Profile for Louise G > Reviews

ByteStor Pro 16GB 45Mbps Class 10 High Speed SDHC Card
ByteStor Pro 16GB 45Mbps Class 10 High Speed SDHC Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Working great in my digital camera, 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Working great in my digital camera. Good price for plenty of memory. I would tend to compare the memory size and "Mbps" (megabits per second- higher the better) and compare makes on price. I have bought lots of cards over the years of different makes and never had a duff one. I'm not an expert and just need storage for back up, transferring files and in my camera. This suits just fine but a quick comparison of other brands shows you could get the same spec a wee bit cheaper at the moment. The memory size is more than enough for most snappers and the transfer speed from card to pc. If you want to take lots of video get a bigger card. If you just want tonnes of snaps even high res this is plenty. This is a full size SD card, as used by most cameras as opposed to a micro SD that you tend to need with phones. It is great that you can get all this memory so cheaply these days!

Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
Tsunami Kids: Our journey from survival to success
by Paul Forkan

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An incredible true story of an unconventional childhood, the tragedy of the tsunami that changes everything forever, and the creation of a successful global business. This is not great writing or storytelling - there is a lot of repetition and I didn't really feel I got to know or understand the family in any depth. The book is authored by ""the Gandy Brothers" - Rob and Paul Forkan, but it is actually only Rob's narrative throughout. It would have been good to have more than one perspective. This is real life though not fiction, so regardless it is a story worth telling. Inspiring stuff.

Oral-B Pro CrossAction 600 Power Electric Toothbrush - Pink, 6 Units Per Case
Oral-B Pro CrossAction 600 Power Electric Toothbrush - Pink, 6 Units Per Case
Offered by Save071713

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toothbrush - as recommended by the dentist, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Was recommended this type of brush (spinning head) and Oral B in particular, by my dental hygienist at a recent visit for gum problems. Have been using it for a week and it has really impressed me. Using as directed by the hygienist - holding the brush against the tooth (not brushing) with the brush angled towards the gum line, it gives comfortable and efficient cleaning. The angled bristles really seem to get into the nooks and crannies. Charge holds well too. I have charged it once seven days ago (initial charge takes nearly 24 hours) and it is still operating fully after a week of brushing 2 x 2 mins per day.

I downloaded the app and was confused by the connectivity to start with. The app says to press the bluetooth button but there is none on this brush. It can connect to the app by sound, with the 2 minute timer on the app starting when it hears the brush going. On my phone it kept stopping and starting so is no use. Easier just to press start and stop on the app. The app is a bit of a gimmick but works well and because the timer is split into quarters you can concentrate on spending 30 seconds on each quadrant of the mouth, as recommended by the dentist. You get some cheesy "keep going" and "well done" encouragement, and it delivers your diary messages, news headlines and the weather while you brush, which is quite good. It records your stats and probably gives you badges and stuff like most of these things but i don't think i'll keep taking my phone to the bathroom!!

Overall this is an excellent brush that keeps your teeth really clean and your gums healthy. Everyone should have one - mush more effective than manual brushing. Also much better than the sonicare one that I had prior to this.

Igenix DF0006 Portable Clip 2 Speed Fan, 15 W, White
Igenix DF0006 Portable Clip 2 Speed Fan, 15 W, White
Offered by The Tech Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and cooling, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good size and effective fan. Not too noisy. Easy to assemble from the box - needed just one screw to attach the base clip to the fan. Says it is 6 inch but actually 8 inch if you are measuring the "cage" and then a bot more for the chunky base clip. It is all white so looks fairly smart. The clip is sturdy and strong but needs a decent edge to secure it to - a shelf or table for example. The fan can be rotated up/down/side-to-side to get the right direction. Doesn't swivel itself like a full size desk fan, but then it is a more compact, low cost version. I am sure it will get lots of use on those long hot summer nights (if we get any!!). Lovely and cooling.

Coding for Kids For Dummies
Coding for Kids For Dummies
by Camille McCue

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written but a shame it requires additional purchase to take learning beyond 35 day trial, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book teaches you how to use the coding language MicroWorlds EX. You get a free trial version to download lasting 35 days / 90 saves-allowed. There is a "deep discount" of 70% on the full version saving around $70, meaning that the full version would be around $30.
I had not heard of MicroWorlds EX. My daughter has heard of Scratch, which which it is compared and she seems to get on OK with that (which is free and pretty intuitive). My daughter is 8, i.e. a kid. This is called Coding for Kids and I think it is too tricky for her to read and learn from, at least by herself. Having not done any coding/programming myself since the days of visual basic and O'levels many years ago I thought I'd give it a go myself.
The book is set out in a series of projects over 5 weeks. 3 projects a week. Each would take around 2 hours if you really play around with them. Before the projects, the introduction / getting started section explains the basics - downloading and starting the software, what the main commands and spaces do. Most of the jargon gets explained although I was baffled by talk of turtles initially!

First project is creating an "Art Toy" programming in various command buttons to generate pretty and colourful spirograph patterns. I found the basic "primitive" commands easy to learn and recall and was soon putting them together in procedures. The end result was fun and pretty satisfying so I am encouraged to keep on with it. I like how it lets you make your own choices right from the start to encourage experimentation and creativity.

I always find the For Dummies books really well set out and this is no exception. Boxes provide, tips and explanations to help you really understand the subject, There is also, as usual, additional content on the Dummies website, including a cheat sheet and a bonus project. Once I understand it better myself I will work through it again with my daughter. It seems to be not as easy as Scratch (although I've only briefly played with that), which I think is good because you have to understand and remember more. It is just a real shame that the coding language used in the book is not free or included with the purchase of the book. I may well decide that it is not worth purchasing the full version meaning the book is wasted once the trial is expired.

Braun Face SE80 Replacement Cleansing Brushes 2 Pack
Braun Face SE80 Replacement Cleansing Brushes 2 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleansing brushes for Braun SE820 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush, 24 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are replacement brushes which are identical to those used in the Braun SE820 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush. I don't know why the title says hair removal pads as they don't remove hair! They do however get your skin nice and clean using the the Braun brush attachment which I am really pleased with so good tostock up on replacement parts.

Braun SE820 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush
Braun SE820 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations!, 24 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a bit sceptical about this product based on the only review at the time. How much better would it be than a pair of tweezers and some wax strips? the answer is much better! While not particularly hairy, I have dark, coarse eyebrows and annoying occasional thicker, darker hair on the upper lip and chin. The epilator was really easy to use with two directions for erffective plucking and gave a really smooth finish such as I have only had from professional threading. It was really effective getting the minute hairs from under the eyebrow and eliminating any "mono-brow"!!! You do still need good tweezers for the fine shaping.

The facial brush is also great and the heads are really easy to change over. The brish is nice and soft and my skin felt really clean and smooth after using with a small amount of facial wash. Gives the face a good massage too. You can use it in the shower and easy to clean with a quick rinse. Comes with a replacement brush and you can buy spares too.

Great product

Revell Multicopter Hexatron
Revell Multicopter Hexatron

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun but a bit flimsy., 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Revell Multicopter Hexatron (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First thing to note is it is massive! 82cm wide to be precise. Next thing is that the manual says it is not a toy, and is for age 14 and above, whereas box says 8+ in very big letters. Naturally my daughter is very disappointed that only I get to play with it. It is very lightweight, with the main frame being a high density polystyrene and the propellers are thin plastic.

Charged the battery in a couple of hours. There are some scary warnings about the battery - not leaving it unattended while charging, only charging in a fireproof area (?), risk of explosion!! I covered it with a saucepan to be on the the safe side ;). Remote control needs 6 batteries which are not supplied.

Finally I got to play with my new not a toy toy. By this time it had got dark, which is brilliant because it has all these coloured LEDs on it. I read the instruction manual carefully and it gives some good tips for beginners. So for my first flight I just concentrated on getting it to hover in the air and moving it up and down. Looks awesome in the dark with the lights glowing - like a UFO. The controls are really sensitive. Tap it up too far or too quick and it shoots right up in the air. I was lucky it didn't end up on the roof. It drifts about a bit even before you start using the banking and forward/back controls, so it was bashing into the house and garden walls and bushes rather a lot and nearly lost it over in the neighbours garden! After a minute or two I was getting the hang of it and had it zooming around the garden but eventually a crash too many resulted in one of the the polystyrene "wings" snapping around the time the 5 mins battery life was coming to an end. I've glued it back together so hopefully it will be OK for next time. It was a lot of fun for those 5 minutes. There is a lot you can do with the controls - up/down, bank left/right, forward/back, rotate left/right. You can tell which is the front of the unit because of the two white LEDs, which really helps with the control. There are various adjustments I don't understand yet.

I would say it is a cool, fun machine, looks amazing with the lights, but not very durable handled by an amateur!

Philips InfraCare HP3643 650 W Infrared Lamp Half Body Treatment
Philips InfraCare HP3643 650 W Infrared Lamp Half Body Treatment

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing way to sooth aches and pains, 14 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this to speed up repair and sooth sore muscles and aches from distance running. Not so young now I get the odd niggle! I wasn't convinced at first but have found it to be incredibly relaxing and the warmth really does sooth those aches.

The unit is pretty big and came in a huge box. The base is heavy and this gives it great stability. Easily assembled, the poles connect together one way only and attach to the base, with the lamp unit attached to the top. The base can be adjusted up and down to get the right height, locking in securely with a twist. The lamp head can be kept upright, angled overhead tilted, sideways, etc, and is big enough to treat nearly half the body (e.g. the whole of your back, lower back and thighs), in one go. A 15 minute cut off switch means you don't need to worry about falling asleep under it (this has happened - so relaxing!). It makes a humming noise while the light is on, but along with the glow I find that very soothing. Tilted upright like in the picture, with the poles then collapsed, it can be compactly stored in a cupboard or corner of the room, however as I use it most evenings I've just left it out by my bed :)

The Legend of Frog
The Legend of Frog
by Guy Bass

4.0 out of 5 stars Catastrophe Pants, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Legend of Frog (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fun book to read with my daughter. Frog, a mighty prince, is hatched from a golden egg, saved from the end of the world by Buttercup, loyal subject of the King and Queen of Everything, raising him on The Island at the Edge of The End of the World. Feeling destined for greatness he dons his Catastrophe Pants, his wooden sword Basil Rathbone, and sets off on a raft over the ocean to the World, which it turns out hasn't ended after all. Accompanied along the way by his trusty steed Sheriff Explosion (a sheep) and aided by a rarewolf he seeks out his castle where a false princess sits on his throne and his princely greenness is taken for a Foul Gobbin. Thereafter the origins of the princely golden egg are gradually revealed and thus ensues a crazy battle with alien forces. It is a tale full of bravado, and wisecracking inventive language and humour that kids should love. The plot is not subtle and nor should it be. It is a rollicking, wacky adventure for kids and silly grown-ups to enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19