictures!), share them with the world, and the uncovering of the person behind the pictures is truly incredible.

I found the documentary to be well paced, revealing, with excellent contributions from the art / photography world, as well as those who knew this mysterious woman (and who now realise how little they knew!) - employers, children she nannied, discovered family, and finally, poignantly, those that knew (of) her in her later years. A curious mix of contradictions, a light and dark side, whether she lived her way, or yearned for belonging, or suffered mental illness. Of course the art - the incredible street photography with those faces that look right at you, and also the wonderful film footage speaks for itself and there is plenty of that included. Highly recommended viewing and you will find yourself wanting to know and experience this remarkable woman's work more.

Mitre JNR Lite 360 Ball - White/Blue/Silver - 5
Mitre JNR Lite 360 Ball - White/Blue/Silver - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a kickabout, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent - good quality ball at a reasonable price. Great that it is a little lighter but heavy enough to not affect play. Inflated really easily (I didn't have the recommended lubricant but it was fine). Kicking it about the street in no time with the kids :). And it is a proper football not some cheap rubbish from a toy shop. Well made and easy to clean - should last a long time.

Soybu Women's Zoimou Pak Belt - Synergy, Medium/Large
Soybu Women's Zoimou Pak Belt - Synergy, Medium/Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Super comfy, practical and looks cool!, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who shamelessly wears my running belt everywhere as I don't want to lug around a bag just for a key, phone and card, I thought this might be a more stylish option. I absolutely love it! Really comfortable and the medium / large is fine for me as a size 10 but would work for a couple of sizes up. The material is very stretchy and stays in place mostly (occasional tugging!).

There are just 2 pockets:
- 1 zipped that is just about big enough for a phone front right. This also has a small hole for headphone cable to feed through and a reflective strip above the zip which is good for out running.
- 1 top opening front left - nothing would fall out due to the stretchy fabric) for whatever you like. Bit small for a phone - bit of cash, gym card?

Seems well made and it zips open and closed with Velcro to keep the seam flat so it should stay on anyone!

You can wear it down on your hips or to cover your tum. Looks stylish with black leggings or trousers and I like the purple, grey and black stripe fabric very much. Best thing though is you have both hands free and no stupid handbag!!

Have missed off a start because it seems a little pricy and I'd have liked another zipped pocket - maybe a key sized one would make it perfect. I think I will wear this a lot though. Has already been out on a couple of runs :)

TTfone Mercury 2 Big Button Basic Senior Unlocked Sim Free Mobile Phone with Dock - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple phone just not simple enough!, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has been given to my mother in law to use as she is a complete techno-phobe. She is using it but after 4 weeks now can still only just about make and receive a phone call. It is as much as I had hoped really!

Pros:
Good battery life, big buttons, charging doc is good.
The emergency call/text function could prove very useful and was easy (for me) to set up
Good clear screen with some colour.
Sim free - transferred an old sim no bother.

Cons:
Can't change ringtone - only seems to be one installed and it is a bit wierd
Text quite hard to read as it is so big
Address book fiddly - comes up with options rather than just straight to call
Mother-in-law can't get the hang of it. Texting is not very easy.

Not tested other functions and my mother in law certainly hasn't!

Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle (7th Generation), Black - will not fit Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage or previous generation Kindle devices

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough case with good protection. Folds right back for one handed reading, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fits my paperwhite Kindle perfectly with access to the on/off switch and charger. Tough case with good protection. Nice soft feel to it. Very tactile. Folds right back for one handed reading. The cover doesn't stay closed (no magnetic closure or clasp). Doesn't seem to send my Kindle to sleep as mentioned in the description but that may be my Kindle being an older version - I've had mine a year or two and have no idea what generation it is as it doesn't say on it! Nonetheless it fits and I'm happy with this case. Boring black if you like that kind of thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2014 9:50 PM GMT

Philips Friends of hue Personal Wireless Lighting Iris Starter Kit (1 LED Iris Mood Light, 1 Bridge)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic colours, 26 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well it is very odd looking but casts a lovely mood light. A big bowl shape with a flat bit so it sits at a tilt like in the picture. I already had a bridge connected to my wifi and the new light connected to that fine alongside the other Hue lights I have.

The range of colours is amazing - the full spectrum to choose from and fully dimmable. Pretty amazing really. With other apps like Hue Disco you can have it strobing and changing colour to the music and that's really cool. Kids love it. Loses a star because there is no way to control it other than via the phone app. You can switch it off and on in the colour you last set it to but no other adjustments. So anyone that uses it needs a smartphone.

I see there is a different non-wifi version they do - Philips LivingColors Iris Colour Changing Mood Light with its own remote control (but that won't work with apps). I think having its own remote is more practical if you have just one lamp. If you want several to create different effects (and have money to burn!) then the Hue wireless system is great.

If I lived on my own in a swanky apartment I'd have loads of these Hue lights. As a lighting solution for a family home it doesn't really work for me. I like this one in my den though!

The Boy in the Book
The Boy in the Book
by Nathan Penlington

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, different, thought provoking book, 25 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Boy in the Book (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really interesting book. Starts out as a bit of a mystery after the author Nathan finds a scrap of a diary in a collection of Choose Your Own Adventure books nostalgically bought on eBay. Through searching for the truth behind Terrence Prendergast's teenage scrawls, Nathan explores his own obsessions originating from the loneliness of a childhood interspersed with long periods of illness. It explores shyness, bullying, suicidal thoughts, the choices we might have made, and how we end up where we are. His obsession with Terrence reaches stalker levels at several points! That all sounds a bit dark but I found it rather optimistic and hopeful in the end. The book is "almost" true. I would have loved to see the author perform the live version in his "Choose your own documentary" show.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17